Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 A Note From A Reader 
Site Admin

Post A Note From A Reader
ADMIN NOTE: On occasion, we get emails from people who aren't members. This is one of those situations.

I am enclosing my story in case it might be of some use in your research.

My story-very short version. I developed chronic prostatitis sometime around 1997. My prostate was enlarged, inflamed, and boggy. Beginning at that time, my GP treated it with antibiotics and manual drainage. I would get better for about 6 months, then relapse. He repeated the treatment. After several rounds of this, my doctor sent me out to a urologist, who said I would just have to live with it and handed me something like 4 different drugs to try. I can’t remember what they were, one was Proscar, but they were not antibiotics. He told me that the problem was not bacterial, I told him that every time my doctor put me on antibiotics and drained my prostate it would get better for a few months. The urologist said that was coincidental.

Eventually, the episodes got closer and closer, until the pain was nearly continuous. A new problem arose, the antibiotics actually made it worse. The only thing that was helpful was drainage. I began a search on the internet for help, and found your site. Through your site I found Dr. Polacheck. I decided to go and give him a try. In October 2007 I spent three weeks in Tucson, and went through his therapy. By the end of the three weeks I was dramatically better than I had been in years. Dr. Polacheck sent me home to be under the care of my doctor. I stayed on antibiotic for 18 more months. Every week I would go to my doctor, he would massage/drain my prostate, and check the discharge for white blood cells. Week by week the white cell count would fall a little, with periodic spikes, but overall falling. Dr. Polacheck had predicted that this would be the progression. Dr. Polacheck told me not to stop the therapy until the white cell count went to almost zero. After 18 months of antibiotics and weekly drainage by my doctor the white cell count went to nearly zero. We continued on the antibiotics and drainage for one more month while the white cell count was nearly zero. I have not had a flare-up since.

From my view I had bacterial prostatitis that had become antibiotic resistant. The drainage seemed to push the infection out, or allow the antibiotic in.

Dr. Polacheck had me begin self drainage at his visits beginning in 2007, and I have continued the self drainage every day (sometimes twice a day for the first year or so) for nearly 10 years. I believe that the drainage is what is keeping my prostate disease free. My doctor told me at my last checkup that my prostate had the size and feel of a 30 year old. I am 54. It had shrunk in size and had become healthy. Through the self drainage I can find spots that are soft and/or inflamed. If there is any discomfort, through the drainage, the relief is usually immediate.

I hope you will continue to research therapies that include drainage.

Note from the Prostatitis Foundation:
Doctor Polacheck has retired.

Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]