Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Fosfomycin / Monurol for Prostatitis: The Full Monty 

Post Fosfomycin / Monurol for Prostatitis: The Full Monty
OK, I'm still getting quite a few PM's regarding my experience with fosfomycin, so I thought I'd post some links as a reference of what I've learned for new members interested in this therapy.

Any member can locate/isolate all my posts by clicking on my handle "Metanoia", and then looking for "Search user's posts" under User Statistics. This link may work if you're signed in.

search.php?author_id=4230&sr=posts

Many of these posts are simple replies & conversation, so I wanted to add a few of my authored posts...

Did it work for you? Yes! Fare Thee Well... Looks Like the Fosfomycin Worked!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1844

Will it work for my bug? List of Medications for Bacterial Prostatitis

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1868

How do I get my doctor to prescribe it? Dealing with Doctors / Fosfomycin for Prostatitis

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1883

Where can I get it? Fosfomycin, where to get?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1882

What dosage/protocol do I use?

The links above include different opinions on dosage & protocol. Basically, they indicate daily dosing (3 gram standard dose) for a week, followed by 3 to 5 more weeks of the standard 3 gram dose every 48 hours. I dosed daily for 5 days, followed by 48 hour dosing for another 3 weeks, for a total therapy of only a month, which worked for my haemophilus infection. Your bug may take longer (6 weeks).

Fosfomycin/Monurol is best taken on a fairly empty stomach in the evening about an hour before bed, as fosfo penetrates urinary tissues from the urine itself and not so much through blood levels. The kidneys filter fosfomycin out of the blood rapidly, so blood levels drop swiftly, concentrating fosfomycin in urine where it is absorbed into tissues of the urinary tract (including the prostate gland).

If you take it during the day, high fluid throughput and frequent urination will wash the fosfo through your system swiftly, with little time for absorption into prostate tissue. Taking it at night will result in high concentrations of fosfomycin in urine for a longer period of time, resulting in much higher tissue absorption and effectiveness.

Hope this helps... Best of Luck, & Godspeed!

Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:49 am

Post Re: Fosfomycin / Monurol for Prostatitis: The Full Monty
Did you take it with another drug? I heard bacteria become easily resistant to fosfo, is this true?

Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:44 pm

No, after 3 failed try's with doxy, I went on fosfo, and was on no other med combination.

Resistance to fosfo has been documented to develop swiftly with E-Coli, which is why it historically has not been used for extended therapy.

I haven't read theory as to how fosfo appears to be working with extended therapy for prostatitis. The only thing I can imagine, is that fosfo kills swiftly as it penetrates prostatic tissue (before resistance can occur), but it takes time for it to fully penetrate the prostate gland and biofilms of the organisms. This is the only way I can see how it has been as effective as it has been in trials.

Prostate tissue is notoriously non-vascular and penetration of the entire gland takes time. It apparently swiftly knocks out superficial infection before resistance can occur, and continues to kill swiftly as uptake of the med penetrates deeper into prostatic tissue.

It appears to be as effective as quins or sulfa for chronic bacterial infections. Don't know about acute infection, but my infection had become chronic by the time I tried this.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:15 am

But you took it by itself or with another drug like doxy or something?

Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:55 am

I started the fosfo several weeks after my third doxy failure, & took it solo... No other drugs combined with the fosfo.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:52 pm

hi metanoia

I have pseudomonas aeruginosa on my semen and urine,

my pain is in testicle and also perineum,
usually it's testicle pain especially when sitting, but sometimes perineum pain too...

but the thing that bother me is, do you really have epididymitis or it's from prostatitis?

i don't know if my testicle pain is due to the prostatitis or it's a different infection (but both come at the same time, and my urine has the bacteria too), that bothers me because you said the penetration via blood is poor so, if it could reach my prostate, could it also reach my testicle??

i am so confused about all of this, please share your thought metanoia, thanks a lot....

Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:28 am

Hi CHIP,

My "condition" started out as a bout with epididymitis on my right side last June, which doxy seemed to knock down quite well. 5 weeks later it was back (again on my right side), so I went back on doxy and was referred to a uro by my GP. By the time I got an appointment with my uro, my right side had resolve once again, but I now came down with epididymitis on my left side.

My uro said epididymitis on one side can be caused by infection of the epididymis, or possibly even plumbing problems (toxic epididymitis from urine back-up / uric acid), but when it crosses sides like mine had done it is most likely an infection that has spread to the prostate, and the infected prostate is now "seeding" relapsing epididymitis. Anit-B's knock out the infection in the epididymitis, but the infected prostate (which doxy does not penetrate well) keeps re-infecting the epididymis.

I had two clean urine cultures, but asked and got a semen culture from the uro, which turned up haemophilus bacteria. Haemophilus is an a-typical pathogen for the urinary system, and is usually an oral infection see in young children. As it happens, I have a 2 year old granddaughter in daycare my wife often looks after, so it looks like my granddaughter gave me this bug through "oral contact" with my infected (but non-symptomatic) wife!

I was horrified to learn the only anti-B's that penetrated the prostate well were quinolones and sulfa, as both these meds have nasty reputations for allergic reactions, side effects and failed effectiveness. Dr Google led me to the studies on fosfomycin (Monurol), and the dramatic results some doc's were getting, even for resistant organisms in prostatitis.

A bit of research on my part showed fosfo was in fact effective against haemophilus, so I went, evidence in hand to my uro and begged he let me try this before we went with the sulfa my doc wanted to use. He humored me with a prescription, but his formulary didn't allow the aggressive dosing used in the studies. Once I had my scrip, I managed to get some more fosfo from Mexico, and now had enough for a month long protocol of 48 hour dosing. Most of the studies on fosfo for prostatits go 6 weeks, but I went with what I had, & wound up putting all my troubles behind me. I'm 6 months symptom free, & life is good again!

Fosfomycin apparently works on urinary tissues by contact with the urine itself. The kidneys filter fosfo out of the blood quite swiftly, which is why fosfo doesn't work for pneumonia, sore throat, sinus or other infections. As the fosfomycin rich urine sits in the bladder, it is well absorbed into surrounding tissues, and apparently works remarkably well for most all lower urinary infections (though it is not recommended for kidney infection). Don't know how it works its way all the way down to the epididymis, but this is where my primary symptoms were, and a month of stand alone fosfo took care of everything.

I literally thanked God I didn't have to go with the big-guns quinolone or sulfa meds, & can't help but shout about this from the roof-tops now. Fosfomycin is a VERY benign med! Side effects are few (soft-serve stool), and allergic reactions are next to nill. My humble opinion is that it's madness this therapy hasn't caught on better by now. The research on effectiveness and proper protocols is out there and has been cross-confirmed by multiple urologists.

The pro-active patient may be key to getting urologist's into the 21st Century on this therapy, & I hope to see some more success stories popping up here soon!

Best of Luck, & Godspeed to you!

Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:38 pm

hello metanoia, so the fosfomycin could also reach the testicle????

is it via blood or via the urine (for the epididymitis?)

i want to ask, do you feel that your weight goes up after you take doxy and fosfo??

my weight seems to gain everytime after i took anti-b.

don't know why... perhaps the anti-b kill the good bacteria in my gut....

Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:15 am

From what I've read, oral fosfo only works for urinary infections through absorption from the urine itself. Apparently it does spread all the way to the testes, as that's where my primary symptoms were. Relapsing epididymitis due to chronic haemophilus infection in the prostate.

IV fosfomycin has been used to salvage patients with resistant sepsis. It's given at a 12-18 grams per day (which you'd never tolerate orally) every few hours. This is the only way to keep blood levels high enough to treat infection outside the urinary system.

Remarkably, even the IV dosing at 12-18 grams/day was not particularly toxic or allergenic. Evidence of just how benign a med fosfo is. Today, it's rarely used except to treat urinary infection in pregnant women (due to its remarkable safety profile). Infinitely safer than sulfa or quins, yet remarkably effective, even against resistant organisms. Fosfomycin really should be the go-to first line treatment for prostatitis and/or any lower urinary tract infections.

Mainstream urologists need to move into the 21st Century and give up their failing old school treatments. Going straight to Cipro without even knowing if you're dealing with a resistant organism is absolute madness (my humble opinion).

Bactrim (SMZ-TMP) is nearly as foolish.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1885

The highly allergenic SMZ component (sulfamethoxazole) doesn't even penetrate the prostate well:

“The prostatic concentration of sulfamethoxazole is much lower, raising doubts that it synergizes with trimethoprim.”

If your bug is sensitive to trimethoprim, great. Go with this stand alone med and not the highly allergenic SMZ-TMP combo!

Going straight to an extended course of double strength Bactrim DS without even knowing if the infecting organism is resistant to trimethoprim is a recipe for an acute and totally unnecessary allergic reaction to the ineffective component (sulfamethoxazole).

Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:30 pm

One thing to remember is that fosfo will also upset your gut's bacterial balance just like any other antibiotic. It's not as though it only impacts your urinary tract - you're still putting yourself at risk of intestinal superinfection by taking it. Just a sober reminder that there's no silver bullet when it comes to abxs for prostatitis.

http://prostatitis.org/redirect.php?lin ... nurol.html

Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:29 pm

'Tis true, any and all anti-B's can disrupt gut flora, and C-Diff can be fatal.

When it comes to Black Box Warnings though, Cipro gets the prize:

"Fluoroquinolones, including Cipro, have been associated with disabling and potentially irreversible serious adverse reactions from different body systems that can occur together in the same patient. Commonly seen adverse reactions include tendinitis, tendon rupture, arthralgia, myalgia, peripheral neuropathy, and central nervous system effects (hallucinations, anxiety, depression, insomnia, severe headaches, and confusion).These reactions can occur within hours to weeks after starting Cipro. Patients of any age or without pre-existing risk factors have experienced these adverse reactions"

Bactrim has its own horror stories, mostly acute allergic reactions to the sulfamethoxazole component of the drug. Ironic as the sulfamethoxazole component of the med has been found to penetrate the prostate rather poorly, and the other component in Bactrim (trimethoprim) is available as a stand alone medication with far less allergic potential than the combo Bactrim.

According to the literature, likelihood of allergic reactions to Bactrim are largely dependent on "Dose & Duration". For prostatitis, uro's usually prescribe Bactrim DS, the "DS" standing for Double Strength. Length/Duration of therapy of Bactrim for prostatitis is also typically quite long.

Perhaps it's wise to avoid any and all anti-B's unless and until you've got a positive culture confirming you condition is in fact a bacterial infection, and documented sensitivity to the med your doc wants to prescribe. For an obvious acute infection, where you want to start therapy immediately and can't wait for a proper culture and sensitivity, safety along with effectiveness should be considered.

Personally, I would want to avoid a med with multiple black box warnings, or high potential for acute allergic reactions if I could.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:31 pm

i second that thinking on cipro. ive taken 12 weeks of it, and im left with some horrid side effects, my feet hurt, my joints are sore, my leg muscles are stuffed. Please think about what you are taking, id rather fosfo over cipro..

Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:35 pm

Thanks for the input LC. I was thinking if the fosfo failed, I was going to go with stand alone trimethoprim rather than the Bactrim combo SMZ-TMP. Problem was, my haemophilus culture wasn't sufficient to get a proper sensitivity done. Haemophilus requires a special enriched CO2 atmosphere to grow well in the lab.

TMP is popular for female UTI infections in Europe (where resistance has become common), but not so much in the USA. As the TMP component of Bactrim penetrates the prostate well, but the highly allergenic SMZ component apparently does not, why go with the combo Bactrim?

If you want to see what an acute sulfa/Bactrim allergic reaction looks like, google "sulfa rash" and click on "images". YIKES! At least these type of reactions typically resolve without lasting damage, but still a risk I'd like to avoid if possible. These don't always happen to "other people".

Allergic reactions to fosfomycin are next to nil, as are "persistent and sometimes disabling side effects" associated with quinolones. The success rate for SMZ-TMP for chronic bacterial prostatitis is 33-50%; 47 to 53% for fosfo. Similar effectiveness with far less risk would seem to make fosfo as an initial therapy a no-brainer.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:34 am

Hi metanoia, the reason why i try to take fosfomycin

is because initially i have taken levofloxacin (fluoroquinolone) for 8 days and i have tinnitus, muscle and joint pain in the arm, leg, my back, etc etc

so last night i took my first dose of fosfomycin, as the drug instruction suggest to take it on an empty stomach, before bed, and after emptying the bladder

i don't know it i notice an improvement or not, maybe i feel slight improvement, we'll see

i want to know what is your ejaculation behaviour for the treatment, should i ejaculate when i wake up in the morning???

and how many doses you took until you are free from symptoms???

i want to take the same dosage as the greek doctor study suggest, so the infection would clear up

please share your thought, thanksss

Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:52 pm

Hi CHIP, & sorry the levofloxacin wasn't more effective for you and you wound up getting little more than side effects.

My first symptom was caramel colored semen, which seemed to burn my plumbing for several hours after sexual activity. This made me think I might be spreading infection. Once I got started on antibiotics, I came to believe "flushing the pipes" might be a good thing.

Semen is made up of about 30% prostatic fluid, so when on antibiotics it makes sense pumping fluid out of the prostate through sexual activity might result in better uptake of antibiotics into the prostate as the lost prostatic fluid is replenished. I tried researching this, but never found any author who published an opinion on this. Even if this isn't helpful, I don't think it would spread infection, as anti-B's should easily kill any bacteria outside the prostate. It's the bugs inside the prostate that are hard to reach.

I didn't notice particularly rapid results when I first started on fosfo, which initially caused me some concern. My testicle was still double normal size and hard as a rock after a week on fosfo. During week 2, everything calmed down and my testicle became normal size and firmness again.

I really believe it's important to maintain therapy with fosfo for at least a month, as apparently it takes time for the entire prostate gland to become saturated with the medicine. I would have liked to go the full 6 weeks described in the study, but my uro was reticent to prescribe aggressive dosing. I dosed daily for 5 days and then every 48 hours for another 4 weeks. A total of 20 doses in around 35 days.

Looking back, I wonder whether the aggressive dosing the first week is really necessary. It didn't produce a particularly rapid response, and as 48 hour dosing seems to work by fully saturating the prostate over a month to six weeks time, simple 48 hour dosing for the full therapy might be as effective. If I had a limited supply, I tend to think I'd rather dose at 48 hours for a longer period, than to sacrifice length of therapy for aggressive dosing early on.

Best of Luck, & hope to hear some good news from you soon!

Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:34 am

I should add... If you've got the resources, I would definitely go with the dosing one of the two protocols used in the studies I linked to in my posts. In the Greek study (Fosfomycin An Option for Prostatitis) Dr Karaiskos was daily dosing for 7 days, continuing with an additional 5 weeks of 48 hour dosing. The other: Fosfomycin an Old Drug With New Tricks for Prostatitis (from Medscape), Dr Grayson opined daily dosing for the entire 6 weeks might be more appropriate.

Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:53 am

as i remember maybe i have one place in testicle where it hurts

but i am not sure, because often when i checked the are of the pain, it usually at the area between the perineum and the testicle (perhaps the border between the testicle and the perineum) and also at the pelvic near the testicle

i don't really know the pain is in the testicle or i just assume it's in the testicle because the area is near the testicle

just now i tried to put a little pressure on the testicle, idk if this is normal pain or because of the infection, but sometimes the pain travel to pelvic

but my testicle looks really NORMAL, no swelling, no red testicle, different from yours, as you stated that your testicle is doubling its size

sometimes i think too much about this, whether the antibiotics will work for the prostate, whether the testicle will improve etc

maybe if i took levofloxacin for 6 weeks i will have beaten this infection, but i only took it for 8 days and i got tinnitus plus another horific side effect, i actually know many people from fluoroquinolone Toxicity Group that are disable because they took Fluoroquinolone

you know these past few months were so frustating, i am only 23 years old, still single and this is hard to treat, i always think what if this didn't work and i have to live with this my whole life, will it affect my sexual ability, will it progressing to a sepsis or bacteremia, will i ever get married with this etc....

so the drug will saturating the prostate? i thought it will kill the bacteria only 4 hours after each dosage...

thank you for helping me metanoia, perhaps i will try the daily dosing for 6 weeks, i will see the condition first, right now i am worying about the testicle thing....
i really appreciate your sharing....

Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:54 am

Hi Chip, hope you'r feeling better.

I too am doing fosfo treatment, im on the 9th day today. Started the first 7 days 1 dose of 3g and now 3g every 48h for 6 weeks total treatment plan. Already have all the meds etc.

My main symptoms are mostly urinary: hesitation, low stream and frequency. I had an some pain in my testes and groin from time to time. I started with I believe an acute prostatitis which was not cured correctly, tried cipro, doxy, levo etc etc. The abx that cleared the burning urination and penis tip burning was doxy, but only took 10 days which was not enough to clear everything (back then I didnt had all the information I have today).

So, on my 3rd urologist I demanded a sperm culture and did find ecoli in my semen, resistant to cipro, bactrim etc etc. Only sensible to amox clav, fosfo and nitrofuratoin. Doc prescribed me amox clav even tho the bacteria was resistant to amox. Anyways the treatment didnt work and afterwards I started to investigate about fosfo, came across some studies that worked and found this forum, which lead me to Metanoia. He was very helpfull btw :)

So after 9 days of treatment, the pain in the groin and testes are gone and I think my urinary symptoms are getting better. I eat a lot of diurectic fruit and drink tons of water, and the frequency went down and the stream is getting stronger (finally can reach the upper part of the toilet). Thing about prostatitis is that sometimes your head gets in the way and you get excited for not having the urge to go urinate for 5 hours and you feel great but afterwards you go after 30m. What I've learn is that you have to manage expectations. Anyways, the only weird thing that happened to me is that yesterday I woke fine, and out of nowhere I started to feel fever, general malaise, pain in the lower back, pelvis area, ammonia smell and dark urine in sum feeling like ..... Of course I worried a lot. After some thought and investigation I atribute this to herx reaction, I believe that were a huge kill off of bacteria and and gram - release endotoxins (thanks Metanoia for this information) and my body was reacting to this "purging" and cleaning. I know some people will think that's all in my head, but back when I was taking doxy I had the same exact reaction but I thought it was the infection symtoms, to bad I only took it for 10 days.

Today im feeling better, not 100%, but much better and trying to think positive that this treatment will work; sometimes I try to visualize in my head the biofilms of goo being obliterated! haha

I do recommend ejaculate regularly, for me it makes me feel better and relaxed. Having sex regularly with my girl (doctors orders! ;)

Hang in there and keep us posted as I will too.

Gonçalo

Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:29 pm

@gdadealmeida

wow, thanks for the information sir,

i just woke up from my second dose, i still have perineum pain, i will continue this, i really hope i am improving,

what is the first time you feel better? i mean after how much dose??

my main symptoms in pain in the perineum (or testicle) i do have a pseudomonas in my semen and later e coli (this don't appear in my 1st culture)

this is strange, because i am the same as Metanoia, i don't have the urge to urinating, i admit rarely i have pain after urinating

and i also rarely have to wake up like 5-6 times at night to urinate

but again the main symptoms is pain in the perineum

we are the same, doctor are pretty much clueless, one doc give me IV Ceftazidime for 5 days and i don't see improvement

you know that not much abx could penetrate prostate well and 5 days won't be enough for prostatitis

anyway thanks for your sharing, you guys are so helpful.... at least i still have hope i think hehe

Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:33 pm

Thanks Guys, & yes CHIP fosfomycin does penetrate the prostate. I posted on this here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1868

"It appears concentration in prostate tissue has been measured at 4 ug/g (micrograms per gram of tissue), but not clear what doses were used to get this concentration." This may not mean much to us, but every bug has an MIC or "minimum inhibitory concentration" level which is required to kill the bug. Different bugs have different MIC's, and these have all been documented in obscure literature somewhere. What matters to us is, fosfomycin appears to be working for bacterial prostatitis in trials done in Greece and Australia against patients with resistant organisms where other therapies have failed. Urologist's still go to their tried and true sulfa and quinolone meds first, but these have been failing more and more often as resistance to these meds has occurred.

It is true, fosfomycin is rapidly cleared from the bloodstream by the kidneys (4 hours?), but the resulting concentrated fosfomycin in urine is rapidly and effectively taken up by urinary tissues and actual "tissue concentrations" (which is what counts) remain relatively stable through the gaps between doses.

Are you taking your fosfomycin at night before bed CHIP? This should result in better uptake into prostate tissues as urine remains longer in the bladder at night when you are not drinking as much fluid and are urinating less frequently.

Resistance to fosfomycin has also been documented to develop swiftly, at least in test tube studies with E-Coli, and this is why fosfo hasn't been used for extended therapies for problems like prostatitis in the past. The fact that it appears to be working for prostatitis can only be explained by the possibility the fosfo is killing its prey before resistance can occur, but it simply takes time for it to penetrate the entire prostate gland and biofilms that may have developed.

Keep the faith, and I dearly hope you both will find the miracle cure this drug provided me. If we can get just a couple more good reports on this med in this global forum, this could take off like wildfire. One can only hope!

Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:56 am

Hi Chip,

Well to endure some of the pain I was taking brufen before starting fosfo treatment, stop taking as soon as I did start it. The pain disapeared 3/4 days after and now I can sit for good amount of time and without pain killers (my work chair is very confortable I may had, which helps). I am also taking saw palmetto and garlic pills, im not sure if these 2 helps, the first one was indicated by the doc and the garlic pills i've read it helps with biofilms, infections and inflammation.

Cheers

Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:23 am

gdadealmeida wrote:
Hi Chip,

Well to endure some of the pain I was taking brufen before starting fosfo treatment, stop taking as soon as I did start it. The pain disapeared 3/4 days after and now I can sit for good amount of time and without pain killers (my work chair is very confortable I may had, which helps). I am also taking saw palmetto and garlic pills, im not sure if these 2 helps, the first one was indicated by the doc and the garlic pills i've read it helps with biofilms, infections and inflammation.

Cheers

Gdadealeida, which garlic pills? Thanks.

Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:17 am

Can you drink beer / wine with fosfo?

Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:33 pm

Moderate drinking with fosfo shouldn't be a problem, though you probably want to avoid major binges. I'm a daily drinker myself, and typically put away 4 light beers after dinner. I continued to do this throughout my therapy.

It would be ESSENTIAL to take your fosfo AFTER you finish your evening tipple though, as fosfo is absorbed to prostate tissue from urine and alcohol flushes a lot of fluid through your system which would greatly dilute the medication if you drank within 12 hours or so after taking it.

The kidneys filter a dose of fosfo completely out of your blood in 6-8 hours or so, but urine concentrations of the med (during this time) are sufficiently absorbed into tissues to bridge the gap between doses. After 12 hours, blood levels (and urinary levels) of fosfo are zilch, and high fluid throughput during this time should not affect therapeutic effectiveness.

I had my little beer-fest after dinner, and dosed my fosfo just before bed. I had no interactions and it didn't effect my treatment... I had a complete and lasting resolution of my infection.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:00 am

jaumeb wrote:
gdadealmeida wrote:
Hi Chip,

Cheers

Gdadealeida, which garlic pills? Thanks.

Now brand soft gel pills. But to be honest after reading I think it doesnt do much, just waiting to empty the bottle and afterwards going to test raw garlic.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next