Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 does fosfo cause C-diff? 

Post does fosfo cause C-diff?
Anyone know this is possible with fosfo? C-diff?

Wed May 31, 2017 11:26 am

Post Re: does fosfo cause C-diff?
Yes it's possible, not as likely as other more powerful abxs though. I'm literally sitting in my gastro office right now getting my ducks in a row in case mine comes back once I start fosfo tomorrow.

Wed May 31, 2017 3:48 pm

What does c diff feel like?

All of sudden yesterday I had urge to poop and bam it was diarrhea for few hrs. Next day it stopped, but tummy feels weird. I did have low grade fever bUT temp is normal and that fever feelING is gone.

Doc told me to stop fosfo and see what happens in few days.

Does this sound like c diff?

Wed May 31, 2017 6:04 pm

Common side effect of AbX. Go see a doctor if you're concerned, no one here can diagnose cdiff

Wed May 31, 2017 6:27 pm

True, it's different for everybody. When I got it I knew right away the difference between AAD and the moment it turned into c diff. The day I decided to go to the ER I had diarrhea 16 times between midnight and 7am. It was also worse in the morning after sleeping for the night - then it would feel a little better once I got all the toxins out of me in the morning. And it wasn't normal diarrhea...it was basically like crapping kerosene (it smelled very distinct). I also felt like I had the flu which isn't like normal diarrhea (since it is an infection, afterall). I never had a fever though - not even when they had me hooked up to IV with fluids and the like.

Only way to know for sure would be to get a A/B toxin test For some people it's relatively mild, which I guess was the case for me since less than 24 hours after I was in the hospital I was on a plane to go climb Mount Shuksan. Other people are crapping blood and in much worse shape...seems to depend on the health and age of the person who has it. Fosfomycin is known to cause AAD while you're on it as well so it could just be that.

Sounds like your Dr's advice is a good one - see if it stops after cutting the fosfo out.

Wed May 31, 2017 7:07 pm

What's add of fosfo?

Doc said to do a quick burst of Flagyl since I have that and was give for prostate. He said flagyl should help for minor stomach issue.

But anyway day 2 and diarrhea has stopped no smell nothing.

Wed May 31, 2017 10:52 pm

AAD = antibiotic.associated diarrhea. Many antibiotics cause diarrhea which is not technically C diff and clears up pretty quick after you quit them...that would be called AAD. C diff is way more serious. Supposedly fosfo is known to cause AAD which wouldn't be cause for alarm, but the only way to know for sure would be a toxin test. The general rule of thumb is if you have diarrhea four times a day for four days in a row then you need to get to the doctor to be checked out for c diff. But anyway, listen to your doc and follow his/her orders for sure.

Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:04 am

Here's a good page on antibiotic associated C-diff.

http://prostatitis.org/redirect.php?lin ... e-diarrhea

"Without a doubt, clindamycin carries the highest risk of C difficile infection with an odds ratio of about 17-20 compared to no antibiotic exposure.3-5 Fluoroquinolones, cephalosporins, aztreonam, and carbapenems carry a fairly high risk, all of which being associated with an odds ratio of approximately 5 compared to no antibiotic exposure."

"Macrolides, sulfonamides/trimethoprim, and penicillins are associated with a moderate risk of C difficile infection with odds ratios between about 1.8 and 3.3.3-5 Within this group, penicillins are generally associated with a slightly higher risk (odds ratio about 50% higher) compared to macrolides and sulfonamides/trimethoprim. "

"In general, a longer antibiotic duration and multiple antibiotics (versus a single antibiotic) are 2 risk factors that increase the risk of antibiotic-associated C difficile diarrhea."

Don't know if starting on a second anti-B might be wise if your symptoms appear to be resolving. Multiple antibiotic therapy is known to increase risk for C-diff.

Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:18 am

Flagyl will also cause diarrhea, that's a very common side effect. When the hospital gave me flagyl for my c-diff, my symptoms didn't really improve all that much while I was on it even though it was certainly killing the c diff.

But remember, all these antibiotics are basically like dropping a nuclear bomb to your natural gut flora. You might want to reconsider your use of abxs from here on out and give yourself time to recover. You might find that the side effects from that are worse than your actual prostatitis symptoms...

Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:17 am

How long before you guys started abx again after c diff?

Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:56 am

So did you test positive for it?

Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:47 pm

Never got tested since diarrhea stopped next day. Doc said resume abx after a week no test needed.

I also started taking floraster. I'm assuming if it was mild c diff.

How long before u all started abx?

Without abx it's all discomfort, at least that helps me .

I think I should not have mixt3d doxy and fosfo..

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]