Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Is this really prostatitis? 

Post Is this really prostatitis?
Newbie here looking for some advice.

44 year old male, my troubles started at the start of December when I had a venison stew. The following days I had excessive bloating, flatulence and the other, before things settled down. Then a week before Christmas I started to get little pains in my bladder area, just above my pubic area. This continued well into the new year, the more I ate the more noticeable it was, and vice versa. Then a couple of weeks ago I was doing some garden clearing, lots of bending over and lifting involved. That night my stomach swelled up and I was incredibly bloated again. My abdomen was painful all over to the touch. I only had temporary relief when passing stools. I saw my doc who did an abdominal exam and urine sample (which was clear) and diagnosed me as having prostatitis. I was given Cipro for 5 days but couldn’t handle the side effects and stopped after the third day which was last Sunday. However, things had improved a lot in that time so asked to be given a different antibiotic to fully clear things up. Since Saturday I have been on Trimethoprim but in the time between antibiotics I’ve developed a few other symptoms – urinating more, random shooting pains down my urethra and discomfort in the prostate/pelvic area, along with the bladder pain. Not disabling but worrying. I do not have burning or any discharge and sexually all is fine.

I pee more when I’m bloated, so sometimes it feels like my guts are pressing on my bladder, or vice-versa. I thought I had diverticulitis at first as I have diverticulosis. Also have gastritis and hiatal hernia and have been bloated for the more than five years – but never painfully so in my current situation.

I am not 100% sure of my diagnosis, to me it feels more like a bladder infection. Both my dad and granddad had prostrate cancer so that is always at the back of mind In the meantime I will see if the Trimethoprim kicks in and I start to improve again. If not, I’ll ask for a PSA test and rectal exam to get a bit more clarity. Thanks for listening.

Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:36 pm

Post Re: Is this really prostatitis?
Cpps seems to be connected to digestive problems.

Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:50 pm

Best thing for you to do is to go to a Urologist and have a complete uro exam to confirm that it's really prostatitis.

Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:49 am

Things have eased up somewhat since the weekend, still some discomfort in the pelvis area, but it seems to be triggered by my jeans pressing on my bladder (I loosen up whenever possible). Seeing my GP tomorrow and see what she suggests.

Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:28 pm

Saw my GP today. Had a prostate exam - no pain, all was fine, apart from some slight something (I forget what term, stupidly) that could be due to prostatitis. Urine was clear but will be sent off for culture. Strangely I had very bad stomach cramps after the exam. Now on a 28 day course of Trimethoprim, will report back with conclusions.

Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]