Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 24 years old and at wits end with chronic prostatitis 

Post 24 years old and at wits end with chronic prostatitis
As stated in the title, I am 24 years old and have been battling this illness since January 30th of this year, 2016, when I was 23.

I have been to numerous urologists and doctors, without luck or reprieve. Despite the fact that I was never tested for bacteria in my seminal fluid, I have been on courses of ciprofloxacin, erythromycin, doxycycline, nitrofurantoin and trimethroprim. The cipro was the only antibiotic that proved to be effective - after using it, I was free from prostatitis for two months. However I was only able to use cipro for a mere week, since I had an adverse reaction too it in the form of tendon damage. All the rest were completely ineffective, as were the two alpha-blockers I was put on.

The last urologist I visited (earlier this week) has finally agreed to conduct an expressed prostatic secretion test upon my request and also examine my urethra (his suggestion) but he has also told me that he is doubtful that any bacteria will show.

Most depressingly of all, he bluntly told me: "You will have this for the rest of your life and must learn to manage it, so that it can recede into the background of your life" :(

'the rest of your life'. Prior to hearing those words, I had been trying to get into a more positive state of mind. For the first time in months, I had a good two weeks not that long ago in which my symptoms had seemed to ease considerably and I no longer felt pain during and following ejaculation. And then I developed intense constipation and after pressing during defecation, my symptoms returned with vengeance. The burning sensation in my urethra, the stinging pain during urination, the pain and tightness around my perineum during ejaculation, the sharp shooting pain in my rectum.

I honestly feel like I am living through a life sentence at the moment. The thought that I will have this for eternity, if I am to take that urologist's words literally, is just too much for me to bear. On rare good days/weeks, I find it tolerable. On bad days, like today and yesterday, I am at my wits end.

I have a training contract with a top-tier law firm in the UK and exams to sit for a conversion course to take it up. Due to prostatitis, I had too postpone those exams and have lost confidence in myself, the pain causing me serious distraction and sapping my work ethic. I also had a scholarship for a masters degree at a high-ranking university, which I had planned to study before starting my legal career. I had to decline it because at the time I didn't even know what my condition was and had yet to see a urologist.

Thus, prostatitis has proved massively disruptive to my life in so many ways - I will not even discuss the ramifications for my sex life :roll:

Apologies for the rant folks. I am sure that I will get back to a more positive frame of mind when my symptoms calm down again (if they calm down!) but I am just really grieved by that statement from the urologist.

I'm finding it tough.

Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:29 pm

Post Re: 24 years old and at wits end with chronic prostatitis
Any theories on the cause in your case?

Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:03 am

WS1234 wrote:
Any theories on the cause in your case?

Sadly not, I'm afraid.

I do recall that it began following a bad viral infection that essentially floored me for two weeks back in January 2016 and a concurrent period of constipation.

For some reason, serious flare-ups for me - particularly the burning, stinging pain in my urethra - sometimes recur in tandem with a bout of constipation.

The pressing out of hard stools seems to have a negative effect on my pelvic floor, followed by the symptoms.

Otherwise, I am at an almost complete loss as to how this illness arose.

Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:58 am

You won't have it for the rest of your life, believe that, it is a very important part of the healing process. Tell yourself you're getting better every day, repeat that in your mind, especially when you feel pain.

It will fade over time, it does get better once you begin to identify triggers, and find things along the way which help. Read these forums, you will find a lot of information on what works and what doesn't. Some of us have had success with Quercitin, NAC, probiotics, antifungals, and a clean diet that cuts down on sugars and carbs. Others have had luck with antibiotics. Don't get discouraged, fight! :D

Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:56 pm

Any visual/external symptoms (redness at tip for example?).

Regarding your doctors comments, he is correct in that this a poorly understood condition that is difficult to treat with very unpredictable outcomes. This board and others like it are full of people suffering looking for answers, so the sample of individuals represented here don't include people who actually recover. There are success stories out there, they just don't have a reason to constantly be on these forums (or continue to visit their Drs) so there is SOME hope. Take some solace in the fact that doctors don't seem to know either way, so hopefully you are able to find a solutions as some people do seem to recover with time. Best advice I can give you is keep an open-mind on potential causes (it could be bacterial, it could be nerve related, it could be a physical manifestation of stress - my point is no one seems to know for sure, so no point in obsessing over a specific theory). Keep your visits to the forums 'weekly' instead of daily - its very easy to become obsessed, and constantly looking for answers only feeds the stress and the pain cycle - there is no magic fix (yet). Its good to have someone from the UK represented here. It sounds like you have the means and the geographical access to experts in Europe who may have a different perspective, different testing methods and different treatment modalities.

Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:02 pm

Julian shah does the prostate massage in london, he seems to be some kind of expert.

Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:53 pm

Thank you for the reply WS1234!

WS1234 wrote:
Any visual/external symptoms (redness at tip for example?).

As a matter of fact, yes - I actually do have a red, inflamed-looking urethral meatus (penis tip). This has been the only visible sign of the illness that I have had from the start. Indeed, prior to seeing a urologist for the first time back in June, my local GP thought that I might be suffering from a fungal infection after inspecting it and so gave me a prescription for Daktarin cream, to apply to the tip. It did nothing to take away the redness, which appears to remain there 24/7.

Other than that, the only other thing that has given me pause is a slight discoloration in parts of my semen emissions - a sort of greenish tinge which stands out from the rest of the milky whitish colour. I don't know if this is connected or not.

Quote:
Regarding your doctors comments, he is correct in that this a poorly understood condition that is difficult to treat with very unpredictable outcomes. This board and others like it are full of people suffering looking for answers, so the sample of individuals represented here don't include people who actually recover. There are success stories out there, they just don't have a reason to constantly be on these forums (or continue to visit their Drs) so there is SOME hope. Take some solace in the fact that doctors don't seem to know either way, so hopefully you are able to find a solutions as some people do seem to recover with time.

Thanks mate, all very good points.

Quote:
Best advice I can give you is keep an open-mind on potential causes (it could be bacterial, it could be nerve related, it could be a physical manifestation of stress - my point is no one seems to know for sure, so no point in obsessing over a specific theory). Keep your visits to the forums 'weekly' instead of daily - its very easy to become obsessed, and constantly looking for answers only feeds the stress and the pain cycle - there is no magic fix (yet). Its good to have someone from the UK represented here. It sounds like you have the means and the geographical access to experts in Europe who may have a different perspective, different testing methods and different treatment modalities.

Yeah, its interesting you say this because one of the main pieces of advice that most recent urologist gave me was not to fall into the trap of obsessing over the illness to the extent that "everything becomes about prostatitis". He said that I must find a way to let it recede into "the background of my life" and if I am able to do so, it will probably become a 1 out of 10 in terms of its impact on my quality of life.

He suggested that I should start "working out" again, which I had stopped for fear that lifting weights could put pressure on my prostate.

In terms of means, I actually have little of that at present I have to admit!

I currently live in Scotland but will be moving down to London next year to start a training contract with a major law firm. I have exams to sit before this is 100% secure, which prostatitis has made difficult to do. When I do eventually move down and start earning in July 2017, I intend to become a patient at the Prostate Centre in London, run by Dr Julian Shah. I have heard good words about his practice and will be sure to post anything useful he may be able to tell me on this forum, for the benefit of others, if his particular approach to treatment has any efficacy.

Many thanks for your helpful words of advice, they are greatly appreciated.

Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:10 pm

chris85 wrote:
Julian shah does the prostate massage in london, he seems to be some kind of expert.

Ah, checkmate!

An odd coincidence perhaps but I just mentioned him in my previous post without first noticing yours.

Yes, I've been in contact with folks at his centre in London. It looks quite promising and cutting-edge from a research point of view.

At present, I am under the NHS here in Scotland and since they are offering me - after requests - an EPS test and a cystoscopy free of charge, I'm obviously sticking with them at present.

However when I relocate to London next year and have the means to take out private health insurance, I have every intention of visiting Dr Shah as a patient.

Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:15 pm

Inflamed wrote:
You won't have it for the rest of your life, believe that, it is a very important part of the healing process. Tell yourself you're getting better every day, repeat that in your mind, especially when you feel pain.

It will fade over time, it does get better once you begin to identify triggers, and find things along the way which help. Read these forums, you will find a lot of information on what works and what doesn't. Some of us have had success with Quercitin, NAC, probiotics, antifungals, and a clean diet that cuts down on sugars and carbs. Others have had luck with antibiotics. Don't get discouraged, fight! :D

Cheers for the above post Inflamed, you give me much needed hope! I did get a bit despondent after hearing that statement from the urologist but I do have to try and buck up again, well as keep an open mind as to possible triggers.

Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:18 pm

Inflamed is right, don't give up hope, things can change and there may be a day when you look back and feel glad you kept on going. I am a firm belivever there is a lot of scope for improvement outside of mainstream medicine with this disease, which is poorly treated by conventional medicine. Actually I have had just some residual pelvic pain when walking for about 6 months now after the main episode. I still thought about suicide or prostate removal when walking sometimes, but was OK sitting. So I thought hey what have I got to lose and went to a homeopath in london. After 2 weeks of taking this stuff I had 80-100% pain relief when walking...! Stopped taking it, the pain came back, started taking it, the pain went away. It has been a few months and life is good now, I can't complain. Still cannot have sex more than once every 3 days otherwise the bad times return. London is good for health care, there also is a myofascial butt massager on Harley street called Amanda. That didn't work for me, or Julian Shah, but they both have different approaches so you have to see what works for your body. I hope you return to health, this is a unholy disease in the nether regions that no man deserves to suffer from not even Donald Trump or other evils.

Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:26 pm

Ha! I was waiting for the first Donald Trump reference on this forum :)

Smurf - any sexual encounters in the months/weeks/days leading up to onset with someone new (even oral)?

Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:22 pm

WS1234 wrote:
Ha! I was waiting for the first Donald Trump reference on this forum :)

Smurf - any sexual encounters in the months/weeks/days leading up to onset with someone new (even oral)?

Nope, none that I can recall with a randomer and certainly no oral.

Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:45 pm

It just shows the same symptoms can start happening without a sexual encounter. So many of us automatically link the onset of this with our most recent sexual encounter, but it's not always the trigger. It just adds to the mystery.

Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:19 pm

Chris, what homeopathic medicine did you use?

Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:17 pm

So homeopathy isn't like normal medicine you have to diagnose every patient individually, you d have to go see a classical homeopath. There's a lot of quacks in the industry, but I managed to find some one who used to be a medical doctor and is well respected. Seems to have done the trick for me anyway and it was only one appointment, we've just had a few emails subsequently. I'll write a thread about it if this continues for another few months.

Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:21 am

chris85 wrote:
So homeopathy isn't like normal medicine you have to diagnose every patient individually, you d have to go see a classical homeopath. There's a lot of quacks in the industry, but I managed to find some one who used to be a medical doctor and is well respected. Seems to have done the trick for me anyway and it was only one appointment, we've just had a few emails subsequently. I'll write a thread about it if this continues for another few months.

Yes, please do.

Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:48 am

Thanks Chris

Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]