Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Saw a New Urologist 

Post Saw a New Urologist
This new urologist I saw actually had sage advice. He's a younger guy, mid 30's. He said this: For patients who have suffered from acute bacterial prostatitis, antibiotics do work. In fact, they work too well. As a result, they kill everything in the urinary system in terms of flora, good and bad.

So, after your infection is clear, you have unprotected sex again, whether it be oral, vaginal, anal and you are immediately reinfected. However, this time, the infection isn't from chlamydia, gonnorhea, mycoplasma, etc. It's from common flora that your body has no defenses to handle after several rounds of antibiotics. These are why cultures are negative. While you have prostatitis and after, for at least a few months, you must use condoms until your body's flora can regrow.

So, if your partner has been verified as STD free, and you have been verified as STD free, still use condoms! Common flora from your partner can wreck you until your host defense urinary flora can regrow.

I asked if there were ways to make urinary flora regrow faster, he said, probiotics. There are other things you can do as well, immune boosting aids, cardio vascular exercise...anything that increases blood circulation to the area. Also, if you have ANY digestive issues, this will slow down the rate at which good flora will regrow, those issues must also be addressed for overall health as well.

Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:35 pm

Post Re: Saw a New Urologist
Interesting post inflamed, and it makes sense. It explains why probiotics gives relief to some people.

Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:06 pm

I am pretty interested in probiotics at the moment, apparently they can increase t regulatory cells and promote immune homeostasis. I have a theory that my neuropathy in arms and knees is related to my gut because when I used a dicflocnac suppository it got really bad, and before it started I had GI problems, maybe I should try vsl3 or something?

Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:04 pm

Generation of regulatory dendritic cells and CD4+Foxp3+ T cells by probiotics administration suppresses immune disorders

Here this is the paper I saw in pnas. That is cool huh.

Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:06 pm

Also, some floral species naturally produce small amounts of hydrogen peroxide...which kills invading bacteria, whether it's good, or bad. Lactobacillus and a few others, some of which may be in the urinary tract. Apparently Vitamin D plays a huge role in stimulating urinary flora as well, from what I've heard.

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:17 pm

Hey Chris, you may want to start with something a little milder than VSL3 to see if you can tolerate it at first, up to you though. That is the strongest probiotic out there and is around $60. It has 120billion per capsule. Might want to start with something cheaper at first, less strong to see if it causes any digestive issues, then work your way up. Sometimes they can cause gas, possible stomach upset. I've personally never had a problem with VSL3 though.

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:24 pm

Inflamed,

What other probiotics less expensive and more accessible can we try? I'm also interested because I suspect my health problems and the guts are related.

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:47 pm

Ok I'll probably give it a shot sometime, thanks.

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:47 pm

Chava, anything at Vitamin Shoppe would probably be fine. Typically you want to go with a probiotic that has several lacto and bifido species, with a high count of each. Usually the ones they keep refrigerated are better. I was told to take probiotics on an empty stomach, that way the acid doesn't kill them and the majority of which will make it into your digestive system.

You could also research beneficial urinary flora and try to find a probiotic that contains those species. I hadn't actually thought of that until now. I'll have to look into that.

Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:28 pm

Any concrete example of one I can find in my country? I'm very lost. I asked to the general doctor about probiotics but he didn't know much. I've tried kefir and bifidus yogurts but it seems that's not enough. I need anything more, how can I say it? Decisive? Anything that really proves if my problem is an unbalance in the guts bacterial flora.

Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:59 pm

What country are you in Chava? You can make your own yogurt I believe. I think that probably adds back way more good bacteria than anything you can take capsule wise.

Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:43 pm

I live in Spain. I'm talking about taking a good probiotic to see if I improve, to have clues. Kefir and yogurts are not enough, I think. Maybe the gut bacteria flora is too damaged and poor. I need something strong, but not dangerous.

Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:14 pm

Inflamed,

What did this new Urologist do to you for tests?

Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:19 pm

He did a urinalysis which was negative in his office, so he sent it off for a culture. He also did a urine cytology to see if anything else was going on. I either have inflammation, or infection from a routine bacteria that isn't classified as a pathogen. He said that happens a lot with guys who have been on a lot of antibiotics.

Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:20 am

Recent studies have shown high dose vitamin d supllementation can help IBS sufferers, both from an anti inflammatory and helping digestion. I saw it on google news the other day so though I would pop it in a response :)

Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:38 pm

Inflamed,

So what course of action are you taking now?

Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:11 pm

Right on! Thanks Teak, I will give it a try. Having some digestive issues lately, this may help out.

Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:58 pm

teaking wrote:
Recent studies have shown high dose vitamin d supllementation can help IBS sufferers, both from an anti inflammatory and helping digestion. I saw it on google news the other day so though I would pop it in a response :)

Right. I read about one ibs patient that improved with vit d. I try to get some sun exposure as I am lucky to live in a sunny place.

Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]