Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Tested positive for gram negative staphylococci 

Post Tested positive for gram negative staphylococci
Tested positive for staphylococci following a prostate massage urine culture. What is the best antibiotic for this?

Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:54 pm

Post Re: Tested positive for gram negative staphylococci
Rocephin always provided me with relief when I was diagnosed with Coagulase negative staph. It was never enough to eradicate it though.

Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:26 pm

Inflamed wrote:
Rocephin always provided me with relief when I was diagnosed with Coagulase negative staph. It was never enough to eradicate it though.

Thanks! How long did you take it for?

Vancomycin seems to have one of the lowest resistance rates to that bacteria but is primarily IV and I heard it has some nasty side effects and quite a few people develop tinnitus after. Tecoplainin I saw had low resistance too but not sure how well tecoplainin can penetrate the prostate and may also be IV.

Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:49 am

I did a 21 day rocephin IV. I felt 95% normal during that, but once I stopped, it came back. It might work if it was combined with something else though, but you'll have to research it a bit to see. Semen culture is another option, just to confirm that GNS is the one that's got you.

Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:58 am

Yeah have to research some more.. not sure IV is an option for me, because I will have to take antibiotics when I'm getting shockwave therapy, which will loosen the bacteria. Not in my home town so will be traveling.

Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]