Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Fosfomycin for Prostatitis 2018 Latest Info 

Post Fosfomycin for Prostatitis 2018 Latest Info
Hi All, on my first anniversary symptom free after successful fosfomycin treatment for my recurring haemophilus infection.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1969

I was disappointed others who tried fosfo didn't have complete cures like I did, though many haven't found cures with the more traditional sulfa/quinolone anti-B's either. Sulfa/quinolones and fosfo all seem to knock back acute infections quite well, & as fosfo is a much more benign med regarding side effects, I feel it's important to keep this med on a front burner. It appears to be as effective for initial treatment of acute infections and knocking back flares in resistant chronic infection as the more risky sulfa/quins, and is much safer.

I still think of you guys & wanted to post the latest evaluation of fosfo (published Jan 30, 2018). There is a wealth of new info here, along with a new dosing protocol.

http://prostatitis.org/redirect.php?lin ... 8/1404813/

Review Article
Oral Fosfomycin for the Treatment of Acute and Chronic Bacterial Prostatitis Caused by Multidrug-Resistant Escherichia coli
George G. Zhanel, Michael A. Zhanel, and James A. Karlowsky
Department of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Max Rady College of Medicine, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Correspondence should be addressed to George G. Zhanel

Received 15 August 2017; Accepted 19 December 2017; Published 30 January 2018

The Abstract:
Acute and chronic bacterial prostatitis in outpatients is commonly treated with oral fluoroquinolones; however, the worldwide dissemination of multidrug-resistant (MDR) Escherichia coli has resulted in therapeutic failures with fluoroquinolones. We reviewed the literature regarding the use of oral fosfomycin in the treatment of acute and chronic prostatitis caused by MDR E. coli. All English-language references on PubMed from 1986 to June 2017, inclusive, were reviewed from the search “fosfomycin prostatitis.” Fosfomycin demonstrates potent in vitro activity against a variety of antimicrobial-resistant E. coli genotypes/phenotypes including ciprofloxacin-resistant, trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole-resistant, extended-spectrum β-lactamase- (ESBL-) producing, and MDR isolates. Fosfomycin attains therapeutic concentrations (≥4 μg/g) in uninflamed prostatic tissue and maintains a high prostate/plasma ratio up to 17 hours after oral administration. Oral fosfomycin’s clinical cure rates in the treatment of bacterial prostatitis caused by antimicrobial-resistant E. coli ranged from 50 to 77% with microbiological eradication rates of >50%. An oral regimen of fosfomycin tromethamine of 3 g·q 24 h for one week followed by 3 g·q 48 h for a total treatment duration of 6–12 weeks appeared to be effective. Oral fosfomycin may represent an efficacious and safe treatment for acute and chronic prostatitis caused by MDR E. coli.

-------------------

Please take some time and explore the entire paper for detailed information.

I dearly hope it will help some of you to freedom from CBP. For chronic relapser's, you might prefer using fosfo to knock back flares, rather than the more toxic options (sulfa/quins).

Godspeed, & Best of Luck!

Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]