Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:08 pm



Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Prostatitis won't die 
Author Message

Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:50 pm
Posts: 1142
Post Re: Prostatitis won't die
prostate454 wrote:
I suppose it won't hurt to try (I think?). But won't the cultures just immediately be killed since I'm on antibiotics already?

Pain sucks this morning. Seems worse since going on augmentin. Who knows but none of this has been very encouraging.


If you give Florastor a try, it should work since it's a helpful yeast (ironic, I know, right?). The antibiotics shouldn't kill that, and it would probably alleviate your gi symtoms.


Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:23 am
Profile

Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 9:48 am
Posts: 647
Post Re: Prostatitis won't die
teaking wrote:
prostate454 wrote:
It's not quite that easy, my problems are a bit odd. About ten years ago I started getting fibromyalgia/arthritic pain in my muscles and joints that tends to come on worse in the warmer months. It gets very bad and I don't function very well during these times. After several years of this with various doctors I was getting nowhere, but randomly by accident I discovered that any drug that has pseudoephedrine sulfate completely clears it up within hours.

So I need PES....which is now a problem. This year hasn't been as bad and I'm hoping that might be due to me having been found to have lymes disease over the winter. In any case, I'm getting a muscle biopsy and EMGs done this summer so maybe that will shed some light on the problem.


I dont want to come across as a weirdo here but have you had your Vitamin D level checked?

I will explain my reasoning you say the symptoms get worse in the warmer months and this is typically when the sun is out and at a higher angle which would increase your Vitamin D level when they raise if your low in calcium or magnesium these levels will get worse as calcium is re absorbed into your bones and magnesium is used up int he process of Vitamin D absorption. Both of these can cause joint and muscle pain they are a symptom of both deficiencies. The only reason I bring it up is you describe fibromyalgia and joint pain in your post if you Vitamin D level is 50ng per ml then your in the right range and you may have a magnesium deficiency.

Just some random ideas :)


hmmm...I've had plenty of blood tests and the only thing that ever gets flagged is Cp/Ck levels being astronomically high, which is sometimes hard to interpret because I lift weights very hard. But I don't specifically recall ever reading a vitamin D result on any of the blood tests so perhaps its never been checked. It's an interesting theory and this is such a strange thing that I don't rule anything out. I'll look through some of my results this evening and see if it was checked on.


Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:50 am
Profile

Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 9:48 am
Posts: 647
Post Re: Prostatitis won't die
Well what the hell. I got my results back from LabCorp on semen/urine culture. So recall my doctor said enterococcus was identified...

1. My urine culture came back positive for e-coli and Klebsiella pneumoniae. Not a thing about enterococcus. They were listed as sensitive to amoxicillin so at least my treatment is inline with what doctor prescribed.

2. Like some other users on this forum, I am inclined now to believe the semen culture from LabCorp only checks for myco/Ureaplasma. The way I read the results I think that's all they did (both negative). Maybe the results would have been the same as urine culture, but I'm less confident in the diagnosis now.

I sent an email out to my doc to verify. Why is it like working in the stone ages with this stuff? On day 8 of my amoxicillin and no change yet. I'd even say it feels worse if anything.



EDIT TO ADD:---

So I started searching through my patient portal with my doctor (and not the LabCorp beacon homepage). There is an additional test result on the portal that apparently either is missing form LabCorp patient beacon or else just hasn't been posted to it yet. Pay attention all you armchair doctors - this is important info. My doc ALSO ordered LabCorp test number 180802, which is a "Body Fluid Culture". This is what was performed on my semen in order to culture the Enterococcus. The earlier test number I provided for semen was only for the Ureaplasma/Mycoplasma. When the LabCorp tech sent me the numbers last week she either missed this one or just forgot to include it.

In any case, it appears that not only do I have a UTI with Escherichia coli and Klebsiella...I also have an infection involving semen with Enterococcus. I'm falling apart! Where it all came from, who knows? I've never had anal sex in my entire life and the last time I had anything oral was.....oh yeah 3 days before all this started. Hmmmm...

So to summarize...these are the LabCorp test codes you need to get from your doc:

1. Comprehensive Urine Culture: LabCorp test code 008086
2. Ureaplasma/Mycoplasma hominis Culture (semen): LabCorp test code 086884
3. Body Fluid Culture, Sterile (semen): LabCorp test code 180802


Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:14 pm
Profile

Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 9:48 am
Posts: 647
Post Re: Prostatitis won't die
Well it's day six of amoxicillin. I'm actually feeling pretty good now. As good as I've felt on any other antibiotic. We'll see if the improvements continue or if they peter out at about this point which is where it usually does with antibiotics. Ejaculation still flares it up...sex with wife last night and now I'm a bit more sore today. By tomorrow it will have settled back down if it's like normal. Something about orgasm certainly causes it to get irritated the next day. Somehow there's a clue in there as to the nature of the disease but I don't know what it is...if it's purely inflammation or infection or both I don't know.

Stomach problems have somewhat alleviated. I still have diarrhea several times a day but the gas is all gone and I've been eating a lot of yogurt and cottage cheese and that has helped. I might pull the trigger on florastor from amazon tomorrow.


Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:03 pm
Profile

Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 9:48 am
Posts: 647
Post Re: Prostatitis won't die
What a rollercoaster this stupid thing is. Yesterday I posted how I was feeling pretty good. Then last night I tried to go to bed and the pain started going out of control. It was bad enough that I actually felt like I had to pee non-stop. That was a first. Took me four hours to finally fall asleep - legs were feeling numb as well. Not quite as bad as the other week in Houston but I'd say the second worst pain I've had in the past year. Ugh now this morning my entire urethra feels like your tongue does when you touch an almost-dead 9V battery to it. No lifestyle changes since starting the amoxicillin. It's definitely a different pain, not sure if that's good or bad. Like sands through the hourglass....


Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:49 am
Profile

Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 9:48 am
Posts: 647
Post Re: Prostatitis won't die
Things have definitely taken an interesting turn over the past week. About 8 days ago I decided to restart moxifloxacin in conjunction with my Augmentin. The Augmentin wasn't really doing anything insofar as I could tell, aside from causing terrible diarrhea. And I had 2.5 months worth of moxi left so I figured what the heck I might as well...since moxi definitively seemed to have an effect in the past.

FFWD to today and my symptoms are about 90% gone. Inflammation has died down, I don't really have any pain when I sleep, even ejaculation isn't causing as much of a flareup. This might be cause for jubilation except:

1. I have a mountain climbing trip coming up in one month so I'll have to stop antibiotics about a week prior to that - can't go up there with diarrhea like this.
2. I've felt pretty good on moxi in the past only to have it flare up after I stopped. I don't know why this time would be any different unless all my symptoms were 100% gone for a while before I actually stopped.

For now I'll keep rolling with it and see what happens...


Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:29 am
Profile

Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:50 pm
Posts: 1142
Post Re: Prostatitis won't die
Take some florastor bro, it will curb the diarrhea from abx. You might have to take extra doses of it though, if the rhea is bad.


Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:44 am
Profile

Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 9:48 am
Posts: 647
Post Re: Prostatitis won't die
Inflamed wrote:
Take some florastor bro, it will curb the diarrhea from abx. You might have to take extra doses of it though, if the rhea is bad.


I take this. It seems the problem is the clavulanic acid in the Augmentin, not the antibiotic itself, so the yogurt and probiotics aren't much help. It's manageable back in civilization, but any diarrhea in a "leave no trace" mountaineering environment is a big problem logistically...


Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:40 pm
Profile

Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:50 pm
Posts: 1142
Post Re: Prostatitis won't die
Good luck man, maybe you'll be alright with all the walking around, and climbing. Exercise definitely helps me, symptoms are much better when there's more blood flow down there.


Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:58 pm
Profile

Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 9:48 am
Posts: 647
Post Re: Prostatitis won't die
Time for an update...

The combination of Augmentin and Avelox has made my symptoms a lot better. Most days I'm sitting at about a 1/5 or 2/5 on the pain scale. Ejaculating once every 2-3 days seems to be therapeutic as well. I've only got about 3 more weeks of the Augmentin before that's done. I have about 6wks worth of Moxifloxacin stored up but I will probably stop it at the same time as the Augmentin then wait a few weeks and retest semen/urine culture for enterococcus.

I've come to find that I feel best during the weekends when I'm out and about doing things. With the pain dropped down to a 1 or 2/5 there are actually times when I forget about it altogether and don't notice the pain. The problem is I'm an engineer and my job is mostly sitting at a desk. I've definitely noticed a bad pattern by the end of the week with all the sitting down. I try to get up and walk around at regular intervals but it doesn't seem to help all that much.

One thing I've noticed - ever since I got this prostatitis a year ago and I've been on all these antibiotics and Valtrex I haven't been sick once! Usually I get a couple bad colds every year, but so far nothing at all in the past 12mo.


Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:46 am
Profile

Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:25 pm
Posts: 9
Post Re: Prostatitis won't die
prostate454 wrote:
Time for an update...

The combination of Augmentin and Avelox has made my symptoms a lot better. Most days I'm sitting at about a 1/5 or 2/5 on the pain scale. Ejaculating once every 2-3 days seems to be therapeutic as well. I've only got about 3 more weeks of the Augmentin before that's done. I have about 6wks worth of Moxifloxacin stored up but I will probably stop it at the same time as the Augmentin then wait a few weeks and retest semen/urine culture for enterococcus.

I've come to find that I feel best during the weekends when I'm out and about doing things. With the pain dropped down to a 1 or 2/5 there are actually times when I forget about it altogether and don't notice the pain. The problem is I'm an engineer and my job is mostly sitting at a desk. I've definitely noticed a bad pattern by the end of the week with all the sitting down. I try to get up and walk around at regular intervals but it doesn't seem to help all that much.

One thing I've noticed - ever since I got this prostatitis a year ago and I've been on all these antibiotics and Valtrex I haven't been sick once! Usually I get a couple bad colds every year, but so far nothing at all in the past 12mo.


I work at a desk also (drafting) and I have more pain by the end of the week than the beginning from sitting down. I even bought special cushion but it isn't helping much. Walking around some doesn't do much either. Seriously looking at getting one of those raising desks.

My symptoms have worsened since last Wednesday. Also about that time, somehow my back starting hurting and is still very tight. Coincidence? I'm scheduled for a massage Thursday. If my back and my symptoms both get better, there may be some correlation between the two.


Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:34 pm
Profile

Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 9:48 am
Posts: 647
Post Re: Prostatitis won't die
Update time....

Been on Augmentin for just over a month and about 2 weeks on the moxi now. I was ready to write a really upbeat report as my pain had really reduced in the past 3 days almost to the point where I was pain free...but I did a test and ejaculated and now I've taken a few steps back. Instead of a 1/5 I'm maybe at a 2-3/5. Not terrible but def worse than I was before ejaculation. Yet another thing I've learned from this sags is that the prostate really must get beat to hell during orgasm. I'll lay low for a few days and see if things improve again. Oh yeah another weird thing - I've noticed in the past week or so that ejaculation volume has really increased. Not sure what to make of it but it's pretty drastic compared to before.

This latest flareup is different though. There's a lot of burning in urethra and scrotum, not so much aching from the prostate region which is more similar to my symptoms when this whole thing started out last year. I also generally don't feel well and can't tell if it's HSV neuralgia acting up or some side effect of my antibiotics. I feel very tired and a lot of my skin burns. I'm hoping it's not some sort of candida. Almost called in sick to work today since I felt so lethargic. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

So I have about two more weeks of Augmentin and I'll stop the moxi whenever I feel like it. I'll probably stop at the same time so I can hopefully get my digestive system in order before my mountain climbing trip. I'm pretty sure my symptoms are going to flare right back up again after stopping so am starting to think ahead as to what my next plan might be.


Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:20 pm
Profile

Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 9:48 am
Posts: 647
Post Re: Prostatitis won't die
So you can't make this crap up. Last night I couldn't sleep and I was feeling sick so I took some Sudafed PM cold and flu. Well ffwd to tonight and my prostate is out of control - lvl 5/5 pain and it feels exactly like it did in Houston a few weeks ago when I almost went to the ER. On a hunch and in a fit of despair I just got the box of the Sudafed out and took a look...whaddaya know one of the ingredients is phenylephrine which, just like pseudoephedrine in Claritin-D, is terrible for an enlarged prostate!!! I'm sick of this crap. So apparently I have to not take another cold medicine ever again. My symptoms have been getting worse all day and I was pretty depressed. This actually does make me feel a little better since it explains the sudden increase in pain. Hopefully it wears off in a couple days.

Cautionary advice to all you out there - avoid nasal decongestants and look at the ingredients in your cough medicine! Mine doesn't list anything about prostate on the warning label, but the phenylephrine listed as a "nasal decongestant" is a dead giveaway.


Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:13 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:39 am
Posts: 609
Post Re: Prostatitis won't die
Herbal teas might be a better option. I wish I knew more about those.


Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:35 am
Profile

Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:55 am
Posts: 3
Post Re: Prostatitis won't die
I have noticed a big improvement in symptoms since I dropped my caffeine intake. I was a big coffee drinker and now I try to keep it at about a cup a day. Also staying away from gluten helps me.


Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:17 am
Profile

Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 9:48 am
Posts: 647
Post Re: Prostatitis won't die
jaumeb wrote:
Herbal teas might be a better option. I wish I knew more about those.


Ha, if only! I think I drink about 4-5 cups of tea a day. Green tea, white willow tea, earl grey...all sorts of teas. The only effect I've experienced so far is stained teeth.


Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:40 am
Profile

Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:39 am
Posts: 609
Post Re: Prostatitis won't die
kenac wrote:
I have noticed a big improvement in symptoms since I dropped my caffeine intake. I was a big coffee drinker and now I try to keep it at about a cup a day. Also staying away from gluten helps me.


I have also been caffeine free and gluten free for many years.


Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:02 am
Profile

Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:39 am
Posts: 609
Post Re: Prostatitis won't die
prostate454 wrote:

Ha, if only! I think I drink about 4-5 cups of tea a day. Green tea, white willow tea, earl grey...all sorts of teas.


The ones I'd be interested in are chamomile, rooibos, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, peppermint ...


Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:07 am
Profile

Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 9:48 am
Posts: 647
Post Re: Prostatitis won't die
Welp it's time for an update:

1. I stopped taking all antibiotics as of this morning - both Moxifloxacin and Augmentin. I stopped the Augmentin a week earlier than prescribed but it's obvious that it wasn't solving my problems anyway so it's no big loss. I need a few days to recover in time for my mountaineering trip next week. Ah yes, another 6 weeks of wasted treatment...what a loss.

2. If it's like previous times, I have about 7 days before my symptoms start to really flare up following the moxi. That stuff does make me feel about 50% better but it never quite goes the full mile.

3. I have an appt with my infectious disease doc on Wednesday because he's very knowledgeable about abx's (though not prostatitis in general) and I want a second opinion on my semen/urine culture results and abx sensitivities identified. This is a very technical way of saying "grasping at straws".


Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:05 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:39 am
Posts: 609
Post Re: Prostatitis won't die
Thanks for the update. Mountains are beautyful.


Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:27 pm
Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:08 am
Posts: 218
Post Re: Prostatitis won't die
prostate454 wrote:
Welp it's time for an update:

1. I stopped taking all antibiotics as of this morning - both Moxifloxacin and Augmentin. I stopped the Augmentin a week earlier than prescribed but it's obvious that it wasn't solving my problems anyway so it's no big loss. I need a few days to recover in time for my mountaineering trip next week. Ah yes, another 6 weeks of wasted treatment...what a loss.

2. If it's like previous times, I have about 7 days before my symptoms start to really flare up following the moxi. That stuff does make me feel about 50% better but it never quite goes the full mile.

3. I have an appt with my infectious disease doc on Wednesday because he's very knowledgeable about abx's (though not prostatitis in general) and I want a second opinion on my semen/urine culture results and abx sensitivities identified. This is a very technical way of saying "grasping at straws".


Know that feeling...

My Infectious disease dr kinda gave me the heads up that they are now not sure what to do.. the urologist said CPPS and the ID dr kinda said yeah sorry but probably not much they can do...
Kinda amazing that in our day and age we get an issue that people cant even pin point the problem. im not expecting they know how to fix it, but at least know what causes it or have tests to narrow down the problem.. i think the focus has been on prostate cancer, and this one has slipped under the radar. obviously because its not life threatening.


Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:58 pm
Profile

Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 9:48 am
Posts: 647
Post Re: Prostatitis won't die
Well knock me over with a feather but my ID doc was actually more knowledgeable about prostatitis than my uro! Maybe he's been doing his homework?

1. I went over my culture results with him for a second opinion as he is an abx expert. His opinion was that the e-coli and klebsiella from my uirine culture was light enough that it wasn't a big deal and very likely just background levels or sample contamination. Based on the heavy levels of enterococcus in my semen however he was adamant that those probably represented a real colonization and an actual infection. He also confirmed that he wasn't concerned about transmitting the infection to my wife and that it would actually be common for her to have some background level of the bacteria in her vagina anyway. I still have no idea how I would have gotten it from my encounter though.

2. We went over the use of augmentin and he confirmed that although the ent showed susceptibility to it, that it likely wouldn't have had as good an effect as a quinolone and that penetration wouldn't have been a good in the prostate. He agreed with the Levaquin susceptibility and confirmed that because of its similar nature, moxifloxacin would also have an effect - which matches up with my actual results.

3. When I questioned why I never seemed to be able to cure regardless of the duration of moxi use, he actually brought up possibly having a nidus of infection due to abscess or stones. Anyway, I'm going to get another CT scan done when I return from my mountain climbing trip. I had one about 9mo ago but it didn't show anything, though it was much earlier in the saga. I'm skeptical it'll show anything, though my prostate is certainly more painful now than it was 9mo ago. So maybe something will be visible this time.

4. Aside form that, nothing else really. I'm still off abxs for the past 5 days - no real change in symptoms yet...still at a 2/5 or 3/5 on the pain scale. He did spend a fair bit of time trying to convince me that this sort of inflammation doesn't last forever, and to try and stay positive. I told him I was trying to, but I didn't really have much of a choice anyway so I'm in it for the long haul no matter what...


Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:04 pm
Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:08 am
Posts: 218
Post Re: Prostatitis won't die
prostate454 wrote:
Well knock me over with a feather but my ID doc was actually more knowledgeable about prostatitis than my uro! Maybe he's been doing his homework?

1. I went over my culture results with him for a second opinion as he is an abx expert. His opinion was that the e-coli and klebsiella from my uirine culture was light enough that it wasn't a big deal and very likely just background levels or sample contamination. Based on the heavy levels of enterococcus in my semen however he was adamant that those probably represented a real colonization and an actual infection. He also confirmed that he wasn't concerned about transmitting the infection to my wife and that it would actually be common for her to have some background level of the bacteria in her vagina anyway. I still have no idea how I would have gotten it from my encounter though.

2. We went over the use of augmentin and he confirmed that although the ent showed susceptibility to it, that it likely wouldn't have had as good an effect as a quinolone and that penetration wouldn't have been a good in the prostate. He agreed with the Levaquin susceptibility and confirmed that because of its similar nature, moxifloxacin would also have an effect - which matches up with my actual results.

3. When I questioned why I never seemed to be able to cure regardless of the duration of moxi use, he actually brought up possibly having a nidus of infection due to abscess or stones. Anyway, I'm going to get another CT scan done when I return from my mountain climbing trip. I had one about 9mo ago but it didn't show anything, though it was much earlier in the saga. I'm skeptical it'll show anything, though my prostate is certainly more painful now than it was 9mo ago. So maybe something will be visible this time.

4. Aside form that, nothing else really. I'm still off abxs for the past 5 days - no real change in symptoms yet...still at a 2/5 or 3/5 on the pain scale. He did spend a fair bit of time trying to convince me that this sort of inflammation doesn't last forever, and to try and stay positive. I told him I was trying to, but I didn't really have much of a choice anyway so I'm in it for the long haul no matter what...


happy for you that you may have found a dr that is informed :) great new .. i have my fingers crossed that you might make some progress.

im now asking my dr to keep my iv in and keep it going for longer.. im getting some slow improvement of pains and so i want to keep this going as long as i can, i dont think they are keen though :(


Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:07 pm
Profile

Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 9:48 am
Posts: 647
Post Re: Prostatitis won't die
Logcrusader wrote:
happy for you that you may have found a dr that is informed :) great new .. i have my fingers crossed that you might make some progress.

im now asking my dr to keep my iv in and keep it going for longer.. im getting some slow improvement of pains and so i want to keep this going as long as i can, i dont think they are keen though :(



Thanks! I know how you feel. You have some minor improvement so you want to keep trucking but then you have to weigh it against the continued beatdown from antibiotics. It's one thing to have to keep taking pills but I can't imagine how disruptive it is to have to lug that IV around all the time and all the physical limitations it imposes. When I was reading up on vancomycin since mine is susceptible and learned it would require a PICC...did some reading on those and found it would mean no weightlifting for the duration! Ack, no thanks!

I did just receive an interesting update which I will post shortly!


Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:44 pm
Profile

Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 9:48 am
Posts: 647
Post Re: Prostatitis won't die
So I literally just got a call from my ID doc, here is very good and proactive in communications (even called me on x-mas day last year with test results!).

He examined my CT scan from last fall (up til now only my old uro had seen the results) and to him it was clear I have a prostate stone/calcification. We all know that in and of itself it isn't THAT abnormal to have those, but it could very well be a nidus of infection or perhaps has progressed into an abscess in the past 9 months. The next CT scan will hopefully tell more. It's not exactly a smoking gun but at least it's something to track down. Tomorrow I will go and schedule the test.


Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:48 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.