Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Probiotics 

Post Probiotics
Inflamed wrote:
Wow, that's cool, thanks Jaumeb. I'll have to give that a try.

This is all very experimental. It could easily backfire. To make things more complicated, there is this infamous die-off effect in which things get worse before they get better. So you never know if you are harming yourself or improving. I noticed also some changes in my mood/personality. More irritability. Now I think probiotics could play an important role in the recovery process. But then, I've been wrong on my 1000s of previous guesses. Even if probiotics were the answer for me, the question of which is the right one remains open. Florastor? Vsl3? Beet kvass? ACV? Sauerkraut? Kimchi? Kombucha? Milk kefir? Raw milk kefir? Water kefir? Coconut water kefir? Fermented salsa? Fermented beans? Yogurt? Goat yogurt? ... Each of those could be helpful or harmful and we don't know in advance.

In the US you have the bubbies sauerkraut that is sold alive.

I've been taking the vsl3 for one month and the homemade beet kvass for three weeks. So far I have not recovered. I will let you know if there is any progress ...

Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:16 pm

Post Re: Probiotics
Bacterial die off is a tough one for me, I get brain fog, and headaches. The Xifaxan I took recently seemed to cause that to occur. Then again, it could've also been the beginnings of cdiff since I did get diarrhea with the Xifaxan. As a result I started taking Florastor and VSL3 again and the stool issues cleared up. My gastroenterologist said that Xifaxan is not absorbed into the bloodstream, so that's those are the only other things it could've been, I guess.

My prostate did feel better after the Xifaxan, I've had some really good days, with very little relapse. I'm also trying not to sit too long, and I still deal with hesitancy though. I believe it's muscular at this point, because I have to focus to relax the pelvic muscles before I urinate.

Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:42 pm

Have you tried the xifaxan jaumeb?

Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:52 am

chris85 wrote:
Have you tried the xifaxan jaumeb?

No, Chris, I haven't.

Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:05 am

Inflamed wrote:
Bacterial die off is a tough one for me, I get brain fog, and headaches. The Xifaxan I took recently seemed to cause that to occur. Then again, it could've also been the beginnings of cdiff since I did get diarrhea with the Xifaxan. As a result I started taking Florastor and VSL3 again and the stool issues cleared up. My gastroenterologist said that Xifaxan is not absorbed into the bloodstream, so that's those are the only other things it could've been, I guess.

My prostate did feel better after the Xifaxan, I've had some really good days, with very little relapse. I'm also trying not to sit too long, and I still deal with hesitancy though. I believe it's muscular at this point, because I have to focus to relax the pelvic muscles before I urinate.

I had a panick attack and insomnia when I started the vsl3. And diarrhea two hours after I started the beet kvass. For me the muscular tension is very obvious. I can feel that my pelvic muscles are clenched all the time. And I think I always had some hesitancy so I really don't pay much attention to it.

Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:12 am

I believe kefir has the most probiotic bang for your buck. I remember reading a study where it outperformed yogurt for people on antibiotics (I think in terms of side effects like diarrhea as well as preserving microbiome). It has far more strains than any yogurt and probiotic and when you make your own it costs a lot less. I highly suggest anyone on antibiotics get some kefir grains and start fermenting their own kefir, it's insanely easy (this coming from a guy who hates cooking/cleaning/etc). I took it along with my 6 week course of bactrim and had zero side effects.

I also came across an article showing antioxidants help fight the dna and lipid damage that antibiotics create so I believe kefir and some kind of antioxidant rich food/supplement are important to pair with antibiotics. After reading that I actually have a hypothesis that the subset of people who get horrible damage from fluoroquinolones (cipro etc) like tendon ruptures and joint pain may be folks who have very low antioxidants in their diet because the damage comes from oxidative stress in these connective tissues killing off mitochondria. It'd be a very interesting study.

The other thing I've added to my diet is a pre-biotic. Dr Kresser talks about how pre-biotics are actually more important than pro-biotics because they feed the trillions of probiotics already in your gut. The prebiotic does make me gassy which may make your prostatitis flare up so use with caution and ramp up slowly and maybe try different types.

Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:25 am

Dihard, thanks for all the information. I don't have kefir grains right now, although I used to have them I'll probably start kefir if I can get the grains. It would be really useful to understand if kefir helps with CPPS.

I think "dr" Kresser is not a "dr". I think his credentials are a master in accupuncture or something like that.

Which was the prebiotic you used?

Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:44 am

I use a prebiotic called Oligo30, it has like 4 or 5 different types of prebiotics. There are a few on amazon that blend a few different types together.

You can also buy kefir grains off amazon now for like 15 dollars. I got some and they are working great. There are also usually kefir groups in most cities where people are giving away their extra grains.

Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:16 am

Thanks dihard.

Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:34 pm

I saw some Kefir at the whole foods store yesterday. It actually had far more species in it than I've ever seen in a probiotic capsule. I was really surprised. I didn't count them, but it easily looked to be at least 15-20, or more.

Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:09 pm

Inflamed wrote:
I saw some Kefir at the whole foods store yesterday. It actually had far more species in it than I've ever seen in a probiotic capsule. I was really surprised. I didn't count them, but it easily looked to be at least 15-20, or more.

And there are even more in homemade kefir. Many, many more, actually.

Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:24 pm

Whoa, this article says 150 billion colony forming units per tablespoon. A glass will get you in the trillions. VSL3 is the only probiotic supplement even in the multi hundred billion range and costs a few bucks per dose compared to a few cents for the superior kefir quantity and range of strains. I was thinking of trying one round of VSL3 to cover all the bases but I think it's unnecessary as it's totally eclipsed by kefir. I drink one 0.8L jar a day so that's around 8 trillion cfus.

http://prostatitis.org/redirect.php?lin ... -revealed/

Also, I got my post massage eps urine sample taken today so I'm going to experiment with putting some kefir around the glans and see if there is any effect from direct application of probiotics.

I wonder if direct probiotic repopulation may be a key to this prostatitis puzzle. In particular I'd be curious if anyone with prostatitis has tried a fecal transplant as that's kind of the ultimate re-seeding and that can apparently stop lethal c-diff and other crazy ailments in their tracks. With all the antibiotics we take this is especially important to us since normal microbiome is so impaired by them all over the body.

Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:22 pm

Another point of consideration is Dr. Toth calls the prostate the 'tonsils' of the urinary tract in that it excretes anti germ substances and also captures and holds on to bacteria (which usually doesn't cause issues). I know certain oral probiotic strains like S. salivarius BLIS K12 have been shown to head off tonsilitis (and other oral ailments like gum disease). If Dr. Toth's analogy is correct (I'm curious if you think it's a valid one) then perhaps there is a "BLIS K12" of the prostate we are all missing. This also jives with studies that have found men with prostatitis actually had less total bacteria in their semen than men without it when they tested both side by side.

Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:29 pm

Dihard, I've been in touch with a guy that tried FMT and it didn't work.

Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]