Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Xifaxan is helping me 

Post Xifaxan is helping me
After the latest round of Xifaxan, my prostatitis issues are getting better. I haven't had to take any alpha blockers, and the inflammation is going away. Ejaculations are much stronger as well. This is definitely making me think I'm still dealing with a flora problem in the small and large bowel, especially near where the prostate sits. I used to have burning and sharp pain when passing stools, but that's also getting better now. The problem is, if I stop taking Xifaxan, the symptoms return with a vengeance. I am thinking of staying on it for a couple of months, then stopping and introducing massive amounts of probiotic flora.

What's funny is I remember reading that there was some wellness clinic in the early 1900's where a doctor there specialized in giving patients yogurt enemas. It sounds nasty as hell, but maybe he was on to something, who knows.

I haven't officially started the paleo diet again yet. I did it successfully for 30 days, but I'm having trouble getting back into the routine of doing it again.

Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:48 pm

Post Re: Xifaxan is helping me
Hi Inflamed. Speaking of probiotics, I would like to add 2 things:

1. Prebiotics to feed your gut flora. One good prebiotics is resistant starch particularly the BOB'S RED MILL POTATO STARCH. It also helps repair your gut. I have been using it for the past 2 months and I can feel that gut flora has improved, I'm not suffering from gas, bloating and constipation anymore.

2. Saccharomyces boulardii - this is a probiotic in a form of yeast. It crowds out the bad bacteria in your gut and is proven effective to kill different candida strain especially those that form biofilm as their protective shield. I used it for two weeks together with other probiotics. Sold mostly in 5 billion per count. Aim for at least 20 billion per day.

Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:13 am

If you are interested in prebiotics I would look into reishi. Here is a paper in Nature (which is an awesome journal I would love to get into one day) talking about reishi being used as a source of prebiotics. This goes to show my ramblings about herbs may not be the ramblings of a mad man as I am sure some people think...! Reishi is supposed to have anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, and some anti-tumour activity too.

Delzenne, Nathalie M., and Laure B. Bindels. "Gut microbiota: Ganoderma lucidum, a new prebiotic agent to treat obesity?." Nature Reviews Gastroenterology & Hepatology 12.10 (2015): 553-554.

Yeah I don't do a strict Paleo diet, it is too hard for me. Because I am a vegetarian type as well I don't like eating all the meat. I just do a semi-paleo diet where I don't eat bread, pasta etc, refined sugars, milk, and do eat a bit of seafood and chicken now and again. I just have normal cereal for breakfast so I do get some carbs, but it is still low carb, which I think is the way forward.

Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:02 am

I guess the only thing that really concerns me about probiotics is a potential relapse of SIBO. If motility is off, bacteria tends to hang around in the small intestine and cause problems.

I did find something really interesting in a study I just read about xifaxan. Apparently it encourages growth of lactobacilius species in the ileum. This would mean that xifaxan may have a minimal, or no effect on lacto based floral species, which is really cool. If it encourages lactobacilius growth in the ileum, logically it would encourage it to grow elsewhere as well.

It's really irritating though that we can't get hard data on what species xifaxan kills. Maybe there's some out there, but I haven't come across it yet.

I had always thought combining antibiotics with probiotics was a waste of time, since the antibiotic will typically kill the probiotic (other than florastor's yeast). That might not be the case with Xifaxan though, which would be pretty cool.

Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:11 am

This is pretty cool, Xifaxan also encourages bifido bacterial species (large intestine) to grow. So, it doesn't look like lactobacilius and bifido species are affected to any extent by Xifaxan. Probiotics may work well with it.

OBJECTIVES:

Rifaximin, a rifamycin derivative, has been reported to induce clinical remission of active Crohn's disease (CD), a chronic inflammatory bowel disorder. In order to understand how rifaximin affects the colonic microbiota and its metabolism, an in vitro human colonic model system was used in this study.
METHODS:

We investigated the impact of the administration of 1800 mg/day of rifaximin on the faecal microbiota of four patients affected by colonic active CD [Crohn's disease activity index (CDAI > 200)] using a continuous culture colonic model system. We studied the effect of rifaximin on the human gut microbiota using fluorescence in situ hybridization, quantitative PCR and PCR-denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis. Furthermore, we investigated the effect of the antibiotic on microbial metabolic profiles, using (1)H-NMR and solid phase microextraction coupled with gas chromatography/mass spectrometry, and its potential genotoxicity and cytotoxicity, using Comet and growth curve assays.
RESULTS:

Rifaximin did not affect the overall composition of the gut microbiota, whereas it caused an increase in concentration of Bifidobacterium, Atopobium and Faecalibacterium prausnitzii. A shift in microbial metabolism was observed, as shown by increases in short-chain fatty acids, propanol, decanol, nonanone and aromatic organic compounds, and decreases in ethanol, methanol and glutamate. No genotoxicity or cytotoxicity was attributed to rifaximin, and conversely rifaximin was shown to have a chemopreventive role by protecting against hydrogen peroxide-induced DNA damage.
CONCLUSIONS:

We demonstrated that rifaximin, while not altering the overall structure of the human colonic microbiota, increased bifidobacteria and led to variation of metabolic profiles associated with potential beneficial effects on the host.

Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:05 pm

Did you have any other digestive issues? Excessive bloating & gas? Change in stool consistency?

Just curious if I'm having the issues you are or if its something more sinister since my gut is a mess and my prostatitis is in a flared-up state again.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:22 pm

Yeah, I had SIBO with constipation along with wicked bloating and food allergies. I also had burning and pain while moving my bowels. Things appear to be slowly getting better. I am taking probiotics with the Xifaxan, and eating goat's milk based yogurt daily. Soon I'll add in goat's milk kefir and see if the improvements continue.

From the past few studies I've read, Xifaxan apparently doesn't kill bifido bacteria, or lactobacilius bacteria in the body. That is interesting because those two species are staples in modern probiotics. I am hoping the combination will eventually fix everything. Before, I would take xifaxan by itself, and when the course was done...then I would take probiotics. I would always have a relapse by doing it that way. Now, I'm taking them both together, and I'll probably continue on for as long as it takes.

With all these gut issues, I went for a long time without having any gas. I was unable to actually fart, it was the weirdest thing. Since I've been eating all the yogurt, that has now come back. So, maybe that's a sign that things are normalizing in my gut, at least I hope so.

I also have low testosterone. When I consistently take probiotics like VSL3, my T levels go up, as shown on my labwork. So, definitely some underlying gut flora issues in my case. I've also tried Yakuh's diet for a month or so, I saw improvements with just that as well.

Also have low vitamin D, I need to get more sun, but it's difficult with my job. Vit D supplements cause prostate flares with me, which is bizarre as I've never heard of that before, it's just annoying.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:21 pm

Inflamed wrote:
Yeah, I had SIBO with constipation along with wicked bloating and food allergies. I also had burning and pain while moving my bowels. Things appear to be slowly getting better. I am taking probiotics with the Xifaxan, and eating goat's milk based yogurt daily. Soon I'll add in goat's milk kefir and see if the improvements continue.

From the past few studies I've read, Xifaxan apparently doesn't kill bifido bacteria, or lactobacilius bacteria in the body. That is interesting because those two species are staples in modern probiotics. I am hoping the combination will eventually fix everything. Before, I would take xifaxan by itself, and when the course was done...then I would take probiotics. I would always have a relapse by doing it that way. Now, I'm taking them both together, and I'll probably continue on for as long as it takes.

With all these gut issues, I went for a long time without having any gas. I was unable to actually fart, it was the weirdest thing. Since I've been eating all the yogurt, that has now come back. So, maybe that's a sign that things are normalizing in my gut, at least I hope so.

I also have low testosterone. When I consistently take probiotics like VSL3, my T levels go up, as shown on my labwork. So, definitely some underlying gut flora issues in my case. I've also tried Yakuh's diet for a month or so, I saw improvements with just that as well.

Also have low vitamin D, I need to get more sun, but it's difficult with my job. Vit D supplements cause prostate flares with me, which is bizarre as I've never heard of that before, it's just annoying.

Interesting. My stools are wildly inconsistent. Range from normal sized to thin to medium. They always seem to have a flatness to them which I'm guessing could be from the overgrowth of bacteria. I also have zero sex drive right now which makes me wonder if my T levels are low.

With some of this severe bloating I've had, I haven't been able to fart. It's just a full feeling in my stomach like food is stuck there just fermenting, causing gas with no way to pass it. Eventually it then shakes free and I'm able. I wonder if my severe anxiety has caused all of these gut issues to get worse.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:19 pm

CL, you might want to give something called Atrantil a try if you get desperate. It really helped me, but I ended up being allergic to it, so I had to stop taking it and go back on xifaxan. It's an all natural medicine made from herbs that targets bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine. It killed all the bloating issues I had, and alleviated the constipation.

Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:53 am

Inflamed wrote:
CL, you might want to give something called Atrantil a try if you get desperate. It really helped me, but I ended up being allergic to it, so I had to stop taking it and go back on xifaxan. It's an all natural medicine made from herbs that targets bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine. It killed all the bloating issues I had, and alleviated the constipation.

Inflamed,

Sorry for so many questions and thanks for responding to my previous ones. With your SIBO, did your entire abdomen/lower back area have an inflamed, heavy feeling like there was a rock just shoved in your stomach? My internist felt my stomach yesterday and said the right side of my abdomen felt fuller and wanted to have a CT scan done. Hopefully just bloating and constipation in the colon and not a growth. Having trouble with having a full, large clearing BM this week. Did you have the hydrogen breath test done to diagnose SIBO?

I had a breath test ordered for me on 6/30 and was told I was going to be contacted to schedule. I followed up with the GI PA I saw a few times and she said they should be in contact and I finally called the office last Friday and they called me this Monday after 2 months of waiting and can't have the test done until 9/15 (wasted 2 months). I'm supposed to go on my bachelor party next weekend (getting married 9/30) and I'm miserable. I called and left a message with the PA this morning. Going to ask her if she would prescribe the Xifaxan since I'm supposed to be out of town next weekend enjoying myself and to see if it makes me better. If it does, I think we have an answer of SIBO, if it doesn't, then I really don't care. I'm willing to take that chance at this point if it means not having to deal with this for another 3 weeks.

If she says no, I'm thinking about ordering the Atrantil today and having it 1 day Prime delivered. Just worried it's something more sinister than SIBO like colon cancer. Doesn't help that this is affecting my prostate and testicles also. My prostate feels quite swollen.

Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:55 pm

CL if youre under 50, I wouldn't really worry about colon cancer. You may have simple gastritis as well, I get that from food allergies. That can also cause bloating. Depending on how I react, the left side of my stomach can bloat out, or the right side. It also feels like there's a bulge of some kind under my ribs when it happens. I think that's probably just inflammation though, and it goes away and gets better after it passes. It might even be something as simple as a hiatal hernia that I am dealing with from time to time.

Since you have some important things coming up, go on a diet for a couple of weeks. Avoid wheat, eggs, dairy, soy, and nuts. Try to cut down on sugars and carbs as well. That turned my gut symptoms around very quickly. Within 3 days I was 95% normal again. Once I started eating junk though, everything came back.

Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:54 pm

Inflamed wrote:
CL if youre under 50, I wouldn't really worry about colon cancer. You may have simple gastritis as well, I get that from food allergies. That can also cause bloating. Depending on how I react, the left side of my stomach can bloat out, or the right side. It also feels like there's a bulge of some kind under my ribs when it happens. I think that's probably just inflammation though, and it goes away and gets better after it passes. It might even be something as simple as a hiatal hernia that I am dealing with from time to time.

Since you have some important things coming up, go on a diet for a couple of weeks. Avoid wheat, eggs, dairy, soy, and nuts. Try to cut down on sugars and carbs as well. That turned my gut symptoms around very quickly. Within 3 days I was 95% normal again. Once I started eating junk though, everything came back.

My GI ordered me Xifaxan since I have so many big things coming up over the next month and my breath test isnt until mid-September. I want to take them to see if it helps my symptoms from what I think is SIBO and dybiosis but I'm hesitant to take antibiotics without a confirmed diagnosis. Did you have any side effects from the antibiotic? Might be a good idea to try Atrantil first?

Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:29 pm

CLCardinal84 wrote:
Inflamed wrote:

My GI ordered me Xifaxan since I have so many big things coming up over the next month and my breath test isnt until mid-September. I want to take them to see if it helps my symptoms from what I think is SIBO and dybiosis but I'm hesitant to take antibiotics without a confirmed diagnosis. Did you have any side effects from the antibiotic? Might be a good idea to try Atrantil first?

Do not take abx without confirmed diagnosis. Atrantil would be your best option in my humble opinion. I just ordered mine and will be starting with this supplement very soon.

Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:58 pm

With SIBO, it's questionable if you will get a positive breath test result. My breath test came back negative, but my gastroenterologist said that 50% of the time, the tests either give a false positive, or a false negative. He said they weren't particularly reliable, and prescribed xifaxan anyway. I am glad he did though, it's helping me, things are slowly getting better.

Atrantil may actually be more effective in ridding yourself of sibo than xifaxan actually. I took that for three days and all bloating stopped...and hasn't come back! I wish I could've kept on taking it, damned allergies.

You could give Atrantil a try and get on a strict diet for a little while to see if the combination makes a difference.

Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:37 am

Almost forgot to mention, I didn't have any side effects from xifaxan. It stays in the gut and literally almost none of it makes it into the blood, hence no weird side effects.

Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:47 am

Hi Inflamed. Seems like you developed hypersensitivity to a lot of things, from foods, to supplements to herbs etc.
Anyway thanks for bringing up Atrantil in this post. I received my order today and I'm starting 2 capsules twice a day. Although my CP symptoms are now totally under control with 90-95% symptom free most of the time, I still experience mild bloating and gas occasionally and some constipation which my GI doc and I trying to figure out what's causing it aside from possible IBS. I temporarily stopped taking probiotics for now coz my doc is suspecting it's due to too much probiotics. I normally take 200 billion per day and a lot of fermented foods like kefer milk and lots of sauerkraut each in every meal. So who knows if all this good bacteria are overcrowding inside my gut lol. I'm giving Atrantil a try for a month and see if it helps with my constipation.

Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:27 am

Right on Yakuh, I hope it works for you, it helped me until allergies kicked in. I think my gut issues are stemming from one, or two years worth of antibiotics that I took back to back in order to get rid of bacterial prostatitis. Prior to all the antibiotic use, I had no gut issues, and only seasonal environmental allergies. After long term antibiotics, I'm now dealing with food allergies, and multiple food intolerances. The elimination diet helped me because it seemed like it was correcting the flora issues I've been dealing with.

I was reading that taking probiotics with SIBO and constipation can actually cause more issues since gut motility is off (hence constipation). The probiotic bacteria doesn't move to the large intestine quickly enough and ends up hanging around in the small intestine where it can eventually be problematic.

Since I read that xifaxan encourages lacto, and bifido growth, it seems like that's probably the best option for me right now, since I am having a tough time sticking to the diet. It is so restrictive, you must be super disciplined to stick to it for almost a year, I'm about to try again though.

Atrantil supposedly corrects the motility issue of SIBO-C, while also stopping the gas production. It makes me wonder if this archaebacteria which Atrantil targets is the root of the problems.

Good luck with it man, let us know if it helps you.

Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:46 am

I started Atrantil Tuesday night and the bloating and stomach inflammation is down quite a bit. I was waking up each morning with a feeling of a rock in my stomach and just inflammation that has been almost unnoticeable the last two days. Additionally, I don't feel as much gas just moving around in my stomach like food is just fermenting in my gut and making me miserable. I've eaten normal sized meals and have not felt miserable afterwards. I feel like its easier to have a BM also. The prostatitis is the most annoying part right now. I have the lower back/flank ache, the burning at the tip and the fullness in the bladder/prostate, but I'm used to that by now so it's able to be ignored for the most part. I wish I had time to get into the uro for a massage before my trip tomorrow but I don't.

I am having some die-off reaction though as I've had a headache the past two days and kind of a rundown feeling, so hopefully that means its working. I have Xifaxan as a back up also.

Will let you all know how it goes. Appreciate all input.

Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:33 pm

Glad to hear Atrantil is helping you, that's great news.

Eating things like organic oat bran for breakfast helps with die off as it's a pretty good detoxifier. It tends to have an absorption affect on it's way through. It's also a handy prebiotic for good bacteria.

If die off gets bad, you could probably cut the dosage back a little bit and continue on.

Activated charcoal capsules also help with die off if it becomes unbearable. You'd want to space those and the Atrantil out as far as possible though. Drink a lot of water.

Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:25 pm

Any of you guys notice a correlation between drinking milk and flare ups? I used to get wicked arthritis in my hands about 24 hours after I drank a glass of milk. Avoiding dairy has pretty much stopped that though. It's been a year or two, and I've recently begun to drink milk again after taking tons of probiotics and general avoidance of dairy. I have no more arthritis from drinking milk, but my prostate seems to flare up if it drink it for a few days in a row. That's the only thing I've done differently.

Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:57 pm

Inflamed wrote:
Any of you guys notice a correlation between drinking milk and flare ups? I used to get wicked arthritis in my hands about 24 hours after I drank a glass of milk. Avoiding dairy has pretty much stopped that though. It's been a year or two, and I've recently begun to drink milk again after taking tons of probiotics and general avoidance of dairy. I have no more arthritis from drinking milk, but my prostate seems to flare up if it drink it for a few days in a row. That's the only thing I've done differently.

Milk and dairy products can worsen your symptoms because bacteria feed from milk and sugar. Try to avoid it as much as you can.

Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:16 am

Inflamed wrote:

Only dairy products I really consume are a little bit of half & half with my coffee and cheese on occasion. I've been taking the Atrantil and my bloating is down quite a bit and the stomach inflammation is much much better. I've had 3 long snake shaped BM's the last 3 days and that hasn't happened in months. On the flip side, my prostate feels super swollen and my bladder feels distended and a lymph node on my left side feels swollen and tender. Maybe its the bacteria dying off?

I had my CT scan last week and it was normal which is great news. They saw a calcification on my left testicle which I already knew was there from the prostatitis. I didn't see any language with regards to my prostate though which should have showed up. I may ask about that next time I see my doctor because I'm curious about calcification. I have an appt with the GI today, so hopefully he has some insight.

Need to see the uro before the end of the month also.

Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:20 am

Hey CL, man I am glad the Atrantil is correcting your digestive issues, that is awesome. You might want to think about adding a probiotic into the mix and giving Yakuh's diet a try for a while. It's difficult to do, but he's almost completely free of symptoms. It makes me think that gut dysbiosis plays a huge role in prostatitis and digestive issues, the diet along with supplements can correct that.

Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:18 pm

Inflamed wrote:
Hey CL, man I am glad the Atrantil is correcting your digestive issues, that is awesome. You might want to think about adding a probiotic into the mix and giving Yakuh's diet a try for a while. It's difficult to do, but he's almost completely free of symptoms. It makes me think that gut dysbiosis plays a huge role in prostatitis and digestive issues, the diet along with supplements can correct that.

Gut is still messed up but not as bad since on atrantil. Was having good long BM's again but have been stopped up this week. Prostate feels funky too. Doing the hydrogen breath test tomorrow to test for SIBO. May be negative since I've been on atrantil for 2 weeks now.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:15 pm

Since the atrantil was helping, that's a sure sign of sibo.

The xifaxan is keeping me pretty regular, I'm going every couple of days it seems, which is ok for me. I've slacked off on eating wheat and carbs for the most part, so that could also be why I'm going every other day instead of daily. I've also stopped eating yogurt and probiotics temporarily due to stomach inflammation. Those helped with motility.

I've got something else that's weird going on though, I am simply not drinking enough water to keep my intestinal motility up. I never get thirsty anymore, hence the lack of drinking water. Have to really keep on it. I read that you need to drink half your body weight in fluid ounces per day, so if you're 200lbs, then you need to drink around 100 ounces per day.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next