Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Prescribed Cipro but am concerned 

Post Prescribed Cipro but am concerned
Today after 3 weeks of major discomfort in my perineum and varying issues with urination (no fevers or chills though) I went to a GP. She tested my urine and said she didn't think I had an infection, but prescribed me Cipro (and referred me to a urologist)

Cipro users have some seriously scary stories to share. Considering I am not sure if I have an infection (and if Cipro would even be the right med for it), Im extremely leery about taking the risk... Also not sure about visiting the urologist, as I suspect he would just push medications on me in a generic fashion.

Not sure what I'm asking here precisely, but any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:31 pm

Post Re: Prescribed Cipro but am concerned
Where are you based?

I certainly wouldn't take it without a culture test. Do you have an idea where the infection if so has come from

Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:42 am

I wouldn't take it unless you have seen your urologist first.

Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:17 am

if you stuck your penis somewhere it shouldn't have been, then i'd consider it.

But if it came on randomly, i'd wait for a confirmed infection before popping any cipro.

Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:03 pm

Millions of quinolone prescriptions are written every year, and a few hundred folks every year claim their lives have never been the same since taking them, sometimes after just a couple of pills. Good odds if you're a gambling man, but I wouldn't want the risk if it was at all avoidable.

I wouldn't roll the dice without knowing I had an infection treatable only with a quin. A sulfa drug (Bactrim) is the only other widely used med for bacterial prostatitis, but this too has it's own horror stories. Some homework might be in order so you enter this therapy fully informed.

I'd want a semen culture to see exactly what I was dealing with and what it might be sensitive to before I'd dive into the big-guns Anti-B pool, but then that's just me.

Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:37 pm

Thanks for the responses. The perineum discomfort has gone down maybe 25%. I've been doing reflexology (on wrists and finger webbing) so maybe it does something? I have a urologist appt on 7/10

My question is this- can a potential prostate infection spread to the kidneys in a matter of 10 days? I just really dont want to take cipro unless I have to. BTW the odds of this being STD related would be nil I believe

Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:59 am

don't take it if you don't have a real reason to. I've been through lots of antibiotics and am sure they messed me up, longterm.

Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:03 am

I wouldn't take antibiotics unless there is confidence an infection is the cause. I got prescribed cipro by my gp who had no evidence it was an infection, I hadn't even had sex for months. These people just want to give you something because they want to help, but they don't understand prostatitis.

Antibiotics certainly have their place. Like Ws said if it came on after a sexual encounter it makes more sense, even then, Id probably want to try something else, that's just me. Good luck.

Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]