Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 N-acetylcysteine (NAC) helping & my story 

Post N-acetylcysteine (NAC) helping & my story
I got prostatitis in 2001. Went to the local uro. He took the a urine sample and disappeared long enough to stick a dipstick in it. He came back, muttered he didn't find anything, and did nothing for me. Went to the next closest uro with the same result. Went to see Dr. Polacheck but by then a couple of months had elapsed. On the third of successive prostate massages he sent my EPS out for culture and cytology. Cytology came back with copious bacteria and inflammatory markers. Dr. P got me started on antibiotics and daily massages. This helped tremendously but I whenever I tried to get off antibiotics the prostatitis would flare (the delay in starting abx had allowed the bacteria to build biofilms). Ultimately I took abx for 12 years until they didn't work anymore. Since then I have been using anti-inflammatories. About a year and a half ago I discovered Phytocort which really quelled the prostate pain & inflammation, but the reduced immune vigilance which caused the bacterial infection to flare in my vas deferens and epididymis, causing groin and scrotum pain. This, however, is more tolerable than prostate pain and inflammation, which, as you all know, is just the worst location to have this kind of problem.

For the last few weeks I have been taking NAC, for reasons other than prostatitis. As a consequence I have been able to stop the Phytocort and am in the process of reducing my other anti-inflammatories. NAC has a dual action. It is well known to attack biofilms - if you search Google Scholar using the search terms N-acetylcysteine and biofilm you will come up with a long list of results. It also reduces prostate inflammation as set forth here: http://prostatitis.org/redirect.php?lin ... 016-0327-1. I suspect it is the anti-inflammatory action that is helping because most of the biofilm research has been done using NAC at the parts-per-thousand level, which exceeds normal physiological concentrations. It seems NAC would be a useful addition to prostate antibiotic injections.

NAC is readily available in 600mg capsules. Because it is highly acidic I add calcium hydroxide (lime) to the bulk powder, 24% by weight. Once dissolved this makes the calcium salt with a neutral pH. I cap that up in double-aught caps. It ends up being 720 mg NAC, which I take ~4x/day.

Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:04 pm

Post Re: N-acetylcysteine (NAC) helping & my story
Thanks for sharing the good news. I will be looking forward to further updates.

Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:04 pm

The study posted seemed to concentrate on nonbacterial prostatitis. Do you have any thoughts on that and how you had assumed yours was bacterial in nature? (I'm assuming based on the amount of abx's you've taken).

NAC is sometimes used in bodybuilding supplements...at least it was a while ago. I recognized NAC from some of my earlier supplements. None I'm using now currently contain it, perhaps I'll give it a go.

Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:16 pm

The study I cited did use a non-bacterial model of prostate inflammation. My prostatitis was clearly bacterial since abx quelled it until the bacteria became resistant. So per my anecdotal report we have an indication that NAC works to relieve prostate inflammation from bacterial as well as non-bacterial prostatitis.

Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:35 am

Well I bought some yesterday at the grocery store...wasn't too expensive so it's worth a try anyway.

Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:17 am

prostate454 wrote:
Well I bought some yesterday at the grocery store...wasn't too expensive so it's worth a try anyway.

Thanks for trying NAC. Let us know how it goes.

Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:31 am

Continuing to reduce my other anti-inflammatories. Prostate feeling "good", which is better than it has felt in a long time.

It will be interesting to see if anyone else gets improvement - not much downside to giving NAC a try.

Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:51 pm

Definitely try to reduce the acidity. NAC works well for post nasal drip during a cold, or flu also. It stops it completely, somehow it thins mucus. With gastritis though, when I took it, it made my stomach hurt worse, otherwise I would probably still be taking it.

Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:36 pm

I found a case study.

http://prostatitis.org/redirect.php?lin ... om/kgeev8y

Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:04 am

JoeW, you mentioned that you alter the ph and make the NAC neutral. Is it possible to make it alkaline without compromising the efficacy of the NAC? I ask because I would like to try, but right now my stomach is struggling with anything acidic.

Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:08 am

Yes it is possible to neutralize the acidity and from my experience that does not impair the effectiveness. Get NAC and calcium hydroxide in bulk powder form. Calcium hydroxide is also known as "pickling lime". Add 24% by weight of lime to the NAC. If you shake the mixture up a bit it mixes very thoroughly. Then cap it up in 00 size gel caps. Yield is net ~700 mg NAC per cap, pH neutral. When dissolved in water this mixture becomes the calcium salt of NAC. It is quite soluble, as is plain NAC, which is a good indication that its effectiveness remains unimpaired.

In addition to the supplements you will want:
An accurate scale, 10 milligram resolution or better
00 gel caps
"cap m quik" capsule holder - this is a jig for filling 50 size 00 capsules at a time
pH meter - optional - you can dissolve a bit of the mixture in water to check the pH. Use distilled water for accurate results.

Everything mentioned is available from Amazon at reasonable prices compared to doctor visits, etc.

Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:00 pm

Awesome, thank you, I will definitely look into it

Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:15 pm

Thanks for finding that case study, jaumeb. Good to see independent evidence that NAC can be helpful.

Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:25 pm

This is actually very interesting. I hadn't thought of altering the PH of herbal medicines, I was simply just avoiding the acidic ones.

Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:36 pm

Here we are in November. Still taking the NAC, prostate still asymptomatic except for mild aches occasionally. I have reduced the anti-inflammatories quite a bit. I believe this is definitely worth a try if you have prostatitis.

Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:12 pm

JoeW wrote:
Here we are in November. Still taking the NAC, prostate still asymptomatic except for mild aches occasionally. I have reduced the anti-inflammatories quite a bit. I believe this is definitely worth a try if you have prostatitis.

Thanks for the update. It is good to know that nac is still helping you. I am glad you found something that works after trying so many different things over the years.

Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:14 am

This is interesting, yes thanks for keeping us informed.

Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:50 pm

February and prostatitis still in remission due to NAC. If neutralizing the acidity as I described upthread is too much trouble, you can simply take straight NAC with a TUMS antacid. NAC is cheap and every prostatitis sufferer owes it to himself to give this a try IMHO. If you do please post your result.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:08 pm

Hi mate,

How long did you take the NAC before it started working?

Cheers... DP.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:56 pm

I'm still taking it, have been since last fall. I can't say for sure one way or another whether it's helped or not. Couple questions Joe:

1. In another thread I mentioned that I was just taking it straight without any modification (to reduce acidity) and I believe you mentioned that this wouldn't really change whether or not it was effective. But here you seem to imply that it might. Is it useless to take without supplementing it?

2. I don't recall ever reading in other posts - you indicated you have CBP, what specific bacteria did they isolate from your EPS originally? And what abxs did you try over the years?

Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:51 pm

The NAC worked pretty quickly, I would say within a couple of weeks. That was not something I took careful note of at the time because I had started taking it for other reasons.

It should be effective whether pH neutralized or not. The only reason to neutralize it is if you are sensitive to acid in your diet. Apologies if I seemed to imply otherwise.

The bacteria found in my prostate were enterococcus faecalis and staphylococcus epidermidis. I took antibiotics for 12(!) years until the bacteria became resistant to everything. Along the way were a variety of beta-lactams, fluoroquinolones and macrolides.

Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:04 pm

Well I'll keep taking it, at the very least it's supposed to help my immune system which needs about all the help it can get right now.

Just curious, do you still test positive for bacterial culture even after 12 years? When was the last time you were tested and grew enterococcus?

Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:29 pm

It's been quite some time at this point. Years. Feeling ok and abx no use to me anymore so no point in getting tested.

Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:20 pm

dude, is this for real?

I want to share some experience

so i was diagnosed with prostatitis in aug 2016, took levofloxacin for 8 days and get horrible side effects (tinnitus, muscle and tendon pain, peripheral neuropathy, muscle weakness, etc)

so my friends at Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Group suggest some supplements to combat the side effects

and many people recommends N-Acetyl Cysteine

so i tried that NAC, in that time i don't give a damn about the prostatitis because i was focused on the horrible side effects of the Levofloxacin,

but now that you mentioned NAC, could it be the NAC that makes my prostatitis symptoms better?

S*it now i gotta try my leftover of NAC, if this could make it symptomatic, i would take it as a last resort....

I gotta update if i find something interesting guys....

Mon May 08, 2017 1:16 pm

Yes CHIP. Let us know if it works for you.

Tue May 09, 2017 9:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]