Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 A guide to the causes of chronic prostatitis with solutions 

Post Re: Common causes of chronic prostatitis and solutions
From a recent paper they claim there are 7 subtypes of prostatitis from a patient questionnaire and data analysis.

Davis, S. N., Binik, Y. M., Amsel, R., & Carrier, S. (2013). A subtype based analysis of urological chronic pelvic pain syndrome in men. The Journal of urology, 190(1), 118-123.

Cluster 1—ejaculatory pain and sexual dysfunction. Pain symptoms in this group were of moderate intensity and duration, experienced at diffuse locations and associated with ejaculation. Significant impairments in mental health and sexual dysfunction were present. Prostate infection and related urinary symptoms were common. This was the oldest group.

Cluster 2—new pain. Pain symptoms in this group were of lower intensity and shorter duration, and most often experienced in the testes. Psychosocial and sexual impairments were minimal. Urinary symptoms were common but infection and inflammation were minimal. Pain thresholds were high.

Cluster 3—low pain symptom/distress. Pain symptoms in this group were of low intensity, moderate duration and at diffuse locations. Psychosocial and sexual impairments were minimal. Urinary and prostate symptoms were low to moderate. Pain thresholds were low. This group was younger.

Cluster 4—prostate pathology. Pain symptoms in this group tended to be of higher intensity and moderate duration, and experienced at multiple locations in the pelvic region. Psychosocial impairment was common but sexual impairments were minimal. Urinary symptoms, and prostate infection and inflammation were common. Pain thresholds were
moderate. This group was younger.

Cluster 5—testicular pain. Pain symptoms in this group were of moderate intensity and duration, and primarily experienced in the testes and perineum. Mental health was impaired but sexual function was
not. Urinary symptoms were moderate but infection and inflammation were uncommon. Pain thresholds were moderate.

Cluster 6—long-term genitopelvic pain. Pain symptoms in this group were of high intensity and duration, and experienced at many locations but primarily in the pelvic region. Psychosocial and sexual impairments were common. Urinary symptoms were moderate but infection and inflammation were uncommon. Pain thresholds were moderate.

Cluster 7—widespread bodily pain. Pain symptoms in this group were of moderate intensity and duration, and experienced at a wide variety of pelvic and other body locations. Psychosocial impairment was common and sexual impairment was moderate. Urinary symptoms were common but infection and inflammation were uncommon. Pain thresholds were high.

CONCLUSIONS

Previous CPPS research has been hindered by the
heterogeneous symptom presentation. Our sample
confirmed a heterogeneous syndrome, which we de-
scribe in detail. This heterogeneity may be used to
differentiate subtypes, leading to more precise treat-
ment trials for a heterogeneous syndrome. The abil-
ity to accurately define subtypes or different syn-
dromes also has the potential to provide better
understanding of the underlying pathology of CPPS.

Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:54 am

I don't feel identified with none. Is my case that strange?

Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:28 am

Im probably in cluster 7, but it is not clear cut, this is just the majority of people fall into these. Some might be mixed or you might have a rarer form. I think this is the beginning of more personalised medicine.

Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:45 pm

I just though I'd point out for people who think maybe there's a few too many products out there to treat prostatitis that there is scientific support for pollen extract called cernilton. It contains natural anti inflammatories. It is also sold as prostabrit. Probably worth a punt. Here is the paper.

A pollen extract (Cernilton) in patients with inflammatory chronic prostatitis-chronic pelvic pain syndrome: a multicentre, randomised, prospective, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase 3 study.

BACKGROUND:
National Institutes of Health (NIH) category III prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CP/CPPS) is a prevalent condition for which no standardised treatment exists.
OBJECTIVES:
To assess the safety and efficacy of a standardised pollen extract in men with inflammatory CP/CPPS.
DESIGN, SETTING, AND PARTICIPANTS:
We conducted a multicentre, prospective, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase 3 study comparing the pollen extract (Cernilton) to placebo in men with CP/CPPS (NIH IIIA) attending urologic centres.
INTERVENTION:
Participants were randomised to receive oral capsules of the pollen extract (two capsules q8h) or placebo for 12 wk.
MEASUREMENTS:
The primary endpoint of the study was symptomatic improvement in the pain domain of the NIH Chronic Prostatitis Symptom Index (NIH-CPSI). Participants were evaluated using the NIH-CPSI individual domains and total score, the number of leukocytes in post-prostatic massage urine (VB3), the International Prostate Symptom Score (IPSS), and the sexuality domain of a life satisfaction questionnaire at baseline and after 6 and 12 wk.
RESULTS AND LIMITATIONS:
In the intention-to-treat analysis, 139 men were randomly allocated to the pollen extract (n=70) or placebo (n=69). The individual domains pain (p=0.0086) and quality of life (QoL; p=0.0250) as well as the total NIH-CPSI score (p=0.0126) were significantly improved after 12 wk of treatment with pollen extract compared to placebo. Response, defined as a decrease of the NIH-CPSI total score by at least 25% or at least 6 points, was seen in the pollen extract versus placebo group in 70.6% and 50.0% (p=0.0141), respectively. Adverse events were minor in all patients studied.
CONCLUSIONS:
Compared to placebo, the pollen extract significantly improved total symptoms, pain, and QoL in patients with inflammatory CP/CPPS without severe side-effects.

Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:46 pm

Thanks Chris.

Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:37 pm

It is possible to reduce inflammatory problems just through diet. Mediterranean cuisine varies by region and has a range of definitions, but is largely based on vegetables, fruits, nuts, beans, cereal grains, olive oil and fish. Red meat is not included as part of this diet or limited to only a few times a month. Red wine is encouraged in small amounts, like one glass per day.

Objectives We studied the effect of the Mediterranean diet on plasma levels of C-reactive protein (CRP), white blood cell counts, interleukin (IL)-6, tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-alpha, amyloid A, fibrinogen, and homocysteine.

Background To the best of our knowledge, the mechanism(s) by which the Mediterranean diet reduces cardiovascular risk are not well understood.

Methods During the 2001 to 2002 period, we randomly enrolled 1,514 men (18 to 87 years old) and 1,528 women (18 to 89 years old) from the Attica area of Greece (of these, 5% of men and 3% of women were excluded because of a history of cardiovascular disease). Among several factors, adherence to the Mediterranean diet was assessed by a diet score that incorporated the inherent characteristics of this diet. Higher values of the score meant closer adherence to the Mediterranean diet.

Results Participants who were in the highest tertile of the diet score had, on average, 20% lower CRP levels (p = 0.015), 17% lower IL-6 levels (p = 0.025), 15% lower homocysteine levels (p = 0.031), 14% lower white blood cell counts (p = 0.001), and 6% lower fibrinogen levels (p = 0.025), as compared with those in the lowest tertile. The findings remained significant even after various adjustments were made. Borderline associations were found regarding TNF-alpha (p = 0.076), amyloid A levels (p = 0.19), and diet score.

Conclusions Adherence to the traditional Mediterranean diet was associated with a reduction in the concentrations of inflammation and coagulation markers. This may partly explain the beneficial actions of this diet on the cardiovascular system.

Tue May 03, 2016 9:40 am

I added lentils to my diet two weeks ago and brown rice yesterday.

Tue May 03, 2016 5:09 pm

This paper suggests that inflammation in the central nervous system contributes towards chronic prostatitis. Attenuating this process with minocycline reduced pain levels in mice. They have proposed a model for how this happens in a figure. I think this may help explain why chronic prostatitis is co-morbid with other conditions that involve CNS hyper sensitisation like fibro and other neuropathic pains. This is obviously not a human study so we don't know how reliable it is, but it is interesting.

BACKGROUND

The pathogenesis of chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome is unknown and factors including the host's immune response and the nervous system have been attributed to the development of CP/CPPS. We previously demonstrated that mast cells and chemokines such as CCL2 and CCL3 play an important role in mediating prostatitis. Here, we examined the role of neuroinflammation and microglia in the CNS in the development of chronic pelvic pain.

METHODS

Experimental autoimmune prostatitis (EAP) was induced using a subcutaneous injection of rat prostate antigen. Sacral spinal cord tissue (segments S14–S5) was isolated and utilized for immunofluorescence or QRT-PCR analysis. Tactile allodynia was measured at baseline and at various points during EAP using Von Frey fibers as a function for pelvic pain. EAP mice were treated with minocycline after 30 days of prostatitis to test the efficacy of microglial inhibition on pelvic pain.

RESULTS

Prostatitis induced the expansion and activation of microglia and the development of inflammation in the spinal cord as determined by increased expression levels of CCL3, IL-1β, Iba1, and ERK1/2 phosphorylation. Microglial activation in mice with prostatitis resulted in increased expression of P2X4R and elevated levels of BDNF, two molecular markers associated with chronic pain. Pharmacological inhibition of microglia alleviated pain in mice with prostatitis and resulted in decreased expression of IL-1β, P2X4R, and BDNF.

CONCLUSION

Our data show that prostatitis leads to inflammation in the spinal cord and the activation and expansion of microglia, mechanisms that may contribute to the development and maintenance of chronic pelvic pain. Prostate 75:50–59, 2015. © 2014 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.

Figure 6.

Multiple factors lead to the development of pain in prostatitis. Our proposed model of neuropathic pain development in mice with prostatitis. Prostatitis induces expression of many proinflammatory cytokines, leading to increased sensitivity and activation of neurons in the DRG. Activated neurons in the DRG release neurotransmitters that activate microglia and induces inflammation in the spinal cord. Activated microglia send pain signals to the brain via BDNF and may contribute to the disruption in the blood-spinal cord barrier, allowing for an influx of leukocytes that may further contribute to inflammation and pain development in the spinal cord.

Tue May 17, 2016 3:56 am

I think some cases of prostatitis are similar to rheumatoid arthritis. In this paper they find omega3 oils and a vegetarian diet helped reduced inflammation in arthritis patients significantly.

Patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) improve on a vegetarian diet or supplementation with fish oil. We investigated the effects of both dietary measures, alone and in combination, on inflammation, fatty acid composition of erythrocyte lipids, eicosanoids, and cytokine biosynthesis in patients with RA.

Methods. Sixty-eight patients with definitive RA were matched into two groups of 34 subjects each. One group was observed for 8 months on a normal western diet (WD) and the other on an anti-inflammatory diet (AID) providing an arachidonic acid intake of less than 90 mg/day. Patients in both groups were allocated to receive placebo or fish oil capsules (30 mg/kg body weight) for 3 months in a double-blind crossover study with a 2-month washout period between treatments. Clinical examination and routine laboratory findings were evaluated every month, and erythrocyte fatty acids, eicosanoids, and cytokines were evaluated before and after each 3-month experimental period.

Results. Sixty patients completed the study. In AID patients, but not in WD patients, the numbers of tender and swollen joints decreased by 14% during placebo treatment. In AID patients, as compared to WD patients, fish oil led to a significant reduction in the numbers of tender (28% vs 11%) and swollen (34% vs 22%) joints (P<0.01). Compared to baseline levels, higher enrichment of eicosapentaenoic acid in erythrocyte lipids (244% vs 217%) and lower formation of leukotriene B4 (34% vs 8%, P>0.01), 11-dehydro-thromboxane B2 (15% vs 10%, P<0.05), and prostaglandin metabolites (21% vs 16%, P<0.003) were found in AID patients, especially when fish oil was given during months 6–8 of the experiment.

Conclusion. A diet low in arachidonic acid ameliorates clinical signs of inflammation in patients with RA and augments the beneficial effect of fish oil supplementation.

Mon May 30, 2016 1:44 pm

Do you know which was the diet that proved to be beneficial?

Western Diet couldn't be worse. Probably any dietary intervention is going to be beneficial.

Mon May 30, 2016 4:32 pm

They seem to aim towards a mostly vegetarian diet with fish oil (high omega3 epa/dha) included. They argue this is because animal produce is high in Arachidonic acid which increases inflammatory prostaglandin. Personally I am eating mostly vegetarian with a bit of wild salmon or tuna thrown in now and again, and I am feeling better and I am not fat because I have reduced excess carbs and other rubbish.

Arachidonic acid (AA) present in cell phospholipids is the precursor of proinflammatory eicosanoids, and supplementation with arachidonic acid results in stimulated prostaglandin (PG) formation [2, 3]. Western diets (WD) are high in AA, which derives exclusively from nutrients of animal origin [4, 5, 6]. N-3 fatty acids from fish oil inhibit cytokine and eicosanoid formation by competing with n-6 fatty acids for incorporation in cell phospholipids and for the binding sites of cyclo-oxygenase and lipoxygenase [7, 8, 9, 10]

Patients on the anti-inflammatory diet (AID), a modified lacto-vegetarian diet, consumed only plant-derived fats and oils, no egg yolk, and dairy products with reduced fat. To reduce AA intake to <90 mg per day, meat intake was limited to a maximum of two servings of 120 g per week (Table 3).

Tue May 31, 2016 3:44 am

Take this from someone eho has done it all seen it all and researched it all.......

Chronic inflammation of prostate is the root cause of prostatitis. Many times bacteria dont even show up in tests. But its caused by bacteria. No such thing as non bacterial. Bacteria cause chronic inflammation of prostate. Chronic inflammation causes tight pelvuc floor muscles as a downstream effect. Pressure based massages as done by Dr Georgiadis clear prostate inflammation thereby removing muscular dysfunction of pelvic floor permanently. Stanford protocol does not work long term as its dealing temporarily with a downstream effect.

The only other thing that could cause symptoms similliar to prostatitis is missligned veterbrea \ pelvis because of an atlas subluxation. Having your atlas adjusted by someone who does Atlas orthogonal or nucca may realign and balance pelvis thereby removing muscular tensions in pelvic floor. Working directly on the pelvis by way of sacroilliac joint etc may not hold if the atlas is subluxated. Atlas aligned all rest of skeletons aligns by itself usually.

Tue May 31, 2016 6:37 am

Quote:
Take this from someone eho has done it all seen it all and researched it all.......

That's not a good way to start, because it just isn't true and you sound egotistical.

Some people come on here claiming bacteria is always the cause, that is a pretty one sided view. There are many of us whose prostatitis did not start after a sexual encounter and plenty of people who find complete solutions that strongly suggest non bacterial exists. How common it is, I just don't know and I don't think you do either.

Tue May 31, 2016 9:28 am

Im not going to get into am argument with you. Take it and have benefit or dont. There are many who have come to same conclusions after years of trial and error and speaking to worlds top doctors.

Tue May 31, 2016 10:13 am

I'm also very skeptical about the so called "non-bacterial prostatitis". Maybe the prostate can be infected by other microorganisms such as fungus or protozoa but anyway is an infection. I think that this is an example of the too much "scientific" mind having problems and limitations. I mean, just because they can't isolate bacterias with a culture that doesn't mean that there aren't.

My symptoms are typical of an infection. I can tell it by the way it burns when I ejaculate. But to many scientificist doctors, who only believe in "objective data" and usually think that the "patient" claims are not reliable, you have not an infection if the culture come negative. They forget that thare are a thing called false negative in science. I have had false negatives in several cultures I have made but the enterococcus faecalis has appeared 3 times also. Imagine I do one culture only and it appears as negative, will they conclude that it's non-bacterial?

Humility is required in the medical community. They need to do more research and admit they don't know instead of creating stupid names for a condition they don't understand. And of course, listen to the patient symptoms carefuly, because "subjective" or not, they are part of the tools to diagnose something.

The last urologist I've visited gave me one month of augmentin and fosfomycin. I said that I haven't improved and he started to talk about non-bacterial prostatitis, stenosis, etc... I asked if it can be that the antibiotics didn't entered well into the prostate and he said that augmentin enters properly in it. I can't get it. First he say that the faecalis is the culprit and when I don't get cured by simply taking antibiotics he change the speech to non-bacterial prostatitis? (Which means to me a way to run away from the problem).

I have been in the laboratory today to get new cultures done. I don't know if it will be another false negative or if the bacteria will appear again but I'm sure that the bacterial infection is still there, I can tell it by the symptoms. But you know, that is not "science", it's "subjective", they only believe the numbers and the data till the extreme that we are also numbers.

We need more knowledge and wisdom and less psychopathic science.

I would visit a serious doctor like that guy from Greece but I have not that money. I believe that they must look for the way to make sensitive antibiotics enter in the prostate in good amounts. Massage or injections if the first doesn't work. I will ask here, in Spain, if someone can do that kind of treatment but it's very improbable. I feel quite helpless.

Tue May 31, 2016 1:16 pm

Thanks Chris85 for the additional details about the diet of the experiment.

Tue May 31, 2016 2:26 pm

http://prostatitis.org/redirect.php?lin ... -Weil.html

Not all fish oil products are equal, take high epa and dha capsules. Avoid omega6 supplementation because it increases inflammation. I take high strength omega3 capsules and I can tell my brain works better when I do that, and I think my inflammation is less.

Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:31 pm

I dont beleive in "non-bacterial" prostatitis either,there is an infection there and it its not necesserily from sex.Its very hard to find what bacterias are infecting ur prostate and to be honest it doesnt really matter,because oral antibiotics simply cant penetrate the prostate,they help and then relapse and at the same time you are destroying ur gut and body from antibiotics.Ive taken Ciproxin a few times and man does it make me feel like crap,Its poison and im pretty sure it screwed up my right leg,i got a knee pain ever since i took it last time.I live in athens-greece,and i visited Dr.Georgiadis,He is a really nice guy and knows exactly what we are going through.He really cares and although he is very busy he is still patient.He checked me out and told me i must do massage therapy along with oral antibiotics for a month or two,then injections if needed.He massaged my prostate for about a minute and i immediately felt some releif from pain both from my prostate and my pelvis.He knows how to work his hands.Im taking a break from antibiotics because i just finished a month cycle (which was totally useless),but will start therapy sooner or later.I beleive if Georgiadis cant cure me,then ill move on to surgery,Ill keep you guys posted when i start treatment.

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:37 pm

I personally suspect a lot from a guy who copy and paste the same message in two different threads. Maybe Dr. Georgiadis needs some propaganda?

Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:13 am

I'm just sharing my experience,and I haven't started the therapy yet..so why would I be doing propaganda

Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:45 am

What you are doing is called spamming. Why do you copy and paste the same post talking well about that doctor? It seems to me like propaganda.

Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:02 am

I'm sorry you feel that way,I typed both message's no copy paste and I'm just excited that I might finally get cured. I'll stick to one thread from now on.

Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:32 am

I think we can be almost certain that non bacterial prostatitis exists, just read this message board enough. There are also papers that support this general idea:

http://prostatitis.org/redirect.php?lin ... 3/_article

There are others too.

Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:34 am

I disagree,there is no such thing as non-bacterial,there is bacteria there but sometimes it's impossible to find it. There might be some connection with rheumatoid arthritis or stress.

Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:43 am

Vinny, you will find many stories where men have cured prostatitis using zero antibiotics, focusing on PT, and stretching. You can never be too sure! It's best to consider both possibilities and treat it both ways for awhile. as mentioned in a earlier post, I used organic garlic, colloidal silver, nascent iodine, Cipro, Pau d' arco, burdock root tincture, and a few others for close to 4 months straight, with prostate massage and achieved nothing. Now that I've gave up fighting an invincible infection, I've made much more progress. Many of my symptoms have changed for the better. Saying there's no such thing as non bacteria prostatitis is risky, what if your prostatitis is caused by a bladder neck obstruction or stricture? you will never know because you're only focused on an infection, see what i'm saying? Like i said you can never be too sure, whatever is wrong with us if far more complex then we think.

Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next