Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 My prostatitis mystery... 

Post My prostatitis mystery...
Hello guys.

My prostate symptoms started a year ago very mildly, just some random biting pains and light burning during urination.
So, I visited an urologist who, after a positive semen culture to enterococcus, prescribed a 1-month antibiotics treatment with amoxicilin and ciprofloxacin.
Interesting fact is that during the treatment (after about 20 days), my symptoms worsened significantly and lot of new symptoms appeared, like discomofort after ejaculation, pain after prolonged sitting etc.

6 months after this treatment my symptoms had faded enough, but still very annoying. So, I tried another urologist who ordered another semen culture. This culture was again postive to enterococcus, so I started 1 month treatment with prulifloxacin. Same as while previous antibiotics course, my symptoms worsened significantly instead of getting better after some days of the treatment! I'm in the same situation till today and I have stopped second course of antibiotics 2 weeks before.

I have never heard a guy with prostatitis worsening while on antibiotics especially when he has positive semem cultures, so I would appreciate any idea you have guys on my prostatitis "mystery".

Some "hints":
During all these months I have tried many supplements (quercetin, saw palmetto etc) with little to no success.
The biggest "wow-effect" was when I tried the first pill from a probiotic called saccaharomyces boulardi which went my symptoms from 5 to 0 (in 0-10 scale) for some hours. Consecutive pills of the same probiotic didn't have the same effect though :(
My urination frequency was and is pretty normal.
My PSA was 1.0, 6 months before, now it is 0.98.
I have some biting 1 second pains in unrelated parts of body especially finger endings of both feet and hands.
Symptoms seem to completely disappear after 7-8 days of abstinence.

I wish a quick healing to everyone here and I'm looking forward to reading your ideas.

Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:47 pm

Post Re: My prostatitis mystery...
Studies suggest that all men have bacteria in their prostate and the variety does differ from man to man. That isn't saying that yours isn't a bacterial infection, but are you certain your prostate is the source of your pain? I was initially mis-diagnosed as having prostatitis, but after my current uro did a hard DRE which caused no pain I'd have to say I'm in the pelvic pain category.

Also post your CPSI score (Self-test on Prostatitis.org main page) if you wouldn't mind. Helps frame it up for us. My current score is about a 16 down from a high of 26.

Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:46 pm

Hello Evilpog,
I'm yet not sure that the cause of my symptoms is my prostate, especially because I don't have significant urination symptoms and also because during rectal examinations by my urologists I didn't feel pain, but just some pressure.

My score is also 16:
Pain: 9
Urinary: 0
Impact: 7

Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:16 pm

Look into pudendal nerve entrapment......... Could be a pinched nerve somewhere.

Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:38 pm

Yeah... My is 8 pain 8 impact and 0 urinary. Wish I could tell you what to look into, but I'm at a loss on what works. The solutions across the board anywhere from surgery to throwing chicken bones against a wall while speaking backwards.... Seems most people just get better one their own over the long run, but guess it can be accelerated with treatment depending on your problem.

Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:00 am

Hey guys just an update:
I took the results of my semen culture and the results were quite surprising:
Positive to enterococcus (still), but also to pseudomonas.
Doctor said to me that pseudomonas is probably the bacteria causing the problem and prescribed me another month of ciprofloxacin, but I'm almost sure that it will not work...

I would like to hear your suggestions / opinons...

Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:45 pm

Have you ever been tested for fungi? Candida can cause prostatitis which I know from personal experience. It also explains why your symptoms got worse with antbiotics which kill off organisms that keep candida in check. That's what happened to me. No doctor ever mentioned the possibility of candida. The only way I found out was because I developed a fungal rash on my penis. So I went to an urgent care center, did urine samples, and got Diflucan. Against medical advice I stopped the antibiotics and started Difllucan 150mg/day. Within a day or two most of the painful and irritating symptoms were gone. I had also lost my appetite which came roaring back.

I think I got it because I was leaking into my underwear due to BPH. Candida likes it warm and moist. It just got into my pee-hole and traveled to the prostate.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:35 am

Hello HappyDave,
How someone can be tested for fungi? Is it a blood test or something? Is it expensive?

Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:30 am

Why other testing you know that Entroccocus is responsible for your pain. Entroccocus is a very hard bug to kill!!!

Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:25 pm

noukos wrote:
Hey guys just an update:
I took the results of my semen culture and the results were quite surprising:
Positive to enterococcus (still), but also to pseudomonas.
Doctor said to me that pseudomonas is probably the bacteria causing the problem and prescribed me another month of ciprofloxacin, but I'm almost sure that it will not work...

I would like to hear your suggestions / opinons...

Hey, I just wanna say that I agree 100 % with HappyDave's post. I've been battling Candida for years, just about as long as I have my issues with my prostate. This could explian some of your symptoms worsening while on antibiotics, as antibiotics kill off so much benefitial organisms in your body that fungus often grows and mimics or adds to prostattis symptoms.

I too, like yourself, have tested postive for Enterococcous. What I'm starting to realize is really important, is that if you want something at least close to a cure, you have to use an antibiotic that either has optimum penetration into the prostate (Cipro is usually what does the job well), or an antibiotic that the Enterococcous is succeptible to.

from Wikipedia
""Being Gram-negative bacteria, most Pseudomonas spp. are naturally resistant to penicillin and the majority of related beta-lactam antibiotics,"" ""but a number are sensitive to piperacillin, imipenem, ticarcillin, or ciprofloxacin.[17] Aminoglycosides such as tobramycin, gentamicin, and amikacin are other choices for therapy.""

Keep us posted how you do on this treatment, but you may have to try something else...

Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:08 pm

@Shaky
I'm not that sure that Enterococcus is actually the cause of my problems (or at least the root of them), as throughout last year the only time I had a negative Enterococcus culture was the worst time in terms of pain / discomfort, and also I had a positive Enterococcus culture during the best time in terms of pain/discomfort. Furthermore, my white-cells are pretty low at 0-2 pfu.

@ithurts
How did you confirm that cause of your problems were due to Candida. Did you had a blood test or something?

Fortunately, pseudomonas has not been detected in my last 2 semen cultures and GRAM +/- PCR test, so my doctor said that the positive result for Pseudomonas was due to sample contamination.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:29 pm

Where do you do all these test? What are they checking for on pcr?

Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:08 am

noukos wrote:
Hello guys.
Interesting fact is that during the treatment (after about 20 days), my symptoms worsened significantly and lot of new symptoms appeared, like discomofort after ejaculation, pain after prolonged sitting etc.

6 months after this treatment my symptoms had faded enough, but still very annoying.

I see this post is pretty old. Any progress on your case?

Holy hell, this is my exact reaction to all kinds of antibiotics that can penetrate the prostate! While I was taking them, the infection (or just the inflammation) even spread to my testicles. (I took amoxicillin, cipro and levofloxacin)
Right now, I don't know if I still have the enterococcus. (I probably have) I took a fortnightly break after one month of Levo and my symptoms weakened pretty nicely after 11 days to a bearable level.

Now I'm taking doxycycline, to which I responded pretty well earlier, but now it gives the same result. I assume the symptoms will weaken once I stop taking it.

But you know I also thought of a fungal infection. Not sure if my urine or semen have candida, maybe it wasn't even tested for that. I went to an std clinic to get myself checked for fungal infection as well. (urethra swab) Will see the results, and also I'll check with a dermatologist to check my urethra swab with microscope and prescribe something for me for that. That's where I'm at now.

Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:50 pm

@fhouse an update:
Enterococcus is still present in my semen cultures, so doctor prescribed me another course of ofloxacin for 20 days (6 days x 2 pills and after this 20 days x 1 pill).
I'm on 10th day of this course, and symptoms seem again to be a little worse than they were during the period I was not on antibiotics.

I'm still in doubt if actually enterococcus is the root of my problems, as I would expect some slight improvement after beginning an antibiotics course. I have had 5 antibiotics courses so far in order to fight my prostatitis, and none of them seemed to improve my symptoms. Furthermore, white cells on my semen seem pretty low for one having an infection, only 0-1 white cells pfu. However when I talked to my doctor about fungi etc as a possible reason, he almost laughed at me.

I think I'm going to try the anti-candida diet, as candida seems to be a possible cause of my problems. Adding to this candida sufferers seem to experience low body temperature and my body temperature is actually low, around 35.8-35.9 celsius. Does anyone else experience low body temperature?

@Shaky
I'm not from U.S. so I don't think it will be useful to refer where did i do these tests.
You can read about PCR test here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymerase_chain_reaction

Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:55 pm

My symtpoms weakened nicely after the doxy flareup, but there is still no breaktrough from Doxy, probably because I took it before and I'm resistant. But I think it's not antifungal therapy that helped. Interesting though that doxy somehow keeps my symptoms consistent. No big flareups.

This reaction might also be caused by toxins emitting because of the dying bacteria. (Herx reaction) Although I don't believe in this because normally this should be around for 1-2 days only. But for levofloxacin my symptoms definitely worsened over time.

They say there is something like Chlorella algae which is a good antitioxin, might worth a shot.

Or another theory of mine is that antibiotics irritate and scar the prostate itself especially the *floxins.

I wonder what will happen once I get off of Doxy...

Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:04 am

I had irritation in my urethra for a few years following a UTI. Living in Thailand I started consuming loads of these little probiotic drinks you can buy in every 7-11 out there. It set me right within days.

My symptoms returned 7 mouths back. So I tried every probiotic product I could find living here in the UK..... Nothing.

I'm tempted to have a quick holiday in Thailand just to drink eight gallons of that probiotic drink they have out there. I'd love to know whats in it?

Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:52 pm

Livehawk wrote:
I had irritation in my urethra for a few years following a UTI. Living in Thailand I started consuming loads of these little probiotic drinks you can buy in every 7-11 out there. It set me right within days.

My symptoms returned 7 mouths back. So I tried every probiotic product I could find living here in the UK..... Nothing.

I'm tempted to have a quick holiday in Thailand just to drink eight gallons of that probiotic drink they have out there. I'd love to know whats in it?

Couldn't you ask someone to send it to you? Or at least tell you what's in it ...

Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]