Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 First Post/Questions About Physical Therapy 

Post First Post/Questions About Physical Therapy
Hi all,

This is my first post here. I've had prostatitis-like symptoms for four months now. All my urine tests have come back clean, cystoscopy came back normal, and I've been on Bactrim for 6 weeks total. My current urinary symptoms are penis pain, dribbling after urination, sometimes frequent urination, and burning while urinating. On the non-urinary side, I have pain almost all over my body. Lower and upper back, joints, pelvis/sitting pain. These symptoms have led me to believe its CPPS/pelvic tension/body misalignment. I am seeing a chiropractor in 3 weeks and starting pelvic floor physical therapy in a month. I was hoping someone could chime in and let me know if this is the right way to go about it at this point.

Thanks!

Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:30 pm

Post Re: First Post/Questions About Physical Therapy
I don't think it's typical to have CPPS cause whole body pain. Certainly low back and pelvis, and even upper back from tensing up of pelvic region, but I'd be surprised if it caused pain in your knee joints, elbows, ankles, and wrists. If you have joint pain all over like that do you know if it started around the same time you began Bactrim or shortly thereafter?

Aside from that I agree that PT is a logical next step, too bad you have to wait a month to get in. I don't put much faith in chiropractors and generally consider them a waste of money, though that's just my own experience and opinion - others certainly disagree.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:32 pm

I think you are choosing rightly by going to both a chiropractor and physical therapist. I'm currently going to a physical therapist for myofascial release and after 3-4 times, I've started experiencing reduction in pain and symptoms by around 20-30% maximum. I think it requires more than a few times for more significant results (much less pain and symptoms) and increasing my activity level and improving my diet much more. I also have gut problems, so it's most likely that those need to be solved too, or at least significantly reduced.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:12 pm

I'm not really sure about when the body pain started. I asked a doctor about reactive arthritis but all my blood work came back negative. I'm on nortryptiline now for pain but it's not doing much. What's interesting to me is I feel sometimes after peeing like some is stuck in the urethra-when I tense the pelvis there is pain at the tip of my penis like a twinge. Not really sure what's going on there.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:13 pm

Prostate-The chiropractor is a family friend who I have talked to a few times during the course of this and he has a few ideas. I trust him and I figure it can't hurt-maybe he'll just pop something into place and I'll be cured! Who knows. See my previous post for timing on the joint pain-it kind of started a while ago and I'm not really sure.

Presto-Anything specifically I should ask about when I see the PT?

Thanks guys.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:12 pm

i also have widespread pain - don't think this is uncommon among CPPS people.

make sure the PT you are seeing specializes in pelvic pain.

Where are you located, and was there any event leading up the penile pain (sex, injury, ect) or did it just come on out of nowhere?

Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:29 pm

Going to the chiropractor sounds like a good idea. It could be something like that.

I'm a bit concerned by all over pain though, I started getting that kind of thing 3 years ago. They thought it could have been reactive arthritis, but the tests were always negative. If there is no swelling or redness it means it could be neuropathic type pains like fibromyalgia and neuropathy people have, very poorly treated by normal medicine. There's usually other options to make things better. Aim for a diet free of processed foods, refined sugar, lots of bread and dairy, drink lots of water, make sure your getting b vitamins from seafood. B vitamins support the nervous system. Antioxidants are important for this kind of problem, eat berries, lots of berries, but not so many you feel sick haha.

Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:21 pm

WS-I am in Northern Virginia but will be going to Maryland for PT. Unfortunately, the location is two hours from me so I can't start right away but when I start my new job in DC this summer I can just take a quick train ride. I am also hoping that a change of pace (I have a very heavy workload in school right now and am under quite a bit of stress) will help me out. This whole episode started absolutely out of the blue-I had come home for my winter break perfectly fine and it came on really quickly. That's why I think it is physical-I was really stressed during finals and being so tense might have messed something up in my body.

Chris-I usually alternate between joint pain and back pain, depending on the day. It doesn't cause me as much consternation as the other stuff, so if the chiropractor doesn't help I will just focus on my penis, etc for now.

Overall I am taking things day by day. It's very difficult, but hopefully a few months of physical therapy will help me out. I want to be better by next year because I am afraid this will affect my performance in school.

Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:23 pm

getouttahere wrote:
WS-I am in Northern Virginia but will be going to Maryland for PT. Unfortunately, the location is two hours from me so I can't start right away but when I start my new job in DC this summer I can just take a quick train ride. I am also hoping that a change of pace (I have a very heavy workload in school right now and am under quite a bit of stress) will help me out. This whole episode started absolutely out of the blue-I had come home for my winter break perfectly fine and it came on really quickly. That's why I think it is physical-I was really stressed during finals and being so tense might have messed something up in my body.

Chris-I usually alternate between joint pain and back pain, depending on the day. It doesn't cause me as much consternation as the other stuff, so if the chiropractor doesn't help I will just focus on my penis, etc for now.

Overall I am taking things day by day. It's very difficult, but hopefully a few months of physical therapy will help me out. I want to be better by next year because I am afraid this will affect my performance in school.

Did you ever fix your joint pain? Your symptoms are very similar to mine.

Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:20 am

Chucktown, my joint pain kind of just faded with time. Every now and then my knees ache but its not as constant or as bad.

Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:27 am

getouttahere wrote:
Chucktown, my joint pain kind of just faded with time. Every now and then my knees ache but its not as constant or as bad.

Do you think it was a result of any Fluoroquinolones you took or from prostatitis itself?

Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:00 pm

I don't think I took any antibiotics long enough to have tendon damage.

Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]