Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Chlamydia/Prostatitis? Long Post - Need Help 

Post Chlamydia/Prostatitis? Long Post - Need Help
Howdy guys, new to the forum and I am glad i found it. Been suffering a few months from this horrible condition and I feel I am almost over it but hopefully you guys can help to make a full recovery with your suggestions/feedback. It's a long story but I am posting it all so that you guys can have the complete picture. Please be patient and thanks in advance. I have posted on medhelp and got no real help and also paid to post a question to dr. hunter handsfield on the american sexual health site and I will post his reply to me later, but first....

Here is my scenario:

I had a risky, outside the marriage encounter in late april (unprotected vaginal sex for 1 minute, no ejaculation with an also married girl i have known for a while), started feeling symptoms in mid-late may (slight clear discharge, urethra itching, frequent urination). In June I felt pain in the perenium/rectum and I finally went to see a dr. I had self medicated and taken flagyl thinking I probably had trichomonas due to the clear discharge......but when I didn't get better, I went in to see the dr. on Saturday june 6th. I had a swab done that day and got a shot of rocephin and prescribed cipro for 10 days. I started taking them but didn't feel too much better. This is usually taken to kill Gonorrhea.

Finally Thursday june 11th my lab results came back as positive for chlamydia and I was given 1 gram azithromycin. I instantly started feeling better within the next day or two and all symptoms disappeared within a day or two. 2 weeks after this, I felt that rectum fullness/pain, but no discharge or urethra itching. I went back to the dr. and was put on doxy for 10 days. He said it could be residual, like maybe the 1g azithromycin wasn't enough. After this course of doxy, I felt good. No rectal pain, no more symptoms. I thought I was in the clear. 2 weeks after finishing my doxy....had to return to the dr. because I started feeling that pain down there.

Its hard to pinpoint if its the perenium or rectum. Its as if it alternates. Sometimes I feel my anus puckering, sometimes it feels more in there. Both times I had seen my dr. he did a DRE and said my prostate felt a bit inflamed but basically told me that the medicines should clear that up. I did not feel intense pain when he pressed on the prostate, but did feel some pain. The final time I went to see him he told me it still felt a bit inflamed (prostatitis) and prescribed me cipro for a month which I started taking.

A few days after seeing my GP the final time, I went in to see a urologist, had urine analysis done, prostate exam (DRE), and told him my story. He said my urine was clean, the prostate felt normal and he didn't think there was any infection. He said that we could treat it, or stop thinking about it and keep busy and that my "symptoms" (mostly discomfort/fullness in rectum) would go away. He then said, lets just keep you on your dr's prescription of cipro for a month and next month we can do doxy for a month. (Finished cipro and the doxy since then.)

This was about August when I was taking the Cipro and I would feel good for a few days and then suddenly feel that fullness, as well as some tingle on the penis, itchy scrotum and itcy around the buttocks. Guys who I know that had chlamydia tell me its just the healing process, it could take a few months but that everyday you wake up and don't see discharge and your penis looks good again, not sick, you will get confidence. I agree with that but what about the rectal fullness, the perineum dull ache? This has got to be an infection in the prostate.

Is it possible for Chlamydia to get into the prostate and would these medicines have killed it? I am wondering if my symptoms are psychosomatic as is with Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome? I have read some horrible stuff where people claim they got info somewhere that sometimes chlamydia gets into the prostate and you are a carrier of chlamydia for life. Is this possible? I have also read tons of postings from doc Handsfield and Dr. Hook, where they always state that there has never been any proof that chlamydia is a cause of prostatitis. Some of those were old posts and some fairly recent. I asked Dr. Handsfield if this is still the case and he said yes. There has never been research proof that chlamydia is found in the prostate. (I recently found some studies on the NIH site that says that prostate secretions do in fact show chlamydia) I did not request a 3 glass study to culture for bacteria at the urologist, is this something that would work to find chlamydia if it is capable of getting to the prostate? I feel as If I waited too long to get to the dr. and this bacteria did make it to my prostate. But then again, why don't Asymptomatic carriers get sick if they could have it longer than I did and not even know it?

Do you honestly believe after 1 shot of rocephin and 5 days cipro, 1 gram azithromycin, 10 days doxycycline, 30 days ciproflaxcin, and 30 days of doxycycline, that any chlamydia could still exist in me? I am married and I want to believe myself that I am clear of infection and that so is my wife (she took 1.5grams azithromycin as well as 7 days doxycycline when I was initially diagnosed with Chlamydia. Do you think this is a case of CPPS, where I had a regrettable encounter that lead to infection and it's been cleared but now I am scared of something hiding in my prostate and causing me to infect my wife? I read where some guys were in my exact situation and docs told them to resume having unprotected sex with their wives and that once they see that their partners don't get infected, the symptoms (chronic pelvic pain/prostatitis) would slowly fade away. Do you guys believe this to be the case with me? I resumed unprotected sex with my wife and she has not gotten sick (unless she is asymptomatic, she hasn't tested).

Since finishing the 30 day course of doxy, The only thing I really feel right now is an ache in the rectum, like if my anus is puckering. I have been told its hemorrhoids, I have been told its the prostate still enlarged/inflammed but it will go away. I went back at the beggining of october to the urologist, after finishing my doxy in late september because I stll feel that rectum/fullness pain. and he said i should have no infection and told me to take rapaflo. I told him I do not have any urinating symptoms. I have had no trouble starting or urgency or waking up at night several times, etc.. He gave me a months supply and I am supposed to go back this thursday. I didn't start taking the rapaflo till about 2 weeks ago. Lately I have felt pretty good, the rectum fullness is almost completely gone, but on some days I will feel it more. I hadn't felt my penis tip sensitive in a long while till about 2 days ago. So I don't know if something is still going on with the prostate or the rapaflo is helping/hurting? Its just hard to pinpoint. I hardly ever have urinary symptoms. a day or two i might pee more than usual, but for the most part my symptom is the rectum fullness pain.

Could this rectum pain just be tight pelvic floor muscles? What do you guys think? Should i ask for a prostate secretion test to check for chlamydia. I don't really think it could be the pelvic floor. I think chlamydia could very well be in the prostate. All the while taking the antibiotics, I was taking florastor probiotic so I don't really think it's yeast, although my semen has always smelled like dough, not sure this is normal.

Thanks for your time and input guys.

Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:41 pm

Post Re: Chlamydia/Prostatitis? Long Post - Need Help
Welcome to the forum man, sorry to hear about the sufferings you've been enduring, but we can all relate. I am surprised they gave you Cipro for Chlamydia, it's not generally effective for that. Levaquin has a better kill rate with Chlamydia than Cipro does. It's definitely easier for antibiotics to take care of Chlamydia when it's found only in the urethra, but these days, it seems to work it's way into the prostate fairly quickly.

Since you resumed unprotected sex with your wife, when you get clear of the infection, you may be able to contract it from her again. Chlamydia can be spread to men either from oral, or from vaginal sex. Always use condoms unless you get her treated also.

Asking for a PES is definitely something you should do, just to make sure there isn't still an infection going on.

Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:16 pm

Thanks for the reply Inflamed.

After my lab results came back as positive for chlamydia...i got the 1 gram zithromax and my wife took 1.5 grams. We avoided sex for a month. But during this time...i had to go back and get retreated for 10 days with doxy. This was 2 weeks after taking my gram of zithro. While i did that she took 7 days doxy too. Sex was avoided during all this time, So i am pretty confident we got treated well enough to kill it in the urethra. When we resumed sex...we used condoms a while till about a month and a half ago that we resumed unprotected. She has not gotten sick and i have had no urethral symptoms like discharge and itching associated with chlamydia. Ive been off doxy for a month already. (Finished my 30 day cycle from urologist).

But do you think its possible the chlamydia is hidden within the prostate and this is what causes me the discomfort?

But

Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:53 pm

hi eyeopeningepisode,
having your wife do chlamydia /mycoplasma test would be the best option to know if everything is cleared up.
If you had unprotected sex with your wife before you took Zithromax then it would be very likely that you are getting reinfected by her.

You should read this topic, the op of this thread has a similar story as yours
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=991

chlamydia hidden in prostate? Most professional says it can happen, but if your symptoms are fading away you should be on the road of recovery.

Can you please tell us since when you're suffering?

Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:52 pm

lenivy9,

The exposure happened april 28th, i had sex with my wife about 2 times in May, before I started feeling any symptoms. Late May is when i start feeling symptoms so I avoided sex with her. I self-medicated myself with flagyl, 2grams, thinking i had trich. I had her do the same. My symptoms never went away so I was forced to go to dr. I went on June 6th of this year and had the discharge, clear. frequent urination, rectal pressure/fullness pain. I was given a shot of rocephin that day and prescribed cipro for 10 days or unitl i received a call back. I guess dr. was treating for gonorrhea. On June 11th got the call back and told I had tested positive for chlamydia. I was given 1gram zithro (two 500mg pills) and my wife obtained a 3 pack of zithro 500mg. she took 1 gram same night as I did and then another 500 the next mid day. We avoided sex during this time. 2 weeks after this zithro treatment, started to feel the rectum pressure again and went back to dr. he prescribed doxy for 10 days. my wife took doxy for 7 days during this time too. We avoided sex.

I don't have or haven't had any discharge or burning with urination since the 1gram zitrho. My only symptom now is that pressure in the rectum. This leads me to believe that chlamydia must have gotten into the prostate and is hiding in there causing me inflammation. And even though I have unprotected sex with my wife, the chlamydia is not disturbed by the sex or ejaculation, instead hanging out in biofilms or tissue. Thats why I asked if its a good idea to get a urologist to do an EPS test and test the secretion for chlamydia or what other organisms. I am pretty convinced this nasty little bug is in there still. If that be the case, what is a good antibiotic and dosage to kill it off once and for all? I have heard levaquin and azithromycin...start off 3 days azithromycin and then do levaquin for a month?

Any other suggestions? I have been suffering since about June.

Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:29 pm

Just wondering how you were able to explain everything to your wife, bet that was an interesting conversation, haha.

Last edited by Inflamed on Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:19 pm

:oops: ummmm she's naive. I told her it was a uti that i could give to her or her to me and that my dr. said she needed to take the same meds, just incase.I know i know, I am a bad person. :oops: I sometimes want to confess and just get us both fully tested for all these things (I have, was negative on all except chlamydia, haven't tested since.) But she would probably not forgive me and i'd have another problem on my hands. I'd like to think she is negative of everything considering shes received the same treatments I have at the same time for the same bug, so I just need to get over this prostatitis and never get into a mess like this again. Sorry guys, i know im scum.

Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:39 pm

Things happen man, it's life. Nobody judges you, so no worries there. I also learned a hard lesson in my dating days. If a married girl will sleep with you...she will more than likely sleep with everybody else also. This whole prostatitis thing is frustrating.

Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:14 pm

I wonder if in my case, its something similar to UNLUCKS case.. where he believes it was reactive arthritis. I wonder if that will be the case. I doubt my urologist knows how to do an EPS test. I will ask on Thursday, but honestly don't see him wanting to do it. I believe chlamydia is lodged in the prostate and is the cause to all this. Is this the pathogen you believe to affect you guys?

Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:29 pm

If I had to judge you I'd say you are a good person, you've messed up and you're trying your best to take care of your wife and to fix what have happened.
Doing a EPS test is the best step before taking another action, my doctor said mine will fade away over time and this is what I'm experiencing now it's been now exactly 1year.

Be carefull if you plan on using abx for a long time because it can really mess you up.

Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:28 am

I honestly don't know what I've got. I do know that Rocephin and Doxycycline are seeming to help me though, so it's kind of looking like Chlamydia in my case. Too bad my urologists have no idea how to run advanced cultures for it, other than straight up urinalysis. There's PCR testing avaialble for semen and urine, but they've never even heard of that it seems.

Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:39 am

lenivy9,

thanks sir. Yes I am trying to get through this and fix this mess I got myself into. I feel very little discomfort and thats it. I am guessing this will fade away too, but there is always that doubt that this bug is still in the prostate. I have my urologist appointment tomorrow and I will ask about getting an EPS Test. What should i know about getting one of these done? Pee first, don't pee first, etc??? I really doubt my urologist will want to do it. He has already told me I have no more bacteria because there is no way it could survive all the antibiotics I have taken. But like many people have suspected, I have come to a conclusion that chlamydia hides within the prostate tissues and does not get disturbed by sex/ejaculation, thus may not infect sexual partner anymore, however, does cause inflammation of the prostate which leads to the discomfort. I am guessing based on everything i've read. I believe this is why a urine test or semen culture may be useless to find it. However getting eps test, having the prostate massaged to collect the fluid for culture might break up where the chlamydia hides and force it out.

I have also received responses from Dr. Handsfield, an STD expert with over 30 years experience and he does not believe chlamydia gets into the prostate. But that doesn't surprise me cause most old school docs feel the same way. I can put his response to my original post if anyone is interested in reading what he has to say. He dismisses dr. toth in some other posts on medhelp, saying that there has never been any proof that chlamydia gets to the prostate and there is no research done or test results on dr. toths website....dismissing his claims.

Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:44 am

This Dr. Handsfield guy needs to update his education it seems. It's frustrating when these doctors (and people in general) think they know it all. They shut down, dig in their heels and deny anything that might come from outside their area of so called "expertise". The national institute of health is there for a reason, they should try reading it! lol

It's difficult to find competent physicians these days, I know what you're going through there, just have to keep looking. It might also help to ask in the forum for references to any urologists, or primary care doctors who will work with you and consider all possibilities.

That's actually a great idea for a thread sticky, physicians that help.

Dr. Toth has helped many guys, even some members of this forum have been cured from his treatments. When I had the injections done, it initially cleared up my prostate issues for a couple of weeks, but I had epididymitis at the time which reinfected everything else.

Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:19 pm

Hey guys......on my way to my urologist appointment. We will see how it goes. I am nervous as usual, but i will ask for an eps test and a sono i guess to check for over all health of the prostate. Not sure what will be done for me but we shall see.

Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:27 am

Well guys...nothing came of it. Urologist told me to stay on rapaflo for 2 months to relax the alpha receptors and the pelvic floor. He believes this is my issue and not bacteria. Dipstick urine analysis is clean. He says if in 2 months i dont feel way better...then he can do an eps test...which he has never had to do. Do you guys think i am chasing an infection i dont have or my urologist is clueless on finding it? This sucks. I wanted to know that there is no bacteria and work on the pelvic floor...or find bacteria and take the right antibiotics.

Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:25 pm

Man, I would find another urologist if it's still bothering you. Call around to various clinics and ask if they can, and will do an EPS test, or a Stamey-Mears 4 glass test on you. EPS test is such a minor deal, it's ridiculous that it's not more commonly done.

Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:53 pm

Hope everyone is well. I am doing alright myself. Still dealing with the only symptom being rectal pressure/discomfort. I am wondering if in my case I could have candida (yeast) overgrowth after all the antibiotics, or maybe an internal hemorrhoid or something along that line. I don't have the other pains and urgency/frequency that many of the others have. I don't have pain with ejaculation or anything like that. All I feel is rectal pressure/discomfort. Like if my anus is puckering. And this doesn't happen always, its every 2 to 3 days. I feel I am almost completely over this, but was wondering if anyone else reading this thinks it might be yeast and if they have ever taken any yeast treatment such as nyastin or diflucan. I have been taking florastor probiotic the entire time I started taking antibiotics, but I am not sure if these 250mg pills twice a day is enough to fight off the yeast. My rectal discomfort has faded quite a bit the last few weeks but not sure if its because of the RAPAFLO alpha blocker or just that I am slowly getting passed this. The rapalfo was prescribed by uro after he insists bacteria cannot persist all the antibiotics. Just wanted to update all on my topic and see what you all think.

Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:09 pm

I guess a week or two of fluconazole plus an apropriate diet tofight any yeast infection will kill any yeast infection you might have. Exercise, lot's of water and avoid sugars.

Glad to hear you are almost over it :)

Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:23 pm

Thanks Daident. I have 2 diflucan 150mg pills but not sure how long they last in the system and if two is enough. I hear they are super strong. I don't want to self medicate but am not sure what else to try. would a dr have some sort of way of knowing if I have yeast overgrowth in colon/rectum or would I need to see a proctologist or colorectal dr.?

Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:58 pm

I took a course of nystatin in 2013 and it didn't help. I tested positive for candida overgrowth in 2015 (stool culture). I also have fungal problems on my feet and toenails.

I think it important to avoid sugars and FODMAPs.

Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:54 pm

You would have to have a stool analysis done. Honestly I took fluconazole for a month recently and I was completely fine. No side effects, I wasn't even aware that it is that strong. I don't think 2 pills would make any difference though.

Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:25 pm

Hey Eye,

There's a stool test called a CDSA that will show what's going on with your body's flora. That test can help you balance things out and really get you back on track in terms of candida, and other species that shouldn't be overgrown. Diflucan is a minor thing (at least for me), some people take it for extended durations if their candida is really bad. You have to watch out for die-off symptoms though if you take it for a while, that can hit you hard.

Two pills shouldn't cause a huge die-off though, I didn't seem to have any side effects when I took Diflucan for about 4-5 days straight. Of course, I was still eating sugary things, so I may have negated any good the diflucan did, I didn't know any better at the time lol. Activated charcoal capsules (available at walgreens or cvs otc) or bentonite clay at vitamin shoppe supposedly takes care of die-off symptoms though.

Take charcoal after any medicines have been eliminated from the body (do some reading on antibiotic peak times and half life), otherwise it can remove the medicines also.

Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:42 pm

Has anyone reading this thread ever had chlamydia found in their prostate secretions? Or know of anyone who has had this found??? I know there is studies on the NIH website that suggest that it has been found, but we don't know if those guys had already been treated for chlamydia in the urethra and their prostatitis symptoms persisted after treatment and then they were used in the study, or if these guys had untreated urethritis caused by the chlamydia and the prostate secretions came back positive but probably because the secretions mixed with fluids in the urethra and that's how it was cultured.

Has anyone ever known of someone who caught chlamydia, got treated...symptoms persisted and kept testing negative for the standard std tests and upon getting prostate secretions test, chlamydia was found in those fluids??? I am just wondering if this bug has the capability of getting to the prostate...hiding there and remaining there, never mixing with urine or semen and causing urethritis or causing our partners to get infected, however, prostate massaging breaks the biofilms where it hides and then they get mixed with the prostate fluids and it is discovered this way?

Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:34 pm

Hey guys, have a urologist appointment today and really don't know what else to try, or ask for. He had me on Rapaflo, an alphablocker, for 2-3 months because he said it would relax the pelvic floor. I really don't buy that and I think he is clueless on my condition. I asked him some time back about an EPS test and he said he has never done one. He said we could try next time I saw him, but not sure if he will leave me worse off than I am or maybe I will find relief. My only symptoms really at the moment is a rectal pressure/discomfort and it's not real bad. It is kind of a dull ache, but still, I feel something there. Sometimes it's a bit more pronounced and that will cause some penis tip discomfort. I guess it's nerves being pressed on by spasming muscles. I really feel this is a pelvic floor issue so I've been trying to do the stretches in the HEAL PELVIC PAIN book. But I will always wonder if there could be a hidden bacteria in the prostate or perhaps another std I haven't tested for such as Trichomonas and/or mycoplasma or ureaplasma. Should I have them test me for those stds to rule them out? I don't have any discharge or burning with urination or ejaculation, etc...just the rectal discomfort. But I've never tested for those std's nor chlamydia again. Perhaps I should restest for all those and rule those out and clear my mind. Lately have had tons of anxiety over all this and that doesn't help the situation. Tell me what you guys think please.

Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:55 am

It doesn't hurt to get tested again. If you can, have your urologist perform the Stamey Mears test on you. If he doesn't know what that is, print the directions from online and take it with you. It involves a PES, and either 3, or 4 glasses of urine. They can also run a semen culture as well to see if anything shows up.

Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next