Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Concerned that I have an STD and not prostatitis? 

Post Concerned that I have an STD and not prostatitis?
Ok, so, I'm 27, 5'10, 157lb. I want to post the stats because I just don't think prostatitis is something developed from bodily health where weight / diet is concerned. I exercise frequently.

My initial symptoms were some slight burning at the tip on urination, and some post urination burn and leakage. Weak-ish stream, frequency with not much urine, testicular aching, etc.

I immediately thought urologist, not STD, and saw a urologist. I am assuming he diagnosed prostatitis because it's just "what he does". Only now am I considering STD because honestly one of the girls I fooled around with lately, I'm not sure I would consider that clean. Also, my urine is pretty foggy in the toilet if I don't drink copious amounts of water and in the initial onset of the symptoms it actually looked like there was sediment in it. The thing that made me think STD was that, I could smell my urine from where I was standing, even though it looked relatively clean. And also that it just seems more likely.

So, the doc prescribed levaquin for 21 days. I read about the side effects, changed to bactrim. I took levaquin for 3 days and today is my second day of bactrim. I am kind of floundering on taking antibiotics without knowing for sure. I don't want the bacteria to build resistant to what I am taking. On top of that, bactrim does not treat chlamydia or gonorrhea at all. My understanding is levaquin can treat both. I was also considering treating both.

Tomorrow I have an appointment at a family practice to get an STD test. My understanding would be there's a single 1g dose of an ABX and 7 days of another for chlamydia and doxycycline for gonorrhea. I'm just afraid I'm wasting precious time seeing doctors and getting tests run when I have levaquin on hand, even though of the possible side effects.

What would you guys recommend? Should I cease taking the Levaquin / Bactrim and just wait for the STD results? Can I take both ABX at the same time?

Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:44 pm

Post Re: Concerned that I have an STD and not prostatitis?
Depending on what's found, look into fosfomycin, it has less side effects than the quinolones, or sulfa / bactrim. You could also ask for a 1 gram, or 2 gram shot of rocephin and see how that makes you feel.

Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]