Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 My Update--Constipation? 

Post My Update--Constipation?
So as a reminder--a little more than a month ago I came down with a bad stomach bug--inherited from my kids. Note I'm a 40 year old, active, healthy male.

A few days after the start of the bug, i developed the typical urinary issues--fullness, dribbling, etc with continued fatigue.

After seeing the Urologist the first time I received a negative urine culture and he noted that my prostate definitely felt inflamed after a DRE.

Tried Cipro and Flomax but after 1 day couldn't deal with the Cipro. Have been on Doxy and Flomax for the past 30 days with no major improvement in symptoms. Note my symptoms remain that full prostate feeling, feeling of enlarged testicles, incontinence and feeling of bladder never feeling empty.

Went back to see urologist today. After telling him that my symptoms really haven't improved much, he seemed a bit concerned. After another DRE, he noted that it seemed like I was constipated--that there was feces bumping up against the prostate. He also noted that my prostate no longer felt 'boggy' which was really surprising to me. I noted that my bowel movements have felt pretty normal lately, but he insisted that I try a bowel cleanse for a day using Mirilax followed by 2x daily colase and 3x a day dosage of advil.

I have no idea if this is the right diagnosis, but I'll keep this thread updated with any progress. Note i also had my Vitamin D levels tested and they were low, so I am also on high doses of Vitamin D right now.

Fri May 26, 2017 1:25 pm

Post Re: My Update--Constipation?
Just a fyi ..when i was on doxy i got constipated as well and flared up hemmeroids. Possibly due to that? I would try a probiotoc as well. Flomax didnt help? I have not tried it but was wondering.

Fri May 26, 2017 2:48 pm

I'm confused - how would there be any question as to whether you were constipated or not? It's a rather obvious feeling/condition. I also think you'd have to be hella constipated for it to impact a normal prostate. Drink some phosphososa...that'll clear you up in no time if you're really constipated. Either way I don't see this as a solution to your prostatitis and think your uro is grasping at straws a bit. But it won't hurt to try....well aside from the temporary inconvenience.

Fri May 26, 2017 3:12 pm

freakinfrustrated wrote:
Just a fyi ..when i was on doxy i got constipated as well and flared up hemmeroids. Possibly due to that? I would try a probiotoc as well. Flomax didnt help? I have not tried it but was wondering.

Ok that's interesting. The weird thing is that i haven't really been backed up at all--so it sort of baffles me. I was eating yogurt everyday but i think i'll prob start on probiotics now. Flomax def seems to help with flow issues, but that overall pressure sensation is always still there.
cdogstu99 wrote:
So as a reminder--a little more than a month ago I came down with a bad stomach bug--inherited from my kids. Note I'm a 40 year old, active, healthy male.

prostate454 wrote:
I'm confused - how would there be any question as to whether you were constipated or not? It's a rather obvious feeling/condition. I also think you'd have to be hella constipated for it to impact a normal prostate. Drink some phosphososa...that'll clear you up in no time if you're really constipated. Either way I don't see this as a solution to your prostatitis and think your uro is grasping at straws a bit. But it won't hurt to try....well aside from the temporary inconvenience.

i know i know sort of the same way i was feeling. i'm going to have to at least try to trust him for now--as he said there was a lot of backup up in there (boy these guys have a rough job). Thanks i think i'll check out the phosphososa if the mirilax doesn't do the trick .

Fri May 26, 2017 4:29 pm

So having had my finger up my rectum hundreds of times in the past year, you can feel *some* feces if it's backed up in your rectum. But I assure you that when this is the case you definitely feel it and know you're constipated when it's happening. His finger can really only reach the final 3" of the rectum, and if you have a whole bunch of feces piled in there then you'd definitely feel like you had to go.

Fri May 26, 2017 5:12 pm

I have a tight anal spinchter so whilst I'm not constipated I don't empty my bowels well and there is stools piling up in the rectal canal.

Because of this tight muscle when I try to pass stools , there is pressure being applied to the bladder neck / prostate and I squirt Urine out and have no control over this.

My Urologist belives this is the cause of my Prostatits. The Urine that is forced out is trapped in the Prostate.

Do you notice this behavior with yourself? When you try to pass stools does it effect your Urine?

Mine is not constipation but being constipated may cause your pelvic muscles to act in a similar manner to mine.

I think the key cause is Urine being trapped in the Prostate. The hard bit is what is causing this.

Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:08 pm

FYI, 1st time I went to the GI office, they did an X-ray of my abdomen and said I had a lot of stool stuck in my gut and I took a dump every single day at that time (still do).

Despite going every day, you can still be constipated.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:10 pm

I am just going to say something kind of random - I cured my constipation with eating bran flakes every morning and mostly avoiding grains and dairy. That was it.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:24 am

I've had constipation for a long time, with CPPS and prostatitis, and I think they're feedback loop problems. The idea is that constipation causes tension and dysfunction in the pelvic floor, causing inflammation, or at least contributing to inflammation developing in the prostate, and so forth. Probiotics have worked most effectively for me to reduce / alleviate constipation, and myofascial release trigger point therapy has helped reduce prostatitis pain and associated problems. Stretching is another approach to relieve pain and problems with both conditions to some extent at least. I don't know whether they'll be complete solutions, but they have had effective results for me.

Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]