Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Does green semen mean a bacterial infection? 

Post Does green semen mean a bacterial infection?
I was diagnosed with a prostate infection four months ago. After a short course of Cipro, the pain returned. After a longer course of Cipro, the pain returned again.

I'm no longer taking antibiotics and trying alternative methods. The pain comes and goes. I was convinced I have chronic nonbacterial or chronic pelvic pain.

Today, I gave myself a prostate massage, ejaculated, and my semen was green or greenish. Does this mean I have a bacterial infection? Or could it be something else?

I don't want to go back on antibiotics. The pain always returns after its course and I think the antibiotic only helps due to its anti-inflammatory properties. But now I'm worried I actually do have a bacterial infection and need an antibiotic.

Thoughts? Advice?

Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:23 pm

Post Re: Does green semen mean a bacterial infection?
How were you diagnosed? Did they do a urine, or semen culture? What did the results show? What species, etc? Green semen seems kind of suspect, it honestly sounds like an infection.

Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:13 pm

Is there an event or something you can remember that triggered the symptoms?

Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:30 pm

Inflamed - I was diagnosed by my primary care physician and then a urologist due to my symptoms and a DRE. Also, I had one about 15 years ago. I had a urine test that was negative (which I know is common). No semen culture was performed. I should add that I haven't had discolored semen over the past four months that I've been dealing with my prostate pain. Even yesterday it was milky white. It was just today, after the prostate massage, that it was greenish (almost like mucus).

Also, coincidentally, I have a terrible cold right now and I'm blowing my nose with a lot of green mucus. But that wouldn't affect my semen, right? I don't know. But it is a strange coincidence.

CerveloUK - Not really sure. I *thought* that it might have been caused by unprotected anal sex with my girlfriend. We rarely do it and had done it a week or so before my symptoms started. But I don't know. At the beginning, when I thought it was a bacterial infection, that was the only cause I could think of. But I've since suspected chronic pelvic pain because I've had issues with tight muscles when I'm stressed.

Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:46 pm

What bacteria was found initially

Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:13 pm

No bacteria was found. But my semen wasn't cultured, only my urine.

Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:42 pm

Chris_Myers wrote:
No bacteria was found. But my semen wasn't cultured, only my urine.

You need to go to a good Uro who specializes in chronic prostatitis, a Uro who can do a complete urologic exam including transrectal ultrasound, semen culture and who can do prostate massage and examine your expressed prostate secretion. You can not just simply assume that you have a non bacterial type just because you had a negative urine culture, especially that in your case your symptoms started following an unprotected anal sex. Here are some possibilities: You have a bacterial prostatitis but Cipro failed to completely get rid of the bacteria, or the bacteria is resistant to this particular antibiotics. Candida and virus can cause prostatitis too, if this is the case then Cipro wont be the drug of choice. Infection can cause nerve damage so it's possible that even you get rid of bacteria, you will still have some symptoms of pain and discomfort due to nerve damage. You can also be right about your symptoms not caused by bacteria but some other causes like neuromuscular\pelvic muscle floor dysfunction, autoimmune, sacro-iliac damage etc. Unfortunately this is a very complicated condition and western medicine has no clear idea of this and the reason why doctors are using the shot gun method approach of treatment. I advice you to avoid Cipro at any cost for this abx is notorious for it's toxicity. Start with diet modification and lifestyle changes. You may also want to explore herbal medicines. Private message me if you want to connect thru whattsapp or facebook messenger. I'm not a doctor and I can't diagnose you but I can probably advice you about diet, lifestyle changes, supplements etc.

Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:07 am

Today it was yellow-green. Definitely less green. And my cold is slightly improving. So I'm wondering if it has more to do with the cold.

Anyone else experience discolored semen with prostatitis?

Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:19 pm

Some of us have had brownish semen, but that's usually due to blood mixing with it. Greenish yellow is weird man, you definitely want to get that semen culture done, just to be sure. I don't think a cold would cause that, even if you had a sinus infection, etc.

Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:36 am

Inflamed wrote:
Some of us have had brownish semen, but that's usually due to blood mixing with it. Greenish yellow is weird man, you definitely want to get that semen culture done, just to be sure. I don't think a cold would cause that, even if you had a sinus infection, etc.

My semen has been yellowish for the past 4-5 years. I've read it's due to age, not ejaculating enough or from infection. Haven't had a positive culture in 4 years but my new urologist hasn't been able to get drops of prostatic fluid out since my old awesome one retired.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:12 pm

Yup, mine is yellowish as well...mentioned itmto uro and he didnt seem to care.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:34 pm

freakinfrustrated wrote:
Yup, mine is yellowish as well...mentioned itmto uro and he didnt seem to care.

Same. For Northwestern being a MAPP study hospital, they don't seem to know a lot now that my old uro retired. I've asked about semen culture and a rectal ultrasound and they acted like they had never heard of it.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]