Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 30 yr old, new to prostatitis (longer post) 

Post 30 yr old, new to prostatitis (longer post)
Dear fellow forum members,
I am really happy to find this forum. Thanks in advance for your time in reading this post. I am 30 yrs old, otherwise healthy, and was recently diagnosed with prostatitis. It has been, so far, one of the worst experiences I have encountered. I wanted to share my recent experiences below.

Symptoms began a little over two weeks ago, and they were quite sudden -- burning and discomfort when urinating, frequent urge to urinate, and penile pain, as well as pain in the groin and lower back. I have never had these symptoms before. I was worried I had a kidney stone, and so I went to the A&E Dept of a local hospital. The doctor diagnosed me with a urinary tract infection and gave me a 3-day supply of nitrofurantoin antibiotic and advised me to drink plenty of water. He did not perform any urine tests or culture. Unfortunately, I was not well-versed in male urinary tract infections at that time, and so I just followed his instructions -- now, I know that UTIs in males are very rare (and usually a sign of a larger problem), and also that nitrofurantoin does not penetrate the prostate well.

I went to another more international-standard clinic the next day; symptoms continued. The GP ordered a standard urine (dip-stick) test (which showed no blood and no bacteria -- but this was not surprising, he said, given that I was already on nitrofurantoin). An abdominal X-ray showed no evidence of kidney stones. This GP then instructed me to stop taking the nitrofurantoin and instead take cefuroxime axetil antibiotic (brand name Zinnat). I was given a 5-day supply of this antibiotic, along with Ibuprofen and Citravescent (an OTC medicine that makes your urine more alkaline). Over the next few days, I noticed less burning and less pain when urinating, but a new symptom manifested itself -- a feeling that I couldn't empty my bladder completely, as if some urine was still stuck. This caused significant discomfort and burning because it felt like the surplus urine would flow back into the bladder and slosh around. This also created the urge to frequently go to the bathroom, even though only a bit more urine would come out.

I finished the 5-day supply of cefuroxime axetil antibiotic, and symptoms did not improve, and so I decided to see a urologist. I explained my symptoms, and the urologist immediately said the first doctor I saw (i.e., the doctor at the A&E Dept) should have ordered at least a urine (dipstick) test, and a urine culture should have been done. He said the choice of antibiotic by the second doctor (i.e., the cefuroxime axetil) was also not ideal because it's not the first choice for front-line antibiotics against prostatitis. He then said that UTIs are very rare in males, and so he diagnosed me with prostatitis. He also did a DRE, and said that my prostate felt fine. He then ordered a urine culture, but noted that the results may be skewed because I had been on antibiotics. He prescribed me a 14-day supply of levofloxacin (500 mg/day). The urine culture results came back a few days later and were negative for bacteria.

So far, I have been taking the levofloxacin for a week, and it has not been of much help. I do not have pelvic pain; the main symptoms include a frequent , burning urge to urinate (even just after urinating), continued feeling that I can't empty my bladder, and discomfort/bruning from feeling that leftover urine is splashing around and irritating my bladder and penis. Urine stream this past week at times has also been dotty and weak, although most of the time it seems normal. I don't have a fever (a fever was never one of my symptoms), and there is not much burning/pain when I actually urinate. But the frequent urge to urinate and unempty bladder feeling are always there. I know it's not "in my head" because when I sit down to void right after I finished urinating, there is extra urine that comes out.

I have a follow-up appointment with my urologist after I finish the levofloxacin, and while it is my hope that I am cured at that time, I'm also preparing for the worst -- i.e., that this is not simple bacterial prostatitis.

The symptoms have been very frustrating because they came on rather sudden, and my general quality of life has declined. I'm a teacher, and there are days when I have to stop lecturing in the middle of class so I can run to the bathroom due to the urge to urinate. Looking back, it's not too dramatic to say that my life changed two weeks ago when the symptoms started. This experience so far has also made me appreciate the smaller things in life that I previously took for granted -- e.g., the seemingly simple act of urination -- how I miss that feeling of normal urination!

Thanks for reading. I wanted to share my recent experiences in case they might be of help to anyone reading -- takeaway message is, if you manifest similar symptoms, get your first doctor to do a urine test and urine culture.

I'd also appreciate any thoughts or advice from experienced members on this forum.

Thanks.

Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:57 pm

Post Re: 30 yr old, new to prostatitis (longer post)
Reading through your post it seems you have taken three antibiotics yet there's no infection that's been found, people will tell you that its an hidden bacteria I'm not irresponsible enough to tell you it isnt it just seems unlikely.

The first thing I will say is you now know more about your circumstances it doesn't seem to be an enlarged prostate which is good so take that as a positive. I would also so say continue to see the urologist to rule any other problems out, it may be bladder related such as IC there are nerves in and around the bladder that can cause those symptoms so I'm sure the uro will do ultra sound and bladder tests so make sure you tell them about not being able to fully empty your bladder.

And please do keep posting updates as there are a lot of people with experiences that maybe similar to your own who can help.

Try not to let your mind come up with the worst ideas and don't just accept its infection unless you get a positive result, I say that because forum members have had results from resolving intestinal disorders, diets etc so if you notice something that correlates with the symptoms worsening or improving even if its stress make a mental note and try to find out what your individual circumstances are.

Hope all goes well and you find help.

Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:43 pm

Did your symptoms begin after sexual contact? Many guys here have experienced similar symptoms after oral sex. You should ask your urologist to perform a prostate expressed secretion culture on you. That is far more accuracate than urinalysis and should help identify whether it's bacterial or not. If you experience burning sensations during the test, it is more than likely an infection. You can also ask for an alpha blocker like flomax, it will relax the prostate and bladder neck so that you can urinate properly. Hope this helps, write back if you have any additional questions.

Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:49 pm

Dear teaking and Inflamed:

Many thanks for your responses and well wishes. Teaking -- I will be sure and follow-up with my urologist about other tests (I am in fact waiting for a call back from him about scheduling more tests). I will definitely provide updates as to the tests and the like. I am also not sure if it is a bacterial infection or not. I've read a lot about levofloxacin, and apparently some have written it takes some time to penetrate prostate tissue, so perhaps it may take longer than a week to feel better? But I am not sure. Anyway, you are right -- I should try not to let my mind think too much about this (admittedly, this is has been the only thing I've been thinking/worrying about 24/7).

Inflamed -- the short answer is no -- I have not been sexually active for some time now, and the symptoms did not manifest themselves after sexual activity. Thanks for the tips regarding the prostate secretion culture and the alpha blockers. I'll ask my urologist about those.

Thanks again for reading. I live alone and am single, and I don't really have anyone to talk to about prostatitis and these issues, and so it's great that this forum is here.

I will update everyone soon after I learn more from tests, my urologist, etc.

Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:45 am

Urine cultures are for UTIs, if you have a prostate problem, you don't need a urine culture you need a prostate excretion fluid culture (as Inflamed said). Most urologists don't do this probably because they find it is a bit gross. Personally I wouldn't take a long course of fluoroquinolone antibiotics (e.g. cipro) unless you have the proper test done. Fluoroquinolone antibiotics can cause long term joint pain and digestive issues, to name a few, the Dr does not normally tell you this. This disease can have many different reasons underlying it. It sounds like your symptoms haven't been going on for very long, so I would get a proper test done if you can, try not to worry and focus on the appropriate diet for prostatitis sufferers. It is likely that your symptoms will pass with time. Avoid bike riding.

Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:55 am

One thing of note in relation to Flomax, it can cause retrograde ejaculation issues. To circumvent that, arc downward when ejaculating. It can also give you a stuffy nose, but decongestant nasal spray seems to clear that up.

Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:26 pm

Thanks so much for the replies.

Chris85 - thanks for your encouraging words. I have also read about the dangers associated with levofloxacin antibiotic. Indeed, I have stopped doing some anaerobic exercise that I used to do, out of fear of hurting my muscles and tendons. To share with others about my side effects experiences while on Levofloxacin - I have general stomach discomfort, gas, pretty painful stomach cramps one day after a bowel movement, weird and extremely vivid dreams (sometimes multiple ones per night, which each wake me up - I think I could consider a career writing fiction novels and stories based on some of the dreams I've had), and fatigue. I do feel fortunate I haven't had extremely serious effects.

Inflamed - thanks for more information about Flomax.

Symptoms were worse today (which again leads me to believe the antibiotic isn't helping at all), including a constant burning urge to urinate, difficulty voiding (urinary hesitancy), and the continued "un-empty bladder" feeling. My urologist called me back today, and he said he will see me this Thursday. I will write with some updates after my appointment.

Meanwhile, there are some things I've discovered that have helped to be more comfortable, just to share in case they may be helpful to Forum members suffering similar symptoms:

- I sometimes feel better after a hot shower, especially when I take the shower head and let the hot water massage my groin area - the urge to urinate is slightly reduced for a bit of time
- I have put a large pillow on my office chair, and I try to keep a good posture and lean back against the pillow, rather than lean/bend forward - I find this helps mitigate the constant urge to urinate
- when sleeping, raising my position helps (in other words, I don't lie flat, but elevate my upper body a little)
- heat helps when sleeping. I have a small electronic space heater-blower, and I have used that in my room - I find it helps generally relax me
- to ameliorate stomach issues while on the Levofloxacin, I eat some plain yogurt every day - but my pharmacist instructed me not to eat dairy products (or iron or antacid) within one hour of taking the antibiotic. So far, I have been able to have at least one regular bowel movement each day.

Finally, just to share with other Forum members the potential issues of taking a NSAID while on a levofloxacin antibiotic - one day earlier this week, admittedly out of a bit of desperation, I took some ibuprofen (an NSAID) because I read sometimes it helps relieve prostatitis symptoms due to its anti-inflammatory effects. I read about the potential risk for seizures and other central nervous system side effects due to this combination, but I still took some ibuprofen. There was no noticeable improvement in symptoms, and that night I had noticeable tightness in my throat (this was quite alarming because it made breathing a bit difficult), and I had extremely crazy and vivid dreams that kept me basically up all night. I won't take ibuprofen while on Levofloxacin again.

I hope everyone is well and also finds relief.

Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:04 pm

It is certainly worth finishing the antibiotics now you have started. Normal course time for prostatitis is 1 month.

Ibuprofen did not work for me either, but I tried naproxen and that eliminated 99% of my symptoms for a few months until bike riding aggravated the situation.

Actually these frequent urination problems could be either some very mild prostatitis or interstitial cystitis, which is often misdiagnosed as prostatitis in men. Usually prostate and bladder issues are intimately related to gut problems, so it is always good to try and make sure your gut is working OK because it can lead to many downstream problems.

Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:46 am

Historian10, that inclined bed thing caught my attention. Apparently there is something called inclined bed therapy. My brother uses an inclined bed for GERD.

Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:00 am

Levaquin works the kidneys hard, so do nsaids. Yeah man, probly not a good idea to combine the two.

Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:56 am

Thanks, guys. I have stayed off NSAIDs and keep eating a bit of yogurt everyday to keep my gut normal (although the Levofloxacin causes stomach upset and the like). Interesting to learn about the "inclined bed therapy", Jaumeb.

Symptoms have gotten worse yesterday and today -- namely, that nagging, relentless, prickly urge / sensation to urinate. Last night, within 1 hour, I had to go to the bathroom around 7-8 times. Each time I'd urinate a little, and then immediately have the urge to urinate again. Today, a 20 minute cab ride became torture, since I had the urge again (I was even seriously considering asking the cab driver to stop at a station, although I didn't) -- even though I had gone right before the cab ride.

I have my appointment with my urologist tomorrow, and I will let you know what happens and if I learn anything useful.

Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:22 am

Historian10, I knew that inclined bed therapy was effective for GERD. Some people I know use it for this purpose. It never occurred to me that it could be helpful for other conditions. It was you who said:
Quote:
when sleeping, raising my position helps (in other words, I don't lie flat, but elevate my upper body a little)

So I searched the web looking for similar stories, and this is what I found:

Quote:

Incline Bed Therapy for Nocturnal Urination

Posted By John (Escondido, California - USA) on 02/02/2009:

[YEA] "Up until last June, I had been getting up two to four times a night for years due to an enlarged prostate. Then one day I was painting the base of my bed and didn't want to set it back on the floor, so I put a couple barbells under the head to keep the painted base off the carpet. Hit the sack that night and woke up at 5:00 -- couldn't believe that I had slept all night. So, I went to the Internet to do some research and ran across the "inclined bed therapy" concept.

Now I'm at 6 inches high and sleep well every night and only get up once. Also had a cough that would wake me during most nights... that went away. Varicose veins have subsided. My wife no longer snores. This one simple move has changed our lives - and it can change yours. Regardless of the problem you have, try it and see what happens. I don't take any drugs and sleep like a log every night."

Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:23 am

A quick update for forum members following this topic -- as my symptoms have not gotten better (and in fact, on bad days, have worsened), my urologist saw me today. First, he told me to finish the levofloxacin (4 doses remaining), and he explicitly said, he will not give me more antibiotics to take at this time . Second, he told me even though I have been on antibiotics for three weeks, it is not surprising that my symptoms aren't going away -- he told me it may be my prostate has no active bacteria, but it is inflamed and needs time to heal. I told him I of course could understand that the prostate would need time to heal, but I also asked him why my symptoms haven't even improved, but have gotten worse. He basically said we need to give the prostate more time to heal after the antibiotic treatment. Third, he prescribed me some Vesicare, which he says I can take if I need to -- he said it will relax my bladder muscles and reduce the urge to urinate. Fourth, he ordered a CT Urogram (without contrast), which I will have next Monday. He explained this can help rule out any other problems, although he did comment that it is really for my peace of mind. He explained for prostatitis cases he generally wouldn't order a CT scan that early.

I asked him a couple more questions -- e.g., is a cystoscopy necessary, etc. He said he doesn't want to put me through a cystoscopy this early, and told me to do the CT scan first. Due to the advice I received from helpful forum members, I also asked him about the prostatic secretion test. He basically said we also don't need to do that, at least not now. Basically, the takeaway from him today was: give it more time. We scheduled another appointment about three (3) weeks from now -- he said if symptoms do not clear up by then, he will do more investigation.

Anyway, above is the update. For some reason I noticed my symptoms were not as bad today as the last few days. One thing I did differently today was drink water more gradually throughout the day -- taking sips throughout the day, rather than drinking a lot at one time. Generally, I seem to have good days and bad days. As for the Vesicare, I am reluctant to take it. My urologist gave me a 10-day dose, and he said once I start taking it, I need to take it everyday for the 10 days. I'm loathe to put more drugs into my system (especially after 3 weeks of antibiotics, including nitrofurantoin, then the cerufoxime axetil, and then 2 weeks of levofloxacin), so I don't plan to take it unless I have to.

I did pick up a few OTC things at the store today after my appointment, to help with symptom management. I got a bottle of GNC Men's Saw Palmetto Formula, which I am thinking of trying after I finish the levofloxacin. I also got some satchets of Citravescent, which is urine alkaniser and gastric acid -- it can help reduce burning and frequency. Has anyone also tried Avo or related products?

I'll provide an update after my CT Urogram.

And Jaumeb -- thanks for sharing that post re: inclined bed therapy and nocturnal urination. It has helped me, too -- one of my symptoms is this feeling that trapped urine flows back through my urethra and into my bladder, which causes discomfort. When I lie down flat to sleep, I notice this is more bothersome. Thus, inclining (perhaps through the help of good ol' gravity) seems to help. I now sleep with two pillows, which I use for incline.

Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:13 am

I'm sorry but what you were told sounds bizzare he's told you to take antibiotics yet there's no sign of infection, but won't do the eps test that will give a very good indication as to if it is an infection. At least you will have a ct scan to find possible bladder problems.

I think the first thing you need to know is, is it an infection and is your prostate enlarged? I mean no offence as I have had similar experiances but knowing what your current situation is can GI e you the power to heal, if it isn't an infection and your prostate is not enlarged then you can plan for that situation, if its bacterial you can find the antibiotic you need again no I'll intent meant I vet frustrated with drs sorry.

Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:19 pm

Thanks, teaking. He says the major issue is that the first doctor who I saw after I developed symptoms did not run any kind of test (e.g., urine test, urine culture) and just started me on antibiotics. He also explained that the general approach is to take antibiotics for a few weeks, since it is easy for bacteria to hide out in the prostate. I can definitely relate to your frustration with doctors. I am still frustrated with the first doctor who I saw -- if he had run the necessary tests, I'd have more information to go on.

I finished the levofloxacin yesterday night. My urologist told me at our last appointment that he won't have me take more antibiotics. I have noticed some improvement, starting in the past 2-3 days. The constant urge to urinate and frequent urination have subsided considerably. I also feel like I can empty my bladder after urinating. Urine flow has also improved, although I still have problems starting urination, and sometimes the stream stops half-way and then continues. There is still some dull pain and pressure in my bladder sometimes. In any case, I am not sure if the improvement is due to the antibiotic, or maybe just because my prostate is healing and inflammation has decreased. I have also tried to modify my water intake -- rather than drink a lot and quickly in a short time frame (e.g., downing a bottle of water in 10 minutes), I am spreading out water intake throughout the day. Perhaps this is helping.

I had my CT urogram (without contrast) today. They also took an X-ray. I'll update everyone on the results after I hear back. Meanwhile, my urologist will be seeing my near the end of this month (he told me to come back and see him later, to give my prostate time to heal).

Meanwhile, I'm hoping that there will continue to be improvement. I started taking probiotics today (got some from GNC) to help replenish the "good" bacteria in my digestive system and regain bowel regularity. I luckily didn't have diarrhea while on the levofloxacin, but it made my feces quite dry, which sometimes made bowel movements difficult which caused a little bleeding (noticed some light-colored blood when I wiped, probably due to anal fissures).

I will be praying for all fellow gents here that you will also find relief and be cured.

Will provide an update after I have more information to share.

Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:45 pm

historian10 wrote:
Thanks, teaking. He says the major issue is that the first doctor who I saw after I developed symptoms did not run any kind of test (e.g., urine test, urine culture) and just started me on antibiotics. He also explained that the general approach is to take antibiotics for a few weeks, since it is easy for bacteria to hide out in the prostate. I can definitely relate to your frustration with doctors. I am still frustrated with the first doctor who I saw -- if he had run the necessary tests, I'd have more information to go on.

I finished the levofloxacin yesterday night. My urologist told me at our last appointment that he won't have me take more antibiotics. I have noticed some improvement, starting in the past 2-3 days. The constant urge to urinate and frequent urination have subsided considerably. I also feel like I can empty my bladder after urinating. Urine flow has also improved, although I still have problems starting urination, and sometimes the stream stops half-way and then continues. There is still some dull pain and pressure in my bladder sometimes. In any case, I am not sure if the improvement is due to the antibiotic, or maybe just because my prostate is healing and inflammation has decreased. I have also tried to modify my water intake -- rather than drink a lot and quickly in a short time frame (e.g., downing a bottle of water in 10 minutes), I am spreading out water intake throughout the day. Perhaps this is helping.

I had my CT urogram (without contrast) today. They also took an X-ray. I'll update everyone on the results after I hear back. Meanwhile, my urologist will be seeing my near the end of this month (he told me to come back and see him later, to give my prostate time to heal).

Meanwhile, I'm hoping that there will continue to be improvement. I started taking probiotics today (got some from GNC) to help replenish the "good" bacteria in my digestive system and regain bowel regularity. I luckily didn't have diarrhea while on the levofloxacin, but it made my feces quite dry, which sometimes made bowel movements difficult which caused a little bleeding (noticed some light-colored blood when I wiped, probably due to anal fissures).

I will be praying for all fellow gents here that you will also find relief and be cured.

Will provide an update after I have more information to share.

Historian - a prostate massage would help relieve your symptoms. It's hard to explain, but when my symptoms began about a year and a bit ago, it felt as if I had a congested prostate - the massages really helped to alleviate that feeling.

Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:00 pm

I feel your pain. I had my first UTI when I was 22. No one did any special test except giving me antibiotics. The symptoms never went away except for the fever. Then I had my second episode of UTI when I was 32. The Urologist looked every where to find why I am having UTI. They gave up and said everything looks fine gave me flomax. I stopped using it since it did not help with my symptoms. I got up 2 times at night to urinate every day for the past 20 years. Now I am 42 years old. While reading about lower back and pain in groin area, premature ejaculation, weak erection, I stumbled across pelvic floor dysfunction site. I immediately made an appointment with a Physical therapist specialized in pelvic disorder (nothing to lose except $25 copay). I saw the physical therapist 2 weeks ago. I have never felt better. All my symptom went away with simple stretches the therapist showed me. The therapist said I have a tense pelvic muscle that resulted in the symptoms I have had. For the first time I had all night sleep without having to get up to urinate. Now I can sit on my office chair without pain. And sex is amazing again! Just try this, nothing to lose. By the way, my UTI is caused by injury to my pelvic floor due to extremely heavy lifting. I did not connect this when it happened. I am connecting it now. Do you remember any heavy lifting a few days before your UTI? Best of luck.

Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:28 am

Kitaw, by UTI do you mean Prostatitis and its symptoms. Do you know of any other pt's with pelvic floor training like a directory for the ones from herman and wallace but maybe another training academy? The nearest ones to me are in san antonio and i am near the mexican border. Wondering if there are any in my area but no such luck finding one yet. If anyone knows another school and its directory of pt's like herman and wallace...please let me know.

Thanks.

Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:49 am

Just make sure it is your prostate. If it isn't tender to the touch and doctor says it isn't enlarged then likely it isn't the source of the problem. Prostatitis is a bucket for pretty much anything that isn't immediately identifiable.

Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:20 pm

Thanks so much, gents, for these messages. They really help a lot. Today I experienced some rather new symptoms, including pain and pressure in my left testicle and the bottom of my upper left leg. It's not major pain, and it comes and goes, but it is noticeable and can be uncomfortable. Frequent urge to urinate has gone down quite a bit - still not 100 percent back to normal, but much better than the bad days I had about two weeks ago (like the day I had to urinate 7-8 times an hour).

Evilpog - I had a DRE over two weeks ago and my urologist simply said that my prostate felt fine. He didn't really elaborate. I will do a full physical checkup at the end of this month, which includes a PSA test - perhaps that will shine more light on this. Actually one of my worst days in terms of symptoms was the day after the DRE - I remember thinking - perhaps the DRE itself caused my prostate to be inflamed and sensitive, because the week and a half after the DRE were the worst in terms of symptoms. It also hurt to wipe after a bowel movement. In any case, I'm awaiting the results of my CT urogram, which should hopefully shine more light on the issue.

Kitaw - thanks so much for your suggestion and encouragement. I am so glad to hear you're feeling better - I am really happy for you! Haha - I actually made an appointment with a physiotherapist for later this month and will keep you informed. This physiotherapist specializes in patients with urinary and pelvic issues. I made the appointment because I also was thinking that my problem may be due to stress and tension in my pelvic muscles, which may have been exacerbated by these recent symptoms. At the very least, I'm hoping the physiotherapist can check if indeed my pelvic muscles are actually tense or not. Going to the bathroom is now a stressful experience for me, and I find myself tensing up - I have to remind myself to relax when I urinate. I sometimes think about waterfalls or running water too to help myself relax.. I didn't do any heavy lifting before symptoms started, although I was traveling for work a lot. In terms of exercise I did elevated diamond and chair pushups, but I have been doing them for months without issue. I've stopped though since I started having symptoms and while I was on levofloxacin, as I read levofloxacin can cause muscle/tendon problems.

Daks - thanks for the suggestion. I see my urologist again at the end of this month - he seemed reluctant to see me before then, telling me to give my prostate more time to heal. If symptoms continue by the end of this month, I'll ask him about prostate massages and see what he says. All he said last time was that if symptoms continue, "we will do more investigation."

Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:48 pm

eyeopeningepisode, Yes I had bacterial UTI when it all started. I had the second episode of UTI in 2005. I hope you find the physical therapists. The therapist started me with cow/cat yoga poses and a breathing technique to relax the muscles. It really helped right away. You can google other ways of relaxing the pelvic muscles as well.

Best of luck.

Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:28 pm

Historian10: For a day to day relief, you might also want to take Sodium Citrate until you see the physical therapist. Sodium Citrate alkalizes your urine. When your pelvis are tight and pinching on the opening of your bladder, that area gets irritated. Once irritated, your bladder does not like acidic urine. I have gotten relief by using Sodium Citrate. You can make sodium Citrate by squeezing lime juice and mixing it with small amount of baking soda. Baking Soda + Citric Acid = Sodium Citrate + CO2. The carbon-dioxide will bubble away. Add the baking soda in small increments until you do not see bubble anymore, so that to avoid ending with acidic drink. Then mix Sodium Citrate solution with water and drink it. It will give your relief for at least 6 hours. You can also use Potassium Citrate if you have health problem that restricts your sodium intake. Potassium Citrate tastes bad though.

Best of luck

Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:16 pm

kitaw wrote:
Historian10: For a day to day relief, you might also want to take Sodium Citrate until you see the physical therapist. Sodium Citrate alkalizes your urine. When your pelvis are tight and pinching on the opening of your bladder, that area gets irritated. Once irritated, your bladder does not like acidic urine. I have gotten relief by using Sodium Citrate. You can make sodium Citrate by squeezing lime juice and mixing it with small amount of baking soda. Baking Soda + Citric Acid = Sodium Citrate + CO2. The carbon-dioxide will bubble away. Add the baking soda in small increments until you do not see bubble anymore, so that to avoid ending with acidic drink. Then mix Sodium Citrate solution with water and drink it. It will give your relief for at least 6 hours. You can also use Potassium Citrate if you have health problem that restricts your sodium intake. Potassium Citrate tastes bad though.

Best of luck

That's interesting kitaw. Thanks a lot.

Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:23 pm

Am traveling and so have been away from my computer. Hope you gents are doing OK. Symptoms are continuing. Frequent urination has continued; I urinate approximately 2 times an hour. Luckily, I usually only get up once a night to void. I do feel like I've emptied my bladder after urinating, but I have to go again soon after. I keep well-hydrated, and my urine is basically light, clear yellow. I feel like my body processes liquids much "faster" than before - not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing. There's also pain, although not during the actual urination process - the pain comes after. The pain seems to be in the urethra and also in the left testicle. There's also pain spasms sometimes in what feels to be the area between the scrotum and anal opening. The pain comes and goes - it is a bit annoying. I'm afraid to take NSAIDs, so I have occasionally taken Tylenol for the pain. Not sure if I should try an Advil - since I'm no longer on antibiotics. Maybe it will make me feel better.

The nurse called me today and told me my CT scan report came back, and that my urologist wants me to meet to discuss the results. I asked her to tell me the results over the phone, but she said it is better for my urologist to explain it to me and that it's not easy to discuss over the phone. This was a little frustrating - I don't understand why they can't tell me the results over the phone. I asked her if there was a problem, and she just told me not to worry and keep my appointment with my urologist at the end of this month. But if there's nothing to worry about, why not just tell me the results over the phone? Sigh.

Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:34 am

Gents - a quick update. My urologist called me today and informed me that the radiologist report said there were no major issues. He said he won't discuss details though on the phone with me because he himself hasn't seen the film, and he doesn't like to convey specifics until he has looked up at the film himself.

Symptoms were a bit worse this morning, so I saw another urologist this morning (I am still traveling). He told me to take two more weeks of levofloxacin, explaining that the general antibiotic course is 4-6 weeks. He said what probably is happening is that my antibiotic regimen this month hasn't been constant and this "partial treatment" has left some unkilled bacteria in my prostate. I also did another urinary analysis and urine culture test today, which hopefully should be more informative since it has been a week I haven't been on antibiotics. I'll update everyone on the results.

Meanwhile, looks like I'll be back on levofloxacin for another two weeks. Hopefully it clears everything up, especially since there has been a one week break since my last levofloxacin dose.

Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next