Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Candida 

Post Candida
Guys,

I have been on antibiotics for ten months and know I have a candida issue also.

I have read the articles on the site about candida and prostatitis and am just confused, My symptoms started after sex with a new girlfriend and that is why I have always suspected bacteria along with a positive Enterrococus culture.

Just unsure what is causing what,

Has anyone had a positive candida diagnosis.

Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:39 am

Post Re: Candida
I had a candida overgrowth in a stool test. And I suspect that CPPS is somehow connected to fungal overgrowth.

I also have some minor fungal skin and nail lesions.

S. Boulardii (florastor) protects (to some extent) from C. Diff. and yeast overgrowth. Imho, antibiotics should be used only when strictly needed and always in combination with boulardii.

The fungal overgrowth problem, just like cpps, is confusing. For many, it is a self resolving problem. For others it seems that absolutely nothing can solve the it.

Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:11 am

I asked about fungal infections as a possibility and was told they would have shown up in the urine/semen culture if they were present.

Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:06 am

Fungal prostatitis can happen but is rare compared to the bacterial version. From http://europepmc.org/abstract/med/25141493:
Quote:
Fungal prostatitis often appears in patients with impaired immunity and can also be rarely found in healthy patients. It can result from a disseminated infection, but it can also be localized. ... Diagnosis is commonly made by fine needle aspiration cytology or by biopsy. A number of fungi can be involved. Although there are not many reported cases, they are becoming more frequent, in particular in patients with some degree of immunodeficiency or those who live in areas where specific fungi are endemic or in visitors of those areas.

Not

Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:25 pm

JoeW wrote:
Fungal prostatitis can happen but is rare compared to the bacterial version. From http://europepmc.org/abstract/med/25141493:
Quote:
Fungal prostatitis often appears in patients with impaired immunity and can also be rarely found in healthy patients. It can result from a disseminated infection, but it can also be localized. ... Diagnosis is commonly made by fine needle aspiration cytology or by biopsy. A number of fungi can be involved. Although there are not many reported cases, they are becoming more frequent, in particular in patients with some degree of immunodeficiency or those who live in areas where specific fungi are endemic or in visitors of those areas.

Not

that would be interesting to ready, i also wonder about the chance of a fungal infection and in that case what would be the best way to approach resolving the issue?

Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:24 pm

This is a paper about antifungal treatment for cpps. I think there is a wide gap between papers and reality, but I share it anyway.

http://prostatitis.org/redirect.php?lin ... MC3936149/

Antifungals were a part of the "Manila Protocol" but that was not the solution to cpps either.

What I've seen in the forums is that cpps does not respond to antifungals in general.

Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:50 am

Hey look 10 months on antibiotics that doesn't sound sensible, unless your doctor is telling you to do that, I think it's a really bad idea and could cause more problems. Yeah maybe you have fungal overgrowth because of long term antibiotics., bacteria are in there for a reason.

Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:25 pm

That is an interesting paper. I wonder if anyone else have confirmed that result.

Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:14 pm

Not going to take the antibiotics today, terrified, can't go back to the pain when it was unbearable

Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:34 am

Taking long term antibiotics for pain relief is pretty crazy, what about NSAIDs? I suppose you tried those? There are a lot of other drugs for pain relief.......

Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:20 am

Hey Chris,

Not taking them for pain relief per se, more for the infection that I am convinced is causing the pain. We shall see, really leaning towards getting it removed.

Chris

Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:06 pm

Satch, did you investigate the interstitial cystitis angle yet?

Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:28 pm

Oh I see, well if it is an infection then if those antibiotics worked then don't you think they would have done the job by now? Normal time is one month in the UK, but I have read on here sometimes people take them for a few months and it works, but never ten months.

Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]