Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Xifaxan 

Post Xifaxan
Xifaxan seems to be helping me so far, this is day two. My SIBO/IBS issues are reducing greatly, kidney issues as well. Prostate is doing alright today also, I'm hoping this is what's going on with me. I was prescribed 550MG three times per day.

Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:16 pm

Post Re: Xifaxan
Glad that you are doing better. Keep updating.

Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:29 am

Inflamed wrote:
Xifaxan seems to be helping me so far, this is day two. My SIBO/IBS issues are reducing greatly, kidney issues as well. Prostate is doing alright today also, I'm hoping this is what's going on with me. I was prescribed 550MG three times per day.

Yes - it helped my Gut IBS issues and heartburn. Prostate is about 80% better. I do have a flare now and then, when I get stressed out or eat dairy or sugar.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:31 pm

Bill-john, what about butter? Is it also a trigger or can it be considered safe?

Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:05 pm

jaumeb wrote:
Bill-john, what about butter? Is it also a trigger or can it be considered safe?

I don't eat much butter. But it is a dairy product.

I just know for myself when I eat dairy products, or drink milk, I get a phlegmy feeling in my sinuses and my stomach hurts, and it constipates me.

I try to stay very low sugar, eat vegetables, salad with vinegar and oil dressing, brown rice, sweet potatoes, oatmeal or eggs for breakfast (No white potatoes or white rice), fruit, chicken and fish. And when I do it bread or toast, I use udi's gluten free bread.

WHen I adhere to the diet, and keep my total daily calorie intake in the 1500 range, I feel better - not bloated and have more energy.

Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:15 pm

bill_johnstl wrote:
jaumeb wrote:

I don't eat much butter. But it is a dairy product.

I just know for myself when I eat dairy products, or drink milk, I get a phlegmy feeling in my sinuses and my stomach hurts, and it constipates me.

I try to stay very low sugar, eat vegetables, salad with vinegar and oil dressing, brown rice, sweet potatoes, oatmeal or eggs for breakfast (No white potatoes or white rice), fruit, chicken and fish. And when I do it bread or toast, I use udi's gluten free bread.

WHen I adhere to the diet, and keep my total daily calorie intake in the 1500 range, I feel better - not bloated and have more energy.

Thanks for the extra information. Do white rice and white potatoes trigger your symptoms? I read conflicting information about those.

Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:24 am

Is Xifaxan a common drug defense for prostatitis?

Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:35 pm

It's an antibiotic that only acts in the guts for treating SIBO (Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth) but it seems that in some cases that is related to the prostatitis. I tried it a few days ago (because I'm also suffering mild digestive problems) for 10 days and it didn't work in my case.

Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:36 pm

Darn sorry to hear that

Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:30 pm

I'm taking it now as well, I've got about 6 days left. It seems to help with my IBS issues, the only prostate issue I have is that it's difficult to begin peeing (hesitancy), and a weak stream. I also have urethritis from time to time, but I am thinking that could be interstitial cystitis as I've seen what looks like tiny skin flakes in my urine.

Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:56 pm

Inflamed wrote:
I'm taking it now as well, I've got about 6 days left. It seems to help with my IBS issues, the only prostate issue I have is that it's difficult to begin peeing (hesitancy), and a weak stream. I also have urethritis from time to time, but I am thinking that could be interstitial cystitis as I've seen what looks like tiny skin flakes in my urine.

Inflamed, do you continue with the vsl3?

Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:02 am

Yeah, but I'm taking a break from it now due to xifaxan. VSL3 is expensive and I don't want to waste it. I will probably add a cheap vitamin shoppe probiotic while I take the remainder of the course. I am doing florastor though, to prevent xifaxan diarrhea.

Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:24 am

Inflamed wrote:
Yeah, but I'm taking a break from it now due to xifaxan. VSL3 is expensive and I don't want to waste it. I will probably add a cheap vitamin shoppe probiotic while I take the remainder of the course. I am doing florastor though, to prevent xifaxan diarrhea.

Thanks Inflamed for the details. I wonder if water kefir could be a cheaper alternative to vsl3.

Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:27 am

It couldn't hurt. I read online that the best way to repopulate your gut inexpensively is to make your own yogurt at home. I'm not exactly sure how that's done as I've not looked into it, but it's probably not difficult. Most of the kefir here is loaded with sugar, so that makes me think that it kind of invalidates the good bacteria added to it...as it would also fuel candida and everything else.

Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:13 pm

Inflamed wrote:
It couldn't hurt. I read online that the best way to repopulate your gut inexpensively is to make your own yogurt at home. I'm not exactly sure how that's done as I've not looked into it, but it's probably not difficult. Most of the kefir here is loaded with sugar, so that makes me think that it kind of invalidates the good bacteria added to it...as it would also fuel candida and everything else.

I prepared yogurt at home using neighbor's goat milk and 24 hours fermentation. Now I believe dairy can be a trigger. A friend told me he stopped homemade milk kefir because it was worsening his cpps. Water kefir is completely different but also risky. It could be also a trigger and we just don't know at this point.

Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:55 pm

I wonder...maybe it's not the good bacteria that causes it cpps to flare...maybe it's the herxheimer effect? It'd be interesting to take a strong probiotic, wait a few hours and take a charcoal. I am doing that with xifaxan. Take one in the morning, wait 6-8 hours, charcoal, then 8 hours later xifaxan.

Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:08 am

Inflamed wrote:
I wonder...maybe it's not the good bacteria that causes it cpps to flare...maybe it's the herxheimer effect? It'd be interesting to take a strong probiotic, wait a few hours and take a charcoal. I am doing that with xifaxan. Take one in the morning, wait 6-8 hours, charcoal, then 8 hours later xifaxan.

Yes, that is a possibility. I tried the charcoal some years ago.

Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:39 am

What is the charcoal for in this case?

I have been taking ampicillin for one day and I'm having one of the worst flare-ups. Ampicillin is 100% effective against the faecalis, the problem is that it seems that it penetrates the prostate poorly. Maybe it's that effect and I could damage a little the bacteria and they are spreading toxins?

Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:15 pm

Activated charcoal can be used for die-off or gas. It may work for some people.

Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:14 pm

Charcoal removes toxins and medication from the body. When antibiotics kill bacteria whether it's good bacteria, or bad bacteria, the bacteria releases die off toxins which place extra stress on the body's systems to remove those toxins. Charcoal capsules remove the toxins. Taken with antibiotics is not a good thing to do, but in my case with sibo, it could be helpful because I'm only targeting bacteria in the small intestine. It takes 6-8 hours for food or medication to make it to the large intestine. So I take xifaxan, wait 8 hours, charcoal, 8 more hours xifaxan, repeat. That way it spares my kidneys and liver the extra effort and doesn't nuke the bacteria in the large intestine. At least, that's my theory. I could be wrong, but with a kidney condition, I have to be careful with everything and charcoal had been proven to help kidney function by decreasing creatinine in the blood.

Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]