Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Ezer's success story - pelvic pain 

Post Ezer's success story - pelvic pain
Sharing Ezer's story here as I find it as a perfect example of what the mind can do to the human's body. Maybe some people will find themself in this story, like I did, although I did not go thru such a hell as Ezer:
----------
Hello Everyone,
I have posted on pudendalhope.info and got pretty much ostracized for my anti PNE surgery views.
I suffered from CPPS since 2002. I fell on a wet marble floor and had pain since.
Following is a short summary of my journey:
Wise-Anderson protocol
100 sessions of pelvic floor physical therapy
MRN Neurography "confirming" PNE
Received a PNE diagnosis by 5 different physicians
6 pudendal nerve blocks and Botox
Sarno
2 PNE surgeries
I had to quit work
I suffered for 11 years and hit rock bottom after my 2 consecutive pudendal nerve decompression surgeries, being practically bed ridden for several months. Why did I have PNE surgery? I was simply desperate and grasping at straws. I was resigned to muddling through life managing my days around pain.
But now I am symptoms free. The following is a summary of my journey in the last 2 years. I discontinued all medication and I am back at work full time.

My recovery started with an odd incident. In 2012, I met some old friends that I had not seen for 30 years. It was incredibly emotional and I had the surprise of experiencing my CPPS simply vanish after years of continuous pain.

Why would emotions make the pain go away?
I started asking people for what triggered their CPPS. It seems that often there was some unremarkable physical incident but also a strong emotional upset in the mix.
I then searched for emotions and chronic pain.
Emotions are stored in what is called the implicit memory. You cannot recall them. It is hidden from you. You do get some manifestations of it when you blush or stutter for example. Or it is the part of your brain that will make you steer your car away from danger without you actively thinking about it.
The amygdala is part of the limbic system that is linked to emotions. The amygdala functions to control fear responses (fight, flight, and especially the freeze response that is key in chronic pain), the secretion of hormones, and the formation of emotional memories. The concept of the amygdala as an important contributor to chronic pain and its emotional component is still emerging.

Back in 2006, I read Sarno's book, "The Mindbody Prescription". I tried everything that was in the book. I was not successful at all. It did nothing for the pain. There was the cryptic instruction to "think psychologically whenever you are distracted by the pain". I did not have a clear vision of what that meant. I just thought (like 99% of people) that it meant to "not think physical". Since 2006 however, there has been advances in our understanding of mindbody syndromes. There are more resources. It seems that emotions play a key role in chronic pain. For me it finally clicked when I understood that thinking psychologically means to reconnect with your emotions.
Emotions are real. They are not just a concept. You can measure an emotion by monitoring the galvanic skin response on the body. There is some theory behind the mindbody connection or more precisely the emotion-chronic pain link.

My recovery time with the mind-body technique was roughly a year. I had to quit my job. I was out of work for 5 years. I am back at work full time as I write this. I do not have any CPPS anymore. I sit as long as I want and travel internationally once again. I am an engineer by training and I was not open to the mind-body connection initially.

The pain is real. It is not in our *heads*. Our muscles spasm and squeeze nerves, but it is the brain that controls our muscles. By doing mind exercises, you can indeed release muscle tension.

If you have experienced a significant drop in pain while on vacation, away from home, or while distracted. I feel that you should at least consider the option.

-------------------------------
I did not share the entire story here as it's quite long, you can find the whole story on one of these 3 sites:
1- http://prostatitis.org/redirect.php?lin ... aled.8680/
2- http://prostatitis.org/redirect.php?lin ... =74&t=6222
3- http://prostatitis.org/redirect.php?lin ... hilit=Ezer (on this one you'll have to register however.)

Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]