Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Fare Thee Well... Looks Like the Fosfomycin Worked! 

Post Fare Thee Well... Looks Like the Fosfomycin Worked!
Well I'm 8 weeks out after finishing my month of Fosfomycin, and all is still quiet on the Western Front.

I have nothing but good things to say about my experience with it. No side effects to speak of, and it seems to have worked where 2 runs of Doxycycline failed. My uro wanted to go straight to sulfa, but I'm rather fond of beer (sulfa is zero alcohol) and the allergic reputation for sulfa spooked me a bit. Quinolones have their own horror stories, and I wanted to avoid these too if possible.

What I found intriguing about fosfo was:

First (and foremost), the low incidence of allergic reactions (sulfa is notorious for) and persistent side effects (reported with quinolones). No interaction with alcohol... You can wash it down with gin if you wish.

Second; Fosfomycin is effective against many resistant organisms which often sabotage attempts at treatment with sulfa and quin's. As accurate cultures with sensitivity are difficult to get with prostatitis, this work-around is a real game changer. I cultured out beta-lactam resistant heamophilus, but the growth was too small to get a proper sensitivity.

There is also no cross resistance between fosfo & sulfa or quin's, so there's no harm in trying it. If it fails, it will not increase resistance of organisms to other anti-B's.

My uro didn't give me an adequate prescription for fosfo... I think he was trying to humor me before shifting me onto "his" preferred meds, but I managed to obtain extra doses from a foreign pharmacy once I had a legitimate scrip for it.

I wound up dosing at 3 grams (the standard dose), once a day for 5 days, then once every 48 hours for another 3 weeks. Different doc's have different protocols for dosing for prostatitis, but this was the best I could manage given my supply issues.

Price/Cost may be the only downside to fosfo... The drug is marketed as a single dose "one & done" treatment for female UTI's, so the manufacturer must get it's full profit from a single dose. When taking multiple doses for prostatitis, this means you're paying more. My co-pay getting fosfo through my doc was $10/dose, and the fosfo I got from the Mexican pharmacy cost $25/dose. All totaled, I payed around $325 for my month's treatment. A small price to pay for something that appears to have worked!

A web search for: Fosfomycin & Prostatitis should come up with two good articles on treating prostatits with fosfo...

Fosfomycin An Option for Prostatitis (from renal & urology news), and

Fosfomycin an Old Drug With New Tricks for Prostatitis

Print both of these out and take them to your urologist. Tell him you're willing to treat with his sulfa and quinolones, but you'd like to "TRY" fosfomycin first. There really is no downside to this, other than the possible cost of fosfo for a month's treatment.

Tis my humble opinion fosfomycin has as much of a chance of working as sulfa or quins, & you're much less likely to experience a nasty allergic reaction or persistent side effect. When you combine this with the fact there is little resistance to fosfo from the most likely suspects/bugs, I would think this would be a Eureka moment for patients and doctors alike.

I suffered 3 bouts of recurring (prostate related) epididymitis for 5 months last year, & I'm still shocked it appears this is all in my past now. We need more people to try this protocol and document their experiences on forums like this one if we're going to start making progress on effective treatment.

Best of Luck to you all.

Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:46 am

Post Re: Fare Thee Well... Looks Like the Fosfomycin Worked!
It didn't worked for me.

Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:00 am

congrats ... didn't work for me unfortunately but glad you found a solution.

Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:37 am

What dosing/protocols were you using Chav, WS?

Do you still have positive cultures? Or ongoing symptoms with clean cultures?

Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:05 pm

I have done a lot of cultures and I don't think they know what they are looking for. They don't know what bacterias are normal in the prostate, which ones are pathogens...

The last culture I did was negative but I had also negative cultures in the past. I got tired because I think they are missing the cause.

I talk about my case in details here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1292

No one antibiotic have helped me. I think that those bacterias they found sometimes are not the culprits of my symptoms. I'm sick of the urologists because in years of culture after culture they can't explain me anything. Currently I'm looking for answers by myself and resting from doctors.

Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:54 pm

never positive for anything.

can't remember exact dosage but it was a packet of the powder per/day I believe (chance it was 2 packs but i really can't remember.). I took this for probably 8 weeks with no improvements.

Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:26 pm

I am looking to try Fosfomycin if I can get my UK Urologist to agree to a subscription, but it always seem difficult to make them listen when bringing in articles from the net.

I would be interested to know for the guys who said it didnt work, did you have a confirmed E Coli based infection? As I believe it only works best for E Coli based prostatitis. Which is what I have and looking to pursue next. I am currently half way through a Cipro 750mg twice daily 6 week course, which my Uro will refuse to look at anything else until I have done this as my culture is sensitive to it, but its having little to know effect.

Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:01 am

CerveloUK wrote:
I am looking to try Fosfomycin if I can get my UK Urologist to agree to a subscription, but it always seem difficult to make them listen when bringing in articles from the net.

I would be interested to know for the guys who said it didnt work, did you have a confirmed E Coli based infection? As I believe it only works best for E Coli based prostatitis. Which is what I have and looking to pursue next. I am currently half way through a Cipro 750mg twice daily 6 week course, which my Uro will refuse to look at anything else until I have done this as my culture is sensitive to it, but its having little to know effect.

Since you are living in an EU country. (UK right?) You just buy the Fosfomycin from an online pharmacy. If you don't have an prescription, some online pharmacies within EU can help you a prescription. Its usually about 10 Euro extra. The online pharmacy will send the meds with the prescription. Since its within EU and you have an prescription, the customs can't stop the package. This is the wonders of EU and its the same law in all countries. But hurry before Nigel Farage and Boris Johnson will stop the free trade between UK and the rest of the EU :)

But just one question, have you done a proper semen lab test with a sensitive test and catched any bacteria at all sensitive to Fosfomycin? Otherwise it makes no scene trying Fosfomycin.

3 grams of Fosfomycin was $19.60 when i checked a legit online pharmacy.

Looks like 3 grams of Fosfomycin is the dose that should be taken daily. http://prostatitis.org/redirect.php?lin ... cid.civ436

Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:51 pm

You will be back:)

Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:12 pm

dailysuffering wrote:
You will be back:)

Yes indeed he will be back.....
Back to tell us that he's still pain free :)

Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:17 pm

I sure hope so! and i hope it never changes

Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:46 pm

I was afraid I might be jumping the gun a bit myself at 8 weeks, but my life has become so normal this whole ordeal is rapidly fading into my past. The longest I went between relapses with the Doxy was 5 weeks (after stopping the med). I took the fosfo from 10/8 to 11/8.

I wanted to document how pleased I was with the fosfo, not only because it seemed to work, but because of how benign a med it was. Sulfa and Cipro scared the heck out of me, and even the doxy upset my tum a bit. I'd be happy to take the fosfo for the rest of my life it that's what it took to remain symptom free. Not a realistic/doable thing, I know, but it really is that benign.

Even the dosing is easy... Once a day for a few days, then every other day means I don't have to carry pills around with me and try to take it with meals to avoid feeling sick. Empty stomach, just before bed. No discomfort, nausea or indigestion. You can wash it down with an alcoholic nightcap if you like. No interactions, cross resistance or side effects (for me).

I'll try to remember to provide a longer followup, and PO is still in my favorites. I will confess all if I do relapse, but even if I do, Fosfomycin / Monurol therapy will still be my go-to, no-brainer med, unless and until it stops working.

Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:07 am

I wanted to add (for anyone trying fosfo), that according to what I've learned about the med, it is absorbed into urinary tissues directly from the urine itself, and not so much from the blood supply. Fosfo is filtered out to urine swiftly by the kidneys. This is why it doesn't work for pneumonia or other infections outside the urinary tract (although there have been trials with massive doses of intravenous fosfo for resistant infections elsewhere). Interestingly, even at the extremely high IV doses of a dozen or more grams/day, there were few side effects!

The directions state you can take fosfo any time of day, with or without food, but if you dig deep in the monograph (which I don't have handy), it states highest blood & urine concentrations occur when taken on an empty stomach. I rationalized a step further, that taking it at night, right before bed might also mean urinary tissues would be exposed/bathed in fosfomycin rich urine for a longer period of time than if I took it during the day when I was drinking more fluids and urinating more frequently.

Don't know exactly how scientific or significant "my" rationalizations and protocol were, but this is how I took this med to achieve maximum tissue concentrations anyway. This may have been how my (mostly) 48 hour dosing for only 30 days seemed to work for me. Whether you are dosing daily or every other day, it couldn't hurt to utilize this protocol. Again, I experienced NO gastric or other side effects taking it on an empty stomach right before bed, and truly believe this may have boosted tissue concentrations in my prostate.

Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:38 am

Thank you for the input Dandy, I will look into the UK/EU shipping, I am in the UK and would have to get a prescription from a doctor to get the Fosfomycin in the UK. I will see how that goes, I will also have a culture test done first.

Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:00 am

Post Administrator
@CerveloUK

I found a legit pharmacy with quite ok pricing for Fosfomycin. One package with 3g is about 70 to 90 Cents each. (€ currency). They send from a pharmacies within EU and you can get an prespriction for about 10€ aswell. Send me an PM and i will send you the link. Or ill post the name here depending on Admins response.

@Administrator

Are you allowed to post links or names of online pharmacies?

ADMIN NOTE: Most links are fine. I can't approve a link to sites that do certain types of advertising.

Last edited by Administrator on Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prostate2010

Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:21 pm

Womdering if you are still curred? No updates???

Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]