Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Success With Chinese Medicine 

Post Success With Chinese Medicine
I've had chronic bacterial prostatitis since about 2003. I'm 46 years old. I've had varying success with antibiotics. Sometimes asymptomatic in a week; once it took 3 months of trial and error with a handful of different meds. Finally arrived at Levofloxacin, which worked great, and I used it for 2 or 3 subsequent flare-ups. Problem is, I learned too late that this is very strong stuff (really designed for life-threatening illness like pneumonia) with serious side effects including permanent nerve damage. (Stubborn thing about prostate infection is that it's difficult for many meds to penetrate the prostate tissues. Fluorine in the fluoroquinolones takes care of that, but fluorine is also highly toxic.) Still being diagnosed for extreme cold sensation in feet, so jury is out whether it's related to the quinolone (a class which includes Cipro and others). But I will never take this class of antibiotic again, which limits my effective options. FDA had to strengthen its warning, and there are many lawyers specializing in quinolone toxicity litigation. Draw your own conclusions. Which brings me to alternative medicine. I live in Los Angeles, so thankfully there's an abundance of Chinese herb shops. I went to one recommended on Yelp when I had a flare-up about three months ago. The deal is, you see the doctor in the back room (he's just there, waiting for patients), describe your symptoms, he writes you an herb prescription, you pay him $15 and proceed to the herb counter where they fill your prescription. We're talking about big, heat-sealed baggies of hand-selected herbs, roots, seeds, pods, twigs (as if you'd reached down and grabbed a handful from the forest floor). You boil this down in a large tea pot to a strong, concentrated tea. Drink twice a day for three days. I have no idea what's in it; the prescription is in Chinese. I felt noticeably better within a day, completely asymptomatic by the time I finished the 3-day course. And urine flow was dramatically improved. I used it for a subsequent flare-up with the same result. I can't say it will work for you, but if you're frustrated, hopeless and leery of antibiotics, and you live within even a few hours of a Chinatown, it might be worth exploring. My herb bags were $11 each (x3), and I invested $14 in the special tea pot. If any of you have experience with herbs, I would be interested to hear. Personally, I'll be heading straight for the herb shop when the next episode strikes. Best wishes to you all!

Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:14 pm

Post Re: Success With Chinese Medicine
It would be interesting to know the names of those herbs. Congrats for your success.

Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]