Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Enterococcus Faecalis Support Thead 

Post Re: Enterococcus Faecalis Support Thead
Has anyone known of an account where fosfomycin has worked ?

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:47 pm

Yeah, it worked for that Metanoia guy who posts here.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:15 pm

Ok, thx inflamed,
I will see what the doc says. Probably amoxicillin?
Read about a woman who thought she had IC, she had a culture done and she had e faecalis.
Took her quite a while on amoxicillin to rid of it
http://prostatitis.org/redirect.php?lin ... _story.htm
So, it seems persistent

What I've tried without success so far without knowing what to kill is:
Azitromycin 5days
Tarivid 2 weeks (however had 3 good weeks last summer 6 month after Tarivid. :-)) so maybe it was not the abx?
Colloidal Silver (did get rid of my "heart burn" or what it was :-))
Magnesium
Quercetin
Cernitol

Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:06 pm

I'd be interested to hear of any more examples.

Tried months and months of persribed anti biotic feels loathed to try even more.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:31 pm

I remain skeptical on the whole enterococcus theory. Mine was found in semen *after*:

1. Two weeks doxy
2. One month Cipro
3. Six weeks Levaquin
4. Almost three *months* of moxifloxacin

I took about five weeks of Augmentin and tested negative after that since, but there was not improvement in symptoms.

Oh and BTW it was tested to be sensitive to Cipro and Levaquin (and most likely moxi by proxy). You're going to tell me after all those months of high-powered, high-penetration abxs that I still tested positive for it, yet a few weeks of Augmentin, which is known to have bad prostate penetration, somehow got rid of it forever? Sorry, not buying it. And besides, it made no difference to my symptoms. I've had plenty of cultures since then and not tested positive for it again. Either it's a red herring or only causes CP in certain people, at least that's my opinion. And I've also tested positive for e-coli multiple times at multiple labs since all these abxs.

So was it the e-coli or the enterococcus causing symptoms? Cause I sure as heck didn't just happen to contract both of these bacteria at the exact same time for the first time in my 35 years from this one short sexual encounter. And both were treated extensively with no real change in symptoms.

And ETA - I treated e-coli with fosfomycin for almost six weeks with no material improvement in symptoms despite testing negative afterwards. So here I am, a CP sufferer who has been rigorously tested, and tested positive for both enterococcus and e-coli. Treated both extensively with no change in symptoms despite testing negative after treatment. The logical conclusion is that I'm not suffering from CBP, or at least not from those two bacteria. Ok, that seems a logical conclusion, but they were obviously up in my prostate given multiple labs found the same bacteria...sooooo...apparently their presence is not a reliable indicator of prostatitis, and it could be that it's pretty normal to have them up in there anyway.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:20 am

Prostate454 this is exactly where I am at. I had a bad E. coli infection which made me feel very unwell. It took 8 weeks of cipro 750mg twice a day and olive leaf extract for 12 weeks to clear it. I am well in myself some months later but still have meatus and red gland issues especially more so after ejaculation.

I have done numerous culture since. Some clear some with enterococcus but never any white blood cells. So is it an infection or nerve damage from the E. coli / cipro? Some days are good others when I eat bad things are infammed. If it was an infection surely it would get worse over time and not clear up when you eat well?

Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:19 pm

Hi guys
I made a prostate massage and had a couple of drops from my prostate sent for culture a month ago. It came back clear. But I think they only cultured for a couple of days(not sure) the 2,5 weeks ago I did another culture on what was in my urethra after a massage of the prostate (done with a swab stick, there were not so much coming out) this last culture was sent to the university lab where I live and I think they do it for a longer time (I have to check). But do you know how long it takes to culture e faecalis?
As cervelo says, I have never had any white bloodcells to show for either (don't know aboit the last test though)
But I have only been checked for this in semen. One time it was checked in semen directly after a prostate massage (when a lot of fluid came out after the massage, dripping out...) No wbc.
I then read that someone said you have to look in prostatic fluid and not semen. I can't see what difference it would make, at least if I had a good prostate massage before I handed over semen?
There should be enough wbc. I have read that in a couple of other cases also, that involved e faecalis and no wbc to show for an infection. So, either it doesn't effect the immune system to respond as much as for other bacteria (silent infection?) ( maybe because the body think it's a normal bacteria and is used to it? But still the bacteria is irritating the urethra and makes us feel the need to pee and get red meatus?)

Or, it is not infectious but somehow has started a muscle disorder?
I sure have red meatus that sometimes get worse and the feeling that is not right in my bladder. But again no wbc in semen and no particular elevation of wbc in the urethra. Any normal infection would make the defensive system alert, but e faecalis maybe tricks the system. I 've read some other guy with his success story who beat e faecalis with IV abx and augment (you have probably googled it to) 22000 dollar! treatment!
He seemed to gotten cured and all is well. Placebo, or real? The thing that bothers me is the red meatus. Wher does it come from? No one seems to be able to answer. So should I jump on the abx train now? With what?

I also read that some guy really recommended taking D-mannose (natural sugar) used for people with returning UVIs (seems to work god flushing out E-coli from the bladder)
He had e faecalis and was on an abx amoxicillin and he was really happy taking 3-5 grams mannose a day and had good improvements (the last I read from him was in 2015 and then dissapeared) I'd like to know what happened?

Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:32 pm

Prostate454
Your experience with all abx you took makes no sense in killing e faecalis...
That scares me. I don't know what to do next. If all that abx didn't kill the bug but only after 5 weeks augmentin???
Wow! It seems a lot of guys have e faecalis up there?
Could it be the gut that leaks somehow? Leaking e coli and e faecalis? Or something with the tests?
This is nuts

Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:11 pm

It's looking very likely that it's enterococcus in my case. I get it each time me and my girl have unprotected sex. It starts out as a bad urinary tract infection and progresses to the prostate in a couple of days if I let it go. Amoxicilin seriously takes down the urethritis after we have unprotected sex.

Enterococcus is highly susceptible to penicillins anywhere other than the prostate, because penicillins don't penetrate that. I am hoping that this fosfomycin will end this nightmare for me. I'm gonna give it a try in the next couple of weeks and cross my fingers. Pharmacy has it on special order.

You can also hammer enterococcus infections via diet, eventually the body will clear it, but it might take a couple of years. I read that the body can even fight off stds if left untreated, it just takes a long time.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:52 pm

I dont know, but when I do the math on a penis...it goes some dirty places and is generally exposed to all sorts of bacteria day to day. Think of guys who aren't even circumcised! Why is it not more common if it were truly bacterial? The science is pointing toward non-bacterial sources for CP and that's been my experience as well. I mean I had months and months of quinolone abxs, the best prostate penetration we have available to us now. No significant improvement. Yet in my case the great arbiter has just been time. So months of high power abxs were useless but my measly ole immune system was enough to battle these superbacteria? I don't buy it. Not to mention, I never had any of the classical symptoms of any infection...no fever, sore joints, fatigue. I've suffered through two cases of c diff now and it was immediately clear to me I had an infection. There's no mistaking it. My prostatitis never manifested itself that way.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:04 pm

In regard to infectious prostatitis, I think maybe it all kind of depends on the guy's flora. If guy A's flora is way off for whatever reason, he could theoretically be more susceptible to infection than other guys. It's possible that a lot of us have pre-existing conditions that we don't realize until maybe it's too late, when the beast finally decides to rear it's ugly head. There's a few kinds of prostatitis, I definitely think it's muscular in some cases, I also think it can be bacterial in some cases as well. I do think that more antibiotics (the incorrect ones) leave us open to secondary prostatitis due to the alteration of the prostate and urethra's microbiome. At least, that's what I think is happening to me, or it could be a combination of things as well, since I have lower back issues, and I sit a lot too. The urethritis after unprotected though, that's what's got me. It is terrible urethritis, debilitating almost, I get feverish, and generally feel awful with burning and pain while urinating. No problems with condoms though, thank God for those.

Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:12 am

I agree with you inflammed:
I'm starting to believe that stress and anxiety ruined my immune system thus made me prone to infection.
(but who knows, with little evidence that is just a thought)
I think a lot of women have these bacteria in their vaginas (the anatomy) Name a woman that has not ever had an UTI?
Even if they have learnt to wipe their butt the right way, it is not so hard to imagine bacteria going the other way (e.g if you get a little swetty after workout) I think most women don't get effected by these bacteria. My uro says that the vagina thru evolution has been worked out to kill these bacteria (e-coli, e faecalis etc)
And for men, our prostate is also made to kill most bugs. BUT, factors like stress, anxiety etc are known to create problems (hormones, low immune system etc) so it wouldn't surprise me if that could be a reason. I think some of the people that get IC-diagnosis have the same problem. I read about women who are stressed before the are hit by IC. Stress + bacteria = chronic pain?
I'm going to try the D-mannose this week + some other natural immune system boost and next week go on abx.

Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:27 am

The antibiotic age has led to resistant bacteria. No one (for the most part) even knew antibiotics were in dairy products until recently. Nobody ever talked about pesticides, herbicides, gmos, etc. Then there's antibacterial soaps. Even when we're not taking antibiotics, we're still taking antibiotics. lol

Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:05 pm

Its really difficult to get a handle on these symptoms and if Enterococcus Faecalis is the issue or not. As everyone has experiences and views:

Some say it can be sexually transmitted / others don't
Some say stretching helps /other don't
Some say Enterococcus Faecalis is the issue / others and some urologists no not
Some say antibiotics work with Enterococcus Faecalis / others don't

Antibiotics even after a sensitivity test don't seem to make any difference to my symptoms, over at the CPPS forum they are heavily of thinking that nerves are causing the issue. Some forum posts make for a very convincing story.

A cyst developed with my symptoms on the head of my right epididmyi, it only becomes swollen and sore if I exercise or walk alot (causing too much movement) I guess. In the morning its fine, when it flare though my meatus and glad become red. Is this nerve related or an infection? We all struggle for clear answers.

Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:35 pm

I have struggled to get hold of my uro. It's been 5 weeks since I had my culture done and 3 weeks since I got the test result from the assistant.
I still haven't spoken to the uro!
But I spoke to the assistant and she said that the uro sent me a letter saying I don't have pathogens in my prostate!!!
So, he, the uro says it's not the cause of my prostatitis. I'm not sure either. Who am I to tell him his profession. He has 40 years of experience and is also a professor. And I have respect for him. He is the only uro that has any clue where I live. He's the only one I've seen using the Color Doppler examination of the prostate. Last spring he looked at my prostate with this color doppler (he sees heat and such that confirms an ongoing infection) and said everything looked fine. and also the lack of wbc confirms that.
But I have to ask if he has looked at my seminal vesicles and VAS defense (I would assume he looked at them as well? + my semen does not show wbc) I read that some guys have infected these parts and if the uro doesn't look there, the infection could go undetected, or?
Or do one get pain from these parts (VAS def + seminal vesicles?) I don't think I feel any pain in these parts?

Anyway, the uro's assistant told me that the ef was susceptible to Vancomycin and Linezolid and also amoxicillin, a little less (there was a list, but I don't have it)
So, I don't know if I should try to get abx from some other doc? My uro doesn't seem to prescribe me any for ef and where I live it's not possible to order abx from internet (it's very strict these days)

don't know what to do next... and a lot of you guys don't feel better even after abx, so?

Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:10 am

EF is apparently incredibly hard to kill. Most of the abx that will kill it (penicillins) won't penetrate the prostate. Seems like some people have had success with fosfomycin, I'm going to start that tomorrow, hopefully I'll be able to tolerate it. Will let you guys know what happens.

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:02 am

Gave fosfo a try tonight. So far, so good. I''m hoping my stomach / kidneys will be able to tolerate it going forward, we shall see. I'm currently dealing with a UTI also. Lately it seems like every time I ejaculate, I end up with one, it really sucks. I get burning, irritation, become feverish, and there's this general feeling of weakness down there. I've been trying to hold off ejaculation to only around once per week as a result. Whatever it is, it's definitely coming from the prostate, it has to be enterococcus like the lab results say. If I take amoxicillin when it's in uti form, it helps tremendously and I get back to normal within a couple of days.

Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:11 am

Almost sound like you have an allergic reaction!?
I’ve read that some men and women (very rare cases) can be allergic to semen. Men that are allergic to their own semen. Maybe, when the fluids are not yet mixed, the body can handle it. But once ejaculated the fluids mix and creates an allergic reaction?
It’s supposed to be an allergic reaction to a protein in men. A woman that is allergic to this protein is allergic to all men, doesn’t matter if she have sex with another man (but it doesn’t kill sperm so she can get pregnant)
Allergies create all kind of problems. Inflammations (maybe that’s why no wbc is seen, but you’re still inflamed) redness, swelling, affect your mucous membranes.
I see when I pee that my pee foams. It’s supposed to be because of proteins in the urine, right?
My prostate seems a little swollen. Sometimes I have weak stream. Somehow I’m “leaking” proteins?
If enterococcus faecalis is ruled out as a pathogen that infects you, maybe it is causing an allergic reaction? Or maybe it is not EF that is causing this, but somehow the body has gotten allergic to the protein?
I ‘ve seen my meatus get red before this prostatitis, when semen have been left in the urethra. Somehow semen seems “toxic”. Before, this redness went away by itself. But now it stays more permanent. I think it’s related to the bleeding prostate (perhaps this protein. Nowadays my urine always makes foam when I stand up peeing)
Because I don’t have wbc in my semen, I guess there is another type of inflammation. Perhaps allergic reaction?
Why? It could be because of my initial stress and anxiety. Stress and anxiety release histamines. Voila!?
Or it’s just another stupid theory?

Ps. I have also thought of having Sjogrens Syndrome (but I was tested negative, also for ALA, ANA and Reiters, arthritis etc) Before I felt very dry in my mouth and eyes. Now I’m ok, so it could have been only stress? Still I’m somewhat dry in my throat. Anyway, maybe it has nothing to with this but I also experienced mucocele twice during the first year of this!!? It’s all about the mucos membranes!!!! Just a coincidence, or?
I had to get surgery to take out one of the mucocele in my mouth. I bit myself and then the body reacts agains that spit producing gland. One time is enough, but twice??? Allergic reactions can happen every where in the body’s mucus membranes. Huh?

Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:01 am

I've often thought it could be an allergic reaction as well, but I'm really not sure. Also, each time I have unprotected sex with my girl, I get a terrible uti, or at least what seems like one. If we use condoms I'm fine though. So, either allergy, or bacteria, one or the other, it's difficult to determine which. I'm leaning towards bacteria though, because amoxicillin and rocephin help tremendously, much more than steroids like prednisone. This fosfomycin seems to be doing something too, already uti isn't as bad as it was.

Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:15 pm

Yeah, who knows? I’m stuck. Don’t know what to think really?

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:15 pm

Hey Skis, I forgot to mention, I take daily claritin also. No idea if that would help with allergic reactions down there though. It doesn't seem to in my case at least.

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:18 pm

More theories from me :-) ...
Inflamed, Someone wrote (antihistamine & prostate problems) that antihistamines can cause problems for the prostate. It says “can”. So, not sure if it does. I also read that allergy pills containing cetirizin did not cause any problem.
I will try the citirizin and see how it works. I did try it before, but I cannot remember if it was before I had a good month last year or if it was some other time. I used it, I think because I thought my eyes were itching or was it my for my skin was itching? I can’t remember, but it didn’t work for that (the itching) and I didn’t think about what it did for my prostatitis at that time. To bad I didn’t keep track on what worked for me that time I felt good. I just remember that my stomach also seemed to be better, less soft stool. It seems for me, when the stomach is ok, then there’s less problems with the prostate.
I have also started using the thera wand for internal TP/massage. I don’t know if it’s a coincidence or not, but I usually go to the bathroom and have a bowel movement before TP. But then after the internal TP, I can always push out some more (so to speak). I wonder if the pelvic muscles are not working correctly because of the prostatitis? And I can trigger the muscles with internal TP? Because I don’t feel I totally emty my bowel. I think if the bowel doesn’t get entirely emptied each time, then it could inflame that part?
When my bowel works good, I had more regular bowel movement (I could set the clock) and It always responded to when I was going for a run (always made me go to the bathroom). nowadays it’s not that regular anymore. I need to get my stomach back in shape. Maybe that’s why some diets make prostatitis better for some people, because it makes the stomach and bowel work better?

Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:28 am

Be careful. Pseudoephedrine sulfate is a common ingredient in allergy medicine like claritin-D and is well known to cause severe prostate issues in people with enlarged prostates. I found this out first hand. It was terrible.

Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:14 am

Well, after a few days or trial and error, I definitely have bacterial prostatitis. I've been taking fosfomycin every 48 hours. I'm also taking prednisone to control kidney inflammation (nephritis) from the fosfomycin. My prostate and uti symptoms get much worse after taking prednisone, and better after fosfomycin. Prednisone is known to make infections worse since it halts the immune system. So, hopefully if i can continue on, I'll get rid of this once and for all. Fosfomycin seems to be working, I haven't had to take alpha blockers, so that's a good sign.

Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:58 pm

Inflamed wrote:
Well, after a few days or trial and error, I definitely have bacterial prostatitis. I've been taking fosfomycin every 48 hours. I'm also taking prednisone to control kidney inflammation (nephritis) from the fosfomycin. My prostate and uti symptoms get much worse after taking prednisone, and better after fosfomycin. Prednisone is known to make infections worse since it halts the immune system. So, hopefully if i can continue on, I'll get rid of this once and for all. Fosfomycin seems to be working, I haven't had to take alpha blockers, so that's a good sign.

One of my better uros said the same thing when I tried methylprednisolone back in early 2016. He indicated an infection should get worse while on it. My symptoms got quite a bit better though...however I was on Moxifloxacin and Zithro at the same time so I don't really consider that a valid test in my case. Had I not been on abxs at the same time then maybe...

Anyway, I don't think I've ever had UTI symptoms - no blood in urine or extremely painful urinating or bladder pain. Just prostate pain and mild burning when urinating.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next