Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Advice on what's to come? 

Post Advice on what's to come?
Hi all

I started having a constant urge to urinate about two weeks ago. I went to a doctor Tuesday last week and had urine tested (no bacteria) and then the finger test which the doctor said showed a small amount of swelling.

The doctor prescribed cypro for 28 days.

Since Tuesday I have not noticed any real reduction in symptoms which currently are still a constant need to urinate and pain in the penis after urination for 30mins to an hour. Then just a need to go with less pain. Also a feeling like something is swelling inside my back passage.

I realise that I am only on 6th day of the antibiotics, however from what I seem to be reading it rarely makes any difference. So I am wondering what's likely to happen next?

Unfortunately I am due to go on my honeymoon in two weeks and I am wondering how I am going to cope.

Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:04 am

Post Re: Advice on what's to come?
Sounds like you need to get on an alpha blocker, Flomax, or Cardura possibly. Also something for the inflammation, ibuprofen works well in the short term, herbals work much better in the long term. Maybe a semen culture as well, urine often shows no bacteria.

Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:55 am

Tough to say...everybody has different symptoms so its not exact...we are not even sure we have same thing. Prostatitis is a catch all of urogenital problems it seems.
Hope the antibiotics works for you...if not..
Plan on tryinv lots of drugs and antibiotics especially.
Lots of trips to the dr..uro...better uro....
Plan on reading alot on the net trying to figure what the heck is going on.
Probably a stab at changing your diet.
Probably a few different sets of fingers in your anus. (Not all at once..and you get used to it.)
Waking up to pee often (although that subsided for me after a few months)
Testicle discomfort is common
Urethral swelling and or burning is common although the burning is usually early on in the process. If you didnt have it already, you might not..luck you!!
Im sure others can share more.

Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:57 pm

HI,sorry to hear of your discomfort.My question is why did your Dr put you on Cipro for 28 days if you have no infection.Too many Dr's like to prescribe antibiotics when most cases there is no infection but what they do is give you something so that makes you feel like they are helping and so you feel better mentally.

All the best.

Gary

Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:03 pm

Thanks for both of those!

I think I should probably start making some notes about what I feel and when. Maybe a diary of some kind.

I have a terrible memory and i find it hard to judge how I feel vs any other time!

Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:13 pm

@Gary

I have no idea. I just followed the advice from my GP!

Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:51 am

ibuprofen, Naproxen, drinking more water, getting up and walking around every hour or two of sitting, and sitting on ziploc bagged ice with a dry hand towel wrapped around it are some things that helped me.

There is research that says free testosterone is converted to estrogen, and subsequently reduces testosterone levels, causing and contributing to inflammation and other problems. If you want a link to the article, link and I'll look for it, along with an article listing estrogen-blocking foods.

Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:57 am

Don't take Cipro (or any other fluoroquinolone) for a couple of weeks when no bacteria is found in your urine, EPS or ejaculate. Whats your daily dosage? 1x500mg? I took it twice, 10x2x500mg and ~35x1x500mg. To sum it up: I developed tendon problems, sleeplessness and my joint began to crack approximately 2 months after the second session. Now I am over 7 months out and my joints getting worse with no end in sight. Please take my advice.

Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:17 pm

I'd second staying away from cipro unless proven it is sensitive in a bacterial culture.

It's left me with mild nerve damage (FDA black box warning), I get pins and needles in my arms after exercise, numbness and cold flash over my arms too. It's slowly getting better but taking months and months

Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:24 pm

My advice to any guys in here with this condition:

AVOID TAKING CIPRO AT ANY COST, IT IS KNOWN FOR ITS TOXIC EFFECT AND LONG TERM SIDE EFFECTS, THERE ARE BETTER ABX OUT THERE OTHER THAN CIPRO

GO TO A URO WHO HAS KNOWLEDGE TREATING PROSTATITIS AND WHO CAN DO A COMPLETE UROLOGIC EXAM. THIS IS AN ILLNESS THAT NEEDS TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY!!!

Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:16 am

yakuh11 wrote:
My advice to any guys in here with this condition:

AVOID TAKING CIPRO AT ANY COST, IT IS KNOWN FOR ITS TOXIC EFFECT AND LONG TERM SIDE EFFECTS, THERE ARE BETTER ABX OUT THERE OTHER THAN CIPRO

GO TO A URO WHO HAS KNOWLEDGE TREATING PROSTATITIS AND WHO CAN DO A COMPLETE UROLOGIC EXAM. THIS IS AN ILLNESS THAT NEEDS TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY!!!

I agree, my first uro prescribed me every possible drug from cipro, Bactrim, and Levi. First thing they usually assume is an infection. Nothing worked! Cipro and levo messed me up. I went to a new urologist explained to him everything and he prescribed me an alpha-blocker. Three days in and my testicle pain is gone. Still got some irritation but I'm able tonurinate better and my pain has gone down. Avoid Cipro!!

Also I feel like a lot of guys here freak out about STD's and then freaking other guys out. If you're negative and don't trust test again. If you end negative again avoid strong antibiotics especially with no infection. This disease has the same effects as having one. Just be smart about your treatment it's your body.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]