Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Semen sample vs EPS sample for lab analysis of bacteria 

Post Semen sample vs EPS sample for lab analysis of bacteria
I have chronic prostatitis for 6 years now and I'm trying to determine what kind of bacteria is in my prostate and was wondering which method is a better method for the bacteria to show up on a lab analysis if the bacteria is contained within a biofilm. Semen sample or EPS? I would think that a semen sample wouldn't show the bacteria that is trapped inside the biofilm and a EPS would be a better option since for EPS, the doctor has to do a prostate massage which mechanically breaks up the biofilm and forces the bacteria trapped within the biofilm to come out which would show up on a lab result. I would think that a semen sample won't show the bacteria that are contained inside a biofilm the same reason as a urine sample won't..but I could be wrong? What do you guys think? I really need help on determining what type of bacteria I have and I'm almost certain that there is biofilm because this has been going on for 6 years now.

Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:12 pm

Post Re: Semen sample vs EPS sample for lab analysis of bacteria
It really depends. On a PES I had, it said coagulase negative staph. On the semen culture, it said enterococcus. It's frustrating. Might be good to run both tests if you can, just so you can compare the results.

Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]