Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 recommendations for extra useful tests/treatments 

Post recommendations for extra useful tests/treatments
So i have been a prostatitis sufferer for past 3 years. During this time I had undergone 1 cystoscopy and an ultrasound of the epididymitis. In terms of antibiotics I had been prescribed week of cipro / 2 weeks of doxycycline / 3 weeks of septrin / 2 weeks of trimeptroin and then back on septrin for 10-12 months.
With the short term antibiotics I only got a slight amount of relief which then after finishing the course I got back to where I had started. However after being on septrin for 2 months my symptoms substantially decreased to the point where they would only come back for few days, if I lifted something heavy or if I sat down on ground. Unfortunately, I had to stop the antibiotics as they have given me allot of GI trouble. After this some pains game back but left after a month. Fast forward 6-8 months and I got back to where I had started after a sexual encounter. In terms of investigation for bacteria, I had few urines cultures along with one semen culture and one post prostate massage urine culture and all were negative as far as I know. All these cultures were taking in a short proximity to the time I had consumed some antibiotics, thus I always have been quite unsure about them.
Being desperate and not being covered by insurance, I decided to visit the health centres in Thailand. I had so far carried a pre/post prostate massage urine culture, PCR testing for chlamydia and gonneria and a MRI of my sacral region along with the prostate. Even though I had taken the urine cultures after more than a year of consuming antibiotics they came back negative. The MRI also looked good and no abscess was seen on the prostate. Doctors are telling me now that there is no infection in me at all and my lower back is fine and I have prostatodynia or chronic prostatitis. I am still unsure about this because my symptoms the last time around were eliminated by taking septrin for more than 2 months and my semen color has changed to yellow in the past few months.
I just want to know if there are any other important tests, that are worth carrying out while I am here ?

Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:47 am

Post Re: recommendations for extra useful tests/treatments
It does seem that the prudent thing would be to do a semen/EPS culture after being off abxs for a significant time (6-8weeks perhaps?). Make sure not to ejaculate for a few days before giving the sample. If you do this and still come back clean then it stands to reason that infection is either really minor or non-existent. If you're getting GI trouble you probably need to be very wary of intestinal infections and further abx treatment could be a risky proposition. Also if your MRI looked completely normal with no size or abscess issues then that seems to point toward non-infective source as well. However yellow semen is suspicious - maybe someone else can chime in as I don't have any experience with mal-colored semen.

Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:11 pm

The anti-inflammatory effect of antibiotics is often what makes people who have no signs of infection feel better. After 10 whole months of septrin you've killed anything that needs to be killed. 10 months is a crazy long time, I've never heard anyone get more than 3. Unless your semen is smelling foul or you're getting further infection symptoms like fever, etc the yellow is probably inflammatory products.

You haven't mentioned anything about doing pelvic physical therapy which would be the best thing for you at this point.

Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:07 am

prostate454 wrote:
It does seem that the prudent thing would be to do a semen/EPS culture after being off abxs for a significant time (6-8weeks perhaps?). Make sure not to ejaculate for a few days before giving the sample. If you do this and still come back clean then it stands to reason that infection is either really minor or non-existent. If you're getting GI trouble you probably need to be very wary of intestinal infections and further abx treatment could be a risky proposition. Also if your MRI looked completely normal with no size or abscess issues then that seems to point toward non-infective source as well. However yellow semen is suspicious - maybe someone else can chime in as I don't have any experience with mal-colored semen.

Did a semen test after 2-3 days of no ejaculations - came back negative
No one really is able to help with the yellow semen

Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:26 pm

I have read that semen color can naturally change as you age. Again though I don't have much experience with it since I've never bothered to do much research on the subject.

In any case, I'd say based on all your clean test results that I agree with your docs and you might want to start pursuing CP/CPPS instead of a bacterial source. I'd schedule some internal PT sessions if I were you and see where those take you.

Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:19 pm

I got a resistant strain of haemophilus from oral sex that almost didn't get caught with semen culture.

After a clean urine culture, I requested a semen culture and during a relapse the doc said the culture was read and was negative. A few days later he called back and said the culture had now grown a small amount of haemophilus that was too small to obtain an accurate sensitivity.

On researching haemophilus, I found it doesn't grow well on standard blood agar cultures and a special protocol was used for this bug... A chocolate agar plate with enhanced CO2 atmosphere. I was going to get this haemophilus protocol culture done, but was already on doxycycline. I actually relapsed while on the doxy with a flare in my epididymitis. I had taken doxy before and it worked well for 3 weeks or so after the first round, so I assume it had grown resistant to the doxy.

I had talked my doc into trying fosfomycin, and went straight to it the day after my flare in symptoms. A month on the fosfo & I was in full remission. I've been on pins & needles waiting for another relapse, but at 7 weeks post fosfo all is still good.

A paper I read on haemophilus prostatitis said it was considered quite rare, only occurring in a few HIV patients with compromised immune systems (I'm documented HIV negative). The paper went on to speculate that haemophilus related prostatitis might in fact be more common than documented, as haemophilus didn't show up well on standard cultures (my experience!).

Haemophilus is unique to oral transmission as it typically resides in the upper airway. It is most common in young children, but adults exposed to sick kids (my girlfriend!) may be carriers via the oral rout. It appears I got my haemophilus from my 2 year old grand daughter, who picked it up at daycare and passed it on to my girlfriend, who wasn't symptomatic.

Fosfomycin is supposed to be effective against haemophilus AND resistant organisms, and documented to penetrate the prostate tissue in tests with E Coli. Fosfo is also the most benign anti-B I've ever taken; very mild stool softening being my only side effect.

My research on culture protocols was most interesting... There are different protocols for aerobic, anaerobic, fungal, AND haemophilus; and may be other protocols for other bugs like Ureaplasma, mycoplasma, trichomoniasis, Enterococcus faecalis.

I'd want to exhaust all of these culture options if previous cultures and treatments had failed. You may have something that wasn't picked up that is resistant to the anti-B's you tried. If you ever get desperate enough to try anti-B's again, I'd head for fosfomycin before I'd try anything else. I would have been happy to have stayed on the fosfo for life if need be. It was that benign.

Best of Luck

Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:27 pm

salllja2 wrote:
prostate454 wrote:

Did a semen test after 2-3 days of no ejaculations - came back negative
No one really is able to help with the yellow semen

I have a very bright yellow semen too, this started when I had a very bad flare up 11 weeks ago. During the flare up no pathogen was ever found in my urine and prostatic fluid. After 7 weeks I had my ultrasound and showed prostate went back to normal probably due to Bactrim. I now have few mild symptoms that is manageable but semen continues to appear very bright yellow in color. I had my semen test done couple of days ago and waiting for the result in couple of weeks. Hopefully my uro will be able to determine the cause of the yellowish semen.

Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]