Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Fosfomycin / Monurol for Prostatitis: The Full Monty 

Post Re: Fosfomycin / Monurol for Prostatitis: The Full Monty
Hi,

Quick update for all that are trying fosfo treatment, I'm on my 4th week of fosfo treatment (every 48h). Still with up and downs but the pain is mostly gone. The only symptom that I still have is frequency which is very annoying but I believe it is still damage that ecoli did to my prostate that is healing. In terms of side effects only soft stool.

Fri May 05, 2017 5:50 am

is every 48 hrs working for you? gdadealmeida

Fri May 05, 2017 11:00 am

I am at 16th day, idk about this, but ever since i go to 48 hours dosing i think testicle pain become worse than when i was on 24 hours dosing, idk what to do

Fri May 05, 2017 12:43 pm

Thanks for the update gdad.

We need some more success stories with this med to get a consensus on its effectiveness.

Fingers crossed this treatment holds for you and symptoms continue to resolve!

Fri May 05, 2017 1:23 pm

Thanks Metanoia.

Chip, I think that in bacterial prostatitis, you'll always have up downs, mostly because is a biofilm infection, meaning that every time there are some changes/destruction of those biofilms it causes flare ups and pain. I've notice that the day I take fosfo, I usually get mild night sweats and much more frequency during the day. Last week I tried to take every 24h during 3 days and tbh it was the same, but the stool would be much softer and I had to poop 2/3 a day, so Im staying on the 48h dosing. I think its preferable to do a extended treatment than an agressive one, you shouldnt be pushing your body that much.

One thing that I find very helpful is sex, I'm having on a daily basis and relief my symptoms. One thing Ive noticed is that before the treatment my sperm was yellowish, granulated and It was low quantity; nowadays It's not yellow anymore, regular colour and much more quantity (still somewhat granulated). I must add that I was taking saw palmetto since february and I've stopped for a week now, I suspected that I had reduced libido from it, much less "morning wood" etc, I can say that my libido is almost normal now and regular sex drive. I'm not saying that saw palmetto is not good, but it didnt work for me, as I do enjoy sex.

So my treatment is fosfo every 48h, garlic pills (which I will switch to allimax as soon it arrives), and will add quercetin and vit D (which I have low since I dislike sun).

Hope this helps

Fri May 05, 2017 6:14 pm

I agree with the sexual activity while on antibiotics, & I practiced this too.

The muscular spasm during ejaculation logically should help shake things up, and as long as the antibiotic is present, any spread of bacteria should not occur or would be swiftly killed once outside the prostate.

Semen is comprised of 20-30 percent prostatic fluid... Pump this out and it is going to be replaced... If you're on antibiotics at the time, this logically should help the antibiotic into the prostate.

Don't know if this has been scientifically validated anywhere, but an enjoyable experiment anyway.

Sat May 06, 2017 3:12 am

How long before you notice improvement with fosfo? I have been taking it every single day each packet at night. Nothing...Still have the pain.

Sun May 07, 2017 1:45 pm

Prostate massage?

Sun May 07, 2017 1:46 pm

I didn't notice much improvement for the first 2 weeks. Was really worried it wasn't working myself at first.

Prostate massage? Ejaculation was as close to this as I got, but the muscular spasm and cleaning the pipes did seem to help.

Hope you see some improvement soon!

Sun May 07, 2017 8:46 pm

5 Packets of Fosfo in 5 days, pain improve just little. Am I taking this drug the wrong way or what?

I take it at night...don't pee much after....

I thought prostatitis usually improves fairly quick with right med treatment, am I missing something?

Mon May 08, 2017 5:58 pm

I believe the big guns anti-B's quinolones (Cipro) & sulfa (Bactrim) may produce a more dramatic initial response.

Doxycycline even gave me quicker results than I saw with fosfo. The doxy stopped working on my third relapse though. 14 days & I still wasn't any better than on day 1.

What counts perhaps isn't so much how quickly you start to see results, but whether or not you get a lasting result, which is what I got with fosfo. I never tried the Cipro/Bactrim meds as the side effects spooked me. Nothing against them though. I simply wanted to try a safer med before I went to the big-guns, & fosfo's safety record is substantially better than Quin's or Sulfa.

If the fosfo doesn't work for you, you'll probably need to go back to the traditional meds, perhaps for longer duration or higher dosage.

Keep the faith for another week or so. My turnaround didn't occur until after 2 weeks on the fosfo. It does take time for it to penetrate & spread throughout the entire prostate gland.

Mon May 08, 2017 7:35 pm

How does fosfo work and get to prostate I'm confused.

You take initial dosage which is filter by kidney and most of it sits in your bladder or urination but wouldn't all of it wash out when you pee?

It's not absorb by blood???

Everyone taking it daily right?

Mon May 08, 2017 8:20 pm

I took 3 grams daily for 5 days, and then dropped down to 48 hour dosing (every other day) for another 3 weeks.

From what I've read, fosfomycin is quickly filtered out by the kidneys, and this is why it doesn't work well for things like pneumonia, sore throat or other infections outside the urinary tract. Fosfomycin has been used intravenously at extremely high doses (12-16 grams/day) for severe multi-drug resistant infections outside the urinary tract in liver transplant patients, but GI symptoms prevent oral dosing more often than 3gr/day. Even with the high doses used in IV therapy, they didn't encounter any significant adverse reactions or side effects.

It's supposed to be easily and rapidly absorbed by urinary tissues during the brief time the fosfomycin rich urine is in your bladder. Because of this, it was approved by the FDA only for bladder infections. Researchers discovered fosfo appears to permeate urinary tissues beyond just the bladder, and apparently fosfo works for epididymitis as well as prostate infection, but is not effective against kidney infections.

Studies in Greece and Australia treating multi-drug resistant prostatitis have shown up to an 85% bacterial eradication rate for fosfomycin taken orally. The Greek study used daily dosing (3gr/day) for 7 days, followed by an additional 5 weeks of 48 hour dosing; and the Australian doctor said he used daily dosing for the entire 6 weeks. Both had similar success rates.

Mon May 08, 2017 11:26 pm

Did you notice less pain in prostate after first week?

I have this crazy sore feeling in the prostate not improving with fosfo...I taken 5 packets so far.

Wed May 10, 2017 3:28 pm

Hi world,

Im currently on my 4th week of fosfo treatment and I cant say that I am 100% better, but Im feeling better. Most of the days I dont have any pain, but during the treatment I usually have flare ups which are getting more spaced out and less severe each time I have it (yesterday I had one, and im feeling much better today); during these flare ups I usually have night sweats, more frequency/hesitation and pain. From what I've researched you wont be cured in 5 days, expect a long road in the way of treatment and I believe that flare ups and inflammation during the treatment is a good sign as when I tried the regular abx the symptoms remained the same, almost in a mild state.

One thing I must had is that since i've dropped saw palmetto my sexual performance is much better. For me it works having sex daily, if not possible masturbation, it reliefs my symptoms; before the treatment my semen was yellowish and during the treatment is getting the usual white/grey, however during the flare ups comes out yellowish again, which i suspect is a die off of bacterias. One thing ive noticed, well not me but the my lady, is that the quantity of sperm is much more than before the treatment (dunno if this is from the fosfo or quitting saw palmetto).

Hope this helps

Thu May 11, 2017 11:18 am

Fosfo is making my Spondy, worse? Is this possible?

Thu May 11, 2017 2:25 pm

Spondy? What is this? All drugs carry some risk for side effects, but fosfo is one of the most benign Anti-B's I've seen.

Even at high doses (12-16 grams/day) given intravenously in seriously ill ICU patients, they didn't note any substantial side effects.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2003

Fri May 12, 2017 2:01 am

Hi All

Where and how are you getting so much fosfo, im struggling to get a supply so that i can try the drug. i have only 9 doses, which wont do the trick, i need to get up to about 20 doses. So 11 doses to source. i was lucky to get the 9 doses while in bangkok, but in my country they dont have this drug..

Also interested to know about the Australian study..
thanks

Tue May 16, 2017 6:26 pm

In the USA, once you've got a legal scrip (for any amount) from a local doctor, you can order more from an online (international) pharmacy, or bring additional supplies across the boarder. I'm in San Diego, so I got more from Mexico.

Getting my doc to prescribe it wasn't easy, but I told him I was a daily drinker and didn't know if I could go teetotal for a month or more, so that effectively ruled out sulfa/Bactrim. I also have a history of plantar fasciitis and shoulder tendinopathy, & told him I would be hopping mad if these got worse with Cipro/quinolones.

Don't know if your doc might be open to prescribing fosfo from an international source, but if you could demonstrate fosfo was safer than quinolones (it is!), and infinitely less allergenic than sulfa (it is!); and demonstrated to be effective from multiple sources around the world (it has!), then why not try this? I don't know the laws regarding importation of medicine in your country, but if you've got a valid scrip, this should be a doable thing. If you could research the laws on this through your immigration/boarder officials before you approach your doc, this might be helpful.

The Greek study is fairly well known... Ilias Karaiskos, MD, from the Hygeia General Hospital in Athens, Greece achieved an 85% cure rate in 20 patients with chronic, multi-drug resistant (65% were infected with Escherichia coli, 15% with Klebsiella oxytoca, 10% with Proteus mirabilis, and 10% with Enterococcus faecalis) prostatitis. (you can add my cure of haemophilus influenzae to the list!)

Lindsay Grayson, MD, from the University of Melbourne in Australia was involved with a study of fosfomycin concentrations in the prostate of men with chronic prostatitis (Clin Infect Dis. 2014;58:e101-e105) and a report of two cases of cure with this drug (Clin Infect Dis. 2015;61:1141-1143).

J. Curtis Nickel, MD, a professor of urology at Queens University in Kingston, Ontario, Canada stated at the 2015 Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy in San Diego “when confronted with chronic bacterial prostatitis with multi-resistant bacteria, I do not hesitate to use fosfomycin as a viable treatment option.”

The links to these studies are in the threads in my initial post in this thread, and there are plenty of other published reports to be found with a simple web search for: Fosfomycin for Prostatitis.

Tue May 16, 2017 11:34 pm

Thanks for the feedback, i'm speaking to my dr tomorrow.

Anyone here ordered from an online pharmacy? was it stupidly expensive etc?

Thanks
Greg

Wed May 17, 2017 12:15 am

Fosfomycin / Monurol is approved and marketed as a "one & done" treatment for female UTI's, typically in pregnant women due to the low toxicity and low reaction/allergic potential. Because of this, the manufacturer must make its entire profit from the single dose, making it rather pricey to take for the longer durations.

My insurance co-pay was $10/dose American, & the Monurol I got from Mexico was $25/dose. I burned through 20 doses in a month (dosing daily for 5 days, followed by 3 weeks of 48 hour dosing). Total cost, $350 for the 20 dose month. Ten through my doc, & ten from Mexico.

My doc's formulary for fosfo/prostatitis that popped up on his computer was for dosing every 3 days (UNWISE!), and he wouldn't go over this protocol, so I had to scrounge more from Mexico. I believe my doc was simply trying to humor me before he moved me to the sulfa/Bactrim he wanted me to take. He was surprised as I was when it worked. I never told him about the extra doses I got from Mexico.

Anything over 30-35 bucks/dose American from an online source would seem to be a rip-off (to me), but again, the manufacturer prices this as a single dose prescription and they want to make some money, so you're not likely to find this much cheaper than 25-30 (American)/dose. I also found some sources offering fosfo at lower doses than the 3 gram standard dose, so watch out for this. You need the 3 gram dose for prostatitis!

Wed May 17, 2017 2:45 am

so I have gone through my 15 packets of Fosfo. The day I take fosfo I feel really good, no prostate pain etc... but after that the pain is back. Would I continue for another 30 more days? Maybe, but this drug is fucking expensive.

I have to pay $150 for 15 day supply as copay.

Guys, if your in America and you have a valid script, GO TO CVS and they should be able to get this drug for you easy.

Wed May 24, 2017 2:57 pm

Also, this drug has def made arthritis worse, NO improvement on that aspect but I know it seems to be working slowly but I want to ensure I give proper 6 to 8 week trial before I can say this did or did not work for me.

Next drug on the list is Zyvox for 14 days. This should def get gram positive bug out if its in urinary and NOT in prostate.

No more Abx to try after this.

Wed May 24, 2017 3:00 pm

I got frustrated with the cost too and with symptoms resolving completely at around day 21, I quit at only 30 days. Perhaps I got lucky, but I thank God I didn't have to move on to more problematic anti-B's like sulfa/quinolones.

Fosfo is supposed to be very effective for simple UTI's, both gram positive and g-negative so don't know if I'd be eager to switch to Zyvox. Does this penetrate the prostate at all?

Are you getting any opinions from your doc on this?

Wed May 24, 2017 8:08 pm

I just got 45 more packets for 90 days. If this doesn't work then no clue.

Anyone taking this with doxy?

Fri May 26, 2017 11:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next