Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Help! Prostatitis terrible flareup - antihistimine? 

Post Help! Prostatitis terrible flareup - antihistimine?
Ok so the past several days have seen my prostatitis spiraling out of control. Pain hasn't been this bad since I had my flare-ups when I was taking Claritin-D and Nyquil earlier this year.

Pain is very acute just like when I was on those meds - which has me wondering if one of my new supplements might be causing the issue.

I just started taking bee pollen and quercetin & bromelain about a week ago. Do you think it's possible either of them could have any natural antihistamine properties? This is the only thing that I've changed in the past two months or so according to my daily excel log. Any thoughts?

Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:06 pm

Post Re: Help! Prostatitis terrible flareup - antihistimine?
Yes, I've read that quercetin is a natural antihistamine

Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:53 am

Cali2016 wrote:
Yes, I've read that quercetin is a natural antihistamine

I also think quercetin is a natural antihistamine.

Could you specify which brands you are taking?

My recommendation would be to stop the supps for now. I am sorry this is a guess game. I normally recommend looking into quercetin and graminex because they seem to be effective for some patients (see glen56). Both quercetin and cernilton (graminex) have been shown to be better than placebo in randomized controlled trial but from what I read in the forums, the response to this supps is very individual.

I have quercetin at home and graminex is in my list of things to try. I am extra careful and try things one by one.

Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:48 am

I know that I can't handle any kind of pollen, from flowers, bees, trees, you name it due to severe allergies. I can't even eat honey. Quercitin never really did anything for me either, nor did saw palmetto.

Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:35 pm

Post Re: Help! Prostatitis terrible flareup - antihistamine?
I'm not sure what to think because just about every source says they are good for people with enlarged prostates because they are anti-inflammatory. But if they tend to operate like natural antihistamines then that goes counter to modern medicine - which says that medications with antihistamines can be bad for people with enlarged prostates (they have certainly proven to be terrible for me)!

In any case, last night was my last time taking any of them for the near future. I'll see if my symptoms subside at all and report back!

Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:23 pm

antihistamine is for allergies full stop.

you need to get checked up to see if there is an infection going on.

one thing for everyone to consider, i was speaking with a doctor and it was not even something i had even thought about apparently the tissues surrounding the prostate along with other organs can be infected or even inflamed.

so basically this could mean that if cultures are taken and do not show anything then this does not mean the tissues are infected.

in the mean time do please get checked out to rule out infections.

Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:06 pm

Mikey, trust me I am well aware of the issue of infection...I've had my share of antibiotics.

The issue is that cold medicines with nasal decongestants and antihistamines are generally agreed to be bad for people with prostatitis supposedly due to their vasorestrictor tendencies. It causes the fibrous capsule around your prostate to restrict and extensive pain can result. I have this reaction very badly when I use any sort of allergy or cold medicine - learned the hard way.

The question is why a "natural antihistamine" would behave any different. It's confusing given that bee pollen, quercetin and bromelain are all generally accepted as supposedly good for the prostate for their anti-inflammatory properties, however at the same time they're a natural antihistamine which is bad for people with enlarged prostates.

My experience since stopping those supplements 36 hours ago is that the capsule restriction symptoms (intense burning of the prostate) has almost gone away completely. I still have my normal prostatitis symptoms but they aren't nearly as bad as they were two days ago.

I'll see if the trend continues.

http://prostatitis.org/redirect.php?lin ... anges.html

Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:56 pm

A couple of days in to my experiment and I'm feeling night and day better. Another example of how little we know about this disease and not to trust broscience as fact. Some of you could be taking a supplement purported to help the prostate but actually making your symptoms much worse! Anyway, bee pollen, quercetin and bromalein are definitely not an option for my prostatitis.

Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:20 pm

Glad your feeling better mate.

Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:48 pm

Cernilton and quercetin gave me insomnia, didn't sleep at all.

Indian herbal medicine triggered my prostatitis.

Diclofenac which I read about on here caused my recovering joint pain to go awful again.

You can't tell what a drug or herb or supp is going to do what to you because everyone's an individual. At least we know cernilton and quercetin help the majority of people compared with placebo and we haven't had any reports of them causing chronic illness like cipro.

Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:01 am

I agree with Chris, but from what I read so far, those that are helped by quercetin seem to be a minority. And they relapse if they stop taking it, which means it doesn't actually solve the problem. My guess is that quercetin prevents that the acetaldehydes produced by the fungal overgrowth bind to histamine receptors and cause mast cell degranulation. I have no training in life sciences so my theories are unlikely to be accurate.

I haven't seen many forum members trying the cernilton/graminex so I can't comment on that.

And then there seem to be psychosomatic factors contributing to this disease which just make everything more confusing.

Dr. Dimitrakov said long long time ago that 45% of patients responded positively to abx while 70% responded to placebo.

Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]