Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 8:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 worried about prostate cancer - irregular symptoms 

Post worried about prostate cancer - irregular symptoms
I'm 34, male and for more than 2 months now I've been experiencing some strange, vague symptoms. It’s like a slight sensation of awareness with a slight urge to pee and this occasionally disturbs my sleep waking me up occasionally. It's more like a strange awareness. Ill wake up to this around 3/4 am, sometimes 1am, so only an hour after falling asleep. Other times though, I have just gone back to sleep instantly and it's been fine. The only other noticeable symptom is this slightly strange, taste in my mouth upon waking when I’m feeling like this. What can that be due to?

My urination habits have been a bit irregular. For example yesterday I went once in the morning around 7am and then drank loads during work (maybe around 2l) and didn’t need to urinate until 6pm and then only went one more time after that. No bloating or fullness at all. This is what has been normal for me my whole life. But then today, I woke up with that slight urge/sensation, peed once (not a huge amount) then went back to sleep woke up for work (peed then as well again not much) then at work I drink 2 small cups and I’m already feeling a little bloated and uneasy. Just makes no sense. Sure I’m not going like 10 times a day but for someone who can usually hold it in for an entire working day, I am disturbed by this change.

I've never had pain or burning or straining when peeing and there's no pain whatsoever anywhere else. Possibly occasionally a strange feeling AFTER I’ve peed.
I've had urianalysis samples done 4 times, all normal, tested my blood glucose level several times using home testing kits before/after meals and that's normal too. I had a DRE and now this is what I’m worried about. The doctor said my prostate was slightly enlarged however it was very smooth and normal in that regard. It shocked me because I didn't expect someone my age to have this but the doctor wasn't overly concerned about it and said it's not abnormal and this can happen. Nevertheless it's got me really anxious now. He gave me a PSA form so I'm going to go and get that done. I realise that prostate enlargement is a benign condition and there is no link to cancer but I don't know, I'm a little worried because I’m not meant to get this at my age. Am I right in thinking that the smoothness and surface/texture of the prostate is more important than the actual size?

He thinks that my symptoms are more likely due to a slight over-active bladder than anything else and more concerned with my anxiety levels.

I suppose I do have health anxiety and tend to think the worst when it comes to symptoms i.e. cancer.
Even if I get told, “oh this is so unlikely to happen etc” I’ll worry and think well what if I’m the rare case etc.

Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:16 am

Post Re: worried about prostate cancer - irregular symptoms
Winglets, the best advice I can give you is stop worrying. You’re a relatively young man with a prostate. At some point the majority of men are going to have prostate trouble of one kind or another in their life. It comes early for some, later for others, but there is nothing unusal about a man having prostate trouble. Stress and constantly focusing on it, thinking every little thing is somehow related to it, these things will literally consume your days if you let them. One more piece of advice. Direct your energy elsewhere. Ask your Dr for something for anxiety or try something you can get without a script.

Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:08 pm

Madcap wrote:
Winglets, the best advice I can give you is stop worrying. You’re a relatively young man with a prostate. At some point the majority of men are going to have prostate trouble of one kind or another in their life. It comes early for some, later for others, but there is nothing unusal about a man having prostate trouble. Stress and constantly focusing on it, thinking every little thing is somehow related to it, these things will literally consume your days if you let them. One more piece of advice. Direct your energy elsewhere. Ask your Dr for something for anxiety or try something you can get without a script.

You're right I am struggling somewhat to deal with my anxiety I guess. I can't even focus at work as I'm spending my time on prostate cancer forums and dominating them one by one.

Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:45 pm

If you're worried, why don't you go see a doctor? I think that could give you peace of mind

Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:32 am

eadk wrote:
If you're worried, why don't you go see a doctor? I think that could give you peace of mind

Yes have seen him and done the tests, waiting for the PSA result.

I'm still having these and and off strange urinary patterns with disturbed sleeping patterns too where I'd wake up at like 1am and then sometimes at 5am. I've had urianalysis samples done 4 times, all normal, tested my blood glucose level several times using home testing kits before/after meals and that's normal too.

Yesterday for example I drank around 3.5l but then voided a total of almost 4.5 litres! But then today I've voided around 900ml and drunk around 2l. Most other days it's been an average of around 1.6 - 2.5 litres which is fairly normal. However on occasions I'll sometimes have an urge to pee twice in 2 hours DESPITE NOT HAVING DRUNK in between. In other words, say I drank 1.5l, about an hour later, I'll get the urge to go and void 700ml and then another hour later I'll get another urge and void the same amount. Why is this? My bladder filled up despite not having drink anything in between. I wonder if this is simply the extra urine that was waiting to be emptied from my kidneys into my bladder or what? Also these liquids I’ve drunk are not just water, but tea and coffee as well.
My flow rate is fine and again no straining, burning, no pain etc.
That's why I'm confused as to whether it's my prostate or something else.

Another big thing is that I occasionally feel a little off after I peed, like “on edge” almost rather anxious and not quite myself. Can’t quite describe it. Then other times where I feel totally normal. Comes and goes. This is the same kind of sensation I've felt waking up in the middle of night.

Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:51 pm

winglets wrote:
eadk wrote:

I'm still having these and and off strange urinary patterns with disturbed sleeping patterns too where I'd wake up at like 1am and then sometimes at 5am. I've had urianalysis samples done 4 times, all normal, tested my blood glucose level several times using home testing kits before/after meals and that's normal too.

Yesterday for example I drank around 3.5l but then voided a total of almost 4.5 litres! But then today I've voided around 900ml and drunk around 2l. Most other days it's been an average of around 1.6 - 2.5 litres which is fairly normal. However on occasions I'll sometimes have an urge to pee twice in 2 hours DESPITE NOT HAVING DRUNK in between. In other words, say I drank 1.5l, about an hour later, I'll get the urge to go and void 700ml and then another hour later I'll get another urge and void the same amount. Why is this? My bladder filled up despite not having drink anything in between. I wonder if this is simply the extra urine that was waiting to be emptied from my kidneys into my bladder or what? Also these liquids I’ve drunk are not just water, but tea and coffee as well.

Another big thing is that I occasionally feel a little off after I peed, like “on edge” almost rather anxious and not quite myself. Can’t quite describe it. Then other times where I feel totally normal. Comes and goes. This is the same kind of sensation I've felt waking up in the middle of night.

Tea and coffee both have a diuretic effect due to the caffeine, so they will pull the fluids out of your body, this could be why you are urinating more than usual. My advice is to stop drinking tea and coffee and just stick with water for maybe a week and see if you are still urinating a lot.

You said you had a urinanalysis done, i'm assuming it's to check for bacteria in the prostate? A lot of the times the bacteria won't show up in a urinalysis and it could be due to the biofilms making the bacteria undetectable. For me, I was diagnosed with chronic nonbacterial prostatitis because the urologist that I went to didn't find any bacteria in my urine. I sent my semen sample and prostate fluid sample to an independent lab to get it tested and guess what? They found bacteria. So my "nonbacterial" prostatitis was bacterial all along, the urinanalysis just didn't show it. My second advice is to find a urologist that is willing to perform a prostate massage to collect prostate fluid and culture that fluid for bacteria and also to collect a semen sample and culture that one too. Hold off on the prostate massage until you get the results for your PSA levels to make certain it's not cancer (which I doubt).

The feeling "off" or "on edge" is probably the anxiety of thinking it's prostate cancer. Right now you don't know anything yet so don't assume the worst, actually, don't assume anything until you get your results. There could be 20 possible causes for your symptoms right now, not just prostate cancer and worrying about it doesn't make a difference as you are waiting for your results. The only difference that worrying makes is it's going to stress you out the more you ruminate about it. My third advice is to stop asking questions related to prostate cancer, don't search up the symptoms of prostate cancer, don't read about prostate cancer, stay away from the forums for now, and just don't do anything that will give you a sense of reassurance that you don't have prostate cancer. It seems like the more questions you ask about prostate cancer, the more doubt it creates in your mind, so it's better to just let the thought go for now until you get your results and focus on other things in your life.

Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:06 am

eadk wrote:
winglets wrote:
eadk wrote:

Tea and coffee both have a diuretic effect due to the caffeine, so they will pull the fluids out of your body, this could be why you are urinating more than usual. My advice is to stop drinking tea and coffee and just stick with water for maybe a week and see if you are still urinating a lot.

You said you had a urinanalysis done, i'm assuming it's to check for bacteria in the prostate? A lot of the times the bacteria won't show up in a urinalysis and it could be due to the biofilms making the bacteria undetectable. For me, I was diagnosed with chronic nonbacterial prostatitis because the urologist that I went to didn't find any bacteria in my urine. I sent my semen sample and prostate fluid sample to an independent lab to get it tested and guess what? They found bacteria. So my "nonbacterial" prostatitis was bacterial all along, the urinanalysis just didn't show it. My second advice is to find a urologist that is willing to perform a prostate massage to collect prostate fluid and culture that fluid for bacteria and also to collect a semen sample and culture that one too. Hold off on the prostate massage until you get the results for your PSA levels to make certain it's not cancer (which I doubt).

The feeling "off" or "on edge" is probably the anxiety of thinking it's prostate cancer. Right now you don't know anything yet so don't assume the worst, actually, don't assume anything until you get your results. There could be 20 possible causes for your symptoms right now, not just prostate cancer and worrying about it doesn't make a difference as you are waiting for your results. The only difference that worrying makes is it's going to stress you out the more you ruminate about it. My third advice is to stop asking questions related to prostate cancer, don't search up the symptoms of prostate cancer, don't read about prostate cancer, stay away from the forums for now, and just don't do anything that will give you a sense of reassurance that you don't have prostate cancer. It seems like the more questions you ask about prostate cancer, the more doubt it creates in your mind, so it's better to just let the thought go for now until you get your results and focus on other things in your life.

Thanks for the reply. I just got the result from my urine sample back and it was normal – no blood or bacteria found but this has done nothing to settle my nerves.
If anything I feel even more nervous now.
You’re right my mind has been consumed with thinking the worst, even though as stated, the chances at my age are microscopic. Even so, I just fear getting the result back from the PSA. I hate waiting.

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:28 am

HI, you need to stop thinking the worse and stop looking for and listening to everything you hear or think you hear going on in your body.Being honest i'm going to say this and hope it helps your going to drive yourself insane as be happy and be grateful all your test came back negative. Your mind is over acting from your anxiety. Your young and try and enjoy life and not running around to Dr's as i have been there and done that so i know from past experience what i'm talking about, your going to start to make them think if not already your crazy as it's all in your head. Stop looking for problems as hey if you keep looking then will you be happy if they found something?

Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:03 pm

bythebay wrote:
HI, you need to stop thinking the worse and stop looking for and listening to everything you hear or think you hear going on in your body.Being honest i'm going to say this and hope it helps your going to drive yourself insane as be happy and be grateful all your test came back negative. Your mind is over acting from your anxiety. Your young and try and enjoy life and not running around to Dr's as i have been there and done that so i know from past experience what i'm talking about, your going to start to make them think if not already your crazy as it's all in your head. Stop looking for problems as hey if you keep looking then will you be happy if they found something?

I got my psa done and it was normal but just a few things...
How do PSA levels increase? I know as you get older they get raised but what is the acceptable level of increase say per year? Or does it not work that way?

Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]