Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Prostatitis from Intercourse? 

Post Prostatitis from Intercourse?
I am new here and am a 27/m in very good health. Other than the common cold and a bout of mono in college, I have never had any health issues. Last April, I began dating my current girlfriend. After courting for a few weeks, we finally slept together after about a month of dating without a condom. I had known the girl for a while and knew she had a good reputation. The following week after our first intercourse, we slept together again, and 2 days later I woke up with pressure in the bladder, pain in my lower back, bloating, frequency of urination and burning and trouble maintaining an erection.

I saw my physician who checked my prostate and gave me 20 days of Cipro. After the course of Cipro, I felt lousy and had other symptoms such as swollen lymph nodes, extreme fatigue, general ill feeling, muscle twitching, etc. A few months later, my symptoms subsided and I was fine. Then in August, I noticed a whitish liquid in my urethra and inside my boxers which left a crusty residue, and went back to my PCP and had the gamut of STD tests run, all of which were negative. Gave me 1 high dose of Azithromycin and 1 high dose of Doxy, and my symptoms cleared once again. My girlfriend was testing completely too, and was clean.

Then around December after a stressful client wrapped up, I noticed that bit of pressure starting to show up in my bladder again, and a few weeks later, I had the back pain and burning, and fullness and frequency, and finally saw a urologist in January and told me I had prostatitis. I took 10 days worth of Levaquin and have not had any alcohol, caffeine or spicy food since then. My symptoms are still there, but the discomfort is much reduced. Hoping for them to go away again eventually for a decent period of time.

Sorry for being so long winded, but I previously dated a girl for 4 years before my current girlfriend whom I began seeing last April. As my ex and I were in a committed relationship, we did not use condoms after the first 6 months of our relationship, and never had a problem. Once I began dating my current girlfriend, these symptoms pop up in a matter of days following our first unprotected intercourse.

Has anyone had a similar experience, or heard of anyone getting prostatitis from sex with girlfriend/wife/random hook-up?

Thanks.

Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:53 pm

Post Re: Prostatitis from Intercourse?
There is much argument and difference of opinion about this. The experts on both sides have strong evidence to support their ideas.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:01 pm

balblf33 wrote:
There is much argument and difference of opinion about this. The experts on both sides have strong evidence to support their ideas.

I just can't seem to figure out anything else. It has to be what caused this for me. I dated a girl for 4 years and stopped using a condom after 6 months and never once had a problem.

5 days after I am officially dating my current girlfriend and these symptoms pop up. I'm afraid she is a carrier of bacteria or pathogen that does not affect her. However, I would think that would show up in a full STD test on her, which was clean in August.

Just sucks. Wish I could turn back time.

Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:43 am

Yes, you can get prostatitis from intercourse!

This is precisely how I got mine. No doubt about it, I was fine until my dubious encounter, and there was absolutely nothing else to attribute it to. I caught urethritis at the same time (NSU was the diagnosis at the STD clinic) so it's logical to assume that the infection travelled up the urethra as far as the prostate.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:51 pm

I know you can get it. However, all of my STD tests were negative. C&G, Trich, etc.

Spoke with my Uro on Monday and asked him the question and said if all those were clean, then there was a barely any chance it could be caused by sex with me. Additionally, my gf was tested and was clean as well.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:33 pm

CLCardinal84-
I actually suspect I got prostatitis from my wife who I've been with for 20+ years and we've both been faithful and monogamous. I felt a UTI coming on and we had sex. She was actually about 2months pregnant at the time and I suspect it is Trich or a fungal infection. She is prone to yeast infections and during pregnancy the bacteria in the vagina change and the general chemistry don there changes.

Good luck. I've been dealing with it for 6months now...

Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:59 pm

Quote:
I felt a UTI coming on and we had sex. She was actually about 2months pregnant at the time and I suspect it is Trich or a fungal infection. She is prone to yeast infections and during pregnancy the bacteria in the vagina change and the general chemistry don there changes.

Sonnypow, what you say about yeast infections is quite correct and the woman who gave me my prostate problems swore she had "nothing worse than thrush" (oh, great!!!) Funnily enough, everyone I've mentioned this to has said something along the lines of "Oh, thrush, that's pretty easy to treat" without realising just how difficult it is in practice to get rid of and/or what it can lead to.

Have you tried removing as much sugar as possible from your diet? If not, then I would urge you to do so ASAP because I believe you would make a lot of progress simply by doing this. Of course, if it's Trich then you'll need some antibiotics which, as I discovered, can aggravate the yeast infection if you have one of these as well. However, if it's Trich on its own you should be okay and if it's just a fungal/yeast infection then try the no-sugar approach.

At least half the problem is pinpointing the exact cause of your suffering and if the tests don't show any STD's then some kind of yeast infection looks a fair bet. It's no good talking to the docs about this though because many of them are unfamiliar with male yeast issues and some don't even acknowledge it as being a genuine medical ailment.

It's quite astonishing when you think about it!

Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]