Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 First time with Prostatitis. Advice ? 

Post First time with Prostatitis. Advice ?
Hi Guys,
Got diagnosed with prostatitis for the first time a week back. I only had some of the signs, increased frequency every 45 min to 1 hour, burning in the urethra which seemed worse after urination, esp post ejaculatory urination.

I've been on doxycycline and saw palmetto since then and my symptoms are almost gone. The burning is gone, except for a very occasional twinge for a few minutes after urination, esp if the urine is concentrated. Frequency has decreased to about every 2 hours if I'm not chugging down water and every 1 hour if I drink lots of water.

One thing I've noticed is that I still have low ejaculatory volume and velocity compared to before. Also I still have urinary hesitancy and a bit of dribbling but the volume has increased a lot from when the symptoms were at their peak.

Reading on these forums, It looks like it vitally important to make sure that the cause is completely eradicated the first time otherwise there is a good chance of the condition becoming chronic.

I'd love to get advice from the members here about steps to take post the doxy stage. What tests should I have done ? Any long term
preventive measures ?

Update: Semen culture came back with 3 species of enterococcus. My Doctor says Enterococcus is common and is not necessarily the cause of the prostatitis, and since I'm responding to Doxycycline, I should continue with the course.

Thanks

Wed May 02, 2012 3:22 pm

Post Re: First time with Prostatitis. Advice ?
Hi Arun,

I am dealing with the same issues as you. Some days, my semen volume will be fairly large and other days its not. I still have the pee dribbles and have to stand at the toilet and squeeze my tip to ensure all of the drops go into the toilet and not into my underwear.

I pee normally and the urge and full bladder feeling has greatly decreased. My Uro felt my prostate at the end of March and said it felt completely normal and he said he thought I was on the road to recovery. I am feeling much better, but I am not back to normal. He told me to stay away from caffeine and alcohol, but as a 28 year old male with numerous weddings and social events, I just cannot do that. I also did not drink caffeine or alcohol for 6 weeks this past winter and I did not see any difference from when I did drink those things.

I'm not sure if this will ever completely go away, but I've learned to just deal with it and I am not in pain like I used to be. It's more of just an annoyance.

Next visit to the Uro is in June and I'm going to do a flow and possibly a scope to check for scarring or stricture. Fairly nervous about that, but it probably needs to be done.

Only thing other than having some mild burning when I pee and the dribbles, is that when I wake up in the morning and check my urethra, I tend to have a clear liquid in there like pre-semen almost. It never dribbles out or discharges and it's just enough to be visible. Not sure what it is, but I know that when its visible, I'm worse, and when it's not, I'm better.

I am going to request a semen culture next time I am at the urologist.

Mon May 07, 2012 11:56 am

CLCardinal84 wrote:
Hi Arun,

I am dealing with the same issues as you. Some days, my semen volume will be fairly large and other days its not. I still have the pee dribbles and have to stand at the toilet and squeeze my tip to ensure all of the drops go into the toilet and not into my underwear.

I pee normally and the urge and full bladder feeling has greatly decreased. My Uro felt my prostate at the end of March and said it felt completely normal and he said he thought I was on the road to recovery. I am feeling much better, but I am not back to normal. He told me to stay away from caffeine and alcohol, but as a 28 year old male with numerous weddings and social events, I just cannot do that. I also did not drink caffeine or alcohol for 6 weeks this past winter and I did not see any difference from when I did drink those things.

I'm not sure if this will ever completely go away, but I've learned to just deal with it and I am not in pain like I used to be. It's more of just an annoyance.

Next visit to the Uro is in June and I'm going to do a flow and possibly a scope to check for scarring or stricture. Fairly nervous about that, but it probably needs to be done.

Only thing other than having some mild burning when I pee and the dribbles, is that when I wake up in the morning and check my urethra, I tend to have a clear liquid in there like pre-semen almost. It never dribbles out or discharges and it's just enough to be visible. Not sure what it is, but I know that when its visible, I'm worse, and when it's not, I'm better.

I am going to request a semen culture next time I am at the urologist.

Thanks for the reply ClCardinal84, I'd recommend a semen culture or an EPS culture too as it is likely to identify the pathogen in the Prostate. I had a couple of symptom free days a few days back but some of the symptoms esp frequency have increased a bit recently. Also I find sitting on a hard surface uncomfortable now. Never had it before. I'm wondering if the initial relief of symptoms was just due to the ani inflamatory effect of the antibiotics.

Wed May 09, 2012 7:09 am

I suggest you guys look into Dr. Atilla Toth
just google his name and visit his website.
read his page on prostatitus.

good luck !!

Mon May 14, 2012 4:58 pm

Sounds good but from what i know Dr Toth specailizes in Obstetrics and Gynecology so how does that tie in with Male problems let alone Prostatitis and if so what cure does he have or just another book written? Thanks for your input.

Mon May 14, 2012 8:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]