Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Fosfomycin / Monurol for Prostatitis: The Full Monty 

Post Re: Fosfomycin / Monurol for Prostatitis: The Full Monty
Thanks gdadealmeida.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:17 am

hi, i have been on 5 dose of fosfomycin

i dont know if it is working or not, maybe my perineum pain improved,

but testicle pain is there, but i want to focus on the dosage question

i mean, i just took it 5 days, 3g per day

and i am planning to extend the 3g per day dose to maybe 10 or 14 days

but the problem is in the instruction said that one of the symptoms of over dosage is metalic taste, and i have a little mettalic taste in my mouth since day 2 or 3, and i have mild diarrhea after the 1st day, (the diarhea easly managed with banana and i also add plenty much of probiotics to prevent clostridium difficile colonization)

anyone have the same problem with metallic taste? should i extend the 3g/day to 10 or 14 days? pls share oppinion guys...

Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:26 am

What does your doctor say? Did s/he assign the dose?

Keep an eye on the diarrhea, just because you're on probiotics doesn't mean you're protected from clostridium. You really, really don't want to allow it to colonize.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:43 am

I've read studies where they dosed fosfo intravenously at a dozen or more grams a day, so I imagine a true overdose would be difficult to occur at a gram a day orally.

Other studies where they tried to dose fosfo orally at up to 3 grams/day resulted in "gastrointestinal intolerance", presumably diarrhea. As long as you're not getting this too bad there shouldn't be any danger, but then I'm not a doctor so best go with what yours advises.

Hope you continue to see some results on the symptoms.

Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:19 pm

i feel better, but idk if i should continue with 3g/day, i mean i am better, but i still have the pain though....

i just afraid that going to 3g/48 hours won't meet the MIC

yes i will keep an eye on the diarrhea, actually it's not diarrhea, but the stool is just not congested, but i don't have the urge to do the bowel movement....

Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:02 pm

Hi metanoia, after how much monurol you were completely symptoms free? i have been on 7, i feel better, but still have perineum/testicle pain....

just want to know your data so i could consider to prolong current dosage or switch to 48 hours dosage....

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:59 am

I was actually concerned the fosfo wasn't working until around day 14. My testicle was still hard as a rock and about double normal size.

I was getting a "soft-serve" ice cream like stool during my therapy, but no fecal urgency or watery stool.

I really can't say whether or not to tough out the daily dosing any longer before dropping down to 48 hours, but the Greek study had them at 48 hours after 7 days of daily dosing with an 85% success rate.

I do believe it's important for therapy to run at least a month and perhaps 6 weeks according to the Greek protocol. Better a longer therapy at 48 hours, than more aggressive dosing for a shorter therapy.

Hope your symptoms fade when you do decide to drop down to 48 hour dosing.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:55 pm

I sometimes got soft-serve" ice cream like stool during my therapy, sometimes watery stool, but i also don't have fecal urgency

oh so you got totally symptomps free after 14th dosage

i just concerned about this, because you know that if we don't get rid all of the bacteria, they will just multiply again

I think i will prolonged my 24 hours dosage to 10 or 14 days then switched to 48 hours

I think i pretty much don't have any other choice, it's so unfortunate that fluoroquinolones make me get tinnitus and other Sh*t

I don't live in the US, i live far away in Indonesia, i hope i don't have to go the USA because of my prostatitis

Thanks Metanoia, i hope i will overcome this....

Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:06 am

My fingers are crossed for you CHIP. I look forward to hearing good news from you SOON!

Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:06 am

Hi,

Quick update on my treatment with fosfomycine.

I'm on my 18th day of treatment (every 48 hours now), and I can say it has been full of up and downs. I have a very stressful job which I believe its not helpful on this condition.

The main difference from other abx Ive tried is that I have symptom cycles, I feel less symptoms in the offdays of fosfo and the morning after I take fosfo I actually feel more inflammation, urgency etc etc. The other abx ive tried I was staying always the same. Don't know what this means but I'm keeping the treatment for 6 weeks at least.

I've dropped saw palmetto as it is messing up with my libido, but keeping the garlic pills. In terms of diet, ive dropped coffee, alcohol, red meat, spicy food etc for 3 months now, and try to eat the most alkaline foods possible.

My doctor wants to add doxy to my treatment, 100mg twice a day as it was the abx that cleared my urethritis in the beginning, but I dont want to push it.

Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:05 am

gdadealmeida wrote:
Hi,

Quick update on my treatment with fosfomycine.

I'm on my 18th day of treatment (every 48 hours now), and I can say it has been full of up and downs. I have a very stressful job which I believe its not helpful on this condition.

The main difference from other abx Ive tried is that I have symptom cycles, I feel less symptoms in the offdays of fosfo and the morning after I take fosfo I actually feel more inflammation, urgency etc etc. The other abx ive tried I was staying always the same. Don't know what this means but I'm keeping the treatment for 6 weeks at least.

I've dropped saw palmetto as it is messing up with my libido, but keeping the garlic pills. In terms of diet, ive dropped coffee, alcohol, red meat, spicy food etc for 3 months now, and try to eat the most alkaline foods possible.

My doctor wants to add doxy to my treatment, 100mg twice a day as it was the abx that cleared my urethritis in the beginning, but I dont want to push it.

I think we are the same, the levofloxacin i took made me always stay the same,

and with this fosfo sometimes i feel less perineum and testicle pain, sometimes feels a little worse

but i also want to finish with the 6 weeks treatment i think....

Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:03 pm

Hi Metanoia, do you emptying the bladder everytime you took the drug? because the instruction said so....

Mon May 01, 2017 12:09 pm

Yes, I always dosed my fosfo around half an hour before bed & emptied my bladder shortly after. I really think this nocturnal dosing helps bathe urinary tissues with higher concentrations for a longer period of time, maximizing absorption into tissues. As fosfo is absorbed via urine rather than blood levels, this just makes sense.

Mon May 01, 2017 10:19 pm

so you mean that you took the drug first then emptying the bladder??

i emptying the bladder first then took the drug....

Mon May 01, 2017 10:40 pm

Fosfomycin is filtered from the blood to urine during the first few hours after you dose. As long as you take your final urination of the evening within an hour after taking it, you should get the maximum effect.

Exact timing isn't critical. You just don't want to take it after dinner and then wash it swiftly through your system with a half a dozen beers or something similar to this.

I always took mine around an hour before bed, & then had another glass of water over the next half hour or so after dosing to be sure the fosfo isn't sitting in my stomach all night. Fosfo is absorbed in the intestines, not the stomach, so I don't take it right before I lie down to sleep, but an hour or so before.

Again, the timing isn't all that critical, but nocturnal dosing is far better than dosing in the morning, or before consuming large amounts of fluid that will pass through you swiftly.

Tue May 02, 2017 1:16 am

My new uro just gave me fosfo..but only 1 sachet....is one day really going to do anything. I know for uti it may but prostatitis?
Feel like after months of anti biotics....trying one sachet of fosfo is ajoke

Tue May 02, 2017 9:54 pm

I've never heard of single dosing for prostatitis. Your doc may be getting this protocol in his formulary when he pulls up the info on this drug as it is typically marketed as a one & done treatment for UTI.

I wouldn't take this single dose if I had bacterial prostatitis as this might simply result in your bug developing a resistance to the med, sabotaging this option for future use.

I'd print out the protocols from the studies I linked to on page one and ask him what formulary he's looking at for his single dose protocol for prostatitis.

Tue May 02, 2017 11:29 pm

Thanks Met, i already took the fosfo and i dont have another appointment with him for 6 weeks. He is highly regarded..head of the urology dept at hospital in city. His bio says he has background in prostatitis . Yet he rx this to me when i brought up mycoplasma. This isnt even used for myco....
He said that maybe this started from the myco but that all other drugs i took would have killed it and that there is now a cycle of inflammation. He gave me celebrex and wants to see if that helps.
He doesnt think antibiotics will help anymore. He also mentioned a steroid to see if that helps. I think that is his next choice.

Wed May 03, 2017 12:09 am

Metanoia wrote:
Fosfomycin is filtered from the blood to urine during the first few hours after you dose. As long as you take your final urination of the evening within an hour after taking it, you should get the maximum effect.

Exact timing isn't critical. You just don't want to take it after dinner and then wash it swiftly through your system with a half a dozen beers or something similar to this.

I always took mine around an hour before bed, & then had another glass of water over the next half hour or so after dosing to be sure the fosfo isn't sitting in my stomach all night. Fosfo is absorbed in the intestines, not the stomach, so I don't take it right before I lie down to sleep, but an hour or so before.

Again, the timing isn't all that critical, but nocturnal dosing is far better than dosing in the morning, or before consuming large amounts of fluid that will pass through you swiftly.

wait, i took it before i lie down to sleep, i think i will try your advice to take it 1 hour before sleep and drink a glass 30 minutes after i took the drug....

Thu May 04, 2017 4:54 am

How long before fosfo starts working?

I took my first packet and I still have prostate pain as well pelvic pain.

Thu May 04, 2017 10:48 am

My symptoms didn't show noticeable improvement till around 10 days or so. I had another bout of epididymitis and my left testicle was still hard as a rock and double normal size.

Everything normalized during the second 2 weeks of treatment, & I had a full recovery with no further relapses for over 6 months now.

Keep the faith, & I hope you see results soon!

Thu May 04, 2017 1:16 pm

Metanoia wrote:
My symptoms didn't show noticeable improvement till around 10 days or so. I had another bout of epididymitis and my left testicle was still hard as a rock and double normal size.

Everything normalized during the second 2 weeks of treatment, & I had a full recovery with no further relapses for over 6 months now.

Keep the faith, & I hope you see results soon!

Metanoia, did you actually have prostatitis? Epididymitis and a double-sized testicle don't seem analogous to a prostatitis diagnosis.

Thu May 04, 2017 2:15 pm

I had recurring epididymitis (3 bouts over 5 months) that switched sides from the right (2 times) to the left (third relapse). Doxy knocked this back twice for over a month each time.

My uro said the fact that it kept returning after several weeks symptom free and the fact that it switched sides indicated an infection in the prostate that was "seeding" new epididymitis once the doxy effectively cleared it outside of the prostate. Don't know if this was actually what was going on, but simply what my uro opined. He wanted to move on to sulfa/Bactrim, but this med spooked me a bit (as did Cipro!).

I had a positive semen culture for haemophilus bacteria with my third relapse a month after two rounds of doxy, which should have cleared it if it was simple epididymitis.

I was on a third round of doxy for 2 weeks, which now was no longer effective when I switched to the fosfo.

Thu May 04, 2017 8:05 pm

I messed up, instead of daily dosing I did 48 hrs.

Did I just make the bugs resistent? First 24hr was good. Last 24 hrs have been in pain.

Obviously, it needs daily dosage..

Am I safe to continue or did I runied drug in 1 packet?

Thu May 04, 2017 9:54 pm

Some protocols utilize 48 hour dosing, but most dose daily for the first week.

I dosed daily for 5 days without seeing much improvement at all, but began seeing a full recovery on 48 hour dosing around 10 days later.

When I first started on fosfo, I wanted to dose daily for as long as possible, but supply issues forced me to drop to 48 hour dosing after only 5 days. As I finished my month on fosfo, I started thinking perhaps 48 hour dosing for longer periods might be better than aggressive dosing for shorter periods.

I'm just grateful it worked, & I got my misery of 2016 behind me.

I don't think you've ruined your therapy with a skipped daily dose.

Thu May 04, 2017 11:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next