Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Fosfomycin / Monurol for Prostatitis: The Full Monty 

Post Re: Fosfomycin / Monurol for Prostatitis: The Full Monty
worldofxbox wrote:
I just got 45 more packets for 90 days. If this doesn't work then no clue.

Anyone taking this with doxy?

If you give up please pm me. I need to try and find 11 packets., my gp can't write a script as it's not in my country and he isn't allowed to write me a script for overseas :(

Fri May 26, 2017 4:59 pm

still trying to figure out if enterococcus faecalis is actually normal non-pathogenic flora in the prostate without WBCs.
I've been on antibiotics for years and it seems it may have caused a weak autoimmune illness (mixed connective tissue disease... or possibly nothing but pains from long term antibiotic use and the effect it has on my body).
anyway, i recently read a study were cipro was found to be more effective when taken with raw garlic due to its antiinflammatory properties. however, i then read that raw garlic can flare up autoimmune conditions, so keep this in mind if you've got an autoimmune condition and plan on taking garlic in addition to your antibiotics.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:32 pm

I am confused about some things being said in this thread..

Did your ejaculation become yellowish/brown AFTER and on taking Monurol/fosfo or was it yellowish/brown before taking it?

What is Spondy? someone said Fosfo is making him worse?

Have any of you had got worse symptoms of your prostatitis while taking fosfo or after taking fosfo? Is that possible to get worsen your prostatitis symptoms? (more pain etc, more reddish tip, more testicle pain, more inflammation/irritation)

I read lots of people taking it.. have any of you actually become better?

Metanoia, did you had prostatitis in the first place?

Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:39 pm

Hi Twister,

I was diagnosed with chronic bacterial prostatitis by a board certified urologist based on positive culture for haemophilus bacteria (after two rounds of doxy) and recurring epididymitis that switched sides from right to left over 5 months time.

My first symptom was watery, caramel colored semen followed swiftly by enlarged testicle with prominent epididymis. Ten days of Doxy knocked it down for over a month twice, but it kept coming back and switched sides from right to left with the third recurrence. My uro said if it was simple epididymitis, the doxy should have worked, and if the bug was resistant, it would have come back sooner than a months time and shouldn't have switched sides.

He said my symptoms were consistent with a low grade prostate infection "seeding" the recurring epididymitis after the doxy had cleared the original infection in the epididymis.

"Spondy" is ankylosing spondylitis and/or spondylosis... A type of arthritis in the spine. Woldofxbox was concerned fosfo might have caused a flare of klebsiella bacteria that causes spondy to flare. I believe he developed symptoms while he was on the fosfo though, & fosfo is supposed to be effective against klebsiella, so an overgrowth of klebsiella shouldn't have occurred until he had finished the fosfo.

After three episodes of epididymitis with suprapubic (bladder) pain & cloudy urine over 5 months time. Two rounds of doxy 10 days each and 14 days of doxy on the third relapse (which had ceased working), I started on 30 days of fosfo. 3 grams/day for 5 days, followed by 48 hour dosing for 3 more weeks.

The fosfo seemed to work slowly, & my left testicle was still double normal size and hard as a rock at around 10 days, but I never noticed a flare in symptoms during this time. At around day 14, my swelling (and all symptoms) resolved, and I continued taking the fosfo @ 48 hour dosing for another two weeks.

I was on tenter-hooks over the next two months after finishing the fosfo, as I didn't go the full 6 weeks used in the Greek study, & was waiting for (& fully expected) my 4th relapse. It never happened, & I've been symptom free for almost a year now. I just crossed the one year anniversary of my initial infection on June 18th. I finished my fosfo therapy (& kissed my troubles good by) in October 2016.

I've never been a particularly religious guy, but I about fell to my knees and thanked God when Thanksgiving came around and I was still symptom free. The quinolone & sulfa drugs really spooked me, & I really wanted to avoid having to take these at all costs.

They say God looks after children, drunks & fools, & I've been all three at one time or another. Glad I've gotten this behind me, & life is good again!

Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:06 am

What is safe to drink/eat during fosfo treatment?

Are you allowed to drink milk? eat milk diary products? chocolate? tea? energy drinks? sodas?

menthol pastilles? (if you have a cold throat)

eat normal food? pasta? rice? meat? chicken? spices?

allowed to eat minerals and vitamins while taking fosfo? such as vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin B, vitamin E, magnesium supplement, calcium supplement, and others? (cranberry supplement for example)

what about lactose? is it safe to eat lactose tablets to produce "good" germs in your stomach while taking fosfo? (to reduce diarrhea and stomach cramps/indigestion/nausea)

Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:54 am

It's probably smartest to avoid foods that cause inflammation when you're being treated for prostatitis and to also take probiotics once antibiotics or no longer in your stomach. In fact, if you can tolerate them, it may be a good idea to take anti-inflammatories at the same time, but talk to your doctor about this.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:43 am

Fosfo hasn't bothered my stomach at all - I haven't modified my diet at all other than to increase Kefir and yogurt intake. I also take ibuprofen almost daily but have not noticed any stomach effects one way or another from taking it, whether on abxs or not.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:15 pm

Fosfo is supposed to be non-reactive with food & medications. Don't know about supplements, but I was taking SAM-e, Vitamin-C, B-Complex and E. I avoided taking minerals, as I worried they might interact with the phosphorous component of the drug. Some minerals (mag & cal) are alkalizing, & fosfo is supposed to work best in an acidic tissue environment. Cranberry is acidifying, so this may beneficially enhance the effect. Pre & pro-biotics shouldn't hurt, but I took my probiotic well away (12 hours) from my dose of fosfo.

No interaction with alcohol, & I always have a few light beers after dinner.

I always took my fosfo on an empty stomach, about an hour before bed. Fosfo is absorbed into urinary tissues more through urine than through blood concentration. Apparently the kidneys filter it out so swiftly that blood concentrations don't last more than 4-6 hours or so, but the drug is absorbed so well from urine into urinary tissues, there is enough residual tissue levels of medication to last 48 hours.

I attempted to enhance absorption by taking it at night, when I'm urinating less frequently. I figure the longer the fosfo sits in the bladder, before you pee it out, the more medicine will be absorbed into urinary tissues. I washed my dose down with another 8 oz of plain water around half an hour after taking it, and half an hour before bed to be sure it didn't sit in my stomach overnight. Fosfo is absorbed in the intestines, not the stomach.

Hope this helps.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:58 pm

So it's safe to take these?
http://prostatitis.org/redirect.php?lin ... 000/large/

They contain http://prostatitis.org/redirect.php?lin ... tobacillus
Lactobacillus acidophilus
Lactobacillus plantarum
Bifidobacterium bifidum
Lactobacillus casei
Lactobacillus rhamnosus
Bifidobacterium longum
Bifidobacterium lactis

I take these whenever I have diarrhea or stomach cramps from whatever abx I take and my stomach instantly gets normal again, diarrhea disappears and stomach cramps is gone.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:43 pm

Probiotics won't hurt the effectiveness of fosfomycin, but fosfomycin might kill your probiotics if you take them too close together.

I took my fosfo right before bed, & my probiotic with lunch the next day. A 12 hour separation is probably best.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:32 am

So you took probiotics while you was taking your fosfo course?

Then probiotics might help my stomach cramps.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:07 pm

Kefir - I chug that stuff right from the bottle, yogurt, cottage cheese, florastor....these are all things I'm taking twice a day. I'm not sure all that dairy is particularly good for my digestive tract (I'm somewhat intolerant of dairy anyway)...but if it keeps c-diff away I don't care.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:03 pm

2 months of fosfo - no Improvement. Will continue for 1 more month.

Lol this drug is darn expensive.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:57 pm

So just got my 21 packets of fosfo, i'll start it soon :)

Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:37 am

Started Last night :) fingers crossed this does something positive.

Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:13 pm

Best of Luck LC. We need another WIN for this med here.

Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:50 am

Hi metanoia

so i just finished my 12 weeks treatment of fosfomycin at 18th july

Idk this is weird

so before fosfo my perineum pain is worse especially when riding a motorcycle

4 days of fosfo no improvement at all

about 5th day i have improvement

but for the next 11 weeks, it's like, my symptoms are better but not cured, still have feeling like a golfball in my prostate, i still need to ejaculate like 1-3 times a day to relieve my prostate

sometimes my prostate feels bad don't know what is the trigger ( even though i am on fosfo )

But all that i can say fosfo is helping me but not cured me

and since this is bacterial i think i need to find another way to cure or maintain it....

But maybe if you are lucky you could get rid of the bacteria....

i still think nothing to lose if you tried fosfo....

thanks....

Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:58 pm

Hi CHIP, & thanks for the update. Sorry the fosfo doesn't seem to be fixin' what ails you.

Are you going to try for another semen culture to see if your infection has persisted? I think you're supposed to wait around 30 days after anti-B therapy for followup cultures.

It's discouraging we haven't had another win with the fosfo in the members who've tried it. Perhaps my haemophilus was just particularly susceptible.

If Logcrusader strikes out, I give up. Thought for sure I'd found an easy way out for those of us with bacterial prostatitis. Glad you didn't have any nasty side effects at least.

I still can't help but think I'd give fosfo a try before I'd jump into the quinolone/sulfa pool.

Best of Luck as you continue your search for a cure.

Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:59 pm

yes i think the same as you, i will wait for 30 days to do a culture

but tbh if i have a flare up maybe i won't have motivation to do the culture haha

right now i just want to be releasing my mind from stress....

Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:15 am

3 months of fosfo - no Improvement.

Don't think fosfo is active against gram positive

Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:03 pm

8 days and i was feeling better.. tried gym today, feeling worse :)...

ive got 28 days of 48 hour dosing to go :)

i have seen some improvement.

Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:54 pm

@logcruisader did it work?

Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4