Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Getting a Semen Culture 

Post Getting a Semen Culture
Hey everyone!

Within the next month or so I'll be paying a visit to my Urologist and plan on asking for a Semen culture. My urine cultures have been clean so I'm crossing my fingers something treatable pops up under the semen culture. My prostatitis all started after having Chlamydia about 2 years ago so I am of the mindset that this is still something bacterial.

Is there anything that I need to bring up specifically for a semen analysis? I know I've seen people test positive for enterococcus, E Coli, Trach, beta-lactamaise positive haemophilus and I think I've seen someone say Fungi was in their culture too.

Are these things I need to ask for specifically in a culture or are they already generally covered by one?

I've seen @Metanoia's success story with Fosfomycin and am hoping it can be the same for me haha.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by York on Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:38 pm

Post Re: Getting a Semen Analysis
It's a semantics thing, but you need to get your criteria straight to avoid confusion with labs. You want a semen *culture*, not an analysis. An analysis would be checking for things like sperm count and pH, and is a bit more involved for the lab - it's time sensitive and many places don't do them. The semen culture is just that, a bacterial culture. Most any lab should be able to do one of these. They get confused easily as a semen culture is not a typical test order so they sometimes assume the doc is asking for an actual analysis and give you the runaround. Make sure your uro is clear that it's a bacterial culture on the test order and doesn't just write down "semen analysis" because that's sure to cause confusion and headache for you.

The lab will probably do a standard gram-stain and abx sensitivity should anything pop up. Your doctor can specify which abxs he/she wants the lab to check sensitivity for (assuming something grows), but in my experience they just go with a standard panel.

I did test positive for enterococcus last year and was treated for it but it didn't do anything for my symptoms even though I test clean now. You're generally supposed to be off abxs for a while before testing, and you should probably avoid ejaculating for 3-4 days prior. Even better if you want to give yourself a prostate massage prior to ejaculating, thought the jury is out on whether this is particularly effective.

Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:02 pm

Post Re: Getting a Semen Analysis
prostate454 wrote:
It's a semantics thing, but you need to get your criteria straight to avoid confusion with labs. You want a semen *culture*, not an analysis. An analysis would be checking for things like sperm count and pH, and is a bit more involved for the lab - it's time sensitive and many places don't do them. The semen culture is just that, a bacterial culture. Most any lab should be able to do one of these. They get confused easily as a semen culture is not a typical test order so they sometimes assume the doc is asking for an actual analysis and give you the runaround. Make sure your uro is clear that it's a bacterial culture on the test order and doesn't just write down "semen analysis" because that's sure to cause confusion and headache for you.

The lab will probably do a standard gram-stain and abx sensitivity should anything pop up. Your doctor can specify which abxs he/she wants the lab to check sensitivity for (assuming something grows), but in my experience they just go with a standard panel.

I did test positive for enterococcus last year and was treated for it but it didn't do anything for my symptoms even though I test clean now. You're generally supposed to be off abxs for a while before testing, and you should probably avoid ejaculating for 3-4 days prior. Even better if you want to give yourself a prostate massage prior to ejaculating, thought the jury is out on whether this is particularly effective.

I went ahead and updated the title and content of the post to avoid any potential confusion. Thank you for pointing that out and for helping me with the process.

Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]