Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Is this enough for a diagnosis? 

Post Is this enough for a diagnosis?
I have had a three private urine cultures done now, the results as follows:

May 2017: 10,000 - 100,000 cfu/ml Enterococcus faecalis
June 2017: 10,000 -100,000 cfu/ml Enterococcus faecalis
August 2017: >100,000 cfu/ml Enterococcus faecalis

But urologist doesn't seem to think this is the problem? the sensitivity has all come back the same:

Ampicillin S
Nitrofurantoin S
Trimethoprim I
Cephalexin R

The NHS results always come back clear, but they even did when I had E Coli before and I have to prove with own tests I did actually have an infection.

Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:07 am

Post Re: Is this enough for a diagnosis?
You may have to find a private urologist. I would honestly call around and see if you can locate one who specializes in disorders of the prostate, preferably one who has successfully treated prostatitis before. Enterococcus faecalis is a common culprit of UTIs, your current urologist should not be practicing medicine.

You could also research which antibiotics have been known to kill enterococcus faecalis in the prostate and try to find some online. Teicoplanin is one medication that comes to mind. I remember seeing it available online, but it was expensive and it is a heavy one. Other than that, there's fosfomycin.

You could also print research articles and take them with you when you see the doctor. A good doctor will consider the information you bring as medicine is always evolving, and it's best to stay on top of new forms of treatment. Many of these doctors simply don't do their homework anymore, it's frustrating.

Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:50 am

Thank you for the reply, I did see a private urologist in the end who has put me on 3 months antibiotics, so we will see what happens.

Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:49 am

The urologist who thought this was not a problem is derelict of duty. These are high numbers and E. faecalis is a known prostate pathogen. Regular prostate massage is also in order.

Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:34 pm

Got a copy of the letter from the urologist to my doctor saying he still doesnt think the E. faecalis is the issue.

Can anyone recommend a good uro in the UK?

I dont really have any prostate issues, just right epdidmyi cyst pain and swelling in this area, red scrotal skin over it like the infection is here. E. faecalis culture positive and big redness of the meatus after ejaculation.

Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:45 pm

I get the swollen meatus after ejaculation as well...do you believe that there is something in the semen that irritates the meatus? Or some nerve irritation..or what?

Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:30 pm

Julian Shah is perhaps the top guy in the U.K. he works private and public. He is the only one I know of doing prostate massage and doing the EPS test.

Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:32 am

Regarding swollen meatus this is where I get confused as my test results all came back with zero white blood cells.

After more reading the swollen meatus could be down damaneged nerves from my original infection E. coli which I have cured. Apparently it can take two years for the nerves to settle down so I am confused whether I have an infection abroad or nerve damage causing flares.

Prostate massage and culture done my a URO showed no infection
Semen analysis showed count and could to be normal

But I still have these issues and you hear about negatives tests being fairly common even when you have an infection.

Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:21 pm

I get swollen meatus after masturbation but no real lady sex. If I don't masturbate my swelling goes away completely. And if I do internal massage after masturbation then I get very little swelling. Ergo I don't think swollen meatus is a clear sign of infection and can also be brought on by muscular and nerve irritation. The severity of my symptoms on a given day is correlated with the level of inflammation in meatus, it's sort of like a barometer of what's going on up in there.

Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:35 am

Thanks for your input prostate454, on another forum consensus is it's mainly nerve irratation but it's hard as it feels close to original infection

Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]