Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 PSA Scores 

Post PSA Scores
Hey guys, was just thinking it might be a good idea for us to compare PSA scores along with symptoms so we can get a clear picture as to whether or not there's a definite correlation between those values and prostatitis. I know mine is around 1.6 when everything is normal. Right now I'm at 2.5 on the last check, still suffering from hesitancy and infrequent bouts of low to medium inflammation.

What are everyone else's values at?

Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:30 pm

Post Re: PSA Scores
I've had mine tested twice since this started (once in fall of 2015 and once just last month) - both times the value was 0.4.

ETA - my symptoms continue to be mild inflammation with flareups for a day or two following ejaculation. Never have had any urination issues aside from slight burning.

Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:59 pm

My PSA score has always been around 1 and has been unaffected by prostatitis. I understand that is not typical.

Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:54 pm

Had mine checked a few weeks ago. It was 0.88. Totally normal and doctor said my prostate felt normal after the DRE. I guess that's good news, but only makes this condition more confusing.

Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:32 pm

At it's worst, mine was 2.8, then it bounced down to 2.4 when I was on the anti-candida / anti-food allergy diet. Then I fell off the wagon and it's now at 2.5. This kind of freaks me a out a little bit, as Satch's was 2.6 when he had his prostatectomy. I'm only 39 also.

Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:32 pm

Inflamed wrote:
Hey guys, was just thinking it might be a good idea for us to compare PSA scores along with symptoms so we can get a clear picture as to whether or not there's a definite correlation between those values and prostatitis. I know mine is around 1.6 when everything is normal. Right now I'm at 2.5 on the last check, still suffering from hesitancy and infrequent bouts of low to medium inflammation.

What are everyone else's values at?

First PSA check ever at age 45 (2005) was 3.9 (no symptoms) -- maybe had IBS symptoms(Irritable Bowel Syndrome) Then PSA dropped to mid 2's and stayed there with little to no symptoms between 2005 and 2010.

6 years later with Horrible prostatitis symptoms in 2011 PSA was in the Mid 7's had biopsies , Ct scans, Cystoscopies, xrays, Cultures etc etc No Cancer, bacteria or inflamation found -- between 2011 and 2016- PSA bounced between mid 3's to 5.8.

Last PSA draw in Sept 2016 PSA was at 2.3 - Very mild to no symptoms. Prior to Sept 2016 took xifaxin and was treated for Gut bacteria. - My thinking is Prostatitis is caused by a low level undetectable infection that somehow is linked to gut bacteria.

Due for another PSA check in the next few weeks. Hope the PSA has stayed in the 2's or 3's.

Multiple Uro's I have seen say I have a mildly enlarged prostate. - CT Scan report said my prostate size was on the upper limits of normal size. -- whatever that means.

Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:09 pm

I am aware of an elderly man (over 90) with a PSA of 17 yet no cancer was found, including via imaging using a Doppler TRUS looking for inappropriate vascularization. OTOH my PSA has always been around 1, yet when I had a radical TURP they found some stage 1a cancer (according to the pathology report they got it all, hopefully that is true). So the only good thing I can say about the PSA is it is easy and cheap if you are getting blood work done anyway. Just don't expect that readout to be definitive either way.

Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]