Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 SIBO(Small intestine bacterial overgrowth and prostatitis) 

Post SIBO(Small intestine bacterial overgrowth and prostatitis)
THere are studies that show SIBO and urinary tract problems are linked. I have been dealing with prostatitis and PSA bouncing up and down for over 5 years. And i was researching this, in light of when my prostatitis symptoms are at their worse, i either have diarhea or constipation which is also a symptom of sibo. I have been through the entire battery of tests, Cyso, Constant PSa checks, CT Scan, Ultra sounds on the prostate and even a biopsy. Nothing is ever found. I also had a colonscopy and endoscopy a couple years back, and all that was fine as well.

I am going to try a gastronologist that will test me for SIBO and Hpylori. These are breath tests, you fast for a period of time, then go in for the test. The tester has you drink sugar water then you breath in to a machine which measures the bacteria in your gut. If SIBO and Hpylori are found you are treated with Xifaxcin for 10 days to 14 days. Then you are instructed to maintain a low or no sugar diet and lower carb diet. As the sugars and carbs are what the small intestinal bacteria feed off of.

For those that are interested do a google search on SIBO and prostatitis or urinary tract problems.

Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:37 pm

Post Re: SIBO(Small intestine bacterial overgrowth and prostatiti
What i had was diarrhea occasionally like 4 times a month this was before prostatitis I guess the only explanation would be IBS or SIBO it was not triggered by anything just randomly happened. I guess drinking milk made it worse but now I drink all the milk I want, some gastroenterologist told me I was lactose intolerant and I don't buy that as no one in my family is. When I got prostatitis i had a flare up with the diarrhea and it ended up being 10 times per day for a whole month. The cipro helped me quite a bit but it was still frequent and daily. I went to a naturopathic doctor that told me about a salt water flush and also told me that excessive masturbation can cause it too but I did not excessively masturbate so that was not for me but he told me that he noticed in many of his male patients they were excessively masturbating. What cured me was a salt water flush and the results were instant. This is the only way to clear out the small intestines I think it all makes sense now the SIBO stuff and how I had diarrhea before too and this really cured it I never thought about it. Now it has been 3 months and my bowel movements are regular except for that time I ate spicy food. Even then I only had 2 bowel movements and 1 was diarrhea then after that it was normal. You try this, I only did it once and it cured me. Do this on a free-day.

You must use "Fine Grind Himalayan Sea Salt" 3 teaspoons or 1 tablespoon.

•First thing in the morning before food and drink.
•Add 1 tablespoon of Himalayan salt to 1 Quart of heated warm filtered or spring water.
•Mix the salt and water by shaking it so the salt is not all on the bottom and while you are drinking it shake it as well a couple times.
•Drink it within 15 minutes.
•Once you have drank it lay on your right side for 30 minutes, helping the fluid to leave the stomach more completely and flow into the small intestine.
•Then once you get up drink 1/2 to 1 quart of purified water within an hour.
•You will have several bowel movements in 1-2 hours in the mean time just walk around.
•Do not eat 6 hours after this and avoid coffee or tea just drink water.

This is very tough to drink but you must do it and follow the directions fully. Try to drink as much of it as possible, I drank almost all of it except 1 cup, at times it

may feel like your about to puke but you have to find a way to get through it.

This treatment seems to make sense to me, let me know how it goes for you. Definitely do this before getting on any meds you should also do it
regardless what the test for sibo say's because your symptoms.

Good Luck! I guess it flushes out the bacterial overgrowth. I really don't know, I didn't even know about SIBO just my symptoms.

Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:56 pm

I actually first went on a candida diet for a month which includes no sugar, white flour, yeast and cheese my doctor recommended it. This controlled my diarrhea very well. After all this then I did the salt water flush which eliminated it completely.

Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:12 pm

Sorry about all the separate posts I also want to add that I never had abdominal pain or cramping through all this and I had stool tests done all were normal.

SIBO is a condition where an abnormally large number of bacteria are present in the small intestine. This occurs when something interferes with the activity in the small intestine and keeps it from clearing away the bacteria as it normally would, thus allowing the bacteria to spread backward from the colon and into the small intestine.

-Dr. Amy Myers "
The standard treatment for SIBO is an antibiotic called Xifaxan. Because Xifaxan is not well absorbed throughout the body, it mostly stays in the gut and is very effective against SIBO. The problem with Xifaxan is that most insurance companies have approved it for traveler’s diarrhea, but not for SIBO, so it can be very cost-prohibitive for most people. In my practice, I place my patients on a diet low in carbohydrates and free of refined flours, sugars and alcohol. Also 4R"

1. Remove

Remove the bad. The goal is to get rid of things that negatively affect the environment of the GI tract such as inflammatory foods, infections and gastric irritants like alcohol, caffeine or drugs. Inflammatory foods such as gluten, dairy, corn, soy, eggs and sugar can lead to food sensitivities. I recommend an Elimination Diet and IgG food sensitivity testing to determine if any foods are a problem for you. Infections can be from parasites, yeast or bacteria. A comprehensive stool analysis is key to determining the levels of good bacteria as well as any infections that may be present. Removing the infections may require treatment with herbs, anti-parasite medication, anti-fungal medication or even antibiotics.

2. Replace

Replace the good. Add back in the essential ingredients for proper digestion and absorption that may have been depleted by diet, drugs (such as antacid medications), diseases or aging.

3. Reinoculate

Restoring beneficial bacteria to reestablish a healthy balance of good bacteria is critical. This may be accomplished by taking a probiotic supplement that contains beneficial bacteria such as bifidobacteria and lactobacillus species. I recommend anywhere from 25 -100 billion units a day. Also consuming foods high in soluble fiber is important.

4. Repair

Providing the nutrients necessary to help the gut repair itself is essential. One of my favorite supplements is L-glutamine, an amino acid that helps to rejuvenate the gut wall lining. Other key nutrients include zinc, omega-3 fish oils, vitamin A, C, E as well as herbs such as slippery elm and aloe vera.

No matter what your health issue is, the 4R program is sure to help you and your gut heal. I have witnessed dramatic reversals of chronic and inflammatory illnesses in a very short period of time by utilizing this simple approach."

Hope this helps you bill!

Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:31 pm

thanks for the advice. I will try it out.

I am going in Monday am for the SIBO breath test.

When I first had my PSA checked it was 4. That was ten years ago in 2005. At that time I may have had very slight prostatitis symptoms but did not realize that I did --- But I did have very bad heart burn and stomach problems diareaha and constipation bouts.

I went on aciphex for a month and it cleared up stomach symptoms -- then a couple months later the re-check of PSA showed it at 1.3 and PSA stayed below 2 until 2010, then it popped up to 4, then 5 then 7 in 2011 and I had biopsy, Ct scans, etc etc which was negative for prostate cancer. Ct scan found kidney stone which i eventually passed with lithotripsy treatment.

"And" come to think of it, I always kind of had a minor stomach irritation, heartburn and bouts of diarhea and constipation with the prostatitis when it came on strong, but endocscopy and colonscopy showed clear. - but these tests don;t get to the small intestine

after 2011 biopsy on prostate, Stomach kind of calmed down, then PSA slowly went down to the mid 2's. This summer i had a flare up of stomach problems and bad prostatitiis with PSA popping back up to 5.

I went on Prevacid for 30 days, and stomach calmed down and Prostatitis calmed down. Then I stopped prevacid, my stomach problems came back and so did prostatitis.

I have gone down every path for this prostatitis, muscular, and everything else you can imagine for the urinary tract, and nothing.

I hope this breath test shows SIBO! I am also going to get tested for Helio Pylori bacteria and get treated for this as the cause for prostatitis.

I want to get the psa down so i don;t have to go through another biopsy of the prostate.

Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:18 pm

I have taken high quality coconut oil an and Now Foods, Fresh Green Black Walnut Wormwood Complex to address intestinal bacteria.

So far so good. I do feel somewhat better.

Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:01 pm

The results of H-pylori were negative.

The SIBO breath test (Small intestine bacteria overgrowth ) was positive. Consulting with the gastro doc this week.

My thinking is he will prescribe xifaxin. That is most effective for SIBO. Hopefully this also addresses or calms down the prostatitis.

Will keep everyone posted on this.

Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:00 pm

bill_johnstl wrote:

The SIBO breath test (Small intestine bacteria overgrowth ) was positive. Consulting with the gastro doc this week.

My thinking is he will prescribe xifaxin. That is most effective for SIBO. Hopefully this also addresses or calms down the prostatitis.

So, were you prescribed an antibiotic? Is it making any difference? My husband is seeing his doctor tomorrow and he is going to ask about the breath test.

Trina

Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:35 pm

tcworld1 wrote:
bill_johnstl wrote:

So, were you prescribed an antibiotic? Is it making any difference? My husband is seeing his doctor tomorrow and he is going to ask about the breath test.

Trina

The doctor prescribed Xifaxin, have about 1 week left of the med. My heartburn symptoms, and irritable bowel symptoms are 100% gone. Prostatitis symptoms are about 60 to 70% better. I am not getting up in the middle of the night to pee. I just had another PSA test drawn. Should get results next week. Hopefully the PSA has remained stable or has gone down.

Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:13 am

Thanks so much for the update. We are in the process of our insurance company okaying the prescription of Xifaxin. I pray that he gets at least some relief.

Trina

Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:15 pm

tcworld1 wrote:
Thanks so much for the update. We are in the process of our insurance company okaying the prescription of Xifaxin. I pray that he gets at least some relief.

Trina

I wish you the best. I have had this for going on 6 years . some days better or worse then others. The xifaxin seems to help.
I also think diet plays a role. it seems when I eat low carbs, and no sugar, alcohol or coffee my symptoms are much less.
The FODMAP diet seems to helpful.

Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:56 pm

Update on my results from the treatment for SIBO as related for prostatitis

After 30 days on xifaxin, my prostate pain symptoms are about 70% to 80% better and my PSA dropped by 50% from the mid 5's in July to 2.5 when checked a week ago. Thats a huge relief as i am 55 on the PSA coming back down. Uro says that having a PSA that has gone as high as 7+ 4 years ago and dropped down to 2's is better than a PSA that goes from 1.2 to 1.4 to 1.6 to 1.8 over a similar 4 year period. The slow creep upward according to the URO is more insidious then PSA's bouncing wildly up and then down.

The IBS I have suffered from since my teens, but never paid much attention to is completely gone after the xifaxin. and the Gerd heart/burn symptoms I have had since my early 30's is gone.

I imagine my prostate having been so aggravated for years due to gut bacteria will take some additional time to simmer down to zero symptoms.

In my opinion there is a relation to a person's gut bacteria and urinary tract.

Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:10 pm

Hello Bill, I had prostatitis since I was 19. Was treated with antibiotics on and off for ten years. The antibiotics did indeed help when my prostate would get really enlarged/infected, but never got rid of the problem entirely. It wasn't until my doctor and I came up with a way to massage the prostate that I really started getting better, (that took about 8 years to get to that point!) In any case, after all the years of being on and off cipro, I started having some issues with my stomach. Doc said antibiotics had nothing to do with causing my stomach issues. I don't believe it. Anyway doc said I had gastritis and I was treated on and off with the same protocol, bland diet and aciphex. At first, it helped that was back in 2005. Started having attacks with my stomach more and more. it would go away for awhile, then I'd have another attack. Years ago whenever I was on antibiotics, I knew nothing about what they did, or how they can mess up the bacteria in your gut. Never was told about probiotics. There was no internet then. In any case, since then have had about every test done, everything normal. Still having tons of burping and upset stomach. Last time I was at the gastro doc, I was given a paper with different breath tests. One is for SIBO. I honestly wonder if this is what I have? I'm about ready to demand my gastro doc give me this test. I'm also beginning to wonder if bacteria in the prostate can also upset the bowels/stomach causing gas? I bet there most definitely is a connection. Did you have a lot of upset stomach/burping? Thanks for your time!

Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:41 am

tryingtohelpothers wrote:
Hello Bill, I had prostatitis since I was 19. Was treated with antibiotics on and off for ten years. The antibiotics did indeed help when my prostate would get really enlarged/infected, but never got rid of the problem entirely. It wasn't until my doctor and I came up with a way to massage the prostate that I really started getting better, (that took about 8 years to get to that point!) In any case, after all the years of being on and off cipro, I started having some issues with my stomach. Doc said antibiotics had nothing to do with causing my stomach issues. I don't believe it. Anyway doc said I had gastritis and I was treated on and off with the same protocol, bland diet and aciphex. At first, it helped that was back in 2005. Started having attacks with my stomach more and more. it would go away for awhile, then I'd have another attack. Years ago whenever I was on antibiotics, I knew nothing about what they did, or how they can mess up the bacteria in your gut. Never was told about probiotics. There was no internet then. In any case, since then have had about every test done, everything normal. Still having tons of burping and upset stomach. Last time I was at the gastro doc, I was given a paper with different breath tests. One is for SIBO. I honestly wonder if this is what I have? I'm about ready to demand my gastro doc give me this test. I'm also beginning to wonder if bacteria in the prostate can also upset the bowels/stomach causing gas? I bet there most definitely is a connection. Did you have a lot of upset stomach/burping? Thanks for your time!

I had gas, bouts between constipation and diarhea as well as cramping and belching. I don;t think bacteria in the prostate affected the bowels. I think bacteria in the bowels affects the prostate. in my case it was sibo. Thinking about my symptoms since i was a teenager, I think i have had this problem for decades. I always had symptoms of prostatitis and IBS. Since I finished 30 days of xifaxin, my gut seems to be almost normal for the first time in my life. My prostatitis symptoms have greatly diminished, and most thankfully PSA has gone down. I bet if i would have had a PSA drawn when i was a teenager it would have probably been high indicating an inflamed prostate. side note there was not PSA test back when i was a teen.

From what I have learned about SIBO is in your intestines, you have diverticuli. These are pockets in your intestine you are born with. bacteria can collect in this pockets and in there worse case cause diverticulitits. In minor cases you just have a vague sense of discomfort, and for some men it effects your urinary track. The SIBO test is cheap and easy to do. For people that have suffered with prostatitis for a long time, they should at least check themselves for SIBO.

Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:56 pm

Thanks so much for this thread guys.

My symptoms mirror the discussion exactly. I've suffered urinary tract problems ever since being prescribed antibiotics for a non specific UTI. I think the antibiotics prescribed messed with my good gut bacteria, which has never seemed to recover.

I've always founds relief by taking probiotic drinks but never understood why.

I've just read up on SIBO. Wiki recommends probiotics with FODMAP diet before resorting to antibiotics - so that's my plan for this following month.

Wed May 06, 2015 8:03 pm

Thanks for this thread. I have undiagnosed chronic pelvic pain and chronic digestive problems. I am convinced everything is connected.

Wed May 20, 2015 11:43 am

Thanks,
Like Jaumeb I also often have digestive problems.

I'm not sure I need further investigations but I've noticied that each time I do weird stools ( yellowish color, mucus ..) my symptoms are coming back.

Actually I'm taking probiotics... I need to find a doctor who will listen to me now :(

Fri May 22, 2015 9:58 am

This confirms many opinions I have. Many of us simply eat too much, often high fat/sugar food. Simply eating much less is a good move. I try to limit dairy and grains. These are my weaknesses, I don't like sugar much anyway.
Intestinal bacteria are relevant. Of course antibiotics can actually cause the problem. I occasionally use probiotics in powerful tablet form. I've found them to be very effective.

Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:25 pm

Keeping my diet in check and since the treatment with Xifaxin for SIBO, my prostatitis/Chronic Pelvic pain is 80 to 90% improved, Urinary frequency is normal, and if I go to bed by 11pm I can sleep through until 6:30am before waking up to pee.

The Gastro doc during the time of treatment with Xifaxin a few months back drew a blood sample and sent it to a special study for the "Von Culin" antibody. He recently reported back to me that I had an elevated level of this anti-body at that time. He also said this antibody is either triggered by food poisoning or a bad stomach virus. He also said it could have happened decades ago. As a result of the food poisoning or stomach virus, it messes with the gut bacteria, and over time causes inflammation in the nerves in the pelvis, aggravates the prostate etc etc. I recall having a bad stomach flu back in the very early 80's.

Gastro said FODMAP diet should continue and he also recommended Low dose Naltrexone.

I am doing ok right now, so I think I will avoid the meds and just stay FODMAP diet.

Due for a PSA draw in 3 months. Hopefully it has stayed the same or has gone lower.

Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:11 pm

Nibblet, which probiotic do you take?

Bill-johnstl, keep us updated about your progress. Curious about LDN.

Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:08 am

Bio Acidophilus in tablet form. Available from 'Bio Care', expensive but very effective.

Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:36 pm

Nibblet wrote:
Bio Acidophilus in tablet form. Available from 'Bio Care', expensive but very effective.

Thanks Nibblet. There are many probiotics and not all of them are equally effective. It is good to know which ones are working for you ...

Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:46 am

bill_johnstl are you still doing better after the Rifaximin course?

I wonder if this is what causes my prostatitis...

Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:52 am

Jaurum wrote:
bill_johnstl are you still doing better after the Rifaximin course?

I wonder if this is what causes my prostatitis...

I was doing better since I originally posted this, but have since had another flare up. My Sibo/gut symptoms are much better.

Maybe the antibiotic Xifaxin, had more of an effect on the prostate by penetrating the prostate.

Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:13 pm

bill_johnstl wrote:

Maybe the antibiotic Xifaxin, had more of an effect on the prostate by penetrating the prostate.

The rifaximin stays in the gut. It is a non-absorbable antibiotic.

Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next