Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 4:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Should I waste my time with physical therapy? 

Post Should I waste my time with physical therapy?
After 2 rounds of abx and now a week of prednisone, I am still basically in the same shape. Doc told me there is no reason to come back to him and that he could refer me to a physical therapist. However I don’t really feel it will do much good. I don’t really have pelvis pain, it’s more of extereme discomfort in perennial area and scrotum and penis. When the uro performed his DRE there was no pain or discomfort when he pressed on the pelvic floor. Just don’t want to waste time and money if not really addressing the problem. Just don’t know what to do next.

Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:53 am

Post Re: Should I waste my time with physical therapy?
Absolutely! You need to be more open minded with your treatment. There are plenty of trigger points within the Pelvis that can refer pain and discomfort to the areas you’ve mentioned. I would definitely give PT a try, along with deep stretching, and relaxation techniques such as yoga, hot baths, meditation, etc. Find a PT that specializes in treating the male pelvic floor or one that is willing to work on men. Also read Headache in the Pelvis. This book will open up your eyes.

Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:06 pm

You try everything, to a point. You’ll know if it’s helping. Patience is the key to overcoming this. Without it you truly are wasting time. No matter the path you take, it’s usually a long one with quite a few wrong turns along the way. A mistake many people with prostate issues make is overlooking/ignoring the mental side of this. As much of a cliche as it might be, you have to get your mind right to get past this.

Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:05 pm

Depends on how bad you want to be pain free, eh? Aside from the indignity, which fades pretty quickly, you don't have anything to lose. Could be a cure if your problem is pelvic floor tension. Possibly a good sign that the steroid anti-inflammatories were of no help. AIF did help me quite a bit. I had no trigger points and my problem was specific to inflammation in the prostate itself, so PT did not cure me. However it was a coping mechanism and reduced my pain, sort of like taking a muscle relaxer without the side effects. Following about 10 sessions with a PT I got the courage up to do it myself and it was basically free aside from a therwand, lube, and rubber gloves. I did it almost daily for maybe a year before eventually my symptoms waned enough that I didn't need it anymore.

Warning that it took a fair bit of trial and error to figure out the amount of force to apply and where to apply it. It ain't like stretching your calves...you need to err on the side of gentleness.

Tue May 01, 2018 1:47 pm

Just checked and my insurance doesn't cover PT until after a sizable deductible. I also suspect that my ailments are due to inflammation of the prostate itself; I think my doc threw out PT since he doesn't have anything else to try. I am not sure how much PT would benefit my any way since I didn't have any tenderness on any of the DRE exams the doc gave me. What is AIF and where can you go to find some good DIY instructions on self rehab? I think I may try that as opposed to spending a ton $$$ for something I think maybe of limited benefit.

Tue May 01, 2018 4:15 pm

I was paying about $115 a visit until my deductible was met. This year is going to be the third year in a row where I reach my healthcare out of pocket max :). Though this year is due to hip and back problems and not prostatitis. Therapy is expensive on some healthcare plans until you get your deductible.

AIF = anti-inflammatories. If you've had no improvement on steroid anti-inflammatories then I'd be suspect that inflammation is the cause of your pain. I never had any significant pain of the prostate itself during DRE or PT or massage either, despite having an inflamed prostate.

I read Headache in the Pelvis about 100 times but it really took having the PT work on me a few times to know what I should be looking for. You could just pay for a handful of visits to see how it's supposed to feel and then go the gloved-hand or therawand route after you know what you should be looking for. You may think it to be of limited benefit, but how much would you pay to be pain free?

Tue May 01, 2018 5:13 pm

i am going to the gym now and focusing only on core exercises - abs, lower back, obliques....first few days was uncomfortable but it is getting better. not sure if it is helping but it can't hurt.

also helps with my emotional/mental state quite a bit.

Thu May 03, 2018 7:15 am

I have continued to exercise throughout this ordeal. It does help mentally but I don't think its helping the prostate. Actually, when doing squats it actually makes the pain/inflammation worse. Not sure what this means as far what is the root cause my problem though.

Thu May 03, 2018 9:44 am

I'm in physical therapy (with myofascial release), and they stretch my hip adductors, hamstrings, and glutes every session. That is prior to massage and myofascial release. They also are not having me exercise because last time (last year when I was going) it exacerbated the pain. They usually palpate my muscles for targeting trigger points, and rarely ever apply much pressure.

I think that the prostate being a gland renders it susceptible to a different kind of inflammation than muscle. Exercise and abx are so often emphasized to treat Prostatitis that other alternatives aren't discussed and tried either in addition to or instead of the baseline.

Thu May 03, 2018 11:34 am

I think physiotherapy can resolve your problem if done correctly so please visit a good physiotherapist

Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]