Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 25  Next
 My story, chronic prostatitis associated with weak orgasms 

Post Re: My story, chronic prostatitis associated with weak orgas
I'd have little confidence that only a 14 day dose of augmentin would help out. Maybe at least set something up with your doctor so that if you notice any improvement that he be ready to extend the length - or at least go 4wks and then check in.

That said I'm going on my 5th week of augmentin for bacteria that was showed to be susceptible to it and I have absolutely no improvement from it. Crossing my fingers that you have better luck.

Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:03 pm

I'll try going to the general doctor and seeing if he can prescribe me two more weeks of augmentin. The Tamsulosin treatment was also intended for one month so that will make both of them last the same time. I'm having dry ejaculations and burning stings in the urethra when urinating (I don't know if that is good, I want to think that the bacterias are getting out through the urethra in bigger amounts due to the combination of the two drugs). I have read that the dry ejaculations go back to normality when the treatment is stopped so I'm going to bear that a few weeks (the orgasms sucks anyway, with semen and without it).

I'm skeptic about the cystoscopy and I don't like the idea of inserting a cable in my urethra but I think I should do it at least once to discard a stenosis or other problems. My urine flow fluctuates, sometimes is quite normal but sometimes is weak so I don't know. Specially after ejaculating sometimes it takes time for the urine to get out and it comes in a weak flow and burning.

Thanks for your support. I'll keep searching and reporting about the evolution of my case and hoping that one day I can come here and say "I got better! This is working! The problem was...".

Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:21 am

Something I forgot to mention.

I always have found strange that the smell that the glans fluid normally has when arousing was missing all the time this condition has lasted. My glans doesn't smell even if it's wet. I wonder if some fluid that causes that peculiar smell is getting stuck or simply doesn't being made. When I took the other day one single pill of tamsulosin and the ejaculations came back after the dry orgasms I had a few days that the smell was back. I wonder what is the explanation to this phenomenon. The orgasms also were a little better a few days, so I think that there is a link. Ironically, the smell disappeared again when I started the antibiotic treatment. Any similar experiences or clues?

Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:32 am

Due to the pain you have mentioned, I would suggest you consider the option of being sedated for the cystoscopy. I would say mine was just "unpleasant" , not painful, but you have a lot of urethral burning and I don't. That would probably hurt like hell. For me, it just felt really weird and a lot of pressure when the catheter passed through my prostate.

Past Treatments: 6x Heparin bladder Injection. Elmiron (2x daily), Meriva Curcumin (500mg 2x daily), Physio (good!), Vistaril, Uro Prostate Massage (helpful!), Flower Pollen, Antibiotics (for about a month),

Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:15 am

Chavalote,

Hello, I am new here and just registered. I felt the need to reply because I have the exact same symptoms as you. Weak libido, no sensation during orgasm, etc.

I have had this for three years and have tried it all: diet, exercise, meditation, TRE, trigger points, physical therapy, rolfing, chiropractor, etc.

My theory behind all of this: The pain, sexual dysfunction, urinary symptoms, everything are all caused by tight pelvic floor muscles.

It's important to understand that there is nothing wrong with the pelvic floor, it is simply tight because other muscles are not doing their job so the pelvic floor must do it.

I am going to begin a program called "Restorative Exercise" by Katy Bowman. It is an exercise program that gets your body working correctly again by doing a lot of barefoot walking and strengthening the muscles that help the pelvic floor like the glutes and hamstrings.

I will report back here with my results after a month.

Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:39 pm

Fantom,

Being totally sedated is something that scares me even more. They say that they use a gel that anesthetize the urethra but I don't know. It's hard to me to believe that a simple gel would prevent you from feeling pain or discomfort.

Alexander,

I don't know what are your exact symptoms but mine are to me difficult to associate with a simple muscle tension. How can that explain the burning when having an orgasm? How can that explain the itchy sensation around the penis base and the scrotum? How can that explain the changes in the semen nature (watery semen, solid chunks...)? How can that explain the difficulty to get sexually aroused and having a normal erection? How can that explain the loss of sexual pleasure? How can be that related to the 4 bacterias they already have found in my semen? This feels to me like an infection.

I have been 11 days on augmentin combined with tamsulosin but no improvements. Almost no sexual pleasure, burning orgasms (if I can call that actually an orgasm), (sometimes dry due to the tamsulosin), difficulty getting and maintaining an erection, no arousal... I quit the tamsulosin from today because sometimes it makes me feel very bad, like dizzy and with nausea, and the dry orgasms are particularly annoying and weak.

Why all of these treatments are not working? Why they found a different bacteria every time I make a culture? Still with no answers and quite hopeless. I can't imagine the day when I can masturbate as always, have normal erections, normal sexual pleasure, no burning, no itchy sensations, no too hot loose scrotum... and normal orgasms with normal semen. I think that doctors are missing something important.

Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:12 am

Quote:
Being totally sedated is something that scares me even more. They say that they use a gel that anesthetize the urethra but I don't know. It's hard to me to believe that a simple gel would prevent you from feeling pain or discomfort.

They won't totally sedate you, it will just be a light sedation. You'll likely wake up within minutes after the procedure. You'd be groggy though, and probably can't drive yourself home. I would ask your doctor's recommendation on that but judging how much pain you are in, I'd probably go with the sedation option.

Quote:
I don't know what are your exact symptoms but mine are to me difficult to associate with a simple muscle tension. How can that explain the burning when having an orgasm? How can that explain the itchy sensation around the penis base and the scrotum? How can that explain the changes in the semen nature (watery semen, solid chunks...)? How can that explain the difficulty to get sexually aroused and having a normal erection? How can that explain the loss of sexual pleasure? How can be that related to the 4 bacterias they already have found in my semen? This feels to me like an infection.

There's a really simple answer to all of your "How?" questions. The answer is: "Your Prostate is Inflamed". There COULD be but doesn't HAVE to be an infection for inflammation to occur. Remember, infection doesn't cause any symptoms in your body; your body reacts to infection with inflammation. In some cases, your body reacts to nothing with inflammation. There are many conditions that have similar properties. Example of another condition with no infection: Arthritis.

Past Treatments: 6x Heparin bladder Injection. Elmiron (2x daily), Meriva Curcumin (500mg 2x daily), Physio (good!), Vistaril, Uro Prostate Massage (helpful!), Flower Pollen, Antibiotics (for about a month),

Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:16 pm

Yes, but what about the 4 bacterias they have found in my semen?

Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:26 am

From experience I wouldn't expect to respond to antibiotics in less than 2 weeks.

I was also on Tamsulosin for 3 months, started along with a one month course of 2 antibiotics. These were all started on the same day that I had a prostate massage under general anaesthetic. I also disliked the Tamsulosin due to dizziness etc. and although I took it daily for a month, I then decided to reduce it to taking it every 2 days, which was more tolerable. So you might consider doing the same instead of stopping them.

However, I do think if anything the Tamsulosin stopped the antibiotics from working, as I had no benefit from the antibiotics or the prostate massage... but then my problem was later localised to one of my seminal vesicles on a MRI scan.

Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:18 pm

Maclondon wrote:
I was also on Tamsulosin for 3 months, ...

Did you have an enlarged prostate? Or, what was the hope with Tamsulosin? What I saw from a quick search is it's for an enlarged prostate (which is not mandatory to have CPPS)

Maclondon wrote:
However, I do think if anything the Tamsulosin stopped the antibiotics from working, as I had no benefit from the antibiotics or the prostate massage... but then my problem was later localised to one of my seminal vesicles on a MRI scan.

One prostate massage is not going to do anything. You're supposed to have 2-3 a week for at least 3 weeks I think is the minimum. The idea is to keep forcing antibiotics into the prostate.

Just a general statement: Low-levels of antibiotic are generally useless for killing bacteria. I'm not sure if reducing the dosage is a good idea, but that might vary on the type of antibiotic.

Not to change the subject, but what do you have to do in order to get a doctor to order an MRI scan? I have asked several times for this and get told that it's too much money and not going to show anything. Sounds like yours has shown some movement which to me is information that's good to know.

Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:51 pm

Fantom451 wrote:
Maclondon wrote:
I was also on Tamsulosin for 3 months, ...

Did you have an enlarged prostate? Or, what was the hope with Tamsulosin? What I saw from a quick search is it's for an enlarged prostate (which is not mandatory to have CPPS)

Maclondon wrote:

One prostate massage is not going to do anything. You're supposed to have 2-3 a week for at least 3 weeks I think is the minimum. The idea is to keep forcing antibiotics into the prostate.

Just a general statement: Low-levels of antibiotic are generally useless for killing bacteria. I'm not sure if reducing the dosage is a good idea, but that might vary on the type of antibiotic.

Not to change the subject, but what do you have to do in order to get a doctor to order an MRI scan? I have asked several times for this and get told that it's too much money and not going to show anything. Sounds like yours has shown some movement which to me is information that's good to know.

Not that this helps much, but my doc told me that a CT scan was more useful than an MRI for prostate screening. I haven't done any research to see if this is accurate though.

Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:01 pm

prostate454 wrote:
Not that this helps much, but my doc told me that a CT scan was more useful than an MRI for prostate screening. I haven't done any research to see if this is accurate though.

Oh, I was given the same answer for ALL radiology. I didn't just simply ask for an MRI, I asked to try anything just to get a picture. My newest doctor proceeded to tell me that I must be an engineer for wanting to see that. And "the only engineer worth his salt is a biological engineer; and even they aren't that great". So, needless to say I have never yet had radiology for this. They have no problem shoving catheters in my urethra time after time, though. This is Medical Science, after all.

Chav and prostate454: Have you had any radiology?

Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:26 pm

Maclondon,

Was that problem in the seminal vesicle an infection? I also suspect that I may have some problem in the seminal vesicles (specially in the left side one) but I wonder, if it is an infection why don't the antibiotics work?

Fantom,

I haven't had any radiology but I had an ultrasound that showed a normal prostate. At least I know that it's not enlarged.

The urologist, who was as substitute of the other that day, prescribed me tamsulosin when I talked about the weak/burning orgasms and I went with a clean culture results. He said that maybe the infection left some damage and the tamsulosin may help relaxing the prostate and calming the nerves, so my orgasm response would improve. He also said that if I'm still infected it also may help because it influences the nerves of the prostate and suppress the seminal fluid making and that is why it causes dry orgasms. "If there is no fluid in which grow the infection will disappear", he said. He is a quite young urologist so I thought he has advanced information. I asked him if combining tamsulosin with an antibiotic would help the antibiotic to penetrate better in the prostate and he said yes, but we didn't have an antibiogram at that point.

Then, I had a positive culture again (the substitute urologist prescribed me another culture to ensure). When I went to the urologist of always he prescribed augmentin and I decided to combine it with the tamsulosin but there were not significant changes. Even my libido and sexual sensations were worse, and the dry orgasms were annoying and scary.

I'm still taking the augmentin but I suspect that it isn't working. Why? I don't know. (I have taken the augmentin before for almost one month, for the enterococcus faecalis, the first bacteria they found in my semen, and even it hasn't appeared again I didn't feel any improvement).

The fact is that not only the orgasms, the pleasure before them is also almost gone. That made me think the other day in the prolactin theory again, because the feelings are very similar to what one feels during the refractory period. And I sometimes get a high prolactin in the blood analysis. I thought that maybe a prostate in constant refractory period gets forced when ejaculating and that is why it may get inflamed but then I thought in the days I was taking bromocriptine to lower the prolactin and I didn't feel significant improvements.

This is very weird. It's like if I'm in the refractory period always. Can a prostate infection or inflammation cause that? The thing that most frustrates me is that the urologists doesn't listen carefully to my symptoms explanation, they must think that I'm exagerating or that it's all in my mind. The substitute of the other day did listen to them but the tamsulosin didn't help. So I guess that his explanations of the cause were wrong.

I wonder also why I ejaculate solid chunks mixed with watery semen. The chunks are so solid that you can even grab them. This is not caused by dehydration because I usually drink a lot of water so what is the cause? Maybe this is a seminal vesicles problem? But what? Because if it were an infection the antibiotics should have helped, I think.

Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:20 am

Fantom451 wrote:
prostate454 wrote:

Oh, I was given the same answer for ALL radiology. I didn't just simply ask for an MRI, I asked to try anything just to get a picture. My newest doctor proceeded to tell me that I must be an engineer for wanting to see that. And "the only engineer worth his salt is a biological engineer; and even they aren't that great". So, needless to say I have never yet had radiology for this. They have no problem shoving catheters in my urethra time after time, though. This is Medical Science, after all.

Chav and prostate454: Have you had any radiology?

I had a CT scan last November and I have another one scheduled in two weeks. Apparently the first one shows a calcification but that's not conclusive for anything. Maybe the next one will be more definitive.

Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:28 pm

Thanks for the replies about Radiology, guys. Yeah, my doctor told me a calcification is just a historical record that inflammation was once inside the prostate. I guess it's kind of like scar tissue that's left behind. He felt mine during the prostate massage; we never did radiology.

I wonder if any radiology can show inflammation? Wouldn't an MRI do that? It'd be great if you could pinpoint where there's swelling/etc so you could get a better idea of what organ is actually damaged. In my case, I feel that it's a hard-to-reach part of the prostate (on your front side where it can't be reached through the rectum -- I think?) or possibly even bladder sphincter tissue or the bladder itself.

Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:42 pm

Fantom451 wrote:
Thanks for the replies about Radiology, guys. Yeah, my doctor told me a calcification is just a historical record that inflammation was once inside the prostate. I guess it's kind of like scar tissue that's left behind. He felt mine during the prostate massage; we never did radiology.

I wonder if any radiology can show inflammation? Wouldn't an MRI do that? It'd be great if you could pinpoint where there's swelling/etc so you could get a better idea of what organ is actually damaged. In my case, I feel that it's a hard-to-reach part of the prostate (on your front side where it can't be reached through the rectum -- I think?) or possibly even bladder sphincter tissue or the bladder itself.

Yes it should show inflammation. My CT scan showed my prostate inflammation last year though it was diagnosed as minor back then. It also showed a whole bunch check of random unrelated stuff like cysts on my liver and kidneys (normal stuff).

Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:09 am

Calcifications are a locus for biofilm formation. Biofilms protect bacteria from attack by white blood cells. Their role in prostatitis is well summarized at the prostatitisfacts website.

Also, you do not need complicated radiology to detect these. Calcifications show up very well in trans-rectal ultrasound. For those who have not had this, the probe is inserted into the rectum and placed atop the prostate. The sonogram shows up in real time. The operator can record images and zoom in on small areas as needed.

Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:58 pm

prostate454 wrote:
Yes it should show inflammation. My CT scan showed my prostate inflammation last year though it was diagnosed as minor back then. It also showed a whole bunch check of random unrelated stuff like cysts on my liver and kidneys (normal stuff).

Sounds like useful info. At least you can compare future CT Scans against it to see how things change over time/with treatment. Wish I could get a doc to recommend this for me.

JoeW wrote:
Calcifications are a locus for biofilm formation. Biofilms protect bacteria from attack by white blood cells. Their role in prostatitis is well summarized at the prostatitisfacts website.

Interesting, and contrary to what a doc told me previously that they do nothing at all.

JoeW wrote:
Also, you do not need complicated radiology to detect these.

I know. My doc felt it with his finger by pushing on the prostate. So, with the Trans-rectal Ultrasound showing the calcification, then what? Is there anything to do about it besides surgery on the prostate? I really don't want that if at all possible. Prostatitisfacts mentioned a study about Extracorporeal shock wave therapy to break them up. Did you have any therapy like that, or know anyone or any stories of someone who did?

To me, someone like Chav would benefit from this Ultrasound, too, to see what his prostate is actually looking like. Maybe he has tons of calcification harboring bacteria, and that's why he can never fully kill them off? Maybe he needs shock wave therapy or something similar? But step one is radiology, right?

Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:58 am

I disagree about ultrasound scans being useful with inflammatory conditions. Even if ultrasound finds something, there could be something else going on that could be found on MRI or CT scans. MRI is the best imaging tool, especially if contrast is used as part of the investigation as inflammation would show up as white.

For locating sites of infection, I know that Nuclear Medicine investigations with radiolabelled Ciprofloxacin has been used in research to detect the site of bacterial infections, e.g. http://prostatitis.org/redirect.php?lin ... rofloxacin

Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:25 pm

Once upon a time I did attempt to find someone who would do ESWT and failed in that attempt. Don't have any good answers to your questions unfortunately.

Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:06 pm

Maclondon wrote:
For locating sites of infection, I know that Nuclear Medicine investigations with radiolabelled Ciprofloxacin

This sounds great to me. But how do you get a doctor to actually order an MRI? Mine only seem to want to give me prescriptions for antibiotics, IC, and alpha blockers and say "there's no answer". Maybe it's something to do with me being in the USA. Chav also seems to not have had any MRI/CT. This sounds like the next step for both of us.

Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:12 pm

Depending on the cystoscopy results (which probably I need to do) I'll do a MRI next. In my case it's quite easy because the PT asked for one already but I said that I needed time to rest from those tests (it's quite stifling to me). He asked for both one of the lower back and another of the pelvis but for some reason they only made the lower back one so he said "when you decide to do the next come back".

I'm sure that there is something there difficult to cure, maybe calcifications, maybe a biofilm, or maybe that those infections are all consequences of a mild injury in the pelvis.

Today I went for running and I felt that zone burning a lot while I was running. It's not pain, simply it feels like too hot, like if the blood when passing there is burning. That's the same feeling that ruins my erections, sexual pleasure and orgasms. Antibiotics are not doing anything. It's time to do more tests and researchs aside of cultures.

Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:46 pm

Chavalote wrote:
Depending on the cystoscopy results (which probably I need to do) I'll do a MRI next. In my case it's quite easy because the PT asked for one already but I said that I needed time to rest from those tests (it's quite stifling to me). He asked for both one of the lower back and another of the pelvis but for some reason they only made the lower back one so he said "when you decide to do the next come back".

I'm sure that there is something there difficult to cure, maybe calcifications, maybe a biofilm, or maybe that those infections are all consequences of a mild injury in the pelvis.

Today I went for running and I felt that zone burning a lot while I was running. It's not pain, simply it feels like too hot, like if the blood when passing there is burning. That's the same feeling that ruins my erections, sexual pleasure and orgasms. Antibiotics are not doing anything. It's time to do more tests and researchs aside of cultures.

you are so lucky that you can get access to these tests and drugs... here ive asked for certain tests and never get them.. really annoying... id be getting your MRI asap so that you have some more information.. why wait?

Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:56 pm

Logcrusader wrote:
you are so lucky that you can get access to these tests

I agree that he is very lucky. I just got this email back from my doc's nurse about MRI and other imaging: "[he] doesn't order MRI's for symptoms of prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain because MRI's have never shown to be helpful in determining the cause of these symptoms. Many men who are referred to us have had them done by their referring doctors and they are always normal."

This doctor is supposed to be very good with this condition, as it's pretty much his sole focus for his study. I don't understand what the harm is in just looking. In my opinion, a clear MRI is still valuable information, but who am I to say as I'm not a doctor, right? Anyway, Chav, I'd go for it and see what can be determined.

Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:00 pm

Try asking to a physiotherapist. The urologist who I'm currently visiting said that he would do a cystoscopy rather than a MRI. Another urologist told me that he usually don't request MRIs. If you go to a physiotherapist and you say that you suspect that you have something wrong in the pelvic zone that is causing a chronic prostatitis maybe he will prescribe you one.

I have an appointment with the urologist in September 5th. I think I will do a MRI before. I'll go to ask for it to the physiotherapist. I think it can be more informative than a cystoscopy.

Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 25  Next