Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 DRE exam 

Post DRE exam
Now during the DRE can the doctor actually feel your entire prostate? Having examined pictures of where the prostate is compared to the other surrounding organs, it appears there is a whole side which is beyond the reach of someone's finger going in? Is this right or can the doctor feel the entire organ? I would think he would only be able to tell if it's enlarged if he actually felt the whole organ rather just a portion of it?

Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:10 am

Post Re: DRE exam
It's the size of a walnut

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:00 pm

I would think the same, winglets. Exactly. It's a BPH test more than a prostatitis test. I think there's an inconsistency between that test and urine test too. How would a bacterial infection show up in a urinalysis or a PSA and be confirmed to infect the prostate? and how would a DRE confirm the same?

I think with the condition of prostatitis, there needs to be an explanation of pain sources and causes... not merely whether it's bacterial or not. Similar to diving in a lake with a purported overabundance or dangerous presence of bacteria. Even if the bacteria is in there, it also contains other dangers and risks.

Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:07 pm

presto423 wrote:
I would think the same, winglets. Exactly. It's a BPH test more than a prostatitis test. I think there's an inconsistency between that test and urine test too. How would a bacterial infection show up in a urinalysis or a PSA and be confirmed to infect the prostate? and how would a DRE confirm the same?

I think with the condition of prostatitis, there needs to be an explanation of pain sources and causes... not merely whether it's bacterial or not. Similar to diving in a lake with a purported overabundance or dangerous presence of bacteria. Even if the bacteria is in there, it also contains other dangers and risks.

I don't think I have an infection/prostatitis. I had urine result come through and it was normal..no bacteria found, no blood found in the urine.

Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:42 pm

DRE is also a test for Prostatitis not just BPH

In the case of Prostatitis , the prostate will feel tender to a Urologist and this is usually the first step in diagnosing in Prostatitis. A MRI is usually followed up to confirm this diagnosis.

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:02 pm

Pritesh wrote:

In the case of Prostatitis , the prostate will feel tender to a Urologist and this is usually the first step in diagnosing in Prostatitis. A MRI is usually followed up to confirm this diagnosis.

Ah ok the doctor (GP not urologist) who did the DRE did mention anything about tenderness but just said it was a little large but wonderfully smooth.

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:11 pm

winglets wrote:
Pritesh wrote:

Ah ok the doctor (GP not urologist) who did the DRE did mention anything about tenderness but just said it was a little large but wonderfully smooth.

When are you due to see a Urologist?

Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]