Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Fosfomycin and Oxybutynin 

Post Fosfomycin and Oxybutynin
Hey Guys,

So i heard back from my Urologist and GP after sending them lots of details on fosfo.

The outcome was that its not available in my country. It was regarded as a good option. BUT the uro said its a quinolone and therefore could just take cipro.. I think the uro has no idea what hes talking about. Your thoughts?

Hes also suggested Oxybutynin... anyone used that for pains in the bladder and after urination?

Thanks

Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:53 pm

Post Re: Fosfomycin and Oxybutynin
I took oxybutynin for about year, it helps a little with the pain and discomfort caused by spasms. In my case it dried me out so bad that my hands were cracked and bleeding.

Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:37 pm

Intrient wrote:
I took oxybutynin for about year, it helps a little with the pain and discomfort caused by spasms. In my case it dried me out so bad that my hands were cracked and bleeding.

That doesnt sound great... after stopping it, did the pain return. and what has been the next steps for you?

Thanks

Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:04 am

Fosfo a quinolone? Some doctors must think their patients are so ignorant they can placate them with complete balderdash.

If he truly believes this, a refresher course in pharmacology (or possibly a drug test) might be in order.

Don't know where you're located, but here in the states if a drug isn't available locally, a legitimately prescribed medication can be legally imported through online international pharmacy.

Fosfo is the anti-quinolone... All of the benefits with none of the side effects!

Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:14 am

I do have to wonder what the hell some Uro's actually know about this condition and the drugs they are using.. i was shocked when i heard he thought fosfos was a quinolone.. I think id like to have some of what hes smoking.. might help us all.

I WOULD love my gp or uro to write a script, they wont, because its not even a drug they can get ( even though i actually knows its sold locally to the hospitals ). i cant convince them to write a letter or script.. annoying.. So i have to get it a dodgy way. I have 9 packets, and im hoping to get 12 more by the end of the month... gives we 21 packets, or 42 days at 48 hr dosing.. should be enough.. :)

I can only assume the dodgy way is actually legit stuff.. i cant imagine there is a big market for fake fosfos

Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:37 pm

Fosfo, didn't work for me...so far on it for 2.months.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:31 pm

Logcrusader wrote:
I do have to wonder what the hell some Uro's actually know about this condition and the drugs they are using.. i was shocked when i heard he thought fosfos was a quinolone.. I think id like to have some of what hes smoking.. might help us all.

I WOULD love my gp or uro to write a script, they wont, because its not even a drug they can get ( even though i actually knows its sold locally to the hospitals ). i cant convince them to write a letter or script.. annoying.. So i have to get it a dodgy way. I have 9 packets, and im hoping to get 12 more by the end of the month... gives we 21 packets, or 42 days at 48 hr dosing.. should be enough.. :)

I can only assume the dodgy way is actually legit stuff.. i cant imagine there is a big market for fake fosfos

Fosfo seems to be not all that common. For some reason my script only gives me 3 sachets at a time and I have to go get a refill once a week from my pharmacy...and every time they have to call me and tell me that they have to order it since they don't stock it. I'm like dude, just order a whole bunch of them since I have more refills coming. They don't seem able to do that though.

Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:54 pm

My pharmacy was the same way... Not in stock, next day delivery.

Fosfo fell out of favor and is not used much anymore as it was approved only as a "one & done" treatment for female UTI's, & the single dose was only effective about 70% of the time. Doctors only used it as a back-up med for patients who developed dreadful reactions to the sulfa drugs, which were the norm for female UTI.

When quinolone drugs appeared, the doc's jumped on these, as 5 days on quin's gave a much higher success rate, & fosfo was now used only in pregnant women with UTI's due to it's remarkably safety record.

The quin's got used so frequently for female UTI that resistance has become commonplace now days. This may be why the quins are now failing so often for prostatitis. We catch bacterial prostatitis from women who've had multiple UTI's over the years, and have developed resistant/resident organisms due to the anti'B's used to treat them.

We're probably fortunate fosfo is rarely used now days, as it has become the only med nothing is resistant to now days. I thank God it appears to work fairly well for prostatitis. Call me paranoid, but quin's and sulfa both scared the heck out of me.

Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:22 am

Well I can tell you fosfo doesn't work for

Corneybacteria and staph epi cog neg

My treatment was:

Fosfo each 3g a day for 7 days then every 48 hrs. I did this for month then stopped for two week because of diarrhea...in that two weeks all my symptoms came back....started fosfo again for month...symptoms are supress.

As soon as I stop fosfo I got feeling everything be back.

Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:32 pm

Sorry to hear you didn't get a good result world.

I got so excited with my results, I was hoping for a few more success stories.

Does your doc have a plan on what to try next?

Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:45 am

I do not believe it's doing anything for me either. I imagine if abx treatment with quinolones already failed to produce results then there's no reason to believe that fosfo would perform any better, unless sensitivity revealed a pathogen was resistant to all the FQLs, which is probably pretty rare. But it's definitely helped my post-c diff diarrhea problems...so that's good news for me. I'll probably stop my treatment when I run out of sachets in another two weeks and then move on to my next treatment option...which is a bit more promising and novel than abxs. I was really only using fosfo to make sure I didn't have an e-coli UTI before moving in that direction anyway.

Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:10 am

Another strike-out? Sorry to hear about this.

I agree quin's should be more effective if your bug is sensitive and the multiple black box warnings of persistent and disabling side effects don't spook you.

I believe CHIP was trying the fosfo too. Haven't heard from him in a while.

My last hope for a win in our little study.

Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:22 pm

Study isn't over, my fosfomycin is coming at end of month . Then I'll be on it, however the key does seem to help with pains aswell which is good

Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:25 pm

Fingers crossed for you Log. We need another win here! Counting on you to pull this off.

Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]