Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Flomax or some other way to increase urine flow? 

Post Flomax or some other way to increase urine flow?
I got my second bout of Prostatitis X-mas Day. But because I knew the symptoms, I was quick to diagnose it, and saw a doctor as soon as I could. Cipro caused problems for me (and scares me), so 2 days after X-mas I started with Septra DS. It worked BETTER than the Cipro did last time!

Aches and pains and most discomfort in my groin and prostate area are gone! What still remains is a little urgency to pee suddenly, and a weak stream.

Regarding the weak stream, everything mechanically feels close to normal, but when I relax and try to let it pour, a weak stream comes out, even though it doesn't feel like it should? (Meaning I don't have the burning or discomfort I associated with an impaired stream from last time?)

Should I get a prescription for Flomax or some similar alpha-blocker to get things moving? Or should I just let my healing take it's course, assiste dby the Septra DS? I feel like if my pee pressure was good, I would already feel like I can go back to normal life and it has only been a week! (Knock on wood.)

Anything wrong with Flomax while you are still fighting Prostatitis?

Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:16 am

Post Re: Flomax or some other way to increase urine flow?
Joe I would give it time to return to normal on it’s own. Inflammation is usually the cause if the decrease in flow occurs during a bout of prostatitis. Flomax can help along with other drugs like it but they come with side effects you probably won’t like. Allowing your body to heal, assuming the flow doesn’t get worse, might be the best option now.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:12 am

Hey Madcap,
funny to see you weighing in on THIS thread. I did my research and will NOT be trying Flomax. It completely parallels the Cipro thing. Flomax also can cause permanent side effects. When I read something has permanent side effects, even when rare, to me that is almost only justified if we are talking about something like cancer and end-of-life scenarios. Certainly having a weak urine stream does not justify any risks whatsoever, in my opinion.

Thank God for the internet!!! Where you can educate yourself and are not at the mercy of the medical community and what they deem to share with you. :)

Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:33 pm
Site Admin

Just a note. We aren't here to play "Gotcha!" with one another. There are many things I would do in my treatment that some of you would never consider. There are things that you might do that would never cross my mind to try.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:13 pm

Joe I was actually on flomax for several years. It was one of the first things my urologist put me on. It did help initially, and the side effects were not that bad. Problem was that I reached a point where I wasn’t sure if it was doing anything I couldn’t duplicate with supplements, and as I had been told by my family Dr the side effects did become worse the longer I was on it.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:35 pm

Re: Flomax or some other way to increase urine flow?
Administrator wrote:
Just a note. We aren't here to play "Gotcha!" with one another. There are many things I would do in my treatment that some of you would never consider. There are things that you might do that would never cross my mind to try.

Sorry, I do not know at all what you mean or what you are getting at? Can you mention specifically what you are highlighting? (I am not being confrontational. I am confused.)

ADMIN NOTE:
This post below could be taken many ways. This site is brought to you by a board of medical people with every intent to advance our knowledge of what is happening with this disease process. You may know MadCap personally, but we have had issues previously where one poster begins slowly at first, but then gets into a mass post war against another poster. It wasn't meant to be a slap or anything, but I was noting that we can have differences of opinion here. Again, it wasn't a slap, just a note to remind people we are here to help each other. If it was meant personally, I would have sent you a PM. How is it they say, 'no autopsy, no foul.' We have no issues, I just know that we have more 'lurkers' than we have members.

Hey Madcap,
funny to see you weighing in on THIS thread. I did my research and will NOT be trying Flomax. It completely parallels the Cipro thing. Flomax also can cause permanent side effects. When I read something has permanent side effects, even when rare, to me that is almost only justified if we are talking about something like cancer and end-of-life scenarios. Certainly having a weak urine stream does not justify any risks whatsoever, in my opinion.

Thank God for the internet!!! Where you can educate yourself and are not at the mercy of the medical community and what they deem to share with you.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:09 pm

Thank you Admin for explaining. I get it now.

I think I poorly worded my position. The fact is I am in agreement with Madcap here, for the same reason I agreed with him in a different thread. That is what I was trying to say, rather clumsily. :)

Anyway, I know I am new here and have yet to earn a reputation. I am confident in time I will prove to be one of your least controversial members. I just want to learn more, and don't have any interest in "winning" any internet arguments. That aside, thanks for running a tight ship, Admin. :)

ADMIN NOTE: Not a problem sir! We are good. I rarely interject and only do so to steer away from problems. I've had no issues with you and I don't expect any. You've been very informative so far.
Stay warm!

Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:19 am

Every now and then I take half a floxmax capsule, which is 0.2mg. It seems to work just as well as the 0.4 strength it comes in. You can get empty capsules online, from amazon, vitamin shoppe, etc.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]