Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Diagnosed and taking flomaxin and cipro 

Post Diagnosed and taking flomaxin and cipro
I have recently been diagnosed with prostatitis. My prostate was enlarged. What bothers is the tip of my penis is very sensitive. I feel the urge to urinate all the time. When I exercise the urge increases. My flow is just ok but the urge is all the time. Takes time for me to go once i try.
Has anyone had sensitivity on the tip of the penis? Very sensitive.

I am on flomaxin and cipro 500mg X per day for 14 days. Been on it for 5 days. Seems not to be getting better yet.

Making me nuts

Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:55 pm

Post Re: Diagnosed and taking flomaxin and cipro
sorry to hear of your distress and pain, i can sympathise with you , my penis end (meatus) has been very sore and tender since i first got prostatitis some 5 years ago , i have the same urge to urinate as you do and trying to get to sleep at night is very hard, i find that i have to lie on the penis so that the sensation to pee is disminished , i am on flomax to aid flow .
i find being stressed makes things a lot worse , so i try to be relaxed as i can possibly be.
( i have been diagnosed with prostatitis , BPH, thrush ) and have endured scans, cystoscopy 2x and had meatal dilatation aswell. still in discomfort , although i have tried proatate drainage (milking) and this seems to help me a lot.

Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:50 pm

Sorry to hear you have prostatitis and know how you feel with your symptoms as i myself have been suffering for over 4 years now and no let up.Been at different points on several meds as they don't help.I now only will even consider antibiotics if i have bacteria otherwise instead of putting harmful drugs in my body with all the bad side effects i would rather suffer.Flomaxin is good if your bladder doesn't empty and that is the only problem but for prostatitis it is proballly not going to do a hill of beans different.I was once on it and thought i was going to pass out as it drops your blood pressure and you bottom out so be careful.

Good luck.

Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:27 pm

Thanks for the posts. It is now about 7 days since i went to see my dr and had my prostate examined and I started cipro and flomax. I was away on business for 3 days. Not easy with this problem. Few questions if you can hep with the answers.

1. My Dr said should take two weeks to start feeling better. Let me know your thoughts.
2.It seems to maybe be getting better but I don't want to jinx it. I still feel the urge all the time and the tip of my penis is still sensitive but I am thinking not as bad. Still very uncomfortable. Very!
3.Should I be laying off the coffee and drinking alot of water?
4. I run alot and I find when I run I have the urge in a big way to go.
5. I am diabetic (I am in great shape, not overweight) just bad luck and genes. Does diabetes have anything to do with Prostatitis. My Dr didn't say so. I take insulin but not alot because I exercise and eat right.

Alot to chew here but this illness is almost dabilatating

Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:56 pm

Hi,no problem for the posts as much info as i can give you and to make your stess as less as possible is my pleasure.

Number1,
Can't say and no doctor can say you are going to start feeling better in two weeks.It's each person suffers differently and there is no cure so he is giving the positive attitude as to not to alarm you that this is a very frustrating and diabiliting condition,so let's hope you do start feeling better.Me i have had this for over 4 years.
Number2,
Stay off the coffee and soad and drink plenty of water and also drink the pure cranberry juice,not the oceanspray.You can get that in certain supermarkets and health food stores.
Number3,
If you feel that running causes you to have to pee then stop or try to limit how much you run as you could be irritating the prostate with the motion.
Number4,
Diabetes and Prostatitis are apples and oranges as the two have nothing to do with eachother.Glad that you are in great shape and keep up the good work and you will benefit overall with what your doing.I myself don't run but i do eat healthy and try and keep as fit as i can,remember one body one life.

Take care.

Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:31 pm

About a year ago I had my 3d or 4th prostatitus attack. In the previous episodes, Ciproflaxin was very effective and symptoms ended rather quickly. However, in the attack last year, my MD and I assumed Cipro would work again, and so I began a regimen with that medication. It did not work. Symptoms got worse and worse and I was up every 20 minutes all night with a lot of pain and urgent run to bathroom and then nothing happening. So they did a culture and discovered that the bug I had was highly resistent to Cipro. The culture showed that it was highly susceptible to Amoxicillin/clavulanic acid. That drug was highly effective and the terrible symptoms soon were over. However that time that I was on Cipro, about 8 days or so, were awful. I was on the verge of being admitted to the hospital.
So you might ask your MD about Amoxicillin if cipro does not give you relief.

Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:56 am

Hi,sorry to hear about you going nuts with this prostatitis.I can relate to you and just give you my feedback and opinion as a sufferer of prostatitis for 4 yrs now.I never had sensitivity at the tip of my penis but has pain at the tip as well as urgenecy to urinate often.If your prostate is inflamed and or swollen it is going to be somewhat enlarged just because of what i mentioned.If you have been given cipro and you have no infection/bacteria showing in your urine chances are you are not going feel better as your doctor like many are just treating the symptoms and not getting to the root cause.As for the flomax as i have been on that too and didn't do a thing for me except make me sick and felt like was going to pass out that's another drug that gets passed out to patients as far as i am concerned like candy as that does not and is not going to help with prostatitis.It might help if your only problem is you can't pass unrine and your bladder doesn't empty completly.Again because there is no cure and to make the patient feel better in their head drugs get prescribed to hopefully help and the patient gets some relief more then anything.

Hope to feel better.

Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:40 am

Thanks for all the posts. Went back to the Dr for the second time and my prostate was better. Not as big. The first time when he massaged my prostate I almost went thru the roof. This time wasn't as bad. The symptoms have been better but the urge to go is still there. I will go urinate and then 15 minutes later I get a slight urge. If I go when i get the urge it takes a while to go but I do go. It doesn't hurt when I urinate. My badder is empty and my flow is good but I seem to always have the urge to go. I am no longer on Cipro and have 1 flomax left. 30 days. I may stay on flomax for a while but I have a feeling flomax isn't helping. I started taking Quercitin as I heard its good for the prostate. My DR doesn't want to do anything evasive yet. If the urge remains I may go get scoped to make sure nothing else is causing this.

The whole thing is maddening. I just wish it would get back to normal.

I must say it's alot better from the start when I had pain and so much sensitivity. I would say the sensitivity was almost like having an organism. Yikes!

Whats crazy I read all these posts and it seems no one knows what causes this and there are no cures.

If I drink alot of water i god like crazy.. My flow is good.

Happy Thanksgiving

Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:30 am

Hi,my friend and Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.Glad you are feeling better and that your symptoms are not as servere as that is good.Good that you on not taking the Cipro and you only have i of 30 flomax left as i don't think you even need the flomax as with having inflamation/swelling it's not going to do a thing except put a drug in your body and for me i don't do drugs unlesss i absolulty need it.I hear you on having the urge to urinate often and that itself is annonying to say the least.You can read up on prostatitis and you will see there are no cures and the ones that advertise they have the CURE! is not doing anything except self promote.I say and being around at 55 that for a price anyone will do anything and not always in your best intrest but in their pockets as one who had wriiten me and complimented on my posts i said you know there is no cure and for you to say you can help and come see me and do all the treatments and supplemnents and to me all the false hope is not in good faith.Needles to say never heard back,how surprising!

Take care,

Gary

Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:09 pm

Yes its better but in my opinion there is a cause and effect for everything. Hard to believe that nothing can be done to help.

Something is causing me to have urinate all the time. What it is, who knows!

You are right about drugs. I hate taking them.

Just such a frustrating thing. The sensation to urinate and tingling feeling is enough to want you to scream.

Later

Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:14 pm

Hi again,yes i do believe there is always case and effect and i for one knows in my heart more can be done.If a man can be sent to the moon which cost money to fund it and the tecnology to design and operate a ship to do this there can be more done not only for this condition we all suffer from as well as many other diseases and chronic conditions.For me my opinion and anyone that can see clearly too much money in it for the drug companies to make a drug to mask things opposed to finding a drug that actually cures,keep people at bay and we all share in the pie.Yes mabye blunt but very true in my opinion and all the so called cures that will see advertised,treatments,supplements,injections none are a cure but more about money then anything.

Take care my frimd and hope you feel better.

Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:37 pm

hey gary, 5 days is nothing for prostatitis. my uncle took cipro for prostatititis and he says he didnt feel any better till he took it for 2 weeks. he ended up taking it for a month and it cleared him up. he gets it about every 4 yrs.

i am afraid of Cipro due to joint issues it can cause and my joints are not strong going in. so i took bactrim for a month with maybe 50 % reduction of symptoms. then i got a skin rash and stopped the meds till i can call my urologist and see if cipro, for a limited run, like less than a month, would work for me.

i am a bit lost right now about it all.

Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:16 pm

Hi,i know 5 days of Cipro is not going to even skin the top for prostatitis but on the other hand if you don't have an infection/bacteria whether 5 days or 5 weeks or even 3 months Cipro is not going to do much as all that your being treated for are the symptoms.I had been treated and given Cipro for 2 1/2 months because of my pain,discomfort,urinating often,pain at tip of my penis,buring when i urinated and it made very little difference.

To much meds for a lenght of time is more harmful then beneficial unless it's something that you need daily to keep you alive.

Hope you feel better.

Gary

Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]