Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 What all should I have my semen culture tested for? 

Post What all should I have my semen culture tested for?
Hey everyone.

It's been 3 years since I was diagnosed with Chlamydia that then turned into prostatitis. My pain has been off and on. Sometimes it's horrible, other times it's very manageable. It's mostly in my rectum area and my testicles. Personally I believe since this started bacterial, that my prostatitis is bacterial. But I have no proof. I'm weary the Chlamydia or some other bacteria has been hiding in my prostate all this time. I've been on several antibiotics over the past few years, but I've never had a semen culture.

This year I would like to pay ONE visit to my urologist and be as thorough as possible with it. This will be my "last stand" with this urologist, so to speak. If it doesn't work out, I may attempt to switch to another. I want to go in and get a urine culture/analysis for anything and everything.

And the BIG thing I want to do is finally get a semen culture, and test it for EVERYTHING I possibly can, assuming their labs permit.

I want to make a list of things I should mention to my urologist that I'd like to get the semen culture tested for. Can anyone shed some light on things to test for? I've seen some people say to recommend letting the culture grow for longer than typical too? Unsure. I've also seen people say to test for fungus?

Thank you.

Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:22 pm

Post Re: What all should I have my semen culture tested for?
Hi York,

Are you in the USA by chance? If so, have your doctor use labcorp test code 183111, then call the labcorp number and ask for a lab that cultures semen. They have a few in their network, but not all will take it. Your doctor will have to send it off to one of those.

Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:48 am

Inflamed wrote:
Hi York,

Are you in the USA by chance? If so, have your doctor use labcorp test code 183111, then call the labcorp number and ask for a lab that cultures semen. They have a few in their network, but not all will take it. Your doctor will have to send it off to one of those.

Inflamed,

I am in the US! So should I call labcorp and ask for that lab first? Does it matter where it's located? Once I locate the lab then go into the doctor and suggest it?

Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:00 am

Hey York,

Yeah man, call labcorp and ask for the nearest lab to you that takes semen samples. You can print the test description from their website and take the print out to the doctor with you, lookup that test code 183111. That test covers aerobic and anaerobic bacteria.

If the doctor gives you a hard time, tell him you joined a prostatitis support group, and this is one of the tests senior members are advocating.

Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]