Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Would appreciate your thoughts... 

Post Would appreciate your thoughts...
In January 2013, I began having pain in my lower back and a dull, heavy feeling in my groin. I attributed it to a kidney stone, which I've had before. Went to a urologist, and he said nothing was amiss. Around the same time, I noticed that after a bowel movement, I would feel like I had a "wedgie"--but when I went to "adjust" myself, there was no wedgie--just the feeling of one.

In June 2014, I began experiencing urinary frequency, perineal pain, etc. Also pain in my right hip. Went back to the urologist and upon hearing symptoms diagnosed with me prostatitis. Gave me cipro and symptoms basically went away.

Once school started back (I am a teacher), the symptoms returned--both not so much on the urinary side. Mainly the "golf-ball" feeling and a sense of discomfort after a bowel movement. I wouldn't exactly call it pain, just a sense of unease (if that makes sense)--almost an "anxious" feeling in my rectum. Hard to explain.

At any rate, I know there are others with much worse symptoms than me. Mine are bearable, and i live with it for the most part everyday.

I guess what I was wondering was this: does this range of symptoms square with what others have experienced? Especially the discomfort/weird feeling after bowel movements. It almost seems that my prostatitis causes more bowel-type symptoms than urinary problems.

I would sincerely appreciate any comments, thoughts, etc. that you can offer. Thank you.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:49 pm

Post Re: Would appreciate your thoughts...
Some of us believe it could be connected to digestive problems.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:10 pm

It's interesting that you mention that. My first flare up came a few months after being diagnosed with reflux.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:31 pm

Hello and welcome, Calhoun78.

How is your libido? Do you have problems with the sexual arousal? Any difficulties with erections? Do you suffer from weak or burning orgasms/ejaculations? Is your glans dry and cracked?

Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:33 pm

No, no sexual problems now. Like I said, my prostatitis has kind of evolved over time. First episode was classic--groin pain, urinary urge, frequency, etc. I went through a period where I felt kind of "dead" in my groin area, just a numb/lack of sensation feeling. But that passed. Now it's mainly the golfball feeling and the weird feelings after bowel movements. Kind of like a stinging/burning sensation. Also hip pain, tightness in joints.

I take Prostate PQ, garlic, quercetin, and other herbal type remedies. Pain is not unbearable, just annoying.

I have never done prostate massage but am wondering if, given the rectal feelings, this might be the thing to do. Wondering if it's a trigger point that's bothering me.

Suggestions/thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:47 pm

If your having hip pain and joint pain as well as what could be muscular problems in your pelvic floor I would suggest ruling out magnesium, b12 and vitamin deficiencies. I don't know if you get a lot of sun exposure without sun screen or if your symptoms are worse or started in winter months but there easy tests.

Its a guess but sometimes I think deficiency can cause muscle weakness that overtime causes pelvic pain and takes time to heal once its been treated and I don't think its common but in some cases its a factor.

A lot of times digestive issues occur due to deficiencies above as they help maintain the digestive and muscular skeletal system. In the case of bacterial over growth there are drugs available but its always bsnificial to treat the deficiency as well so you can maintain a healthy system.

I'm saying this as you ruled out infections.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:00 pm

calhoun78 wrote:
No, no sexual problems now. Like I said, my prostatitis has kind of evolved over time. First episode was classic--groin pain, urinary urge, frequency, etc. I went through a period where I felt kind of "dead" in my groin area, just a numb/lack of sensation feeling. But that passed. Now it's mainly the golfball feeling and the weird feelings after bowel movements. Kind of like a stinging/burning sensation. Also hip pain, tightness in joints.

I take Prostate PQ, garlic, quercetin, and other herbal type remedies. Pain is not unbearable, just annoying.

I have never done prostate massage but am wondering if, given the rectal feelings, this might be the thing to do. Wondering if it's a trigger point that's bothering me.

Suggestions/thoughts are greatly appreciated.

How long have you been taking those supps?

Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:12 am

A year or more--long enough to see more benefit than I have :D

Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:55 am

calhoun78 wrote:
In January 2013, I began having pain in my lower back and a dull, heavy feeling in my groin. I attributed it to a kidney stone, which I've had before. Went to a urologist, and he said nothing was amiss. Around the same time, I noticed that after a bowel movement, I would feel like I had a "wedgie"--but when I went to "adjust" myself, there was no wedgie--just the feeling of one.

In June 2014, I began experiencing urinary frequency, perineal pain, etc. Also pain in my right hip. Went back to the urologist and upon hearing symptoms diagnosed with me prostatitis. Gave me cipro and symptoms basically went away.

Once school started back (I am a teacher), the symptoms returned--both not so much on the urinary side. Mainly the "golf-ball" feeling and a sense of discomfort after a bowel movement. I wouldn't exactly call it pain, just a sense of unease (if that makes sense)--almost an "anxious" feeling in my rectum. Hard to explain.

At any rate, I know there are others with much worse symptoms than me. Mine are bearable, and i live with it for the most part everyday.

I guess what I was wondering was this: does this range of symptoms square with what others have experienced? Especially the discomfort/weird feeling after bowel movements. It almost seems that my prostatitis causes more bowel-type symptoms than urinary problems.

I would sincerely appreciate any comments, thoughts, etc. that you can offer. Thank you.

I have pretty similar symptoms. It's mainly uncomfortable, don't get strong pain anymore, no one deserves to suffer that pain, it's terrible. Now it ranges from barely noticeable to pretty annoying after a bowel movement. I had one last night and slept badly and it seems to have messed it up a bit, but still mostly ok. I actually think healthy diet and exercise and some stress reduction is the best way to deal with mild prostatitis like this. A lot of these cases probably have a muscle or autoimmune component and these tend to relax with time given the right lifestyle. I don't rate supplements or herbal medicines for prostatitis personally, but quercetin/prostaq apparently can work for people there is a paper on that. There seem to be many of these stories online and indeed this website of people taking some random thing, like nettle tea, and magically recovering, I think most of it is rubbish. This is why people do scientific studies because these random stories just ain't the best way of doing it.

Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:16 am

Your symptoms are familiar and your not alone. I'm not one to push pills. I feel alot are snake oil making money off of people who are disparately looking for anything that helps. Might be pelvic floor related perhaps a MRI can reveal something

Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:30 pm

Truly appreciate all of your responses. Like I told my urologist, I definitely believe there is a stress/anxiety component. During the summer months I feel pretty good, then when school starts back, not two weeks later the golfball feeling returns. I am especially annoyed by the "anxious" feeling in the rectum after a bowel movement, but even with it there are "better" days and "bad" days. It's like this condition has a mind of its own--comes and goes as it pleases and morphs into various symptoms.

Looking back, the first tell-tale signs for me go back to late 2012--when I'd lie in bed at night I could feel this fluttering sensation in my groin. Didn't know what to make of it but it was maddening. I still have it from time to time, especially when lying down. Around the same time I had a bout or two of proctalgia fugax, also at night, and mercifully brief.

It's been a relief (in an odd way) just knowing that others can empathize with this condition. I hesitate to tell anyone about it who doesn't have it, lest they think you're crazy. Which is probably right.

Thank you, again, for the replies thus far. Truly appreciate it.

Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:00 pm

calhoun78 wrote:
A year or more--long enough to see more benefit than I have :D

Thanks for the information. Are you taking bromelanin with the quercetin? Have you used allicin? I am trying to understand the effectivity of different supps.

Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:07 pm

Calhoun, do you sit a lot? Levator Ani Syndrome has a tendency to run hand in hand with prostatitis. The interior rectal muscles can squeeze or push on the prostate. I heard it can be corrected with certain exercises though.

Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:02 pm

Yes, I sit entirely too much during the day. I'm a school teacher with lots of papers to grade. I'm making a conscious effort to stand more now and to exercise.

The last time my urologist wanted to prescribe antibiotics I told him I thought prostatitis (at least in some cases), was a muscle tension disorder. Or at least there's a component to it. I know when I'm stressed I feel it more. No doubt about it,

By the way, YouTube is a world of strange and crazy adventure when you search for "levator ani exercises."

Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:24 pm

I know this is an old post, but I have the exact same problem. I've had various symptoms over the last year...pain in tip of penis, pain in testicles, and urgency. Now it seems to be mostly rectal related...discomfort after bowel movements. I'm glad to see that other people have experienced same things. I feel like I have no one to talk with about this, so forum is good. Please let me know if you've found any help for prosatitis pain after bowel movements. I'm a teacher too, so I spend a lot of time sitting. Also have the stress of elementary school!

Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:04 pm

I posted the original comment...back in March. Things have gotten better since then. I definitely think there's a stress component involved. Exercise is good for that. I also believe there's a digestive component. I take Align capsules and that seems to help with that. Also take Q-urol. If I have a flare-up, a couple of drops of peppermint oil (like the Young Living oil) in a glass of water seems to help. I believe prostatitis often waxes and wanes. Thankfully. Hope this helps.

Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]