Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 My Story - Need Help Please! 

Post Re: My Story - Need Help Please!
Dr. Bahn is in Ventura, CA.

Google, "The Prostate Institute of America" in Ventura Ca. He has a website and it explains the procedure. His main focus is on prostate cancer, but he offers treatment for prostatitis, (Thank God!). He has a very high tech ultrasound machine that he uses. I flew into Santa Barbara and its only a 20-25 minute easy drive from the airport. LAX is quite a bit further, and a lot busier but not horrible. about an hour and a half at most. The people that work there are super nice, and very approachable. They understand what we are going through and are very empathetic. They also will give you a few numbers for referral as well, and the prices are very reasonable in my opinion.

Good Luck!

Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:26 pm

buckalou wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am a 23 year old male and have been diagnosed with multiple things but the majority of urologists have said nonbacterial prostatitis. It started in July of 2010 when I had to have surgery on my left lung for a spontaneous pneumothorax (collapsed lung). I had a foley catheter inserted in me for about a day and a half while recovering after the surgery. Throughout this day and a half I was complaining to the nurses constantly that my penis was hurting me very badly and was begging for them to take it out. They kept telling me that it needed to stay in. I was released from the hospital on July 16th, 2010 and right away I noticed something was wrong. I had very frequent urination, dribbling after urination, and my penis felt very sensitive. A week and a half later the symptoms were starting to subside somewhat and I was feeling somewhat better. On around the 2nd week my girlfriend performed oral sex on me and all of the feelings came back but this time with pain. Ever since then I have been trying to fight this and figure out what exactly is going on.
I have seen 4 urologists and none of them have been able to help me. I've had a PSA test done, UTI test (urine culture), sonogram of bladder and scrotum, and digital rectal examination. All of which came up negative. I have also taken antibiotics for a few weeks and it didn't seem to help me at all so the urologist(s) told me it was useless to keep taking them. I have tried herbal methods (quercetin) as well which didn't help. Most urologists have said that it will go away on its own but that has not happened whatsoever. The most recent urologist I saw said I didn't have prostatitis but rather glandular hypospadias. This diagnosis made no sense as I've looked into this condition and my symptoms are not associated with this disorder. My main symptoms are as follows:
• Frequent Urination
• Dribbling after urination
• Pain in the lower rectal area (comes and goes and after ejaculation)
• Pain after ejaculation in lower rectal area and or throughout penis
• Pain throughout penis (randomly comes and goes).
• Pain around the meatus area.
• Pain during urination (sometimes)
• Pain while erection (random)

As stated above a lot of these symptoms are random and comes and goes but this has been very depressing and I feel hopeless as of this point. The pain/discomfort is not 24/7 but I do feel pain/discomfort every single day from this. Before I had this surgery and a foley catheter inserted in me I was 100% fine and had no problems at all. It is very frustrating that no one can help or offer assistance. I have not yet had a cystoscope (nor do I want to) but I have mentioned it to every urologist I've seen and they haven't thought it was necessary and said it could potentially make things worse. Another symptom I forgot to add is a sort of tingly/itchy sensation through my penis, it is very annoying.

If anyone has some sort of advice please let me know. This has ruined my life and I just want to be happy and healthy again. I know this was obviously caused from the catheter since I have had no other problems or pain in this area until after I was catheterized. I just wanted to mention as well this was my FIRST time having a foley catheter inside me. I am at the point where I am ready to give up but I just hope that someone out there can give some assistance or advice. Even if anyone has had a similar experience due to cathertization that would be helpful to know. I was told by most urologists and have seen on forums that prostatitis generally comes out of nowhere, this was right after the catheter. So if anyone has any feedback or a similar story, please share as well.

To whoever reads this post thank you very much for taking the time, I sincerely appreciate it.

I read a medical link many months back about catheters and infections. It was interesting because it showed many different medical studies of how antibiotics were placed in catheters to stop bacteria from eventually growing. Antibiotics used were ceftin, ciprofloxacin and a 3rd which I can not remember. All antibiotics failed and bacteria grew anyway. The main bacteria that grew were ecoli and klebsiella. The men ended up with various infections mainly bladder infections or prostatitis. If i had the link I would post it but I do not.

Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:52 pm

This isn't the medical link I originally read, but it does say the following

Certain conditions and medical procedures increase the risk of developing prostatitis. You are at higher risk for getting prostatitis if you:

Recently have had a medical instrument, such as a urinary catheter (a soft, lubricated tube used to drain urine from the bladder) inserted during a medical procedure

http://prostatitis.org/redirect.php?lin ... tis?page=2

Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:58 pm

Ironsheik,

If you could find the link that would be great. I appreciate your response and do you have any advise? All antibiotics have failed and not healed me. I don't know what to do anymore.

Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:10 pm

I know for me that I have took antibiotic after antibiotic and the only things that have ever worked for me where cephalosporin antibiotics. I remember I had a small shot of rocephin 250 mg and there wasn't much prostatitis left over maybe 40%, the doctor tried the shot again a few weeks later but it was to late it was already immune to the drug. that is the major problems that doctors don't understand, I have talked to countless people online who reported a drug was working then the doctor stops the drug, then the drug is taken later on down the line again and it no longer works. A doctor needs to listen to a patient to understand what works and what doesn't. pills just don't hardly work on this thing.

I took a cephalosporin pill (cephalexin) it was working took it 3 weeks. was getting erection back, full orgasm feeling back, low back going down, I mean it was actually having an effect on me. it was actually working and really good. but once the drug was stopped all symptoms came right back and once the drug was tried again later it did not work. I should also add that the effects of that drug were almost instant, I'm taking about the antibiotic kicking in after about 24 hours.

My theory is this, if an antibiotic isn't going to work it isn't going to work. some doctors may put a patient on a drug and say give it time to work and you wait months and months and it never does anything. IMO if you are taking an antibiotic and you haven't noticed a big effect in 7 days, more than likely that drug isn't going to work for you.

with that being said as good as that cephalexin was working, once the drug was stopped all symptoms came back about 4 days later. and the drug never worked again. Think about this,that drug had a powerful effect on this, yet it wasn't able to kill this in 3 weeks. I don't think pills are the answer.

I have took cipro, levaquin, ceftin, avelox, doxy, tetracycline, augmentin, cephalexin, trimethoprim,

The shot killed what the pills could not. by the way, I had taken trimethoprim once before and all my anal pain disappeared and I was able to sit down, which I can not sit at all right now.that is the only symptom it helped with. I took it 6 weeks, once the drug was stopped and the anal pain came back 4 days later.

I took a 10 week course of trimethoprim later and it did not have the same effect the 2nd time.

I believe IMO that in order to kill this with a pill, the prostatitis would have to be super sensitive with the drug, big time symptom relief within a few days and the drug would have to be taken for 90 days or longer, possibly even as long as 12 months. but if the drug is barely doing any good or not working at all I don't think even a 12 month course would do any good.

IMO I don't think the antibiotics are really reaching the infection, I think only a teeny tiny bit of that drug gets in the prostate. I had looked up concentration of antibiotics in the bladder and then the prostate. keep in mind it takes 1,000 micrograms = 1 milligram

And that ciprofloxacin is 500 milligrams

If a person has a bladder infection and takes 2 500 milligram ciprofloxacin a day. he gets about 5,000 micrograms = 5 milligrams of ciprofloxacin a day in the bladder.

with the cipros, norfloxacins, etc.. the concentration is
1 - 3 micrograms per day. if you took ciprofloxacin for prostatitis for 30 days the concentration of antibiotics in that prostate would be about 90 micrograms, still not even 1 milligram yet.

the rocephin shot concentration is between 50 -75 micrograms in the prostate per shot.

Now think about this, this is why those antibiotics are taken for months on end to kill that prostatitis, because the concentration levels of antibiotics are are miniscule in that prostate. but we come to a problem if there is an organism that is not overly sensitive to that ciprofloxacin it is going to take giant mega concentrations of that cipro to stop that organism up in there.

This is why some men have luck with direct injections.
because that entire 500 milligram antibiotic is injected into the prostate, all of it every milligram. yet there are still men who get levaquin injections and it takes 3 or 4 shots to even start working. which shows a huge non sensitivity to that drug.

So if huge amounts of levaquin are just barley working for this guy how can some little pills where almost no amount of medicine gets into the prostate help us? answer is they can not unless there is a huge sensitivity to that pill right off the bat and then that pill must be maintained for months if not a year to get the job done. best bet is to get a huge shot in the butt of a drug you know is gonna work for you or go find someone like a dr bahn who can do direct injections for you. I would ask him to take out the steroid in the injection, steroids can make this crap much worse.

Also there are factors other than antibiotics that cause prostatitis, such as fungus, viruses, parasites, and couple of other things I can't think of off the top of my head. Dr krongrad of the krongrad institute of florida removes prostate for prostatitis. If you have tried your butt off to get rid of this and you just can't stop this thing. he can remove it, some times it is best just to lose the organ and be done with it rather suffer the rest of your life with it.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2